Sephora

Updated 1 March 2015
Updated 1 March 2015
3.7

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Best decision of my life!

Current Employee - Store Director
    Current Employee - Store Director

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People oriented, values its cast members and leadership teams, gives employees a voice and always takes feedback for improvement, innovative, FUN!

Cons

It's retail, and retail is not for everyone, but it is for me! Can you take a vacation once BlackbFriday hits through January? Of course not. It's retail, and that's the name of the game. But you will have FUN!

Continue to work at being inventive and innovative. EDU position is complex! Consider an EDU Specialist in all doors, to handle brand management, Onboarding, Welcome to Sephora, Sephora 101 and 201. Also, an EDU Lead to handle Training in box, DD management, non-video DD. This would allow for better training of cast, would impact a lower turnover rate, and would help in building a strong bench in all doors. In regards to technology, download the Color IQ and Skin IQ apps into the IPads in the store, as well as add Color IQ as an option in Fragrance and Skin IQ to allow quicker access to cast members.

Still the best decision I made after 10 years

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Company values are alive and well. People development and growth are a focus. Leaders who inspire and motivate. Can't ask for much more.

Cons

Too many steps for some processes

Don't ever, ever forget the values. Quiet and reserved is not a bad thing, it is a personality that calms and balances.

It was a big decision, I'm glad I made it, and I hope to continue to grow here.

Current Employee - Beauty Leader in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Leader in New Orleans, LA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sephora is value based. We put the client first. This company allows me to see all other companies in a different light. There are very, very few companies like us. We empower women, and that makes me extremely proud to work for Sephora.

Cons

Like with most companies, if you are not mobile, and you live in a small market, there is little opportunity for growth.

Listen to the "little people". These are who interact, consult, advise, demonstrate, and literally touch the very foundation of our business---the client!

Best decision I made, but...

Current Employee - Skin Care Specialist in Miami Beach, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Skin Care Specialist in Miami Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company
    Loads of opportunity
    Gratis!!
    Salary & Bonus structure
    Constant company growth
    Brand education and training are top notch
    Very innovative company
    Company Values

Cons

Benefits leave ALOT to be desired
    Store management is poor and too friendly amongst themselves
    Lots of gossip and favoritism
    Management training can be better
    Values are not applied to every person

"Where there is smoke, there is a fire!" Meaning, go to store levels and really talk to the employees. Dig a little. People will not truly open up for fear of their store manger and retaliation. This is the reason why turn happens! They deal with the "bad situation" until they find a place that pays them as close to what they currently make and then they bolt! People work for people and if the people you work for don't care about your development or constantly lie to you about the possibility of moving up, then eventually they lose their morale and move on. Too many good employees lost for these reasons.

Best place to work!

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

great Benefits and bonus program.
    Education is huge with team

Cons

sometimes its hard to have a work life balance

Keep up the motivation ! love when we are celebrated

Sephora is the home of retail rock stars.

Current Employee - Store Director in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Store Director in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Development, salary + bonus, rewarded and recognized for hard work, career succession, values based company.
    The company has restructured in a positive way, we are growing and we are adding positions. My former Regional VP is now VP of stores for the West. She is smart, fair, and can see talent! My past two DM's are still with the company and have been amazing to work for. Taking this job has been the BEST thing that I've ever done.

Cons

This is the place to be if you can deal with ambiguity and have stellar business acumen along with killer people skills. Sephora will make the best in retail feel like a rookie in the beginning, but you will come out much wiser!

Keep up the great job!

I've been working here for years and it is a fun environment to work at.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Sephora part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You learn not to be shy with colors.

Cons

They change every year there strive with clients and each store have different ways of approaching clients.

Have fun. Enjoy your job.

A company that truly believes in Values.

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotes from within, training, accessibility to senior leadership, team empowerment.

Cons

Compensation, benefits, slow moving growth opportunities.

Passion for the Client

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Sephora is a great company that cares about its people. there is values system that is in place that is talked about daily. There is always celebration but a lot of feedback. All the feedback is intended to grow a person and take them to the next step in their career.

Cons

Wages is very dependent on each individual store manager . If they like you and you are a hard worker they will compensate you. Not all of them do that.