Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated 15 September 2014
Updated 15 September 2014
2.8

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • The insurance benefits are great, the people you work with are great (usually), pay is good but not great (in 21 reviews)

• This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • expectation is very high and work-life balance is hard to find (in 28 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

It's been great!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As many have mentioned, pay, bonuses, benefits (health insurance, 401k, etc.) are all excellent. On site gym and cafeteria $$$ to spend to buy your lunch is good too. The community invovlement that the organization has is important to me, and I have enjoyed helping out where I can. They started a womens group this year too, where the women of Samsung can get together and network and talk which has been great.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas. People work long hours. But most everyone can take PTO when needed or wanted. I have concerns over management in my area....new manager does not know how to manage people. Was a good engineer, but bad manager.

Train your managers earlier - maybe before they become managers. Communicate better to those of us on the floor...we want to know what is going on.

Process technician

Current Employee - Process Technician  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, starting pay. Shift differentials for night and off shifts. Compressed work week. PTO is ample and available. OT options.

Cons

industry conditions are cyclical, currently resulting in little money to spread to personnel.
    Very little advancement even for high performers due to annual review structure. This is standard in the industry and it is customary to move between companies in order to obtain pay raises. No acknowledgement or reward for loyalty or performance.
    Intense task saturation in some areas of the process. Like being an Air Traffic Controller with the recognition of a fry cook.
    Consequence, rather than praise-driven environment. "Do a million things right, do one one wrong you're gone"

more 24 hour amenities for a 24 hour operation
    more personnel support
    provide more frequent opportunities to advance.

Appeals to a certain personality type

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Salary is competitive, and the benefits are outstanding
    We stay on the cutting edge of technology
    Dynamic work envornment- it's impossible to fall into a rut in the engineering groups
    Austin location

Cons

Priorities can shift rapidly. If you like to know what you will be working next week, you'll have a hard time with SAS culture/
    Lack of accountability to other groups- upper management loves their metrics, most of which are metrics of fab engineering's performance. This gives groups that don't actually contribute anything to the production process a dispropotionate voice.

Listen to the groups that actually make things happen in the Fab, not the guy reporting on the guy reporting on the guy reporting.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supervisor review

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

You get about 10 simple multiple choice questions.

Cons

They're general questions. For example, is your supervisor supportive to your work? No space to put specific comments in. But you get very specific annual evaluation that includes lots of negative things. Sometimes not even your own. Because they seem to try to average out employee evaluation. Those who are lazy and don't do much work will most likely get similar score as yours. It's better not to be eager to take work because if you make a small mistake, it'll negatively impact your evaluation and you'll get similar score anyway as those who didn't do much all year.

Create specific comment box in Supervisor evaluation

Reactive leadership, poor management.

Current Employee - Process Engineer II  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Samsung takes great care of the employees, benefit wise - both hard and soft. Health insurance is excellent, pay is decent, 401k is not awesome but above average, quarterly and annual bonuses (annual starts Jan 2015). Quarterly average 1 to 2 weeks pay. On site gym which is decent, and monthly allowance/$$ matching for cafeteria.
    Also the technology is pretty darn cool - I don't like semiconductors but really it is kinda cool dealing with nanometer and angstrom sizes. There are some really good & knowledgeable people working there - techs and engineers. I am an engineer and have been in 2 departments as both an equipment and process engineer.

Cons

Reactive style work. You will ALWAYS be putting out fires - and I mean ALWAYS. Everything is a crisis and needs to be completed yesterday, even though the information was just released. We are also the "troubled teenage daughter" to the parent FAB in Korea. We would be shut down if it were not for several customers demanding the chips are made in the USA. Virtually all improvement ideas will be vetted by Korea, and many will be turned down only to be introduced a year or two later branded as original Korean work. Seriously.
    After 3 years there, I cannot name a single engineer (outside of management) that has been there longer than 5 years. The attrition rate for engineers is around 40% for a given department every 1.5 years. New people come in, get worked hard, and then leave. Samsung doesn't care....hey they are Samsung, everyone wants to work for them, so there will 20 other people lined up to take the role. And the cycle continues....

Honestly,, I could go on for quite some time. Bottom line, if you like semiconductors work here for a year to get your foot in the semicon door, then QUICKLY go elsewhere. If you are not sure you are passionate about semicons, avoid this place. Don't work here just because you feel "oh I need a job" . You will be sorry.

Nothing that they care about.

Over

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

You get to meet some other people that are like you, hard working, dedicated, and enjoyable to work with. These are the people that get you through the days, weeks, months, years.

