Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros:
  • "Great product with great concept and innovative product"
    in 14 reviews
  • "I get to help people improve their lives (and sometimes save marriages) by improving the quailty of their sleep"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, good company culture, flawed product and lack of growth

Area Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart friendly culture. Great people who really care about each other. Well thought out and executed training program. Good benefits and 401k.

ConsThe new CEO is leading the company in a bad direction. Lack of focus on the customer is starting to show in the sales and word of mouth.

A great place to make a difference!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

ProsThe environment is welcome to new ideas, expects your opinion and suggestions on how to improve our processes, and demands us to give our best for our customers.

ConsI wish I would have joined the company earlier!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep informing us of what is coming and challenging us to be our best.

Oct 01, 2013

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. Your feedback is certainly appreciated!

Mission driven company with exciting future.

Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company is still at that size where there is an opportunity for everyone to make an impact. It's a company you feel good working for knowing how the products help to improve customer's lives everyday. Solid leadership. Culture with strong values. Working with a group of employees continuously focused on improvement and customer satisfaction.

ConsWhile there is some strong bonus potential, base salary is not as competitive.

Exciting opportunities with a growing company

Digital Marketing (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsGreat people. Smart leaders. Awesome products that really live up to their benefits. Growing company with many opportunities to make a difference in your career and in the development of the company.

ConsVery process-oriented corporate culture; too much at times. Should try to operate more like a start-up, and give more autonomy to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more nimble; don't be afraid of mistakes; let your employees have more freedoms to take things and run with them; don't stress so much over everything aligning to a strategy. Sometimes, you have to do things because it's right, no necessarily because there's a strategy attached to it.

great opportunities available at growth company that allows for work / life balance

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Prosgreat opportunities for growth in matrixed organization growing at a rapid pace, management cares about employees and culture, good work / life balance, great products

Consi have no cons to share

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

STAY AWAY!!!!! Poor upper management and constant sales theft from other employees

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

ProsThere weren't any major pros to the position.

ConsCompany pins employees against each other to get sales by any means possible causing constant tension amung stores and sales people. There is no work life balance, you work 50-60 hours a week to be successful and some district managers will question you taking your day off. Belittling by your direct report boss who has no knowledge of the job in general. There is never any positive encouragement but constant attempts to break you down. Store manager is just a title, you can't hire, fire, suggest changes, or have any input into what your store does. One size fits all budgeting for every market.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook deeper into who you hire as leadership. Yelling at employees and telling them they are dumb when clearly they are much more intelligent than the person yelling is no recipe for success. People are more successful when they are appreciated for beating sales from prior years and listen to store managers as they know the business climate in their market best.

Nov 05, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to see that you did not feel there were any pros to working for Sleep Number, and would like to understand more about your comments. Please reach ... More

wonderful. I learned alot about sales and customer service

Sleep Expert (Former Employee)
Mesa, AZ (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI enjoyed working with my team. I learned about ordering, running reports and sales processes.

ConsIf you can't say something good, do not say anything at all

Oct 01, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your experience as an employee. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed working with your team and that you learned some key skills while employed with us.

Sleep Number is one of the top 6 fastest growing retailers in the US.

Talent Acquisition Partner (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsSleep Number offers an exciting environment if you are looking for a progressive growing company and values their employees.
We are innovative, offer products that improve the individual sleep experience, and contribute to individuals overall wellness.
It is exciting to be part of a company that so far has made an impact on over 8 million lives.
We are the 6th fastest growing retailer in the US. Sleep Number employees are passionate about the product and our work; you can feel partnership throughout the company as we work together towards a common goal. Everyday we challenge ourselves to excel, deliver an amazing product and a superior customer experience. Sleep Number offers flexibility in work schedules; generous discounts on products and a business casual environment all at our beautiful new facility complete with an onsite cafe and gym. Sleep number employees are rewarded because they are recognized for their accomplishments and challenged as professionals.

ConsI cannot think of one.

Advice to Senior ManagementSleep Number has a strong leadership team that is highly visable and approachable.

Good Money- Terrible Management and Horrible Hours

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH (US)

ProsIf you don't have an education or sales experience it is a great place to start- you have potential to make pretty good money- shooting for 35K this year. The sales process makes the job very easy- follow what they tell you to do and you will sell.

ConsThe company promises MOST employees that they will grow in the company and be promoted- that is a lie. I have watched managers and sales people leave the company because there is so little room for growth. I have been working for the company for 2 years and I have watched my manager bully every employee in the store I work in. From making people cry, not giving them time off that they need with their families, stealing sales from them, or sexually harassing them- my boss is TERRIBLE. No matter how much the store employees and myself call our district manager nothing has ever been done because our store sells and makes good numbers for the company. It is pathetic how much they will protect one manager, who brings nothing but drama to work, and allow really great sales people to quit or transfer to different stores in the market. This VERY corporate company does NOT care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict managers need to pay attention to what store managers are doing. I have been at the store I work in for 2 years and my DM has been there 3 times. He only oversees around 12 stores- what does he do with his time!? My manager probably works between 25-35 hours a week and I wouldn't dare tell HR or my DM because I don't want to deal with my boss from hell making my days even worse. Take care of the people who sell your product. It's common sense.

Oct 01, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad to see that you find our sales process to be effective and easy to follow. Your comments regarding your manager are very concerning ... More

Ok job if you like following scripts and calling the same people over and over

Sleep Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe product really does help a lot of people. My immediate manager was awesome, great person.

ConsRidiculous scripted selling process, no room for creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and making constant changes to the already burdensome selling process. Let salespeople sell. Just because I say "Sleep Number" twenty times does not make someone want the product more. You are out of touch and have no idea what it's like to talk to a real customer.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Videos

Sleep Number by Select Comfort – Why Work for Us?

We are Sleep Number. And for over 25 years, we’ve been changing the way the world sleeps—one person, one experience at a time. Based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we are the designers, manufacturers, marketers and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sleep Number by Select Comfort reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sleep Number by Select Comfort CEO Shelly Ibach. All 120 reviews are posted anonymously by Sleep Number by Select Comfort employees.