Schlumberger Reviews

3.6
1,461 Reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 32 reviews)

• This company has a best Training program for its employees, Good HSE program and other Benefits (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Obvious work life balance though they do work with you on that when you need it (in 207 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Seismic Acquisitions Engineer

Former Employee - Seismic Engineer in Gatwick, England
    Former Employee - Seismic Engineer in Gatwick, England

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary, good benefit including health plan, the career path is well defined, traveling around the globe and the training is simply awesome.It's a good company to start a career fresh from school especially if you are not married and don't have family.

Cons

Some mentors are not willing to give it all to the trainees especially if you are an Engineer trainee and the mentor is a Specialist .Paper work in some segments like Westerngeco is just too much of work (some of them are just outdated) and worst case is the way people are getting laid off, it's so annoying. Get ready for a disgraceful layoff using a phone call while you are spending your time off.

Respect your employees, consider their opinions regarding training and career progress .

Great package, poor communication and little regular time off. Good for the very ambitious, career focused person!

Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the north sea sector for 18 months as an MWD engineer.
    SLB is pretty meritocratic, so if you want to do well, you can.
    Payment is pretty good - at the time I left, the package was worth between 65-75k a year after only 18 months.
    Huge opportunities to travel, loads of genuine early responsibility and client interaction.
    Even if you don't stay long, it'll stand you in good stead for the rest of your career.

Cons

Limited and unpredictable time off - this is why I left in the end, as sustaining a relationship on the continent became quite difficult without knowing when I would next have time off.
    A lot depends on your line manager (Field Service Manager), as they mostly assign you jobs and are responsible for overseeing your career progression.
    The logistics are by the nature of the work, unpredictable and you're being payed a premium to be on call and available... Therefore it often feels like you're being taken advantage of and working every hour,- but that's what you're being paid for... I found it OK for a while, but didn't want to sacrifice my life for the corporation, so left.
    I always maintained great working relationships with my clients, who were always 100% satisfied with my work. Unfortunately this didn't get back to my FSM, so his impression of me was far less good. In retrospect, I should have spoken to him more and explained what I had been doing.
    When starting, I was given less than 48 hours notice that my start date had been delayed by a month.

Engineers are great at operating tools, but less good at operating people... My FSM had limited time to guide me, which I found frustrating.
    Predictable time off was an issue for me, along with the inability of the company to be a bit more flexible, when I suggested going part time.

Reasonable Company

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Stonehouse, England
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Stonehouse, England

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and bonus scheme, and they go out of their way to look after employees, if they like you. Not much dead wood.

Cons

Job can be very monotonous, and very desk-bound.Very much geared toward young graduates, mid careers can find it difficult to adjust. Previous experience is pretty much ignored.

Need to balance the balance the young graduate engineers with more people with "real world" manufacturing experince.

very good

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good salary, excellent benefits & some great people, good advancement opportunities, you get job satisfaction with this employer

Cons

like all companies they have some very poor higher management, but they are apparently Teflon coated, unsure why as they cost the company a lot of money

listen to & act on staff feedback , do not bury your head in the sand

Good experience, and a chance to travel around the world and expose to the training courses.

Current Employee - Geology in London, England
    Current Employee - Geology in London, England

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity, Professional people. Training courses and tutorial documents. Less discrimination. Fair work-life balance.

Cons

Low Salary, sometimes handwork without any bonus. Dealing with Sarcastic, short tempered Clients. Not easy to get a transfer package. Difficult to re-locate from one to another sections. No benefit package for home employee staff.

Increase the Salary, help the staff to promote to the higher grades. Facilitate the training courses.

Grade policy sucks

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time

Pros

Internationally recognised oil services company. Industry leader in many technologies. Excellent training structure.

Cons

The strict pay grade structure is limiting and I would hazard a guess that it is one of the main reasons for the high attrition rate. If you are not internationally mobile for SLB then your chances of progressing are limited. It appears you have to be willing to up sticks every 3 years to get anywhere.

Although profit is obviousy the name if the game, listening to your employees may go a long way to improving your reputation in the field. I have lost count of the times I have heard people in the oil services industry say 'I would never work for SLB'.

Outstanding company!

Current Employee - Human Resources Transactions in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking to know the world, have a very good career opportunities and like to work hard, this is the company you want to be.

Cons

You could be some days struggling with your work/life balance.

Keep the international opportunities open to everyone, is one of the best unique things this company has.

rewards effort

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

opertunities, progression, international asignments, benifits

Cons

work life balance, politics, work life balance

The Perfect Starting Opportunity

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Abingdon, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Abingdon, England

I worked at Schlumberger as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Staff are welcoming and friendly. The work is interesting and challenging and provides the opportunity to work with a mix of existing and new technology. Salaries are reasonably high for the industry. Plenty of vacation and time to partake in activities with other staff members.

Cons

Leadership can be mixed as management is a mixture of cultures and values and switching between departments seemed reasonably commonplace.

Allow interns a selection of experiences so they can gauge whether a future with the company is something they would enjoy.

Intern in SIS, I had a very positive experience.

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Very professional team
    Help and support provided
    Challenging and interesting work
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cons

Sometimes felt a bit "outside the team"
    Getting used to the software took most part of the internship
    . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . . . .