Schlumberger

3.7
1,480 Reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 32 reviews)

• This company has a best Training program for its employees, Good HSE program and other Benefits (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Obvious work life balance though they do work with you on that when you need it (in 207 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Seismic Acquisitions Engineer

Former Employee - Seismic Engineer in Gatwick, England
    Former Employee - Seismic Engineer in Gatwick, England

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary, good benefit including health plan, the career path is well defined, traveling around the globe and the training is simply awesome.It's a good company to start a career fresh from school especially if you are not married and don't have family.

Cons

Some mentors are not willing to give it all to the trainees especially if you are an Engineer trainee and the mentor is a Specialist .Paper work in some segments like Westerngeco is just too much of work (some of them are just outdated) and worst case is the way people are getting laid off, it's so annoying. Get ready for a disgraceful layoff using a phone call while you are spending your time off.

Respect your employees, consider their opinions regarding training and career progress .

Great package, poor communication and little regular time off. Good for the very ambitious, career focused person!

Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the north sea sector for 18 months as an MWD engineer.
    SLB is pretty meritocratic, so if you want to do well, you can.
    Payment is pretty good - at the time I left, the package was worth between 65-75k a year after only 18 months.
    Huge opportunities to travel, loads of genuine early responsibility and client interaction.
    Even if you don't stay long, it'll stand you in good stead for the rest of your career.

Cons

Limited and unpredictable time off - this is why I left in the end, as sustaining a relationship on the continent became quite difficult without knowing when I would next have time off.
    A lot depends on your line manager (Field Service Manager), as they mostly assign you jobs and are responsible for overseeing your career progression.
    The logistics are by the nature of the work, unpredictable and you're being payed a premium to be on call and available... Therefore it often feels like you're being taken advantage of and working every hour,- but that's what you're being paid for... I found it OK for a while, but didn't want to sacrifice my life for the corporation, so left.
    I always maintained great working relationships with my clients, who were always 100% satisfied with my work. Unfortunately this didn't get back to my FSM, so his impression of me was far less good. In retrospect, I should have spoken to him more and explained what I had been doing.
    When starting, I was given less than 48 hours notice that my start date had been delayed by a month.

Engineers are great at operating tools, but less good at operating people... My FSM had limited time to guide me, which I found frustrating.
    Predictable time off was an issue for me, along with the inability of the company to be a bit more flexible, when I suggested going part time.

very good

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good salary, excellent benefits & some great people, good advancement opportunities, you get job satisfaction with this employer

Cons

like all companies they have some very poor higher management, but they are apparently Teflon coated, unsure why as they cost the company a lot of money

listen to & act on staff feedback , do not bury your head in the sand

Reasonable Company

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Stonehouse, England
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Stonehouse, England

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and bonus scheme, and they go out of their way to look after employees, if they like you. Not much dead wood.

Cons

Job can be very monotonous, and very desk-bound.Very much geared toward young graduates, mid careers can find it difficult to adjust. Previous experience is pretty much ignored.

Need to balance the balance the young graduate engineers with more people with "real world" manufacturing experince.

rewards effort

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

opertunities, progression, international asignments, benifits

Cons

work life balance, politics, work life balance

They OWN you, you work for your Life! You're just an asset; not human!

Current Employee - General Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Current Employee - General Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Work experience (Only on your specialized segment, not others); SLB is good in what they do (in some segments)
    - Possibilities to travel to oilfield places (mainly remote)
    - Fair training courses for your special task you do
    - Salary is just average; Don't expect it to be above average
    - Good company for fresh graduate who're willing to find a job and with no dependent family

