Sikorsky Reviews

Updated 30 August 2014

3.1

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer
Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program (in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy (in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Avionics Technician  in  Coatesville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Coatesville, PA (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company is great, people are great and management is good! They provide Snap-on Tools and clean and organized work space.

Cons

It is in Amish Country! Very rural, and lots of farming. Not much to do around here!

AWESOME...so far

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is awesome. So many employees here are passionate about the work they do. It is truly inspiring to work here. As a government contractor security is obviously tight but the work atmosphere is relaxed and has moments of periodic stress but I would not characterize it as a stressful job.

Cons

I have yet to find any real cons with working here. But an issue I see that is something that every large company has is having bureaucracy inhibit productivity.

Great Aerospace Company

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Great employee scholarship program
    - Opportunities to get into many different aspects of the design and test
    - Cool product

Cons

- To many managers who seem clueless
    - Way to much time providing status and not enough time fixing issues
    - Difficult to move up pay and level grades

Fire or demote half of yourselves and we'd get twice as much work done and have a much better product..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One heck of a roller coaster ride!

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time

Pros

The people I work with on a day to day basis are amazing. I work with some very talented individuals. The time off policies make it bearable to work at my company.

Cons

Management just doesn't get it. The salesmen are full of it and most of the time they don't hardly know anything about the product that they are pushing. The work environment always feels like a numbers game and a dog and pony show more than a productive place to work.

Stop self-promotion and recognize the talent you have working for you. Concentration on that would be a good start. Work surveys are enforced but never listened to. Pay your workers what they are worth and stop trying to replace them with younger and cheaper labor. Stop preaching about ethics when it's obvious that you don't follow the same ethical code!

Was my first job out of college and was a great way to get my foot in the professional career door.

Current Employee - Avionics Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Avionics Engineer in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got great experience, happy with my starting salary offer straight out of college. Benefits are pretty good for me, especially since Im a healthy single male with no kids.

Cons

At the Huntsville site there isn't much growth opportunities in a since of stepping out of your engineering everyday duties. Once you're hired on in one position, there isn't much opportunities expand into other fields.

More interaction with employees would be nice other than only communicating in all hands meetings.

The most both challenging and rewarding company I ever worked for.

I worked at Sikorsky

Pros

I was given opportunity to showcase my technical skills and use
    my education.

Cons

avoiding being misunderstood as overly ambitious.

Give new hires an audience when it comes to solutions.

Good place to work if you don't mind all the rules

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Obviously the best paid job l've ever had. The work isn'the difficult, but the inspectors are tough.

Cons

The constant rumors of lay offs, then they change their mind, then they DO lay people off.

Most of the time the workers know that you are lying. We have family and friends upstairs and we have already heard the truth. When you say you don't know, we were testing you.

Very challenging environment that changes with customer obligations.

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hard work and flexibility can pay off with a competitive and rewarding career.

Cons

Not much room for growth within the job fields.

Need more guidance and help with career growth while maintaining steady compensation increase year over year to avoid stagnation.

Great projects, good experience, exceptional colleagues, big company feel.

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked in the Engineering department for a smaller subsidiary and the greatest advantage was the amount of responsibility relative to my experience. It was a great opportunity to take on bigger projects earlier in my career.

Cons

Sikorsky is a huge company and carries with it some serious difficulties: bureaucracy, management hundreds of miles away making uninformed decisions, constant budgetary pressure.

ACE is the place

Former Employee - Instrumentation Engineer  in  Jupiter, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Instrumentation Engineer in Jupiter, FL (US)

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay for contractors is great. For regular employees is average.
    Type of work is interesting, especially for someone interested in aviation

Cons

Management has the company so completely hacked up it is hard to understand what they will do next. During the last 4 years the company announced hiring freezes, massive layoffs, cancellation of overtime, redaction of raises for all employees, increased use of contractors, decreased use of contractors, etc. At the same time the company was hiring like mad, work was going gangbusters, and the earnings were through the roof. It created a lot of frustration for many employees. It made employees feel like they were not valuable. Also management implemented ACE, which is a six sigma type of program. All employees were required to learn and implement this program; although it did nothing effective nor did it really improve efficiency.

Expect long hours and lots of overtime. Sadly most of your overtime will not be paid for.

If you are looking for better efficiency and lower costs, consider improving employee conditions. Also retaining experienced employees is essential at a high tech firm. Take the resources and effort to make sure that people who have been with the company for a long time are valuable. Also, contracting out computer services to an outside vendor is a silly thing to do when dealing with a company made up of mostly engineers!

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!