San Jose State

San Jose State Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

San Jose State President Mohammad Qayoumi

Mohammad Qayoumi

Pros
  • Decent salaries (for state work) good benefits, an improving HR team, a bright future (in 5 reviews)

• Great Benefits and fun environment to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts from the government is downside that keeps the university from growing to its fullest (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared with other Silicon Valley industries(even compared to other educational institutions like k-12 and community colleges) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly atmosphere.

Technical Services Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThe people were really a joy to work with. There were little lunch-time parties often, walks to the farmers market, and bring-in-baked-goods days. I could let me boss know if something really interested me, or if my work was alternately too boring. They would try to mix it up so everything got done without anyone feeling like a drone.

ConsSome of the work an be really tedious. A lot of organizing, stamping, filing, scanning.

San Jose State has good work ethic, active creative pursuit, and endless technological opportunities.

Associate Professor (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsI've been here as student, faculty, and staff. The community is very hard working. A large amount of work gets done by a small amount of hands. This is due to the nature of networking in which San Jose State thrives on. Friendly, dedicated, and passionate about their work. I enjoy living and exploring downtown San Jose as well.

ConsIt is a California State school. We are going through budget crisis as well as understaffed faculty. The negatives are more towards the cal state system rather than the school itself. I think most public schools are in a similar fashion. Upper administration I only hear of and in concern to being understaffed and not compensated for their endless efforts. This is also a large reflection of our educational system in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere really isn't much transparency between the upper administration and department administration. The turnover time between requests makes projects unrealistic.

great

Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsExcellent management team that cares about developing and encouraging young talent.

Conschallenging to provide services to a large number of students

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for a new professional, but tough to gain upper management experience and pay.

Academic Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGood place for a new professional to gain experience.

ConsVery little room to move up. Morale is low and talented staff are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to retain talented staff.

Lab Intern was fun.

Lab Intern (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsNice, Helpful, Room for Growth, Weather is really great

ConsNo perks, environment is very slow at times.

Graphic Design Assistant

Graphic Design Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsFriendly environment and nice people. iHouse has a wide range of activities and events, students could get experience there, which may build up their confidence.

ConsThere are many traditions and rules that might be the challenge to do creativity projects. In addition, the majority of residences are exchange students, learning the good way to communicate with people who have different background is not a easy thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganising more activities for current residents. Moreover, reinforce the relationship with alumni, it could through sending newsletter, social media messages and so on.

Mixed Emotions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDepending who and which department you are working for your experience can very widely. I was working withing the Mechanical Engineering department under a part time faculty member Dr. Youssefi. My experience in this position was nothing but positive. I learned a lot mechanical design field and am glad I took the position.

ConsThe organization between different departments can be cumbersome and difficult to navigate at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove cohesiveness between schools and departments.

Education and Experience

ProsProvides plenty of opportunities to gain valuable experience in your field of choice. Lots of clubs, project teams, labs, and study abroad programs.

ConsAt times it is difficult to take certain courses which leads to reluctant substitutions or postponement.

Hard place to work

Resident Advisor (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsIt is a good opportunity to work with students in the college level. The campus is beautiful and the students are very strong and determined.

ConsBeing a student employee they would not take my feedback, even though they would ask for it. Nothing would ever change as things were getting worse and worse as the year went on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to leave as they are not effective in their positions. They say they care for the students but they don't show that at all. All of them are doing whatever they can to save their jobs by throwing others under the bus so that they look good.

Terrible

ProsPOSSIBILITY for flexible hours .... barely

ConsREALLY HARD to get schedule changes. Irresponsible management.

Worked for San Jose State? Contribute to the Community!