Sephora

Updated 26 November 2014
Updated 26 November 2014
3.6

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work if you're scrappy and up for the challenge

Current Employee - FSC Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - FSC Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

#1 - People. I work at the HQ and I was worried coming from tech industry (no beauty experience) that this was going to be like Devil Wears Prada and everyone ate air sandwiches for lunch and wore the most expensive designer outfits imaginable. NOT the case. This company is filled with incredibly sharp, passionate, and "real" people. The pace is CRAZY here, but we're all in it together and there is a lot of (successful) cross functional partnership. It's a very collegiate, passionate culture.
    #2 - Career Opportunities. The company is growing so quickly, we're constantly creating new teams and taskforces. Sephora has a very lean organization for the size of the business it generates so you have the opportunity to wear many hats and try new things.
    #3 - Work Life Balance... tricky because this is so subjective and really depends on the department, but it's one of the company's values and most senior leaders are big proponents of maintaining a balance (and they lead by example)
    #4 - Bonus. The company has paid out ABOVE bonus target for the last several years. Not many companies can say that.
    #5 - Innovation. A lot of companies claim to be innovative but only few are. Sephora is truly innovative in its merchandising practices, technology, retail ops, and eCommerce/mobile functions. It's very cool to be a company that wins but never gets complacent.

Cons

#1 - Internal systems/processes (or lack thereof). It's shocking how old some of the processes and systems are here. It's on the senior leadership team's radar to update, but it can be incredibly frustrating, causing you to be less efficient than you'd like to be.
    #2 - Decisions are often made to start programs or initiatives without the proper planning, resources, or buy-in
    #3 - Ultimately, we report to LVMH and there can sometimes be a disconnect between San Francisco and Paris

-Really focus on building up the internal systems and processes so people can do their jobs more effectively.
    -Invest in training. The training and education for the field/stores is INCREDIBLE--truly some of the best in the business. But there is a woeful lack of relevant training opportunities at the corporate level.

So much fun!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Montclair, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Montclair, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, fun fast-paced environment, great leadership, informative education everyday, and GRATIS!

Cons

Like anywhere, you come across difficult clients.

Keep it up!

Seasonal

Current Employee - Seasonal Cast in Appleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cast in Appleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Great pay and atmosphere! I love going to my job almost everyday.

Cons

It's retail at the end of the day.

Management

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free product, work-life balance (as a manager? Amazing!) , RVPs that care about you, incredible and hip CEO, values based, client driven, and easy once you get the hang of it!
    Sephora is not for lazy people! Please re read that and re read it again! If you are a hard worker, and want to be the best... Then Sephora is the perfect place to work! If you want boring and don't want to be kept on your toes, go to GAP or Old Navy.
    I've been here for almost seven years and started of Part Time Fragrances and have moved my way up not because of favoritism and politics, but, because of hard work and really digging in on my opportunities and turning them into strengths. Sephora is going to push you everyday to be the best. It is not to be a micromanager, or to get you to quit, or just to make a bonus. Sephora is the great company it is because of the high standards in everything from Customer Service, to driving initiatives like technology, trends, and brands. So if your manager is seeing that your not talking Beauty Insider to all clients, it's not because they are "on you"... It's because they strive for all clients to be persuaded to join our club, get rewarded, and come back and stay loyal so that YOU can bonus more, so that YOU can push yourself to showcase your drive for results and get YOURSELF promoted. I've always seen that whatever the Company goes after, if you follow... You will win! In a sense, they set us up to bonus and keep the clients coming back... So thank you RVPs and Christie Jack and Calvin... IT REALLY DOES MAKE SENSE AND IS NOT HARD.
    Hours? There's tons of reviews that talk about hours getting cut... That's normal for retail.. But guess what? Let's tie it back to what I mentioned earlier.... If you're the laziest of the bunch, and if you aren't pursuing clients, you're the first cut! I was never cut as a cast member, and I never cut the employees who are on board with making the most out of each client and working hard!
    Work life balance is amazing as I mentioned earlier. As an exempt (salaried) employee, we don't work more than 40 hours a week.. And for retail, that is pretty unheard of! I feel blessed that I get to work my 40 hours and have time for my family and still have a life.
    Sephora is a place you can make a career, but you are in charge of it and you can't blame others for holding you back. It's doesn't feel like retail, and if you are really looking to be part of something greater than a paycheck, Sephora is perfect. Sephora is rewarding, emotionally invested, and ideal for people who love to be challenged and pushed beyond what they knew they were capable of.
    #WeAreSephora

MF

Cons

I do think the benefits were better before, but times have changed and we don't work for the govt!

Keep rocking it out!

Great place to work at

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Great work/life balance. Good discounts.

Cons

Not enough working hours. A lot of cattiness

Love

Current Employee - Cast Member in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Cast Member in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting to work around the different products, learning about different product brands. I love working with other people so this job was a plus for me.

Cons

A lot of micromanaging. Too much mess among the other cast members and cashiers and not enough hours. Just like any other retail job.

Long interview process

Former Employee - Holiday Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Holiday Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy interview
    no questions out of left field
    easy to learn on the job

Cons

long hours
    long interview process

Loving Sephora, So is everyone else!

Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a great workplace! I love how they educate all of us "Cast Members", it assures we know everything for the benefit of the Clients "Customers" . I love the way the business works, and how we have meetings, Classes. The way LV runs his company assures money coming in and a great business, It inspires me! Its a very positive work place, Always recognition of the cast members (Awards, marriage Proposals, Promotions, Hard Working..etc. .it's really neat! ..) It all gets recognized, and during daily meet ups, told to congratulate them! Its just great to be acknowledged when doing good.. not most companies do that. But the DIC "Managers" really are great. They help so much,..there's so much to learn from them, and hopefully I can make it to permanent cast and continue learning and working for them. There is so much room to grow within the company!

Sorry Everyone I'm writing a lot.. Just love working for Sephora & so much to say!

Cons

You can not have any "Lazy" days of work. You cant go in wearing sweatpants and a T if you are having a rough day, like in most retail! haha But its okay because it just means that if you plan on going out after work you're already dressed, your makeup and hair is already done & its actually fun getting all pretty early in the morning and you go out and everyone around town is still half asleep lol. But at most that's probably the WORST thing about it, nothing else at all... besides seasonal hours kind of suck except thanksgiving hasn't really hit yet, so maybe Ill get more!

Oh theres one thing that does kind of suck... if you were a frequent shopper from Sephora before you worked there.. you have to get your Sephora makeup scribed or you cant bring it in at all... Which sucks.. All my makeup is from there already.

Don't hire as much seasonal.. Its hard to get in hours... especially because I am trying really hard to become permanent, that I feel like I don't have enough time to shine! & I don't want to work multiple jobs. I'm putting all of my heart in Sephora, therefore I wont get a second job since Sephora is my main focus.. So unless after the holidays I become permanent, Ill have to find more work :(

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

The cast is amazing, depending on where you are, gratis, and of course having the employee discount! It's so easy to make someone's day, the clients are amazing! I love everything about Sephora.

Cons

Everyone is so friendly but being with all women, gossip can happen! Don't take part in it.

Love sephora

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Love putting makeup on women and helping women find what they need.

Cons

I love sephora store.
    I do not have any cons