Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated 13 April 2015
260 reviews filtered by
2.4
Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas (in 37 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

Working here can be stressful but that is everywhere. If you have a good attitude, you will go far here.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quarterly bonuses are a plus. The pay is relatively decent. May depend on personal experience but great people working here. Some are clearly very intelligent.

Cons

Differences in business culture can at times be irritating but overall satisfactory.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and transparent with your employees. Listen to employee complaints and actually do something about it.

2. Cumbersome policies and systems

Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This employer provides decent pay and benefits are as good or better than many other places. Most of the employees are nice people and are hardworking as well.

Cons

The systems and policies make doing your job extremely difficult. The training provided for the systems if half-hearted at best with a complete lack of details and accountability for those trained. The vast majority of policies are put in place for unnecessary reasons and those responsible for enforcing them don't even understand how to implement them if any abnormality arises.

Advice to Management

The management should really take some time to sit with those actually doing the work and see what kinds of issues make the work difficult. I think they would be surprised to find that the hardest part of many peoples job is figuring out how to get it done by the rules.

3. Challenging environment

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Good bonuses. Some really great people

Cons

Challenging manufacturing environment. The semiconductor industry as a whole is very cyclical. Layoffs are always looming.
    Management is very rigid and not willing to hear ideas from some very talented employees.

5. The people make a tough job do-able

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an engineer I had interesting problems to work on. Great benefits. Management is trying to improve and the effort was appreciated. Fair practices for evaluations and pto. Very involved and generous with the community. Lots of talented, friendly people.

Cons

Crisis mode is default mode. Open floor plan with bullpens for non-senior staff which was very distracting. Burn out very common. Rules change at random. Poor communication. Can be a mentally and emotionally draining place to work.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating a more positive work environment. Improve meeting efficiency and reduce occurrence. Stop sacrificing long-term goals for short-term gains. Improve crisis management.

OK but have a Three Year Plan

Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For me I was there at the ground level when they started producing LSI in Austin so basically ever year I worked there I got to go to Korea, work on the latest technology, and work on fun and exciting projects with a real impact. Also benefits were pretty good. Not a bad place out of college for your first three years but you definitely hit a ceiling. After that just learn to play politics and maybe you can be leader of the site at best. Especially since they adopted this whole copy exact Austin is stupid policy. Reviews are easy just do a little bit and even if your are late they always give you 1's and solid raises.

Cons

- work life balance
    - company gives zero care about employees
    - they adopted copy exact from Korea without thinking and then revert when thats wrong
    - No longer get to think for yourself
    - below average pay

Advice to Management

Let engineers do engineering work, don't make them be secretaries implementing someone else's work.

Samsung Wins Best Workforce Bootcamp

Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Salary: Good but not equal to level of responsibilities among colleagues
    -Qtrly Bonus
    -Benefits: United Healthcare & Dental, Vision, 401K matches a %, Gym, Cafeterias, Get $60 cafe credit monthly, barbershop trailer, oil change in site
    - Great learning & exposure. You will learn what it's truly like to work in a fast changing high tech. manufacturing company.
    -You will learn to react when production plans change (Tough but good experience)
    -Samsung looks great on your resume, move on afterwards
    - ~20% Managers authentically care.

Cons

- Like the saying goes especially those straight out of college,"Samsung is like boot camp to the workforce. If you make it a year, move on!" Any other job somewhere else will be a piece of cake
    -Engineers career path should not be managers.
    -Don't expect to innovate! Innovation is governed by HQ. You can innovate by automating reports or reduce process time or how about qualifying process steps new recipes, parts.
    - Hire straight out of college and turn rate is 1-2 yrs. time wasted in training.
    -Promotions are given with time. Don't expect to be promoted if you just got promoted. It takes about 2-3 yrs before that happens again. No motivation to be innovative and work much harder if you know you won't get the credit/promoted for it. Get promoted, coast it for 1 year or 2 years.
    -Managers- Get in the fab! Do you really know what I do? Most promotions are within the mgr circle
    -If non-Korean expect to work extremely hard to become a favorite!
    -If Korean that sucks too! By default your a favorite but by default you must work long hours. You must do things outside of your job scope, respond to request from expats from any department expecting you to drop your priorities, Expect to be a translator.
    -Work long hours DOES NOT mean dedicated. Work smart.
    -With the long hours and if you are a tech, stay as a tech! Hourly vs salary
    -We do a lot of administrative stuff when we should be maintaining tools. If admins order office supplies,they can help order parts.

