Slalom Consulting

Updated 23 January 2015
4.4

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Management walks the walk

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

I have been working with Slalom for less than one year and my experience has been very positive and refreshing!

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

1. Working with highly qualified consultants, average years of experience 10+.
    2. Flexible career path - you define it! This is refreshing coming from a 'Big 4' consulting firm.
    3. True to their core values, one of which is 'Do what's right for the client, always'. Consultants are invested in serving the communities that they live in.
    4. Fantastic office culture

Cons

No cons thus far. Very satisfied.

Continue doing what your doing and let's not steer towards the Big 4 structure.

You might "love your future" at Slalom

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meaningful projects with good, quality clients that are professionally engaging and personally satisfying. If you want variety and challenge you will get it. Excellent personal and professional growth opportunities. Trials by fire you can't help but grow from to become an experienced hand. Great people and positive, supportive atmosphere at Slalom.

Cons

Consultant team solutioning type engagements (as opposed to single consultant staff aug roles) are being sold more often now, but too often the sales stage did not cover the necessary assessment and team staffing needed to truly deliver a great final product solution for the client. The consultants thrown on these types of engagements are then left in the lurch to figure out how to salvage a project that wasn't sold and staffed properly. Project management without the knowledge or use of software methodologies like Scrum & Agile which are needed for Slalom teams to succeed on solutioning projects.

The new initiative to designate a "principal consultant" on team solutioning engagements is a good step. The desire to remain a 'flat' organization without more hierarchical senior role opportunities is a major problem for driven individuals who want a clear career growth path, and who often take up a senior/leadership role on consultant teams anyhow. In general, organizational flatness is counter-effective when you need more team leaders on these engagements.

IT Support

Current Employee - IT Operations/Support Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Operations/Support Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

location, fun people, benefits, free work events, games, happy hour on friday

Cons

long days, busy, desk work

Best consulting firm to work for

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

- My managers and superiors were incredibly supportive of my career growth and development, including transfering to new client engagements when I was burnt out or needed a change.
    - The company has numerous outings and gatherings to keep the offices close. These are a lot of fun and are a great break from the day to day of client work
    - Client engagements are not typically sold just to meet a bottom line, but rather to raise the levels of the client and give consultants a chance to work on some substantial work.
    - It's a national network of local market offices. I worked at two of the offices over 3 years and got to work remotely with 8 other markets and all very smart people. Each office has it's own flavor, but every office hires kind, smart, and engaged people.
    - Local market offices mean you are not in an airport every week, rather you get to sleep in your own bed every night.

Cons

- The cons of Slalom are generally issues that consulting firms have...
    -- You don't work with your co-workers very often if you are a consultant. You see your project team most often, if you aren't staffed in an individual contributor role.
    -- In addition, with consulting, you could be ramping up for new clients and new environments as quickly as a couple months.
    - Sometimes the senior leaders can be cliquey, which doesn't prohibit professional opportunities, but can make connecting with them in social settings outside of client work.

Keep living the core values from the top down. Great work

Keeping true as being the best

Current Employee - IT Service Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Service Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Slalom is a great company to work for. The culture within the company is diverse, yet it works. Because of the diverse group of people that work within the organization, there is a match for every type of customer. The local-resource model is excellent. Being able to work in the community where you live, and work with customers just outside your door is a welcome change to the typical consulting model where consultants spend numerous hours traveling to and from customers - coast to coast - which eat into family time. Heading out to the customer, and being home for dinner is the best of both worlds when you enjoy consulting.

Furthering your education and expertise is only limited to your ability to manage your own time.

Cons

You need to understand and feel comfortable with consulting. You will start a "new" job every few moths in some cases. If you are comfortable with the consulting model, Slalom has very few downsides to their model.

It would be nice to have a bit more transparency on how merging markets, like Silicon Valley split from SF is tracking against targets.

over hyped

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the only positive is you would mostly work within 50miles of your local office at your own expense! this means having to drive 49.9miles every day at your own expense

Cons

insane attrition. Attrition is attrition over 50%? Every company get together you meet a new set of people. Not a secure job environment specially for people who depend on a employer work visa(H1) as they have no long term client commitments. All the projects tend to me 2-3 weeks long.

terrible perks or the lack of! health insurance is very expensive, no 401k match, only 3 weeks of vacation and no sick leaves. projects are very intense in IT with regular 55+hr weeks....no growth within the company. If you join the company as a consultant expect 4-5yrs before you get a decent salary bump.

get real project from large organizations

A company that really is a place for those who want to choose their own career opportunities.

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Invests in people, cares about creating opportunities that align to consultants and truly cares about collaborating with clients.

Cons

Not a great place for people who need templates and polished best practices as it thrives on staying "scrappy" to solve the hardest problems with the client. This is probably more a pro than a con.

Keep the focus on the people as always. We are Slalom!

Hard to Beat!

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Tops out work-life balance equation and focusing hard on Career Development paths
    Corporate Exec Leadership sincerely solicits and responds to feedback; approachable and grounded

Cons

Comp & Benefits needs a serious look if this is a place to retire (Base, PTO, Health, 401(k)... all need some serious work!)

Team based project work is not all it's about; I like being a senior-level trusted advisor and would like to see that emphasized too as it uplevels branding; not just about the 2 comma club. Balance Expansion and Growth with Comp and Benefits package to retain talent for the long-term.