Sam's Club

Sam's Club Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer

Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits are possible while improving your customer service skills (in 45 reviews)

• The oppurtunity to learn every aspect of the job and business Decent pay and benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you become salaried forget having work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• The one thing I got tired of was the constant push for Plus memberships or credit applications (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

MMSM

MMSM (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsDrive membership sales, support local managers and associates

ConsVery pressure filled, only #s matter, hours and travel are long

Enjoyable

Team Leader (Current Employee) Nas Meridian, MS (US)

ProsGood mangers and co-workers its fun to go to work

ConsMeeting the numbers is a challenge but it can be done

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others with respect and you will in return be respected

Asst Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat pay. Have great times at year beginning meetings. Always have a good game or talk at meetings,

ConsLoad of work demand is left on Asst Managers but bonus structure between Asst and Store managers was not far to Asst manager.

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure you are getting the best.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work.

Membership Associate (Current Employee) Daphne, AL (US)

Pros1) It's fun and faced paced 2) The opportunity for advancement, I have been with them for 4 months at this time and have been offered two promotions (accepted the second) will write a review on it when i have a feel for it. 3) Co-workers are fun to work with.

Cons1) Most positions start as part-time. 2) Many times the store is understaffed 3) Management consistently changes the rules making it difficult to be consistent with the members.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaffing and policy consistency.

A good place to start

ProsVery flexible schedule.
    Great opportunity to work with some neat people.

ConsLow pay
    Hard to be really appreciated

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time really encouraging your associates. It's hard to feel so under appreciated.

I had a pretty decent experience at the store I worked at worked with fun people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty good starting pay if you have previous experience.

ConsManagment seemed to come and go, and managment switched shifts alot.

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsVery relaxed work place , associates are helpful , managers are nice and help if they know you would like to move up. There is lots of room for growth with the company .

ConsThe hours are not great for partime and the constant up selling of memberships.

Proceed with caution...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wentzville, MO (US)

ProsVery common retail environment. Stress given on customer service to members, expect daily meetings (pep rallies) chants cheers, expectation on community service. Areas consist of a team lead and manager.

ConsNew or newer clubs have an emphasis on membership drives and once opened upselling current members to convert to premium levels. Lot of computer based training once hired that you are required to maintain.

Listen to your employees they are your best idea generators.

Team Leader (Current Employee) Strongsville, OH (US)

ProsDecent benefits. Culture is superior to the walmart side. Opportunities to advance. Better atmosphere than traditional retail.

ConsScheduling is horrid. Was once family oriented now straying away from that.
    Pay leaves much to be desired when compared to our main competitor. Hard to enter manager in training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWORK LIFE BALANCE NEEDS ATTENTION! Especially manager rotations I.e. Overnight manager, supervisor days off.(everyone deserves a weekend off sooner or later) Interns with ZERO experience becoming managers! GROW TALENT FROM WITHIN! RETAIN IT! ENCOURAGE! Pay scale has changed ie levels system ie removing or slashing incentives (Sunday, overnight premium, etc etc) expectations and job responsibilities keep increasing so how about we re examine our pay scale and incentives to the people that run the clubs and not the suits that visit once/twice a month. All area supervisors should be "managers in training" if no desire to manage then step aside and let new talent grow.

Work hard for little pay

ProsIt's a job, you meet a lot of nice members and some nice co workers

ConsYou trust no one in management , to much favoritism if your not on the mangers list of butt kisser , you get know where. The management is never happy you never do good enough. They hire to many part time people so they give know one full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to lead by example and remember you yourself started out at the bottom , till some one gave you a chance to move up. Let your workers know they are human remember with out the little guys the job don't get done.

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!