Advice to Management

HR: Continue to look at management. Favoritism still exist!
    Managers- It's ok to take breaks but should stop by the cafes around 2:45-3:30. You'll find your regular slackers that take longer than what a break should be! 1 hr. I know because I'm in the fab looking for someone and hear it from a person and a person and a person. Some drive off on several smoke breaks.
    Mgrs: ask support staff and engineers to provide action list. You'll find your waste.
    Communication needs to improve from tech to engineers
    HR: Serious all those awards at qtrly meeting! They don't mean anything! How about showing your project in your review and be awarded a % of project to your review? Guarantee you will find more initiative in improvement projects! It's already our job to innovate, improve and find cost savings improvements. It's called driven!
    HR: -Good move in hiring ex military! These men/women are who you want as mgrs. Tough, fair, motivating. Education paid for technicians to get their degree and manage.

A Tale of Two Cautions

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Unlimited free mediocre coffee throughout the facility, free parking, detailed instructions posted on front access doors about how and which doors to use to enter and exit the building, complimentary phone inspections upon leaving the buildings, great opportunity to be in an environment where using correct grammar is completely optional, huge separation between employees and decision-making management (10 + levels!!), free soccer on the front lawn, subsidized corporate dining establishments that are marginally less healthy than primary school cafeterias, and 100% total job security guarantee (provided that your vocabulary is restricted to the following words and phrases: "Yes", "Ok", "We will find the person who needs to fix that problem", "I'll get right on that", and "I love being part of this team" / "I feel like I am making a difference here"