Cons

Nobody wants the person above them’s job. That is sad and says it all. You go to work and hope to get through another day, counting the days that don’t royally suck, cause those are the best days.
    I watched as they fired some of the best management they had (which was not a lot) and watched other talent walk away. What upper management and HR does doesn’t make a lot of sense. They hope throwing one after another collaborative team at their problems will solve them, everyone’s team is the most important and of the highest priority. The annual meetings setting the direction of the company are pointless as they don’t provide any tools to the employees to accomplish these new goals and objectives. They should end those meetings with “Good luck, you’re gonna need it.”

In the end, when all is said and done, and you finally leave this company, you will ask yourself what you have done and if it was all worth it. And the answer will be no.

Good luck, you’re gonna need it

Needs a fresh start.

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will be paid. If you are an underperformer, you could do quite well at SAS. The ones who usually stick around are those that know how to get the minimum done and delegate the rest to somebody else. There are somewhat generous benefits from Samsung Electronics.

The pay is good starting out, not great but the rise from E1 to Senior is way too long now. If you have nearly perfect yearly reviews with no hiccups it will take you about 8-9 years to be called "Senior Engineer". After 5 years you could be making much more somewhere else.

Cons

There is way too much overhead on systems. Way too many systems. Simplicity brings clarity and focus on things that matter. It's like the complete opposite here. I feel like I have a headache every day I'm at work because there is no way to improve everything without starting over.

Real semiconductor training is lacking. It's all very basic or SAS specific. There is an abundance of training for LEAN, manufacturing, time management, etc. similar to military training. A lot of soft skills but none that really help you if you went to college. The gaps in between you have to fill in yourself.

Much of your time will be "putting out fires". It's all EXECUTE with no time ever for PLANNING or DESIGN. It's basically missing all the key ingredients for success. EVERYTHING IS URGENT.

The employee review system is stressful. The work is stressful. I work in a sub group of PIE. The workload is immense. Our team is very small for what we are being tasked with and we hardly ever get new hires. We also rarely get any of the freshers out of college. Even four HR staff have left in the first half of the year. At this rate, burn out is inevitable. I could go on but I really don't want to.

Literally start over. The innovation team is a joke. That's where all the political people go to get away from real work. All the rest of us have to do so much grunt work. You could improve the work greatly by getting engineers away from LOT MOVEMENT. That's a tech's job. This has no real engineering value.

Seems like a good company, too big to be agile

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor for more than a year

Pros

Depending on where you work, it can be extremely satifying. There is oppotunity to make a contribution, and have your voice mean something. The local management is under the direction of Samsung in Korea, so it can feel a lot like the Framers must have felt with "Taxation without representation."

Even with that, it appears as though Korea listens to some of the leaders concerns, but drives profits ahead of anything else.

Cons

Lots of opportunities to move within the company, and experience new things. Work/life balance is reasonable, and the teamwork is great. The intervewing process can feel a little strange, given that each hour can have 3 or 4 people in a panel interview.

When experiencing lapses in production, it is obvious that changes must be made. If the production is low and the leaders you have assigned tell you they are short staffed, consider bringing more people on. If the issue is quality of the product, consider revamping the quality department, not the whole company.

mediocre

Current Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Good benefits, not bad when wanting to get your feet wet in the semiconductor industry in Austin, TX

Cons

Some departments have some really bad, inexperienced people in leadership positions and it is a Korean company and you will be treated like a second class citizen if you are not korean.

Need to better learn how to be an effective manager or just get people that are qualified to be in those management positions.

Korea is not the problem

Former Employee - Semiconductor Professional  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Semiconductor Professional in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

State of the art semiconductor production facility. Benefits are compatible with other manufacturers - starting pay is median range.

Cons

A lot of reviews suggest Korea is to blame for the in inefficiencies and restrictions - the truth is its the American born captains in charge of this ship in Austin that are the root of the issues. They have become a syndicate from their last decade or so in a strange relationship of covering for each other while also battling for position and power with each other. Blaming each others groups is not uncommon, in fact it happens publicly with no regard for the impact on morale. During my tenure I honestly felt - in mid level management only - there was ~10% that were effective leaders that would provide guidance, mentoring and support to better their employees. The other 90% + the top tier management are in position merely by their tenure and their ability to survive in a visible highly political atmosphere. Management / leadership seminars are available however no change or impact seems to occur. Department vs Department fighting is constant. On several occasions I witnessed professionals being dressed down by managers publicly. Is this an atmosphere you want to work in? I chose not to anymore. No matter how many free $5 lunches you throw at an employee, nothing will ever make up for workplace humiliation,embarrassment and insecurity. There are better companies out there that practice the culture of respect and development of their employees. Samsung Austin is a elementary school playground with all the social hierarchy and drama that goes along with it.

Cut off the head and the tail will fall. You have a problem in the top chairs in Austin.

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!