Slalom Consulting Reviews

448 reviews filtered by
4.2
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Management walks the walk

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

Advice to Management

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

Mar 20, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great that you are enjoying your colleagues and the work as well as the unique culture we have here. Your feedback regarding steering clear of ... More

The Future is Unwritten

Current Employee - Solution Architect in DFW, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, hard working people, who have excelled at what they have done and continue to excel at slalom.

Great Compensation for a smaller consulting firm, I have read some complaints on Glass Door about Compensation, Sick Pay etc. All I can say is, if the pay and benefits were so great where you were why did you leave your last position (Really think about it)? Slalom is very upfront about all of the benefits. Slalom is evolving and growing and each year is trying hard to stay true to it's Culture, I really appreciate this, and so do a lot of my co-workers.

Understanding Management, I have never felt the boot of management on my neck, like some of the reviewers have harped on. This is wholly unfair to the great team that works hard to provide the best experience for their employees.

Chart Your Own Path both a Pro and a Con, it's a Pro to people with an entrepreneurial spirit, (Con) many of the hastily departed think they are going to "Land" at slalom and career-coast, without a can-do attitude you won't get far.

Slalom self-corrects, it's can-do culture scares a lot of people, this is fine, if you face your fears and grab the challenge by the horns you will be rewarded, and often your ideas and work will be implemented into the company! However if you shy away and grumble about how much better things should be, I am afraid you may find yourself looking at more green grass on the other side of the fence.

Cons

The only real Con I can think of is the Office Location, centrally located, but traffic is becoming an issue so making it the office can sometimes be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, it's easy to be a critic and through the lense of Glassdoor the critics seem to be the only ones making noise (Also there are a lot of good reviews). I am here to tell you that what you do matters, I really appreciate the effort it takes to be true to overall mission of slalom with all of the real constraints of clients.

What really gets me is the negative reviews on Glassdoor, while containing nuggets of truth here and there, don't really address the posters own failures, the failure to reach out and say something, or try something, a great company takes commitment from it's people, I have committed myself and have seen the company grow, and it's people prosper. I am proud to work at slalom because I know that there are great people leading the company, they believe in their people, and hard work will bring success. If you are reading the GlassDoor reviews and are considering working for slalom, please keep my comments in mind, slalom wants you to succeed!

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for leaving feedback on Glassdoor. It's wonderful that the benefits, culture, management and ability to “chart your own path” are all pros for you. It’s true that, even with our local ... More

3. Better than most!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are plentiful for those who bring a willingness to work hard to realize their ambitions.
    Fast growing company leading to increased opportunities for all.
    Innovative career development framework available for consultants who understand that in order to advance your career you must be proactive.
    Get to work with some very smart and creative people.
    Constantly being challenged to grow and develop professionally.
    Good salary and overall benefits.

Cons

Typical cons of working for any consulting firm; unknown and typically longer commute times, complex and challenging work with tight deadlines, higher standards expected of your work product, work assignments can vary greatly sometimes interesting roles but other times staff augmentation.

I love consulting! I love the variety and the challenges of my role, but it can be tough. Clients will typically blame the consulting firm before taking any responsibility, but most consultants are professional enough to take it on the chin and move forward.

It's a tough job but I get to work with some amazing people at Slalom which makes it all worthwhile. If I wanted an easy job I would have been frightened away by the challenges of consulting long ago.

Advice to Management

Keep growing Slalom, more growth provides better opportunities for our people. Don't forget that People are at the center of what makes Slalom great.

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for writing a review of Slalom. It’s good to hear that the opportunities, the company’s growth, your colleagues and your compensation are all working well for you. You’ve attributed your ... More

Good company for work/life balance, lacking benefits, training and perks of other consulting companies

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work/Life Balance - local consulting, no travel, no up-or-out, reasonable work hours

Cons

-Benefits - including 401k and vacation are not up to par with the rest of the industry

You are the owner of your success

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible company, great people, good opportunities, growing, good leaders, active in the community

Cons

PTO, still some staff aug situations as we grow client relationships

Advice to Management

Increase PTO

Great culture but the projects aren't great

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom focuses on maintaining good cultural value across all the offices. The GM and managing directors are passionate folks who are great leaders. In addition, the local model allows you to work where you live with reasonable hours. Lastly, I was really excited that slalom values getting involve with the community and it was one of the big reasons I stuck around.

