Slalom Consulting

Updated 17 October 2014
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed (in 73 reviews)

• Great Culture, strong consultants, pushing towards a services oriented model placing teams to deliver results to clients (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• Too much staff augmentation projects (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

After 2 years, more in love with it every day

Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Work-life balance is excellent. The management cares greatly about ensuring we work hours within reason. I have even been told to "not work late" when a manager once saw me sitting at my desk while he was heading home (it was 6pm).

- Management I can trust: I sincerely believe the New York management has my best interests in mind. The GM is thoughtful, smart, fun to be around, and a great motivator for the office. I have never worked in a place where the head of the office can both feel like a leader AND a friend. Meanwhile, the head of my group and my career counselor have me feeling like I could never find better support anywhere else.

- I have been allowed to forge my own path. If you want to create something here and if it works for Slalom's business, you've got a match! This company will enable you to grow into the consultant or business manager you want to be.

- Lots of company happy hours, dinners, opportunities to get involved in projects outside of work

- No travel (unless you want to)

- Office culture is extremely happy (overall- though there are a few sour grapes...but you can navigate around them and they usually don't seem to realize you're even doing it)

Cons

- PTO is insanely bad and not competitive.
    - 401k match is too low

Slalom is a great company with a lot of opportunity. I am thankful to be in the New York office with such an incredible leadership team and such competent, friendly, and intelligent colleagues. National needs to get itself together and offer consider better PTO and 401k options, and learning opportunities should not just be electives, but required. Sometimes it's very hard to get learning opportunities in when also feeling like we need to be at the client. We will not grow without continued education. This should be a priority.

Oct 08, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share this specific and valuable feedback. It's wonderful that you find both the work and culture to be so fulfilling and that the management style is so conducive to ... More

Great people, not vetting the managers for alignment to core values will be their downfall

Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

* People - People tend to be outgoing, inclusive, and willing to help.
    * Work/Life Balance - The earned PTO and Sabbatical for Consultants allows for impromptu mental health days and planned vacations.
    * Access to Leadership - The owners of the company do respond to emails and will send unsolicited emails to consultants to congratulate them on articles or newsletters the consultant posted.
    * High Profile projects - Slalom is getting more and more access to high-profile, challenging, and interesting projects.

Cons

Managers that don't believe/follow core company values - Some upper management only consider their career and profit, not how much they are working their teams in order for them to be profitable.

Vet your managers. Listen to the feedback of the team, especially of team members that have requested to leave that team. Make sure the people you are promoting are promoting the company's core values and not just focusing on their personal profit and upward movement.

Oct 16, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's great that you're finding the people, the work/life balance and the clients (as well as the access to leadership) to be positives of your ... More

Great Culture and No Unwanted Travel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was always impressed with Slalom's business model and the unparalleled success they have found as a locally focused consulting firm. Now being apart of the company I can see why we have been able to achieve that. With our strong focus on employee engagement, work life balance, community involvement, and delivery of amazing work to our clients Slalom is a truly a unique place to live your work life. It is exciting to be part of a growing company that provides meaningful work with Fortune 500 companies and has an unlimited professional development budget (within reason). In addition to that, Slalom provides great perks like an all expense paid away weekend once a year, monthly happy hours, quarterlies, and a 4 week sabbatical after three years of service. If you are tired of being on the road and working with remote teams, Slalom provides a high touch consulting experience.

Cons

As a growing company, Slalom has gotten better each year on the benefits they are able to provide employees. Just this year they sent an HR representative to each office to talk to employees about what was most important to them so they could pull together a strategy of things to implement next year.

I've enjoyed the new Lunch with a Leader program where employees can sign up to attend a lunch to get to know a leader that they previously haven't had much interaction with. My advice to leadership is to keep giving employees the opportunity to learn from you.

Oct 10, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback. Great to hear that you are fulfilled by the work, the culture and your colleagues. I will make sure that leadership hears your thoughts ... More

Truly amazing company that is worth to work for

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Competitive salary / fairly good benefits.
    - Amazing and very capable co-workers.
    - Company really cares how you feel about your work. you can provide weekly feedback about your work if you would like. Leaders contact individual employee immediately following week if they see any sign of warnings.
    - Good work life balance in general. There are crunch times based on project you take, but this is the same for most of all other companies.
    - Very strong leadership. They have visions, plans, capability to run the business.

