Silicon Valley Bank

Silicon Valley Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker

Greg Becker

Pros
  • Good people, very focused on their employees and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• good benefits, interesting work (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They've taken the "Client First" mantra to the extreme where there is no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Its too late in IT, its to damaged thanks to the depredations of the new CIO (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Inexperienced Management and lack of self awareness- SVB, UK

Associate II (Current Employee) London, England

Pros-Good exposure to Technology businesses
    -Payscale is good but growth opportunity very less

Cons--Inexperienced Management. Awareness about the business is absolutely shocking
    -Old Boys Club
    -They mismanage the culture and value which they speak about all the time
    -If you have been here since the launch in 2012- you are on the top irrespective of your knowledge or experience. Others suffer from mismanagement

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Ambitious company with an amazing Brand and client focus

ProsDedicated senior managers
    Great culture and values
    Amazing business opportunities
    Credit policy discipline
    Global business

ConsIT challenged to keep up with bank growth
    Sales team paid by commission = bad habits
    Fast changing environment - need to be even more nimble

Advice to Senior ManagementThink differently about IT - adopt a new cloud based flexible/easy to customise platform and ditch old ASAP
    New CIO is a very good person and will lead us to new great things

Great company to work for.

ProsStrong, collaborative/team oriented culture; management has good strategic focus/objectives; strong benefit package; ability to move around to different roles internally; work/life balance

ConsVisibility around employee compensation relative to competitors; can be overly slow to make big decisions; minor growing pains (real estate challenges, hiring strategy) as bank continues to rapidly scale

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within, proactively take care of "best people" through empowerment, compensation and attention from highest levels in organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the better ones

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsGreat company, great culture, good benefits, and lots of perks.

ConsVolume of work is high, requiring a lot of overtime. Adequate training is lacking in some areas.

Proud to be an SVBer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

Pros*smart people
    *great culture
    *AWESOME benefits
    *community consciousness
    *challenging environment that embraces creative thinking and willingness to take risks
    *the most hardworking, committed, and fun place I've had the pleasure to work
    *sincere concern and relationships among peers, managers, clients and partners
    *an amazing bank, working with amazing clients who strive to do amazing things

Cons*amount of projects/changes can feel excessive- can be a lot to manage and keep up with at times
    *work/life balance - due to workload and the overall desire to go the extra mile (it's just the DNA of an SVBer)

Advice to Senior Management*allow for more time to digest change before the next big change hits
    *take time to celebrate the wins - big and small

Recall the CIO!

Applications Support (Former Employee)

ProsSVB has great product, most innovative debt financing portfolios, and has a lot do focus on pay for performance.

ConsThe CIO is able to say all the Buzz words (culture, transformation, game changing) without any substances or depth. If you are looking for a broken recorder than repeats what's wrong but doesn't have strategy nor ability to rally the team to fix them, you got the right lady. IT spending is at all time high, so much money wasted with no result. Surprisingly I year after being part of IT, she can still talk about IT issues as if she is an outsider. Absolutely no demonstration of ownership nor accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't want SVB drags down by her like California did during Arnols S' regime, it is not too late to recall.

Save IT from the new incompetent CIO!!

Business Analyst (IT Project Manager) (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsGood Benefits
    Excellent business model
    Very good individual contributors in IT

ConsI completely agree with all the IT feedback given in other reviews below. The new CIO is incompetent and does not understand technology! She cannot be trusted and is not capable of making any good Firm Sensible decisions! She has fired all Good (Make it Happen) leaders. Her new Leadership team is absolutely incompetent and are just talkers with no sense of managing IT employees (forget managing the vendors/partners) ! Instead of being effective partners with Business on Technology front, IT is trying to become Business itself taking client focus to the extreme!! Ridiculous, never seen in any IT department elsewhere. Don't know where this will all lead to, but IT is falling apart. And wait the Re-Org is still happening even after hiring external consultants to do it! OneIT is a horrible joke when no one in IT knows what each one's roles are and how the new org structure is supposed to work with so many undecided things and teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementSave IT before it becomes ONE (person) IT

Oh the CIO strikes back again with good reviews

ProsGood business side but bad bad bad IT

ConsAnd the CIO's good reviews comes to glass door again. She is not even visible in office, forget about her taking care of her team and IT. Employee morale is low to zero, frustrated employees and people who ones used to be star performer just doing their job.
    She is busy promoting women in leadership. Yes, it's a good thing, I am a woman and I support it, but she has no clue and has totally forgot about her own team. If you are looking to join in any IT team, yes in any IT team, be warned and do not ruin your career. Regardless of job and compensation do not join IT, off course unless otherwise you have no job. People are good here but at this time immature leadership is ruining it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CIO. If you are still sleeping after all the feedback, wake up. Or how about sending an employee satisfaction survey for IT employees, you will get it all out.

Great company to work for. Visionary Team

ProsExcellent core values. Benefits and Comps. Growth story. excellent opportunities for people with the right mindset.

ConsFast growing company with lots of work and less people to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on the re org. Follow through.

Be aware ... Great story but bad culture

ProsGreat benefits, work with interesting companies , good work life balance

ConsBecker is so aloof unaware of the poor employee morale. It is a huge white boy frat club. There is no diversity. The new CIO and CMO are both simply building mini empires to manage. High turnover, no career guidance unless you are one of the chosen few. Huge hidden perks for another class of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is changing too fast in a bad way. Curb employee turn over not through useless focus groups but with mentors... Invest in non revenue generating employees. Becker please show that you care asides from you prepared speech you give every qtr at the employee town hall. You are not approachable. Managing out of fear has become the norm

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!