Cons

The benefits are sub par at best with 15 days PTO. Projects are staff augmentation for the most part and people are starting to get tired of the discrepancy of what the CSL's are promising and what the actual work entails. It's understandable that the office is still growing and the leadership team are working on building the "slalom brand" but I would have appreciated if they didn't sell me on the fact that the work was not staff augmentation but consulting. Career advancement is very unclear and it's pretty obvious that certain people are favored more than others.

Advice to Management

Be crystal clear about the office goals for the next 5 years and consistent career advancement across all the offices. There are a lot of experienced folks that come in at the flat consultant level and are unsure what is coming up next. Having a consistent structure on place would be comforting for most people who come environments where paths were clear.

Interesting, awkward, misleading, and fun people, all rolled into one.

Former Employee - Solution Principal in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Solution Principal in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good. Easy to make some fast $. Some leaders are true leaders. Seek them out and learn with them. Others are manage-up only. Avoid them like the plague, they're only self serving. Not a lot of travel, although I did travel to conference and management meetings outside of Chicago. Profit sharing and extra $ incentives for people at my level. I've been promoted, I've been respected, but the pats-on-the-back only go so far.

Cons

Flat-out miserable benefits. Not the best insurance. Terrible PTO structure. Having a child? Forget Maternity or Paternity. Pay for it yourself, use up your PTO, and then lose money. 401k or other investments? Poor selection and one of the lowest company contributions I've ever had in 18 years. If you're at the managing director level you are allowed to invest in the company's private growth - i.e. shares. Not atypical to need to invest $100K of your own capital. This is absurd! I understand the reasons for wanting that cash infusion based on the equity structure, but many of the best places competing for talent give substantial options/equity at a fraction of that cost, and only have very short vesting times. Employees working for more innovative companies see a MUCH higher upside when it comes to employee equity. I've experienced it myself. Management is hit or miss. Some are very misleading. Some are very collaborative and helpful. I think they all care, just not about you or your success. I suppose this happens everywhere. However Slalom advertises how different they are, and it just isn't. Very Anderson-Accenture like. You can rock the heck out of a project and a client can rave about you, but if a certain PAD or MD has hesitations for any reason or has a favorite, you're getting nailed. I've been in the reviews, I've seen and heard it. The culture and drinking fest is not optional. You don't show up to enough of them, it is career suicide. If you're in management and you don't show up, you're frowned upon. These are great for networking, but honestly, it has turned into more of a role-call in a way. Constantly shifting or moving standards to measure people. Even when you think you've got it down, it can change based on someone's perceptions. Look I loved my time for what it's worth, but there are MUCH better alternatives for smart people wanting to stretch themselves and do great work. Many people here talk like they chose Slalom over McKinsey or other awesome startups or big players like Facebook or Apple or Boston Consulting Group. The people here just are not there. They're good but they're not that upper crust capable or the amazing that is present in these top companies.

Advice to Management

Provide more true value. Much of what has happened at Slalom, and the Chicago office as well has been to nurture thought innovation and then have techies bill the hell out of a company. Slalom is not a forward thinking company when it comes to technology or innovation. Only very select projects will truly keep sophisticated and engaged technologists and thinkers happy. Example: highest level of the company pitches me on taking on leadership role at an existing client. Good role description, great opportunity, nice alignment. Perfect, right? Not even close. Poor structure in place at client (I wonder how they can be so happy with Slalom?) Not a great team building experience, use cases and work to be done is not even close to what I was sold on, and then largely I am told that if I want to do the work I was told I'd be doing -I need to create that role for my self by making the client see me as the value provider for something they don't want in the fist place. OK, I understand making yourself invaluable, pitching our brand, brining amazing value. But there is a point when Senior Management has to be more transparent. it's about trust. When it is broken, it's broken. I'm all about taking one for the team, but there needs to be that trust and team concept. if I'm going into a rat-hole, let me know ahead of time. Let me be ready to help in that capacity.