Cons

- Even with local consulting model, sometimes you will need to drive down to client office that is quite far from your living place. But this is clearly stated in your job description.
    - Probably can improve health benefits bit more.

- You guys are doing great job so far. I do see consistent effort of trying to be connected with employees so no complains here.

Oct 22, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for providing feedback. It sounds like you find the leadership, your work and your colleagues to be major highlights. I will make sure that your feedback regarding improved health benefits ... More

Slalom is Legit

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart dedicated people. Basically unlimited training budget for employees (within reason!)
    Having worked at several large consulting firms where weekend and evening work is expected, its very refreshing that I have only had to work weekends and evenings a handful of times over the past five years.

Great opportunities for networking and social activities
    Amazing clients that I want to work at!

Cons

Some growing pains where some internal processes need reworked. Lot's of new people joining makes it hard to know everyone as before.
    Some benefits could be improved but I will trade a few less PTO days for no travel and a great client list.

Look at ways to improve internal process without becoming like all the other consulting groups

Oct 07, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts. It's wonderful that the work/life balance of Slalom is working for you. As you point out, growth is ongoing and leadership in SF and around the ... More

Exceptional Company Despite Challenging Client

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company's values, Intelligent co-workers, flexible career path, impactful work. Although the client I am currently staffed on has been extremely challenging from a work-load and effectiveness standpoint, I am seeing my boss and other leaders make extra effort to make sure that us Consultants are "hanging in there" and feel fully supported by Slalom.

Cons

Processes and procedures still solidifying, work-life balance is a "moving average." With a career path which you can define yourself, there is a lot of opportunity but it can also seem a little daunting. If you want a mentor or career coach, you better come with a plan and not expect the mentor/coach to lay it out for you.

I'm very impressed by all of the Senior Management at Slalom Dallas (and the National leaders). Please keep doing great things!

Oct 16, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience working with Slalom. Sounds like you are enjoying many aspects of the work and colleagues. Glad to hear that you are staying positive even though you are ... More

Love what you do, who you work with and have fun (in your home city)

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consulting work without the travel
    Really smart, collaborative coworkers
    Small firm feel but not a start up - you're still getting career development, growth, mentorship but the engagement and fun of a smaller company

Cons

Your not going to get a cookie cutter career path - you'll have to be more entrepreneurial to guide your career

Continue to push for more project based work

Oct 03, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It's great that you are appreciating your colleagues and the structure of your work. I'll ensure that leadership hears your thoughts about ... More

Great place to worked focused on make the consultant successful

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Slalom makes every effort to support the consultants, staffing them on projects that fit their preferences: client, location, role. Slalom is starting to invest more in formal development of the consultants, historically professional development has been very self directed. This is in the effort to move into delivering high value services.

Cons

Slalom is still trying to move to team based solution work but there are still a number of Project Management / Business Analyst roles. You may be encourage to take on of these roles to keep the consultant off the bench.

Oct 03, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice. If you have any other feedback that you'd like to share, we'd like to hear it; feel free to email HR anonymously at [email protected]

Cannot imagine working anywhere else!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path

Cons

I have none at this time

Oct 07, 2014Communications Manager

Fantastic to hear! Thank you for taking time to provide some feedback. If you have more feedback you'd like to share in the future, feel free to email HR anonymously at [email protected]

Great place to be love your work and your coworkers

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are legitimately great. I really enjoy working alongside my peers, solutioning client challenges with my teams and leadership, and grabbing beers after work with pretty much anyone at the company. It's a fantastic blend of new challenges all the time, the ability to build and expand the brand, a great support system (front office / back office / national / local), and a company that knows how to have fun. Our projects are increasingly strategic, challenging, and valued by clients.I enjoy going to work. I enjoy hanging out with coworkers after work. It's a great place to be.

Cons

Some of our legacy clients still view us as a Staff Augmentation firm and some of the "old guard" still think about our company that way too. This is changing, but it's a process.
    Also, if you need a super rigid work structure, with a well defined career path (i.e. 12 months after an MBA you should expect X title, and 12 months after that you should expect Y title), you might be disappointed. Our company is growing, it's fluid and dynamic, and that may not be comfortable for everyone.

Continue to work on the lifestyle equity benefits. Need better maternity / paternity programs. Better 401k match.

Oct 02, 2014Communications Manager

Thanks very much for your detailed and thoughtful comments. It's great that you are enjoying the culture, your colleagues and clients. I'll make sure that leadership hears your thoughts regarding the ... More