San Jose State Reviews

Updated 24 September 2014
3.7

San Jose State President Mohammad Qayoumi
Mohammad Qayoumi

Pros
  • Good benefits; has some strong concentrations (engineering, business, etc) (in 6 reviews)

• Wonderful in environment to work in with like minded people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts from the government is downside that keeps the university from growing to its fullest (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared with other Silicon Valley industries(even compared to other educational institutions like k-12 and community colleges) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great school to work for.

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for, and there are a lot of very educated people working for this university.

Cons

Obviously people always want more pay, and that is true of this company as well, again my job was funded through the government, so there is not much one can do about getting a raise through your direct manager.

Great job! Keep up the good work!

Fantastic

Current Employee - Student Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Value for skills, Professional Attitude, Helpful, Good Mentors, Job is entirely different from my major, Chance to networking with other professionals at the university.

Cons

Physically exhaustive. Have to wear Headphones for most part.

Freshmen Orientation Leader

Former Employee - Freshmen Orientation and Transition Leader  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Freshmen Orientation and Transition Leader in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The connections you make, the leadership skills you develop, free housing and food over the summer. Oh and a stipend bonus on top of your promised salary!

Cons

The head hancho in charge is a bit strict but honestly, very understandable and willing to talk things out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing experience. Got to learn lots of new stuffs.

Current Employee - Instructional Student Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Instructional Student Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for less than a year

Pros

Best education til now. The social environment is very awesome. The Campus life is truly rocking. Lots of awareness programs everywhere. The staff is really cooperative. Lots of enthusiasm in extra curricular activities.

Cons

Challenges are that you'll get to learn new stuff. You need to give more working hours towards completion of the task.

Student Assistant Postition

Current Employee - Student Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you get to work with and the students you get to serve!

Cons

Low compensation, low opportunity for advancement.

Collaborate!!!

University Housing Services

Former Employee - Housing Services  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Housing Services in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about working here is the one on one contact with students.

Cons

The leadership is horrible. It's a very dysfunctional department and has been for many years. You'd be lucky if you were ever treated with respect and kindness from any one of your upper management leaders - and most of your co-workers. It's very prison like, if that makes sense. Move on, and find somewhere else to work. You will not be happy here.

Be nice to people and stop promoting a culture of separatism , negativity and hatred. The overall morale here has been fractured for several years, and no one has done anything to try and fix that. It' s department that allows it's managers to be rude and excessively controlling (read micro management) at will.

Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a remote position so it was pretty flexible. It connected me to the faculty of the department in which I was studying which proved useful later.

Cons

As a remote position, I felt disconnected from the task at hand, from other assistants, and from my manager. The pay was just a few dollars above minimum wage. The manager was honest when they said they considered the graduate assistants as mules, useful for just the work they provide. This manager was not interested in the GAs' growth.

Smaller campus.

I have been working at San Jose State

Pros

Teachers are hit or miss, same goes for the programs available.

Cons

Most students are commuters, less social life.

Stop cutting classes so the students can actually graduate on time.

Friendly atmosphere.

Former Employee - Technical Services Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Services Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were really a joy to work with. There were little lunch-time parties often, walks to the farmers market, and bring-in-baked-goods days. I could let me boss know if something really interested me, or if my work was alternately too boring. They would try to mix it up so everything got done without anyone feeling like a drone.

Cons

Some of the work an be really tedious. A lot of organizing, stamping, filing, scanning.

San Jose State has good work ethic, active creative pursuit, and endless technological opportunities.

Current Employee - Associate Professor  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been here as student, faculty, and staff. The community is very hard working. A large amount of work gets done by a small amount of hands. This is due to the nature of networking in which San Jose State thrives on. Friendly, dedicated, and passionate about their work. I enjoy living and exploring downtown San Jose as well.

Cons

It is a California State school. We are going through budget crisis as well as understaffed faculty. The negatives are more towards the cal state system rather than the school itself. I think most public schools are in a similar fashion. Upper administration I only hear of and in concern to being understaffed and not compensated for their endless efforts. This is also a large reflection of our educational system in general.

There really isn't much transparency between the upper administration and department administration. The turnover time between requests makes projects unrealistic.

Worked for San Jose State? Contribute to the Community!