Great people but sub-par assignments and 2nd tier management issues

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful and very sharp. The culture is amazing. The company hosts great quarterly reviews and the annual retreat with significant others is awesome. The GM is top notch at what he does, personable, humble and remembers everyone.

Cons

Assignments won't necessarily be within your professional expertise and staff aug assignments aren't out of the realm of possibility. Resisting a staff aug assignment or one that is not close to your profession is highly frowned upon. You take what you're given. Too many members of the 2nd tier of management seem to be more concerned with selling anything that they don't take the time to think whether it's a good fit for the company or the consultants. You're at their mercy. Top management talks about meaningful work for us but it's just talk due to some of their direct reports. They need to review the motivation and work of their 2nd tier managers.

Volunteering for internal projects seems more like a mandate than an option. If you're not active internally then it can be looked upon negatively. Internal contributions outside of your full-time assignment are expected. Doesn't seem to matter if you have a family or long commute, it is in your best interest to volunteer when it comes to raise and bonus time.

3 weeks of PTO is sub-par.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and really look at the assignments being handed out against the skill set of the consultant. It's not fair to bring in people who are seasoned professionals then place them in a staff aug assignment or an assignment that is outside of their profession. Making record numbers feels good but at what cost are they being met?

Overall positive but not sure how long I'll stay due to the weight of the cons

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work life balance, most of the time at least
    Professional development
    Local model
    Challenging work most of the time and local market is growing
    Entrepreneurial feel
    Smart and experienced colleagues who care about the client and performance
    Good direct boss
    Culture is casual and fun. At least it is on the off chance you’re in the office or get to make it to a happy hour, retreat, or the other many hosted events. The events are fun and the effort is appreciated but it is just hard to get to them when you’re working long hours at a client site. It seems the internal staff benefit from these more than consultants.

Cons

PTO is pretty awful and sabbatical is kind of a joke because it takes too long to earn, especially when a consultant ends up on the bench and it is not their fault. And consultants lose sabbatical if they promote to even the first level of management.
    401k match is pitiful. Many of us talk about how we plan to stay only a few years as a reprieve from the intensity of our previous firms or employers but will need to go to a new company to focus on retirement planning.
    Promotion requires selling and there is no insight offered into what your new pay could be so you can decide if the extra time and energy investment would be worth it.
    It is tough that the local area is so large so it can mean a long commute depending on where your client is.
    Culture is good, but a lot of it is just good branding or applies if you are an internal employee. The people in the office seem close and very 'Slalom' because they can go to all of this stuff regularly.
    Some members of the leadership team have reputations that make consultants avoid their projects or team or even leave the company.

Advice to Management

Improve the 401k and PTO. It makes no sense to see how these have been ongoing issues for many years and still no improvement. Give up some happy hours and events for better vacation and retirement.

Look closer at the management team feedback and their feedback. Some are amazing to use Slalom’s words and some are not. What is the point of the manager delivering on numbers if people avoid working for them. That can be a successful model for only so long. It also erodes the company culture and employee base desire to stay long term.

Don’t focus too much on the new cross practice goals so much that you lose meaningful and deep work in the specific practices. Consultants will not be happy if it comes to mean watered down work in areas they aren’t passionate about just to show we worked across practices and meet the goals so the management team is rewarded. These goals could have unintended consequences.

Keep trying and keep doing the things in the PRO list. The positive intention of the founders and top management team is appreciated. There are many good things about the company but the negative things must be addressed, especially when we are growing so much, or we will lose what makes the company special - and the employees that make it both special and successful.

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your in-depth thoughts here. You’ve obviously put a great deal of thought into your review and it’s appreciated. I’m glad to hear that some aspects of the ... More

11. Great Company!!!

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in West Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in West Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom Consulting strives to better each and every one of their employees, not only for the growth of the company, but for the growth of each individual. While the employees here work hard to better Slalom, Slalom works hard to create better lives and opportunities for each employee. Slalom has an amazing culture, that really feels like a team.

Cons

I have no cons!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, and never lose sight of who we are!