Cons

When I was a young boy, I had an uncle named Horace. Horace came by the apartment where I and my 7 siblings lived quite often in order to help our mother take care of us, particularly during times when our mothers' nerves were as shattered as rapid-cooled obsidian due to our animal-esque behavior at times. Horace's favorite food to cook for us was something that he referred to as 'grilled cheese'. As a young boy, I was perpetually fascinated by the idea of melting cheese in a pan, but not as much as I was at the source of said melting action. Whenever he would set those cheesy bricks of bready goodness down, I would crane my head up to try to see the sizzling action. After a rapid series of deafening cuffs to my ears, I would eventually regain my hearing long enough to put together the general ideas that my uncle Horace was screaming at me. He would tell me that I shouldn't put my hands on a hot stove, because it can hurt a lot and make my hands get damaged. Even with this constant reminder, both verbal and physical, I still managed to reach for that delicious-smelling pan. Every time.
    As with Horace's cheese, so too did I find myself constantly warned away from Samsung Austin Semiconductor before I made the regrettable decision to uproot and land in this factory. Horace didn't warn me away from it, because Horace is serving 10 to 20 in Hattchawasee State Prison for horse thievery, assault with a deadly weapon, and jaywalking. Other people in the industry warned me (including all of you wonderful people who had tread before me by writing these helpful reviews about SAS here on GlassDoor).
    There are a great many things about this company that are frankly off-putting. My advice is to read through the comments and reviews that have been posted with the following rubric in mind:
    If you are desperate, young, unemployable elsewhere within industry, are comfortable with a job that you are nothing more than ambivalent about, enjoy listening to people either: complain chronically about their job or talk about everything but their job even when they're supposed to be doing work, are o.k. with assuming the workload of the aforementioned 'gossipers', are completely content to work for a company that sees you as little more than a tool that should have some measurable metric of output that can be used to determine your worth as a human being, are fine with a Human Resources Department that is just marginally operating within the confines of the law (and sometimes are so far out of employment law that one must assume that they've gotten some sort of express clearance and an a-ok from someone high up in government to make the sorts of claims that they do), and are completely content with having a leadership structure that consists of a decision maker (president) followed by a recursive loop of incompetence / ignorance / yes-person-preachers all the way on down to the level of the person (you) who is actually doing the job, then let me tell you: this. place. is. made. for. you.
    However, if you have a problem with the ideas of: you being recognized for your contributions to the team / company without fear of someone else blatantly taking credit for your work or managing to disparage your ideas publicly for the sole purpose of making themselves seem more competent than you or anyone else, being seen as a tool by management that is expected to work 60 - 80 hours per week (not that there is enough work in existence at the factory to warrant such hours) that are filled with countless trips to meetings that do nothing but serve as means for loud-mouthed people to talk about all of the work that they are doing (which is next to none) or are seeking to blame others for any failures that may be potentially assigned their way, being lied to by management / HR about pay increases / promotions / general policies / rules at the facility / reasons for everything and anything being done, feeling like you are valued, enjoying your professional life, having a set of skills when you eventually leave the company that are potentially marketable at another company / industry, having a set of software tools or access to data to enable you to do your job, working with a team of marginally talented people who rely on one or two 'rockstars' in the department to get all of the challenging work done while everyone else prepares powerpoint slides and justifies their continued employment by the number of poorly created summary 'statistics' generated within Excel, or the crippling feeling of self-loathing that accompanies the morning drive every day, when you decide that no, today is not going to be the day that you accelerate your car into that bridge support, but rather that you're going to just make that turn into Samsung Boulevard, switch off your brain, hide your self respect, and punch the clock for one more day of "do what some ignorant Korean in HQ demands that you do because they watched "Gung Ho" a bunch of times and think that the first half of the movie - where they think American Engineers are all idiots and should just blindly adopt a Zerg-like existence in order to be successful". If that sounds like you, please, for the love of your own sanity, life, well-being, and belief in yourself... stay. away. from this place. I promise you, you can do better.
    Think of me as your wise uncle Horace. Don't touch the stove... I promise I won't hit you with the back of my hand in your ears, but hopefully you'll listen without that.

Advice to Management

There is absolutely nothing that can salvage this factory from its own perpetual downward slide into mediocrity and inevitable failure. Without a complete and total management / culture / software / methodology / mindset / HR overhaul, there is no way in which this place can be a healthy career step for an American Engineer.

This needs to be fixed!

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

-Salary
    -Bonus Qtrly
    -Benefits: United Healthcare & Dental, 401 And matches, Gym, Cafeterias, Get $60 cafe credit monthly
    - great learning & exposure. You will learn what it's truly like to work in a fast changing tech. Manufacturing company. You will learn to react when production plans change
    (Tough but good experience)
    -Samsung looks great on your resume, move on afterwards

Cons

-like the saying goes especially those straight out of college,"Samsung is like boot camp to the workf

Buddy system at its best.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Good benefits.$60 for lunch, free parking,

Cons

Management's doesn't care if you are the best technician on your group unless you are a member of their buddy system, they like a person that focuses more on kissing their behinds than a person that actually wants to do the job they where hire for. You could be working on the lamest project that has no use and benefit to your tool set and to them you are golden. Fixing the tools will not put you in a good position with the managers here, you have to be part of their buddy system to move up.

Advice to Management

Start recognizing your good workers, the people that actually contribute to the success of the company.

Terrible Work Culture

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Some of the people are really great to work with

Cons

SAS grossly overworks their employees, without appropriate compensation (especially contractors). The culture is very negative overall. It is incredibly difficult to change departments, positions, and get promotions. Tons of office drama and bad politics. The Korean sister company feels like Big Brother, constantly interfering with production and policies.

Advice to Management

Relax and let youur employees do the jobs they were hired to do!

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Photos