Seagate Technology

Updated 21 October 2014
3.7

Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo
Steve Luczo

Pros
  • Great work life balance at the moment, as management can not decide on projects to work on (in 47 reviews)

• Good work environment, people and far sighted strategy (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Your career growth can stagnate after few years (in 10 reviews)

• Need to provide more opportunities for career advancement (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Seagate is a good Company to work for.

Former Employee - CTS in London, England
    Former Employee - CTS in London, England

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great for Leadership principals, treat customers and staff fairly and openly. Talented and committed workforce.

Cons

Ensure your package is good on day 1, it will not be likely to change much over the years. Raises can be minimal.

More 360 degree reviews for management- leadership style can tend towards autocratic.

Senior Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Derry, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Derry, Northern Ireland

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

company offers healthy working environment

Cons

Annual salary is quite low

Big Company But Always Playing Catchup

Current Employee - Production Operator in Derry, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Derry, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The shift pattern is probably the best positive side to working as a Production Operator. 4 x 12 hour Shifts and then 4 days off. The health care plan is good but increasing excess charges are eroding it's popularity.

Cons

Never have i ever worked in a company where there are so many managers. we have managers with nobody to manage. 35% Shift Workers to 65% day staff. WD produce as many and varied drives as we do with far less staff thus increasing their profit margin on each one sold. Dissemination of information from the top to the production floor leaves a lot to be desired.
    Tools left idle due to the lack of spare parts. Ageing tools that are hard to source spare parts for. For this production facility to move into the next generation of media storage requires a very large investment in up to date tools and a serious overhaul in how the facility is managed and run.
    Finally for a world leader why are we always playing catchup with new markets and technology. We have missed the boat more times than a drunken sailor on shore leave...
    Nice to see that you are finally taking SSD seriously with your recent acquisitions...

Streamline management...Overhaul the appraisal system..IT IS NOT WORKING ..

poor treatment of operators.

Current Employee - Operator in Derry, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Operator in Derry, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only two pros that I can think of in working for Seagate in Derry,and they are the four days off and health insurance.

Cons

Where do I start.. poor pay structure,some employees are earning just above minimum wage.Store shelf stackers earn more an hour than the average operator.Bullying is rife from some of the managers.Treatment of operators is horrendous.Seen as third class citizens.promotions within company now are virtually impossible to get.The appraisal system does not work.You could do ten times the work of a guy beside you but he will get a higher appraisal because he kisses a lot of ass.Morale between the operators is the lowest ive seen it at and im with the company ten years.A lot of people in "management" do very little for the pay that they are on.

too many in management and days staff and not enough operators.overhaul the appraisal system.equal pay for all operators ,send managers on a course on how to talk and deal with people.

Seagate we turn on Ideas?

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Limavady, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Limavady, Northern Ireland

I worked at Seagate Technology

Pros

Great working conditions personal health care, good salary, lots of bonus and incentive schemes, profit share, stock purchase plans rewards and recognitions etc

Cons

management were very weak and in some cases completely incompetent and frankly the fact that some of them managed to get promoted in the posotions they were in was amazing. Too many meetings and it was also hard to dismiss poorly performing employees.

relatively poor

Seagate is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Shakopee, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Shakopee, MN (US)

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Seagate is very flexible with work life balance. Everyone works hard to get products released and keep customers happy.

Cons

Work is always intense with long hours. Nothing great ever comes from easy work.

Always say thank you to employees for great work. Bonuses are always a great way to show appreciation, but at least saying thank means a lot.

Enjoying it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seagate employees! Most people seem pretty happy and are very helpful to new employees. I felt very welcomed into the team. Salary and benefit package seem competitive. Company is currently going through a transformation and jumping into new and exciting future.

Cons

Process oriented company...way too much process sometimes. We should be open more open to change.

Awesome Seagate

Former Employee - Senior QA in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Senior QA in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managements are very approachable. Company invests heavily on its people and new tools.

Cons

Many redundant positions with overlapping functions tends to delay decision making process.

Great Company

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people there are very nice and very helpful. They have lots of activities prepared, the working hour is flexible.

Cons

Some problems are very difficult to solve. Lots of Challenge jobs.

My experience was rewarding, pleasant, and very engaging.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Seagate Technology as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best things about working here are the co-workers. People I've come into contact with have been down to earth, easy to get a long with and very approachable. You will work hard, but you'll like the team that you're working with and that will make the work enjoyable and rewarding. Each team, depending on the department you're working in will be a different experience. Depending on the team you're in you might have to work some extra hours but the work-life balance is definitely manageable and you'll be able to keep a healthy balance.

Cons

I do not have any cons at the moment as I am still going through the training and job interview process. I will update in the future if I have any cons or issues.

Seagate Technology Photos