www.samsung.com

Updated 19 October 2014
Updated 19 October 2014
2.7

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas (in 36 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Cutting edge, fast pace, great benefits

Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the front runners in the semiconductor industry! Fast pace allows us to compete in a tough global market. Benefits are out of this world! Engineering teams have a lot of great minds working for them.

Cons

Many decisions about our production mix are made overseas and they vary frequently. Difficult to maintain momentum in any direction when the priorities keep changing.

Salaries are a little low to compete with other technical industries within the Austin area.

Process technician

Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Benefits, starting pay. Shift differentials for night and off shifts. Compressed work week. PTO is ample and available. OT options.

Cons

industry conditions are cyclical, currently resulting in little money to spread to personnel.
    Very little advancement even for high performers due to annual review structure. This is standard in the industry and it is customary to move between companies in order to obtain pay raises. No acknowledgement or reward for loyalty or performance.
    Intense task saturation in some areas of the process. Like being an Air Traffic Controller with the recognition of a fry cook.
    Consequence, rather than praise-driven environment. "Do a million things right, do one one wrong you're gone"

more 24 hour amenities for a 24 hour operation
    more personnel support
    provide more frequent opportunities to advance.

This is the truth

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Cafeteria and starting pay basically

Cons

terrible management, you wont get anywhere if your not "buddies" with them. Even if you are the hardest working employee in your group, it will take you nowhere. Co-workers talk behind your back, specially the sock lickers who are afraid to get fired. You can do a million things right and wont get noticed, you do 1 thing wrong and you are about to get kicked out. Absolute worst company. You will get thrown under the bus and stepped over by those who want to go higher in the ladder.

Take notice of the real workers with integrity and forget about your "buddies" who dont do anything.

Appeals to a certain personality type

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Salary is competitive, and the benefits are outstanding
    We stay on the cutting edge of technology
    Dynamic work envornment- it's impossible to fall into a rut in the engineering groups
    Austin location

Cons

Priorities can shift rapidly. If you like to know what you will be working next week, you'll have a hard time with SAS culture/
    Lack of accountability to other groups- upper management loves their metrics, most of which are metrics of fab engineering's performance. This gives groups that don't actually contribute anything to the production process a dispropotionate voice.

Listen to the groups that actually make things happen in the Fab, not the guy reporting on the guy reporting on the guy reporting.

It's been great!

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As many have mentioned, pay, bonuses, benefits (health insurance, 401k, etc.) are all excellent. On site gym and cafeteria $$$ to spend to buy your lunch is good too. The community invovlement that the organization has is important to me, and I have enjoyed helping out where I can. They started a womens group this year too, where the women of Samsung can get together and network and talk which has been great.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas. People work long hours. But most everyone can take PTO when needed or wanted. I have concerns over management in my area....new manager does not know how to manage people. Was a good engineer, but bad manager.

Train your managers earlier - maybe before they become managers. Communicate better to those of us on the floor...we want to know what is going on.

it's brutal

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really I don't know. There's a cafeteria and gym, sure that's something. Then there's all these company-wide initiatives that never trickle down to the average employee. Most hardworking individuals never are allowed the time to partake in. PR really, you create so many events to do but people want to go home to their families, not come in on their one day off to clean up a park.

Cons

Lateral movements discouraged.
    Performance review forces bell curve and you may one day undeservingly be on the chopping block.
    Work never ends.
    No recognition for a job well done.
    No acknowledgement from senior management.
    There are groups that get away with much goofing off with very little responbility.
    Some departments are always left cleaning up someone else's mess.
    The job is only about one thing: firefighting; that is dropping whatever you're doing and doing the next thing immediately and working over time until it's done so it can happen again next week.
    You'll be paged all hours day or night.

Stop posting fake 4&5 star reviews, you are only making things worse. Sept 20, 2014 review by "CMP eng tech" is fake.

Samsung is a great company to work for . The only thing I was not satisfied with was the lay off from battling Apple

Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I did not find any problem with talking with people because I was an Engineer Technician.

Cons

There are a great deal of Security.

Management should never let their company cause a conflict with a customer as big as Apple .

Please close down now!

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing...yes pay, benefits, subsidized lunch is nice but at the cost of being a normal human being is not worth even 10x the benefits.

Cons

Samsung is one of the worst companies in the world to work for. The only people left are complete idiots that wouldn't survive a day at a real company. The only reason they have 3 stars is Samsung HR actively posts false positive reviews here, it used to be more humorous when the Koreans did it in broken English..,

Keep up your little "circles of trust" as the whole thing will come crashing down and everyone who tried to do the right honest things you walked over to move up will not forget.

Supervisor review

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

You get about 10 simple multiple choice questions.

Cons

They're general questions. For example, is your supervisor supportive to your work? No space to put specific comments in. But you get very specific annual evaluation that includes lots of negative things. Sometimes not even your own. Because they seem to try to average out employee evaluation. Those who are lazy and don't do much work will most likely get similar score as yours. It's better not to be eager to take work because if you make a small mistake, it'll negatively impact your evaluation and you'll get similar score anyway as those who didn't do much all year.

Create specific comment box in Supervisor evaluation

Reactive leadership, poor management.

Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Samsung takes great care of the employees, benefit wise - both hard and soft. Health insurance is excellent, pay is decent, 401k is not awesome but above average, quarterly and annual bonuses (annual starts Jan 2015). Quarterly average 1 to 2 weeks pay. On site gym which is decent, and monthly allowance/$$ matching for cafeteria.
    Also the technology is pretty darn cool - I don't like semiconductors but really it is kinda cool dealing with nanometer and angstrom sizes. There are some really good & knowledgeable people working there - techs and engineers. I am an engineer and have been in 2 departments as both an equipment and process engineer.

Cons

Reactive style work. You will ALWAYS be putting out fires - and I mean ALWAYS. Everything is a crisis and needs to be completed yesterday, even though the information was just released. We are also the "troubled teenage daughter" to the parent FAB in Korea. We would be shut down if it were not for several customers demanding the chips are made in the USA. Virtually all improvement ideas will be vetted by Korea, and many will be turned down only to be introduced a year or two later branded as original Korean work. Seriously.
    After 3 years there, I cannot name a single engineer (outside of management) that has been there longer than 5 years. The attrition rate for engineers is around 40% for a given department every 1.5 years. New people come in, get worked hard, and then leave. Samsung doesn't care....hey they are Samsung, everyone wants to work for them, so there will 20 other people lined up to take the role. And the cycle continues....

Honestly,, I could go on for quite some time. Bottom line, if you like semiconductors work here for a year to get your foot in the semicon door, then QUICKLY go elsewhere. If you are not sure you are passionate about semicons, avoid this place. Don't work here just because you feel "oh I need a job" . You will be sorry.

Nothing that they care about.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Photos