San Jose State

San Jose State Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

San Jose State President Mohammad Qayoumi

Mohammad Qayoumi

Pros
  • Decent salaries (for state work) good benefits, an improving HR team, a bright future(in 5 reviews)

• Great Benefits and fun environment to work(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts from the government is downside that keeps the university from growing to its fullest(in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared with other Silicon Valley industries(even compared to other educational institutions like k-12 and community colleges)(in 4 reviews)

Good for a new professional, but tough to gain upper management experience and pay.

Academic Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGood place for a new professional to gain experience.

ConsVery little room to move up. Morale is low and talented staff are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to retain talented staff.

Friendly atmosphere.

Technical Services Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThe people were really a joy to work with. There were little lunch-time parties often, walks to the farmers market, and bring-in-baked-goods days. I could let me boss know if something really interested me, or if my work was alternately too boring. They would try to mix it up so everything got done without anyone feeling like a drone.

ConsSome of the work an be really tedious. A lot of organizing, stamping, filing, scanning.

San Jose State has good work ethic, active creative pursuit, and endless technological opportunities.

Associate Professor (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsI've been here as student, faculty, and staff. The community is very hard working. A large amount of work gets done by a small amount of hands. This is due to the nature of networking in which San Jose State thrives on. Friendly, dedicated, and passionate about their work. I enjoy living and exploring downtown San Jose as well.

ConsIt is a California State school. We are going through budget crisis as well as understaffed faculty. The negatives are more towards the cal state system rather than the school itself. I think most public schools are in a similar fashion. Upper administration I only hear of and in concern to being understaffed and not compensated for their endless efforts. This is also a large reflection of our educational system in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere really isn't much transparency between the upper administration and department administration. The turnover time between requests makes projects unrealistic.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great

Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsExcellent management team that cares about developing and encouraging young talent.

Conschallenging to provide services to a large number of students

Lab Intern was fun.

Lab Intern (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsNice, Helpful, Room for Growth, Weather is really great

ConsNo perks, environment is very slow at times.

Graphic Design Assistant

Graphic Design Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsFriendly environment and nice people. iHouse has a wide range of activities and events, students could get experience there, which may build up their confidence.

ConsThere are many traditions and rules that might be the challenge to do creativity projects. In addition, the majority of residences are exchange students, learning the good way to communicate with people who have different background is not a easy thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganising more activities for current residents. Moreover, reinforce the relationship with alumni, it could through sending newsletter, social media messages and so on.

Mixed Emotions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDepending who and which department you are working for your experience can very widely. I was working withing the Mechanical Engineering department under a part time faculty member Dr. Youssefi. My experience in this position was nothing but positive. I learned a lot mechanical design field and am glad I took the position.

ConsThe organization between different departments can be cumbersome and difficult to navigate at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove cohesiveness between schools and departments.

Student Assistant

Student Assistant (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsSalary was nice.
    Work gained me experience

ConsTo much work some times which made me work less on my academics

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are fine . no advices

Masters of Archives Administration Program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good teachers and excellent curriculum for advancing your career in Library Studies. Convenient and accessible online option to complete program.

ConsPerhaps the inability to complete the program sooner or other options to more easily complete the degree. Other than that, excellent school!

Education and Experience

ProsProvides plenty of opportunities to gain valuable experience in your field of choice. Lots of clubs, project teams, labs, and study abroad programs.

ConsAt times it is difficult to take certain courses which leads to reluctant substitutions or postponement.

Worked for San Jose State? Contribute to the Community!