Sephora Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014
Updated 29 August 2014

3.5

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Free products, exceptional education and investment the company makes with each individual (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 35 reviews)

• No work/life balance, always on your feet, catty coworkers who like to gossip (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn, close-knit family environment, if somewhat disorganized

Current Employee - Color Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the greatest things about Sephora is the environment. Cast members are incredibly friendly and everyone genuinely cares about one another, which is a stark contrast when looking at some other employers. There are an abundance of perks, from free products, to lessons, and very occasionally jet-setting to unique locations (company paid). If you want to know more about the craft, this is definitely the place to start. From brand trainings to educational videos and on-stage training with cast, there are an abundance of ways to learn and you will learn something new everyday, if not many things.

Cons

While you learn a lot working here, it's not always from Sephora but often time from one of the many talented cast members or from brands. In fact, the company will often put off your trainings until well after you don't need them anymore. Sephora talks a lot about their values but leadership often don't adjust their behavior to coincide with them. In point of fact, values are often used as a way to attack your work then as a defense for all. Also, while your job description may only entail one thing, you'll probably find yourself doing several other things that fall into someone else's responsibility. Also, be sure to factor time off your breaks, lunches, and ends of your shifts as clients and security checks can waste several minutes, if not more(especially towards the end of the night). If you're trying to move up in the company it is definitely a game of politics, and being the best at your job doesn't really hold as much weight as being best buddies with the right people. And if you're trying to be promoted within your own store then light a prayer candle.

Promote from within!!! I've seen dozens of talented people leave and be replaced by people less qualified. It takes less work to teach someone management tips then to teach someone how your company works. Work smarter, not harder.
    Also, please try to stay organized and have a cohesive plan across all leads. Talking to two different managers shouldn't feel like playing house with divorced parents.

Positive, uplifting

Former Employee - Operations Consultant
    Former Employee - Operations Consultant

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, benefits, bonuses, products, fun

Cons

Work life balance, hours, promotion, training

Best job that I miss and love

Former Employee - Senior Product Consultant  in  Honolulu, HI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Honolulu, HI (US)

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome team, great company, bonus, incentives, gratis, travel, education, training, advancement, promotion! This is where its at!

Cons

Uniform. Pay varies, its average. Could be better. I really don't have much con's. This place has never left my heart.

I just love and miss my store 100

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best jobs I ever had!

Former Employee - Senior Product Consultant  in  Woodbridge, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Woodbridge, NJ (US)

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, free gratis basically thrown at you, lots of training and education, room for advancement and growth, zero micro-managing.

Cons

As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job. The benefits weren't exactly amazing and the part-timers that we hired were always blissfully unaware of how to do their job.

Excellent retail experience

Current Employee - Operations Lead  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is grounded on 7 values and they are celebrated each day. Cast members feel valued and are set up for success for growth within the company. They are trained to eventually achieve what they aim to be in the future. Lots of training and education, and bonuses are based on store sales and not on individual commission so there's teamwork.

Cons

Pay is average, i expected it to be a bit higher since the company is under the Louis Vuitton umbrella.

Hiring the right people for the job. Lots of cast members are only there for a few months and are not worth the investment for training.

Great customer service experience

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Learn really great customer service and get to be around makeup all day

Cons

Some managers are hard to work with

Be more sympathetic with employees

Fun environment with fun people

Current Employee - Education Lead  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Education Lead in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Gratis is always a plus...upbeat environment. I enjoy working with vendors and learning different things from them. I love the values of Sephora and how seriously the company takes it

Cons

Depending on the volume of your store you may not get much work life balance. A lot of politics, seems like you move quicker based on who you know

Fun, but frustrating.

Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant

I have been working at Sephora full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working with clients; helping them to find exactly what they're looking for and maybe even teaching them how to use their new products. The brand events are great too. We teach, take pictures, have fun, end up a little silly, but overall create a lasting impression. Gratis is always nice, as well as learning new tidbits and stories about each brand, product and founders/creators. Knowledge is in abundance with Sephora, which is detrimental to the job.

Cons

Less than qualified persons hold positions in this company which causes much unneeded stress to Product Consultants, Operations and Education alike. When Managers are not performing to the best of their abilities or not putting forth enough dedication to their position, the entire store fails. This is a very frustrating reality for some stores. Especially when higher ups do not take actions to rectify the issues at hand. Instead, it is treated as a "non-issue" and is left to work itself out. Its unfortunate, really. Also, the pre-set schedules are absolutely AWFUL.

Listen to your products consultants and team, they are the backbone of your sales and customer experience. Just because your are salaried, does NOT mean you complete your 40 hours and then you disappear.

Good place to work!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis, good pay, fun environment.

Cons

They don't like hiring students.

Give more flexible hours.

Love the Company Culture, it's still retail and the pay is disgusting

Current Employee - Color Consultant  in  Nanuet, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in Nanuet, NY (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

culture, values, training, gratis, education

Cons

scheduling, pay, retail is a black hole with no growth opportunities, costumes, discount

need better pay

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!