Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Corruption Within

Former Employee - Home Delivery Technician
    Former Employee - Home Delivery Technician

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Working at Home Delivery was fun and rewarding. I met a lot of great customers and enjoyed being part of improving people's sleep experience. The products, although overpriced, are extremely comfortable.

Cons

As an employee, I recieved very little support from management in helping the customer. I wanted to replace defective components for customers and was told not to or not given the parts to effectively do the job. Many customers expressed their dissatisfaction with customer service. Misinformation runs rampant. Between departments you could be told opposite things. Sleep Number seems to care about you up until purchase, then makes it very difficult to get help, repair, or attention. The training I had was terrible. Training programs were being put in place throughout 2014, but focused on new hires, leaving current employees to fall behind. The product itself is inexpensively made and could be sold at a much lower price point. Upon my termination for accidental misuse of company property, they did not return personal items to me. After several attempts to get my stuff back (stuff I had brought from home to improve the customer experience) I was treated rudely, lied to, and threatened.

Hiring processes could use consistency so that you get a quality of employee that is currently lacking. Trust and communication between upper management and the field is sorely absent. Goals were not clearly defined, easily achieved, or shared by the General body of employees.

Jan 16, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties within the organization.

Company has too much control over how much you earn.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product. The mattresses truly last a very long time. You are allowed one weekend off per month.

Cons

Customer service, cery poor. District Managers have too much control over your success, they don't care about the customers or those who work below them. They only care about thier paycheck.. HR is there to protect upper management and the company. If you have a problem or an issue with your manager, they willtry to convince you that you are mistaken. You are told they will look into the matter but they don't do anything to help or protect you. There is verbal and physical abuse going on that is ignored by HR. As a store manager you must leave your store to cold call on physicians, recruit for the company even if you don't need another associate in your store and you are pressured to attend or create as many events as possible, this will create awareness so the company can save money on advertisement. You gain leads but then your conversion goes low ( low conversion is held against you). DM's distribute their work on store managers so store managers have more responsibility than they should. The WORST health benefits in the world. No paid holidays. 3 days, Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter are the holidays that the store closes but you have to take them as one of your days off for that week so it's not like having a 4 day work week when major holidays come around.

Hire quality people. Don't just throw someone into a position without being qualified. Care about the little people, they are the root of your success. You are a National Company with recruiting departments and advertising, utilize them. Let the Store Managers and Sales Professionals do the job they were hired to do. Make sure the District Managers do thier jobs and not passing thier responsibilities on everyone else. Set realistic goals and make sure the District manager do the same. Inspect the District Managers more to keep them from purposely making it hard for those they don't like. Improve your health benefits and stop making employees re-enroll every year.

Jan 16, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! I am passing your comments about customer service, your district manager, and HR concerns to the appropriate teams at the home office.

Sleep expert

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Great Products! Learned so much about the study of sleep. Enjoyed changing lives and building relationships with my fellow workers and customers.

Cons

Management often sets unattainable goals and it is very stressful. We can only do our best, that's all anyone should expect! Noone else in retail is setting goals 20 - 40% over LY, especially without the marketing to support it!

Jan 23, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We are pleased to hear about how much you enjoyed Sleep Number products as well as the knowledge you gained about the importance of sleep. We will share your concerns ... More

It is a great entry level opportunity!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

It is decent pay for entry level, and it's a good place to "get your feet wet" get some experience.

Cons

Working in customer service can become like a labryinth! You think you are getting somewhere with promotions to different teams, but in the end you end up "stuck" in customer service. Few make it out of customer service and into different departments.

It would be nice to get a bonus at Christmas time. It is something to do community events for others, and we have employee's that need help just as much.

Jan 09, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding the growth and development of our Customer Service Professionals as well as additional opportunities to support our employees. I ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The compensation is very good! Management is supportive and the training is very thorough. It is a rewarding job where you can build a relationship with the clients.

Cons

May be hard to find work-life balance because of the night and weekend hours that you work, which is typical for a retail position. They will work with you as much as possible though.

Check on employees on a regular basis to make sure they are getting the upport and opportunities for advancement that they desire!

Jan 09, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

We are so glad to hear that you are finding your position within Sleep Number to be rewarding and we truly do appreciate the relationships that you are building with our customers. Thank you for the ... More

Great Product-Great job-Terrible management

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The product really does sell itself.
    Got to sell what I loved
    Great customers

Cons

Management was poor
    You are basically customer service even though you tell them to call customer service themselves if they have a problem from the beginning
    Cold calling
    Customers give you way to much personal info
    Pay

Dec 19, 2014Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We value your feedback and have taken this to the appropriate parties.

A severe culture decline over the last few years

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The pay and benefits are good.

Cons

They are an 'out with old in with the new' company these days. Do not try and bring your personality or ideas with you.

Listen to the advice and recommendation of the professionals at the management level.

Jan 16, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I'm sorry if you felt that your ideas and recommendations were not heard or acted on. Should you wish to further discuss your concerns please feel ... More

Sales professional

Former Employee - Sale Professional in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Sale Professional in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you like long slow hours .. Slow at times. Not a very hard physical job

Cons

Management and upper management CEO. They like to keep you confused on all the sales . They usually have 3 different sales going on at the same time. Causing sales professional to lose their commission

Train store managers how to truly lead , not lead by insulting employees while on the sales floor in front of customers

Dec 19, 2014Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! I am passing your comments about the commission/sales and management concerns to the appropriate teams at the home office. Should you wish to ... More

Simply Wonderful!

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

Great culture.
    Great work life balance for retail.
    Top notch Senior Leadership!!!

Cons

None that I can think of! Great long term vision and direction.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Nov 21, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback!

good company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They car about their employees, and have different events to show appreciation.

Cons

Very strict on hours, being 60 seconds late is equal to missing half a days work, 2 minutes equal to missing an entire day.

Nov 21, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great to see that you enjoyed the different appreciation events we have in our Customer Relationship Center!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos