Sheetz Reviews

Updated 11 October 2014
3.8

Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz
Stan Sheetz

Pros
  • Good pay for the area, benefits are decent (in 26 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are decent for a convenience gas station (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of hours, can be stressful, open 24/7 including holiday (in 12 reviews)

• open 24/7/365, mean working weird shifts sometimes (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor management, No workplace community feeling, and plenty of destructive criticism.

Former Employee - Barista/Cashier
    Former Employee - Barista/Cashier

I worked at Sheetz part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They generally start their employees out at above minimum wage and tend to give raises pretty often (once a year on your hire date). Sheetz hires from within so it allows for entry level employees to become shift manager and then store manager pretty quickly.

Cons

The store manager was stern, critical, and unpleasant to work with virtually all of the time. I feel that Sheetz as a company should place more thought into the promotion process as opposed to the mindless ladder-climb that it is by testing interpersonal communication skills.

I would suggest enforcing a measure to ensure that management works to improve employee morale and affection for the company.

great place if your supervisors like you!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Sheetz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

really enjoyed the flexible schedule. work load is more than other jobs, but in the right store it is a lot of fun! the bonuses are a nice perk and other incentives like gift cards and free items are too. Most of the customers are awesome.

Cons

some people don't accept responsibility and put pressure on others so they don't have to work. feedback and coaching is lacking, as is communication between shifts. the company says it's a family company, but they really are only concerned about the bottom line. even if you are a great worker, you might not make advancement if you aren't well liked by upper management.

listen to your employees when they have something to say. working with the needs of your team brings people together, if it's not taken advantage of. it would be nice to feel like someone actually cared about you as a person instead of just results.

Its a great company. With benefits.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in King George, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in King George, VA (US)

I have been working at Sheetz part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-Workers, Starting pay, bonuses, benefits, and They care about there workers.

Cons

BUSY! so what of stress but managable.

none.

Good if you like to be on your feet

Current Employee - Salesperson
    Current Employee - Salesperson

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Great benefits
    2. Get starting pay and a 50 cent raise every year
    3. 50% off food while on the clock
    4. Free coffee and fountain drinks.
    5. You meet really interesting people.

Cons

1. Hours. They can vary on the time of year
    2. Call offs. There are a lot my phone is full of texts saying X called off do you want to come in?
    3. Sometimes I feel like the labor I do isn't worth my current wage
    4. Under-staffing expect to not be enough employees on your shift
    5. Constant changing of polices to make work more difficult
    6. Holidays Being 24/7/365 meaning that you work on all holidays. While the higher ups get to stay home and enjoy their holidays
    7. Same radio in every sheetz store. If you don't like hearing the same 15 songs over and over again this isn't the place for you

Higher ups need to listen to store level more
    Try asking employees if a new police or changing procedures is a good idea
    Closing the kitchen on holidays

Great

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits, decent pay, easy to move up

Cons

odd hours, long shifts, open on holidays

more $$

Would Not go Back! This company sucks the life out of you!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at Sheetz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was a Store Manager, Schedule was nice, loved my customers, it was never a boring day there was always something that had to be done.

Cons

A lot of lies are constantly told. Higher ups lie to you to tell you what you want to hear and leave you hanging. When I started with this company they were very family oriented, towards the end all they cared about was expanding the store count and the numbers. The managers turn their backs on each other and stab one another in the back and when asked for help your told "Figure it out yourself". I had a district manager that sat me in the office the day a manager was fired, and asked me if i wanted the store, I took it because i just came out of training and didn't have a store. She was very very supportive the first six months after that she would drive past my store everyday to go to 3 other stores and not think twice about stopping. I also asked numerous times for a new store and the day i sat in the office when i was asked if i wanted to store, i also asked if taking this store would hurt my chances of getting a new store and the district manager said no. That was a lie every time i asked for a new store i was told no.This company does not uphold their promises or comitments, Word of advice to the new ones GET IT IN WRITTING WHEN YOUR PROMISED SOMETHING!

Listen to you managers, hold your District Managers more accountable for the way they treat their store managers. Open your ears and listen everyone is so affraid to say anything because they are scared they're going to be fired.

A once-great-company going downhill

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Morgantown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Morgantown, PA (US)

I have been working at Sheetz part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hours and flexibility. Fast-paced environment.

Cons

Almost always understaffed. Beware of working weekends or 2nd shift. Their sales are going up, but they keep cutting store hours. If one person calls off, prepare for an even-worse shift!

They also have cut part-time benefits. Not good for college students anymore. Just more unneeded stress.

Need more staffing. With such a complex MTO menu, greater sales, and pricier food, why aren't you putting more people on shift?

Amazing Employer and Company

Current Employee - Salesperson in Pottsville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Pottsville, PA (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My store-level management is amazing- supportive, encouraging, and positive. They do not dwell over mistakes and the company as a whole has been very receptive to both customer and employee feedback. They have been extremely understanding and flexible with scheduling. The team is, for the most part, extremely friendly and willing to help each other out. Overall, this is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Shifts can change at a moments notice due to call-offs and you are often brought in on your day off. You can also be expected to work opposing shifts that make it hard to have a personal life and stable routine. It is the nature of the job though- fast-paced, energetic, and sometimes chaotic. Sometimes, there is a lack of communication between management staff that can result in misunderstandings and problems. The job is often stressful for both management and team members which causes tension.

Recognize that your employees are working incredibly hard to bring your vision for this company to life. Once you become familiar with a shift it becomes as if you are locked into it and it is hard to convince management to move onto another one.

Notthe worst place to be

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monroeville, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Monroeville, PA (US)

I worked at Sheetz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were great and the constant keeping busy was nice.

Cons

When management would play favorites and be unfair with scheduling and job assignments.

At Sheetz, You're a Member of a Family

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Sheetz full-time

Pros

Cohesive atmosphere - it is easy to get along with everyone both in work and social settings
    Fair pay + bonuses
    Great benefits at minimal costs
    Scheduling is done three weeks in advance and covering shifts is decently easy
    Great customers
    Fun place to work

Cons

It is difficult to move from store-level to corporate
    Promotions often require relocation
    Occasional inconsistent treatment of employees

Trust your team, they usually know what they're doing. After all, you likely trained them.

Sheetz Photos