Scotiabank

Scotiabank Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter

Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks(in 66 reviews)

• Relax work environment, great people and a stable company(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not competitive and there aren't full time positions on the teller line, even few part time(in 8 reviews)

• Low salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys(in 8 reviews)

Customer Service

Customer Service Officer (Former Employee)

ProsGood training, both on the job and off the job.
    Decent benefits, including medical and vacation benefits.
    Flexible work arrangement which helps employees cope-up special circumstances at the family front, including child care etc.
    Recognition for merit and good chances for career progression.

ConsSomewhat outdated information systems, although it is not a big deal.
    Average salary structure compared to other employers both in the banking and non-banking world.

Great opportunity for customer service experience.

Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) Saint Marys, ON (Canada)

ProsThere seems to be a lot of room for professional growth.

Consthe incentives to sell products was not enough to inspire sales.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter incentives, rewards could be more straight forward to get better sales per employee.

Great Place to work ... if you find the right manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros+ Great work life balance
    + Friendly, helpful colleagues
    + Appreciated for your work and input

Cons- Low compensation (low base, bonus, benefits) and low compensation increase
    - Little opportunity for advancement
    - Even if you obtain more certifications or education, it doesn't move you up

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on compensation packages to retain top talent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good training program

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsStarted at bank earlier this year and have found the training staff and in branch coaches to be greatly supportive and helpful. Good corporate culture from what I understand, and very likely to promote from within

ConsTheir central operating system could stand to be updated. There are some process that take a lot longer than they need to. Some office politics but nothing unlike other work places

Nice for new commers

ProsNice opportunities for new commers with Financial experience en Latin America

ConsJust starting a new challenge!

Overall Satisfying

Project Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDepending on your manager, there are opportunities for development of skills, obtaining certifications, mentoring etc. Many of the departments had really great people that you could work with. Like any organization, there will always be slackers who can be counter productive, but in this organisation they can be managed.

ConsDepending on the manager, there may be issues with work-life balance; (At times I worked over 80 hrs a week for months; definitely burnt out.) But then the same manager spent the next years trying to make work comfortable and gave me a lot of slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better understanding of what is happening on the front lines. More fireside chats would help, and ensure they are mandatory and confidential.

Overall a good experience

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsManagers who do take an interest in your development, including getting feedback and skills development.

ConsTurnover and politics, people more interested in doing nothing rather than their jobs.

Excellent place to work

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsEntrepreneurial culture, great training program, fantastic advancement opportunity.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of.

Amazing Company to work for!

ProsThe collaborative relationships; the community involvement; the commitment to employee growth.

Consnone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to nurture the talent within Scotiabank.

Decent Employer

ProsDepending on the branch and management, could be a great experience with a lot of opportunities for career development.

ConsCompensation and benefits packages could be more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on improving overall benefits packages.

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!