Cons

- Your personal life is gone, no family, no friend, no girl/boy friend; forget it
    - Salary they pay, doesn't correlate what they ask you to do; You also end up staying longer in your work base every day just to finish your assigned tasks
    - Whatever happens (failure, malfunction,...) is your FAULT! either you didn't check it or you didn't manage your time to get enough rest to resolve your problem! Blame culture is ridiculous!
    - Be aware: whatever you demand, they offer you extremely opposite! so always ask for something you don't want to get what you want!
    - They don't train you in a wide range of business, so you always depend on them; You only will be trained for the tasks you need to do in your own segment, you never get a chance to be trained in other segments so you will be always depending on them and can NOT find a wider range of the jobs after quitting
    - The attitude and behavior of your managers is absolutely not-acceptable. they don't see you as a human, they see you are an asset which have to make money and otherwise is out! not that the managers are naturally like this, but the SYSTEM demands from them to act this way, even if they don't want to, they become like that. They mainly under pressure and become aggressive most of the times, specially with juniors it's even worse

Managers dont have power and cant do anything; it's built-in Schlumberger culture which will never improve, it's just against humanity
    No matter how much money you make for the company, still you're an asset; if you cant make money, you're straight out; Badly!
    Manager's are always busy; this is bad; no wonder most of them are either single or have many personal issues or divorced already!

Good experience, and a chance to travel around the world and expose to the training courses.

Current Employee - Geology in London, England
    Current Employee - Geology in London, England

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity, Professional people. Training courses and tutorial documents. Less discrimination. Fair work-life balance.

Cons

Low Salary, sometimes handwork without any bonus. Dealing with Sarcastic, short tempered Clients. Not easy to get a transfer package. Difficult to re-locate from one to another sections. No benefit package for home employee staff.

Increase the Salary, help the staff to promote to the higher grades. Facilitate the training courses.

Grade policy sucks

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time

Pros

Internationally recognised oil services company. Industry leader in many technologies. Excellent training structure.

Cons

The strict pay grade structure is limiting and I would hazard a guess that it is one of the main reasons for the high attrition rate. If you are not internationally mobile for SLB then your chances of progressing are limited. It appears you have to be willing to up sticks every 3 years to get anywhere.

Although profit is obviousy the name if the game, listening to your employees may go a long way to improving your reputation in the field. I have lost count of the times I have heard people in the oil services industry say 'I would never work for SLB'.

A good way to start a career BUT They own you! Prepare to leave after a few years

Former Employee - Positioning Seismic Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Positioning Seismic Engineer in London, England

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great trainings, very professional, organised, takes HSE seriously, they ensure that you know everything about your job to the running principles and physics fundamentals.

Cons

They own you. Ridiculous learning modules that takes up your time during off shift, makes you go through stupid G11 control programme along with a one year project that must benefit the company. Better off doing a 1 year Masters programme for yourself! Not compassionate, too appraisal driven, harassment policy is a joke, if you report they turn it around and blame you for it! The worst salary in the industry of seismic. Fast track seismic engineer programme is a real joke, trying to make managers in 3 years and make you work a like a dog. 5 weeks on board, 3 weeks office time and less than 2 weeks off ?! Work 8 weeks and MAYBE 2 weeks off.

Your SE programme is a disaster. It is obviously not working. SE turnover rate is really high. Analyse the numbers and stop being in denial. Learning modules shouldn't be given so much focus.

Wireline General Field Engineer

Current Employee - Wireline Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Current Employee - Wireline Field Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fresh graduates get a very good experience to start

Cons

You will travel almost every 3 years to a different countries, make sure you dont depend on your family or wife or girl friend because soon you'll forget them and your life turns to hell if you depend of your personal life.
    It's a good company to start but not a good one to plan long term, NO personal life. I'm an example, trust me. I've seen enough.

Employees are your assets which are taken care of the least.
    You all think of how to make money by any means of using your people and you dont take any care or responsibility of your personnel personal life.
    Lifestyle is negatively challenging.
    I've lost my dual carrier girl friend due to this, I'm just an example, Im not the only one.
    We dont have personal life, it's all surrounded by SLB.
    How many assets have to quit so you could realize the importance of them? how are you gonna reduce NPT by 25% by 2020?

Keep those who stand for the company for years, specially your dual carriers which they bring love to industry.