Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product(in 15 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers(in 14 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want(in 12 reviews)

Need to be a more employee friendly company.

Sleep Professional (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsFor the most part t was an enjoyable experience, people bought the product and it was easy to sell. The people were great and made a lot of friends

ConsUnrealistically high goals, beds and accessories which are made in China are severely over priced. Weak leadership in my district and individual people do not get recognized at all. Only the store(s) within the district that out performs the others get any recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the district manager, you need to keep in mind that although policies are in place you are dealing with people and not just a number. The delivery service they use has cost many a Sleep Professional their deals by over promising and not delivering

Oversold position, unrealistic expectations

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsTrained with exceptional customer service principles, excellent products.

ConsStats for agents way out of line along with expectations of complicated and technical and system knowledge for all products since company began. 'Help line' dishes attitude and scolds agents, very demotivating and unproductive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPosition was oversold apparently to get higher caliber agents. Leadership is defensive and doesn't listen to feedback. What started as a great opportunity quickly melted down into a waste of time. Agents have extreme accountability, poor resources. Expectations way out of balance.

Good opportunities for those willing to work

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsOpportunity for growth and advancement

ConsExecutive leaders don't listen to the feedback of customer facing employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed the people I worked with and the projects I worked on.

ConsI didn't see anything negative while I worked there; I don't have any cons to give.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Wish I could give zero stars.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation. The bed is worth the money. My direct manager is the only person who had any idea what was going on.

ConsThis company is blinded by the benefits of their product. Management has no time for anyone but themselves. It's a rat race that pays no mind to the people actually bringing ideas to the table, and then upper management takes all the credit. Turn around times are ridiculously short. It's pitiful. A toxic work environment that no one should have to endure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your staff.

Good while it lasted

Store Manager (Former Employee) Asheville, NC (US)

ProsHelping people get a better nights sleep

ConsThe corporate side of the business does not care about what is happening at a store level. Retail hours. Most of the stores are in malls.

Advice to Senior ManagementFelt I was walking on egg shells the 7 yrs I was there.

Great place to build a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irmo, SC (US)

ProsFirst of all, the product is great. I have and always will be a fan of the Sleep Number bed. The company itself has a great management team who encourages employees to do their best and promote them based off of their strengths. I personally wouldn't be where I'm at if it wasn't for my 10+ years with this organization. They are well structured throughout, offer great benefits, and offer very competitive pay as well.

ConsThere's not many to list. It can be difficult to move up within the manufacturing facilities due to the overall lack of staff positions, which is to be expected with any company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Human Capital responded to this review

Mar 14, 2014

Thank you for your review. It is great to read your positive feelings towards Sleep Number, and thank you for spending 10 years with us!

Management Heart in the Right Place, but Poor Execution

ProsStill has a small company feel even with steady growth. Product innovation is highly encouraged.

ConsLimited opportunity for movement.
    R&D time seems too rushed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sleep Number has come a long way from days past.

ProsThe company is continuing to move in the right place.

ConsPay your managers more salary.

Please check out the job opportunity very , very well before taking it. They don't tell you one quarter of the truth.

ProsDon't have to do much in way of sales, just doing busy work in case a customer walks in.

ConsEverything from top to bottom is in shambles. Cult like atmosphere. Always in that "Gotcha" mode. Motivational practices are horrific. All politics. Strongly advise against applying for a job there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking about ways to bring customers into the stores instead of your rah rah fraternity type approach and having the employees make 50 phone calls a day. You want to be a big time operator start acting like one. Upper management has no idea what their regional and district managers are doing to their company. Human resources can not be called on for anything. Situations are just swept under the rug or come back at you instead of helping you.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!