Sephora

Updated 15 December 2014
Updated 15 December 2014
3.7

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Management

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free product, work-life balance (as a manager? Amazing!) , RVPs that care about you, incredible and hip CEO, values based, client driven, and easy once you get the hang of it!
    Sephora is not for lazy people! Please re read that and re read it again! If you are a hard worker, and want to be the best... Then Sephora is the perfect place to work! If you want boring and don't want to be kept on your toes, go to GAP or Old Navy.
    I've been here for almost seven years and started of Part Time Fragrances and have moved my way up not because of favoritism and politics, but, because of hard work and really digging in on my opportunities and turning them into strengths. Sephora is going to push you everyday to be the best. It is not to be a micromanager, or to get you to quit, or just to make a bonus. Sephora is the great company it is because of the high standards in everything from Customer Service, to driving initiatives like technology, trends, and brands. So if your manager is seeing that your not talking Beauty Insider to all clients, it's not because they are "on you"... It's because they strive for all clients to be persuaded to join our club, get rewarded, and come back and stay loyal so that YOU can bonus more, so that YOU can push yourself to showcase your drive for results and get YOURSELF promoted. I've always seen that whatever the Company goes after, if you follow... You will win! In a sense, they set us up to bonus and keep the clients coming back... So thank you RVPs and Christie Jack and Calvin... IT REALLY DOES MAKE SENSE AND IS NOT HARD.
    Hours? There's tons of reviews that talk about hours getting cut... That's normal for retail.. But guess what? Let's tie it back to what I mentioned earlier.... If you're the laziest of the bunch, and if you aren't pursuing clients, you're the first cut! I was never cut as a cast member, and I never cut the employees who are on board with making the most out of each client and working hard!
    Work life balance is amazing as I mentioned earlier. As an exempt (salaried) employee, we don't work more than 40 hours a week.. And for retail, that is pretty unheard of! I feel blessed that I get to work my 40 hours and have time for my family and still have a life.
    Sephora is a place you can make a career, but you are in charge of it and you can't blame others for holding you back. It's doesn't feel like retail, and if you are really looking to be part of something greater than a paycheck, Sephora is perfect. Sephora is rewarding, emotionally invested, and ideal for people who love to be challenged and pushed beyond what they knew they were capable of.
    #WeAreSephora

MF

Cons

I do think the benefits were better before, but times have changed and we don't work for the govt!

Keep rocking it out!

Great place to work if you're scrappy and up for the challenge

Current Employee - FSC Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - FSC Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

#1 - People. I work at the HQ and I was worried coming from tech industry (no beauty experience) that this was going to be like Devil Wears Prada and everyone ate air sandwiches for lunch and wore the most expensive designer outfits imaginable. NOT the case. This company is filled with incredibly sharp, passionate, and "real" people. The pace is CRAZY here, but we're all in it together and there is a lot of (successful) cross functional partnership. It's a very collegiate, passionate culture.
    #2 - Career Opportunities. The company is growing so quickly, we're constantly creating new teams and taskforces. Sephora has a very lean organization for the size of the business it generates so you have the opportunity to wear many hats and try new things.
    #3 - Work Life Balance... tricky because this is so subjective and really depends on the department, but it's one of the company's values and most senior leaders are big proponents of maintaining a balance (and they lead by example)
    #4 - Bonus. The company has paid out ABOVE bonus target for the last several years. Not many companies can say that.
    #5 - Innovation. A lot of companies claim to be innovative but only few are. Sephora is truly innovative in its merchandising practices, technology, retail ops, and eCommerce/mobile functions. It's very cool to be a company that wins but never gets complacent.

Cons

#1 - Internal systems/processes (or lack thereof). It's shocking how old some of the processes and systems are here. It's on the senior leadership team's radar to update, but it can be incredibly frustrating, causing you to be less efficient than you'd like to be.
    #2 - Decisions are often made to start programs or initiatives without the proper planning, resources, or buy-in
    #3 - Ultimately, we report to LVMH and there can sometimes be a disconnect between San Francisco and Paris

-Really focus on building up the internal systems and processes so people can do their jobs more effectively.
    -Invest in training. The training and education for the field/stores is INCREDIBLE--truly some of the best in the business. But there is a woeful lack of relevant training opportunities at the corporate level.

Fun job!

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Gratis (free products), training by brands, move up quickly, fun atmosphere

Cons

Mostly female environment, so there's attitude and tension sometimes. Extended hours for the holidays, went through FOUR interviews, you have to do anything and everything to make clients happy; even if they're in the wrong and treat you poorly.

None.

Fantastic company to work for

Current Employee - Store Director
    Current Employee - Store Director

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Work life balance; free product; tons of bonus opportunity;people are truly invested in;

Cons

Not a lot of stores in the area so longer commute; caddy environment at times;

Expand more;

Good

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Free stuff free food great staff

Cons

Sucky pay ,costumes

To clicky

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Amazing company, high chances of moving up in the company

Cons

Not so great salary and hard work/life balance.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

The cast is amazing, depending on where you are, gratis, and of course having the employee discount! It's so easy to make someone's day, the clients are amazing! I love everything about Sephora.

Cons

Everyone is so friendly but being with all women, gossip can happen! Don't take part in it.

Seasonal

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

I love working at the cash rap. I love the return policy and that no one works off of commission. It's definitely a fun environment and the extra plus is that at my location even the seasonal workers get gratis!

Cons

Personally there are none for me. I took on the job as a seasonal with a FT job, I knew that working black Friday and during the weekends/holidays was going to be part of my position.

Love it

Current Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Manhattan Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Manhattan Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Greater challenges. Gratis. Passion work balance

Cons

Girl drama, ang ugly outfits

Employee focused

Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Gratis!! Work life balance, training, clothing provided, nice discount, room to advance, paid vacation, benefits.

Cons

Retail hours, blackout weeks during holiday. BLACK FRIDAY, selling, work on your feet, lower pay than competition.

Pay attention to turn over, there is a reason that some stores have a constant revolving door.