Sikorsky

Updated 12 November 2014
Updated 12 November 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer
Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program (in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy (in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Working in Engineering department is fulfilling.

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time

Pros

Enjoy the challenges of my technician job, especially working on many new projects. It is still satisfying to see a part we fabricate in the lab get tested on a flight aircraft. Decent medical benefits. Flexible work hours are a plus. General good will among workforce. The lunch-and-learns can be really interesting.

Cons

Raises are so small these days, compared with the eighties.

Good company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary if you work hard. Very good education program. Can move to many different positions based on performance.

Cons

No one is willing to admit they own a process. A lot of finger pointing and rear covering going on.

Good place to create foundation in Industry

Current Employee - Design Intern in Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Design Intern in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

excellent graduate education program
    great starting salary (average)
    all engineers willing to provide assistance in time of need

Cons

long process to increase salary
    long process to "move up" in organizational chart

value the work of your worker(s) much more

Not the place to be a salary employee

Former Employee - Final Assy Foreman/Manager in Stratford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Final Assy Foreman/Manager in Stratford, CT (US)

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products are made here.

Cons

Salary employees are very unappreciated. There is an extensive network of it's who you know to get ahead. Favoritism rules the way in being recognized, compensated, or rated in performance evaluations. Little consideration is actually given to who actually performs better at their jobs.
    I was actually told once during my employee review and annual raise / bonus ( That I was given a good incentive last year and this year better incentives were given to other lower performers to try and make up gaps in salaries for the year between foreman in the same positions. REALLY ! Were is the incentive / reward for performing better or at a higher level then your peer's.

Overtime isn't compensated at all, and you very, very frequently work at least one day each weekend, if not both. I spent countless hours working the weekend for over 6 years.

I also was laid off due to a down turn in production due to a temporary lull because of the government budget sequester. I lost my job as well as 1 other salary guy on a production line of 13 foreman between all 3 shifts. 6 months later they put postings back up to rehire 2 people back to those positions.

How much money do you think the company saved doing this as opposed to the hardship they handed me and my family by being unemployed and collecting unemployment, only for it to run out and force me to seek and gain employment at a wage very much lower just to have money coming in.

Just one example of you being only a number as a salary employee and showing how much they really don't care about the individual.

By the way, the hourly union employees get away with murder. The union walks all over the company and HR and management are frequently powerless or to scared to anger the union.

Wake up. You abuse your salary employees and take advantage of the economy that they will tolerate. Like Audry Brady and Doug Moneta told us in a management meeting " Be Thankful you have a job"

Learned quickly why Sikorsky is known as the " Bully Company. "

Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst in Stratford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst in Stratford, CT (US)

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sikorsky pays very well. As a buyer in procurement I found the work to be very challenging and never ending "plate was always full." Benefits are very good but like everything else changing with the times, cost continues to go up.

Cons

Very disappointed in Sikorsky's ethics, it's only talk. Example, in their buyers training classes the Supplier Quality Assurance Department sends in a person who tells the class "if your boss tells you to do something illegal, don't do it."
    If you go ahead and do it you can get in trouble with the government, if you don't you get terminated by your boss when SAC has their next massive layoff. All you need is to bump heads with one manager and your out the door plus "black listed within United Technology."

Upper management should take a good look at their mid level managers, a good percentage of them should not be in a managerial position. Their actions will some day get SAC in major troubles with the government.

Good company if you are working directly on a helicopter program

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty stable company with OK benefits such as defined contribution and 401k matching as well.

Cons

If you are not working in one of the helicopter program, then you are consider non-essential staff and consider overhead.

discuraging place to work

Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pays ok.. coworkers are great, enviroment can be negative often times

Cons

management is horrible and they keep adding layers of management because someones son or daughter needs a job!

An excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Though it has a deep sense of factional (departmental) pride, over all, this is by far one of the most customer, community, and employee conscious companies that I have worked for in over a decade. They are driven and well-balanced.

Cons

Factional: the main facility (Stratford, CT) has a strong union presence. There is a strong sense of "us vs. them" between blue and white collar workers. These hang-ups often lead to misunderstandings and energy can be wasted on soothing ruffled feathers.

Suggestion: "Get over it!"

Do more to bring blue and white collar factions together. Sponsor events that will help them to get to know one another. Erase the "us vs. them" stigma and help get things moving smoothly.

Excellent stepping stone for your next career

Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employee tuition reimbursement has got to be the best in the industry, if not the best available. UTC, Sikorsky's mother company, has an outstanding arrangement to help anyone better themselves through continued education. They pay 100% of college costs (with exception of a few caveats on the details). Compensation is roughly abreast with the industry normal (see cons) and the benefits package is not terrible.

Cons

Get the money up front because you will never get it later. Annual raises are a harsh slap in the face compared to how well the company is doing. They have more excuses for NOT giving you an "adequate" raise than Elvis had hits. You will struggle to keep up with inflation in that regard.

As far as personal growth is concerned, if you are not participating in the employee tuition reimbursement program, you will not be getting anything. There is a possibility of moving up in the company but it is as common as winning the lottery. You can transfer laterally all day long and sometimes get a raise that way (maybe to the likes of 8% if you're lucky) but other than that expect to transfer out rather than up.

If you are one of the lottery winners and get selected for a advancement, remember moving up in the company is not always considered a promotion. It depends heavily on where you move to and which department you came from. On that note, the company is very departmentalized in that the multiple departments simply do not communicate with one another. Often times you will wonder how things get done because different entities within the company are so foreign you would never know they were all from within the same organization.

Best of luck! You are going to need it!

Employee engagement is not giving out pizza or the occasional catered lunch. Employee engagement means getting your employee's thoughts on current items the company is facing. Stop telling the employees they do not know what they are talking about; they will only be as good as you expect them to be.

One heck of a roller coaster ride!

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time

Pros

The people I work with on a day to day basis are amazing. I work with some very talented individuals. The time off policies make it bearable to work at my company.

Cons

Management just doesn't get it. The salesmen are full of it and most of the time they don't hardly know anything about the product that they are pushing. The work environment always feels like a numbers game and a dog and pony show more than a productive place to work.

Stop self-promotion and recognize the talent you have working for you. Concentration on that would be a good start. Work surveys are enforced but never listened to. Pay your workers what they are worth and stop trying to replace them with younger and cheaper labor. Stop preaching about ethics when it's obvious that you don't follow the same ethical code!

Sikorsky Photos