SanDisk

Updated 17 November 2014
3.5

SanDisk President, CEO, and Director Sanjay Mehrotra
Sanjay Mehrotra

Pros
  • Work life balance is good for the most part (in 9 reviews)

• good opportunities to learn different aspects and tackle challenges (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No Work-Life Balance, Limited promotion opportunity (though possible) (in 10 reviews)

• lots of politics and fading vision after M-Systems acquisition (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

rockstar

Current Employee - Rockstar in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Rockstar in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TimeInc. India is a fully owned subsidiary of Time Inc. TimeInc. India caters to the entire Supply Chain Management, Operations Management & Information Technology for Time Inc., & other group companies. TimeInc. India currently works in areas such as Market Research, Creative Operations, Advertising Operations, Analytics, Information Technology and Finance. TimeInc. India has a vibrant culture that differentiates it from other offshore centers.all positive

Cons

is one of the largest content companies in the world. With a portfolio of approximately 115 magazines and 48 websites including some of the world’s most popular, powerful and trusted brands, it is the largest magazine publisher in the U.S., and a leading publisher in the UK and Mexico. Time Inc’s popular brands and successful franchises extend to online, television, cable VOD, satellite radio, mobile devices, events and branded products. Each month, one out of every American adult reads a time Inc magazine and one out of every seven who are online visits our company websites.
    all negative

good

Good place to work mid-career

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work
    Good upper management
    Have a positive and determined outlook
    Future growth opportunities

Cons

Time-off --its industry standard like many small companies but companies have been moving away. Probably should look into it

Keep up the good work

Challenging, exciting, and impactful.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be given a lot of responsibility/ownership of projects. It's a smaller company so you have more visibility in the company. There are also fun activities for employees throughout the year like wine tasting and an international festival.

Cons

Work life balance can be tough because the company is run lean. You have to have a certain kind of mindset to succeed here. Also- it's hard to move up the ladder. I feel like I will have to leave to get better pay, which is unfortunate. I do a lot in my role but don't always feel it is valued by my direct management.

Company with a future

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global company with good management of future business opportunities. Solid control of the supply chain with vertically integrated with volume manufacturing of leading-edge development of products ranging from SSD server racks to NAND memory manufacturing. Requires cooperation of a diverse set of technical expertise and job functions.
    Strong management of company financials. Careful with expenditures, manufacturing efficiency, and product margins.
    Culture & benefits typical of tech companies. Constantly challenged by impossible design targets and schedules. Company pushes people to work hard. Engineering teams are goal focused with a shared sense of responsibility to deliver results.
    Company introduced health & wellness programs. Encourages contributions back to the community.

Cons

Expectations for results are high. If you're looking for quiet place to settle down, this is not for you.
    Constant reorganizations. Individuals may experience a lot of churn. If you're not politically astute, you'll be left behind.
    Work style expects people to toe the line and go along with management. Better to keep your head down and keep your opinions to yourself.
    Extremely stingy when it comes to reviews and promotions.

Great place to work! I've been at SanDisk for over six years and the company just keeps getting better and better.

Current Employee - Director, Legal in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director, Legal in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance; great people; very diverse environment; strong company values that are genuine, not corporate mumbo jumbo; very ethical company; high confidence in executive staff; the bonus program is excellent (in some years I've gotten as much as 170% of my target bonus)

Cons

Some dysfunction is inevitable in any company, as are politics, but I don't think SanDisk has more than its share of either; benefits are OK - the basics - but unimaginative; equity compensation has gotten a lot leaner

Better succession planning and developing people (especially women) from within.

Good job, boring product

Former Employee - Field Marketing Intern in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Intern in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at SanDisk as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The experience was worth it and it really taught me a lot. The pay was great too.

Cons

The job was really boring and required constant driving around from store to store. It was hard to get excited about the product.

10 + years of ups and downs

Current Employee - Senior Staff Firmware Engineer in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Firmware Engineer in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SanDisk knows how to make Flash memory, and that seems to override any other issues they have as a company

Cons

Mergers and Acquisitions are a frequent source of turmoil. Multiple sites which don't always communicate well and work at cross purposes.

Have more faith in in-house solutions

Passionate Employees, Engaging Work, and solid management team

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management truly cares about the work being done, they challenge you to step your game up everyday! The people at SanDisk are wonderful, and help you get things done. We have a employee activities committee, and a strong volunteer program! It's nice to work for a company that pushes you to do meaningful work, and also cares about giving back...

Cons

We need better coffee at the coffee bar.
    Commute.

More Training & Development Opportunities

Going places

Current Employee - Quality in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SanDisk has changed / grown a lot in the 16 months I've been here. It's a good feeling to work for a company with a focused vision for its future.

Cons

Every decision is influenced by many many others. Some with no knowledge but equipped with an opinion.

Consider knowledge, responsibility and authority. Those with these assets will get the job done, using the proper resources.

Engineering leader.

I have been working at SanDisk

Pros

Compensation is generally good, large bonus and equity. Working on leading edge storage technology. Nice campus with good facilities like cafeteria, gym, soccer, basketball, volleyball.

Cons

Extremely political work environment. Constant layoffs. If a project you are working on gets cancelled probably the whole team gets let go. Layoffs happen due to no clear direction from management. Decisions are made without all the data by upper management. This has happened numerous times in the past 3 years. General opinion is company is trying to move jobs to low cost countries. Trying to grow by acquiring, however previous acquired companies have not worked out. No work life balance due to unreal deadline, the unreal deadlines are because their roadmaps and decisions on products keep changing.

Fix the politics. Improve execution of projects. Fix decision making process. Give employees confidence that their jobs are not moving to some low cost country.