Seagate Technology

Seagate Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo

Steve Luczo

Pros
  • work life balance-- 9 to 5, cant believe those companies still exist :)(in 36 reviews)

• Great People, Good work environment(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • There is more upper management than many of the competitor organizations(in 9 reviews)

• Little opportunity for career advancement(in 8 reviews)

Seagate is a good Company to work for.

CTS (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat for Leadership principals, treat customers and staff fairly and openly. Talented and committed workforce.

ConsEnsure your package is good on day 1, it will not be likely to change much over the years. Raises can be minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore 360 degree reviews for management- leadership style can tend towards autocratic.

Big Company But Always Playing Catchup

Production Operator (Current Employee) Derry, Northern Ireland

ProsThe shift pattern is probably the best positive side to working as a Production Operator. 4 x 12 hour Shifts and then 4 days off. The health care plan is good but increasing excess charges are eroding it's popularity.

ConsNever have i ever worked in a company where there are so many managers. we have managers with nobody to manage. 35% Shift Workers to 65% day staff. WD produce as many and varied drives as we do with far less staff thus increasing their profit margin on each one sold. Dissemination of information from the top to the production floor leaves a lot to be desired.
    Tools left idle due to the lack of spare parts. Ageing tools that are hard to source spare parts for. For this production facility to move into the next generation of media storage requires a very large investment in up to date tools and a serious overhaul in how the facility is managed and run.
    Finally for a world leader why are we always playing catchup with new markets and technology. We have missed the boat more times than a drunken sailor on shore leave...
    Nice to see that you are finally taking SSD seriously with your recent acquisitions...

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline management...Overhaul the appraisal system..IT IS NOT WORKING ..

poor treatment of operators.

Operator (Current Employee) Derry, Northern Ireland

ProsOnly two pros that I can think of in working for Seagate in Derry,and they are the four days off and health insurance.

ConsWhere do I start.. poor pay structure,some employees are earning just above minimum wage.Store shelf stackers earn more an hour than the average operator.Bullying is rife from some of the managers.Treatment of operators is horrendous.Seen as third class citizens.promotions within company now are virtually impossible to get.The appraisal system does not work.You could do ten times the work of a guy beside you but he will get a higher appraisal because he kisses a lot of ass.Morale between the operators is the lowest ive seen it at and im with the company ten years.A lot of people in "management" do very little for the pay that they are on.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many in management and days staff and not enough operators.overhaul the appraisal system.equal pay for all operators ,send managers on a course on how to talk and deal with people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seagate we turn on Ideas?

Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Limavady, Northern Ireland

ProsGreat working conditions personal health care, good salary, lots of bonus and incentive schemes, profit share, stock purchase plans rewards and recognitions etc

Consmanagement were very weak and in some cases completely incompetent and frankly the fact that some of them managed to get promoted in the posotions they were in was amazing. Too many meetings and it was also hard to dismiss poorly performing employees.

Advice to Senior Managementrelatively poor

Command center operator

Prosgood company if you are willing to take the risk of not being able to make this a career

ConsHurting on cash flow. Downsizing done every 6 months to a year.

Advice to Senior Managementto much downsizing

Awesome

Tech Support Agent (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsFamily friendly company
    Encourage advancement
    Tuition reimbursement

ConsHealth breaks status
    Required to work the day after holiday even if it is your day off

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more

Interesting work, good colleagues, family friendly

ProsSkill development is encouraged. Pretty good mobility within the company if you want to try a new areas. Company is expanding beyond just hard drives. Flexible hours make it easy to accommodate family stuff. Wide range of work available. Some people like to be narrow specialist and others are broad generalists, both kinds of engineers are valued. Social culture, lots of leagues and civic opportunities. New exciting projects.

ConsTypical big company problems. Occasionally you run into someone who isn't getting the job done. Eventually it gets sorted out, but it can take a while for the hierarchy of management to zero in on the problem. New development is fun, but there is also a fair amount of legacy stuff that is expected to not be touched.

Awesome place to be

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsRelaxed environment , reasonable targets & friendly management

ConsPoor basic increment, varying overtime schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Enriching

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDrive to be the best

Constoo focused on silo metrics

Good opportunities, lots of travel, high paced environment.

Managing Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Shakopee, MN (US)

ProsGood pay, good challenges, very technical

Consslow moving, risk adverse, and technology usage is pretty behind the times

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance

Worked for Seagate Technology? Contribute to the Community!