Schlumberger

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.6 1,365 reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard

Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up(in 30 reviews)

• Work environment Good also with fun and rewarding(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance tends to be dismal if you're too extroverted or have a nuclear family(in 193 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics(in 45 reviews)

1,365 Employee Reviews

Seismic Acquisitions Engineer

Seismic Engineer (Former Employee) Gatwick, England

ProsGood salary, good benefit including health plan, the career path is well defined, traveling around the globe and the training is simply awesome.It's a good company to start a career fresh from school especially if you are not married and don't have family.

ConsSome mentors are not willing to give it all to the trainees especially if you are an Engineer trainee and the mentor is a Specialist .Paper work in some segments like Westerngeco is just too much of work (some of them are just outdated) and worst case is the way people are getting laid off, it's so annoying. Get ready for a disgraceful layoff using a phone call while you are spending your time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees, consider their opinions regarding training and career progress .

Reasonable Company

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Stonehouse, England

ProsCompetitive salary and bonus scheme, and they go out of their way to look after employees, if they like you. Not much dead wood.

ConsJob can be very monotonous, and very desk-bound.Very much geared toward young graduates, mid careers can find it difficult to adjust. Previous experience is pretty much ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to balance the balance the young graduate engineers with more people with "real world" manufacturing experince.

very good

Support Engineer (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

Prosgood salary, excellent benefits & some great people, good advancement opportunities, you get job satisfaction with this employer

Conslike all companies they have some very poor higher management, but they are apparently Teflon coated, unsure why as they cost the company a lot of money

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to & act on staff feedback , do not bury your head in the sand

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They OWN you, you work for your Life! You're just an asset; not human!

General Field Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

Pros- Work experience (Only on your specialized segment, not others); SLB is good in what they do (in some segments)
    - Possibilities to travel to oilfield places (mainly remote)
    - Fair training courses for your special task you do
    - Salary is just average; Don't expect it to be above average
    - Good company for fresh graduate who're willing to find a job and with no dependent family

Cons- Your personal life is gone, no family, no friend, no girl/boy friend; forget it
    - Salary they pay, doesn't correlate what they ask you to do; You also end up staying longer in your work base every day just to finish your assigned tasks
    - Whatever happens (failure, malfunction,...) is your FAULT! either you didn't check it or you didn't manage your time to get enough rest to resolve your problem! Blame culture is ridiculous!
    - Be aware: whatever you demand, they offer you extremely opposite! so always ask for something you don't want to get what you want!
    - They don't train you in a wide range of business, so you always depend on them; You only will be trained for the tasks you need to do in your own segment, you never get a chance to be trained in other segments so you will be always depending on them and can NOT find a wider range of the jobs after quitting
    - The attitude and behavior of your managers is absolutely not-acceptable. they don't see you as a human, they see you are an asset which have to make money and otherwise is out! not that the managers are naturally like this, but the SYSTEM demands from them to act this way, even if they don't want to, they become like that. They mainly under pressure and become aggressive most of the times, specially with juniors it's even worse

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers dont have power and cant do anything; it's built-in Schlumberger culture which will never improve, it's just against humanity
    No matter how much money you make for the company, still you're an asset; if you cant make money, you're straight out; Badly!
    Manager's are always busy; this is bad; no wonder most of them are either single or have many personal issues or divorced already!

Grade policy sucks

ProsInternationally recognised oil services company. Industry leader in many technologies. Excellent training structure.

ConsThe strict pay grade structure is limiting and I would hazard a guess that it is one of the main reasons for the high attrition rate. If you are not internationally mobile for SLB then your chances of progressing are limited. It appears you have to be willing to up sticks every 3 years to get anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough profit is obviousy the name if the game, listening to your employees may go a long way to improving your reputation in the field. I have lost count of the times I have heard people in the oil services industry say 'I would never work for SLB'.

A good way to start a career BUT They own you! Prepare to leave after a few years

Positioning Seismic Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat trainings, very professional, organised, takes HSE seriously, they ensure that you know everything about your job to the running principles and physics fundamentals.

ConsThey own you. Ridiculous learning modules that takes up your time during off shift, makes you go through stupid G11 control programme along with a one year project that must benefit the company. Better off doing a 1 year Masters programme for yourself! Not compassionate, too appraisal driven, harassment policy is a joke, if you report they turn it around and blame you for it! The worst salary in the industry of seismic. Fast track seismic engineer programme is a real joke, trying to make managers in 3 years and make you work a like a dog. 5 weeks on board, 3 weeks office time and less than 2 weeks off ?! Work 8 weeks and MAYBE 2 weeks off.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour SE programme is a disaster. It is obviously not working. SE turnover rate is really high. Analyse the numbers and stop being in denial. Learning modules shouldn't be given so much focus.

Wireline General Field Engineer

Wireline Field Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

ProsFresh graduates get a very good experience to start

ConsYou will travel almost every 3 years to a different countries, make sure you dont depend on your family or wife or girl friend because soon you'll forget them and your life turns to hell if you depend of your personal life.
    It's a good company to start but not a good one to plan long term, NO personal life. I'm an example, trust me. I've seen enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are your assets which are taken care of the least.
    You all think of how to make money by any means of using your people and you dont take any care or responsibility of your personnel personal life.
    Lifestyle is negatively challenging.
    I've lost my dual carrier girl friend due to this, I'm just an example, Im not the only one.
    We dont have personal life, it's all surrounded by SLB.
    How many assets have to quit so you could realize the importance of them? how are you gonna reduce NPT by 25% by 2020?

Keep those who stand for the company for years, specially your dual carriers which they bring love to industry.

Outstanding company!

Human Resources Transactions (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

ProsIf you are looking to know the world, have a very good career opportunities and like to work hard, this is the company you want to be.

ConsYou could be some days struggling with your work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the international opportunities open to everyone, is one of the best unique things this company has.

rewards effort

Prosopertunities, progression, international asignments, benifits

Conswork life balance, politics, work life balance

The Perfect Starting Opportunity

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Abingdon, England

ProsStaff are welcoming and friendly. The work is interesting and challenging and provides the opportunity to work with a mix of existing and new technology. Salaries are reasonably high for the industry. Plenty of vacation and time to partake in activities with other staff members.

ConsLeadership can be mixed as management is a mixture of cultures and values and switching between departments seemed reasonably commonplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow interns a selection of experiences so they can gauge whether a future with the company is something they would enjoy.

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!