Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 23 August 2014

2.9

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Sleep Professional

Former Employee - Sleep Associate
    Former Employee - Sleep Associate

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Pros

-great coworkers
    -good product
    -good manager
    -the feeling that you are genuinely helping people
    -good work/life balance
    -good sales experience

Cons

There is no communication within the departments. Delivery issues take entirely too long to get resolved and the sales people are the ones who are punished for said issues.

The sales goals are completely unrealistic unless your manager is super chummy with your DM.

The sales that are run are not competitive with other similar companies. People want a discount with extended financing, not one or the other.

Hold delivery and logistics accountable for cancelled orders. Don't punish the sales staff when we have done our job. They should all be paid on delivery. That will ensure that deliveries are actually completed.

Budget the stores for how they are trending. You'll get more favorable results for the stockholders in the long run. You'll also have a happier sales staff because they will actually make money.

Stop adding all of the new innovations. It ultimately makes it more difficult to sell what people came there to get: the Sleep Number bed. Throwing everything at the customers turns them off and drives them to the competition.

People want to buy the product, but the sales offered need to be competitive with the other companies. There is value for their money here, but not when they feel like they are not getting the best price they possibly could.

Jul 07, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing your feedback. It's great to see that you enjoyed your work/life balance and felt that you were genuinely helping others. Your feedback regarding opportunities will be ... More

Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay.
    Flexible hours (Except holidays).
    Decent benefits.
    The Sleep Number Beds.

Cons

Horrible upper management starting with District Managers.
    Quite often mall hours.
    Quite often located in a mall.
    Can be extremely stressful.

Stop letting your District Managers be the Gustapo. They are less needed than everyone else in the chain of command. They are typically the biggest idiots with the least responsibilities.

Excellent organization

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Exceptional pay, solid training, growth opportunity, extremely good product that actually delivers, sales orientation that is 100% customer oriented

Cons

Not too many cons! Solid company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wow! Manager was a great liar! Never in my over 40 years of working have I ever experienced such a horrible experience!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as an intern

Pros

The company product is great... I own two sleep number beds.

Cons

The interview was a joke. Manager promised a job and told me to call back. I called back and the guy acted like I was an foreigner or something. He was a complete liar. I can imagine how he treats his employees! I'm glad I didn't get hired.

Get rid of this type manager...they will kill your company!

Jul 07, 2014Human Capital

It's great to see that you enjoy your Sleep Number beds! It is important to us that our candidates receive the same type of experience our customers expect, so please reach out to ... More

This is a company that cares very little about their employees

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a good product

Cons

Age discrimination within the company
    Store goals set 20% higher than previous year which makes them difficult to reach
    Upper management not in touch with sales people
    Very political environment If you don't know the right people there is no room for advancement
    Make sure your managers are able to take their vacation time
    CEO puts all of her cronies in top positions

Be kinder to your store employees and know whats going on at the store level All you care about is $$$$$
    Your training tells up how we need to listen to each others needs but you do little of this

Jul 07, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We would like to understand your concerns in more detail, so please reach out to Careers@selectComfort.com to connect with a Human Capital Representative.

Great culture and great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are real and really care about Improving lives!

Cons

It's hard to break in to other departments unless you know someone.

Care about your front line representatives!

serious about sleep

Current Employee - Sleep Associate  in  Shreveport, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Sleep Associate in Shreveport, LA (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent training, supportive team members, customer focused, products are easy to be proud of and sell themselves.

Cons

Family benefits are expensive - can't afford them. Corporate office seems out of touch with rest of company
    too much subjective power given to managers without monitoring them

remember who the first customer is: your sales force

Sleep Associate

Current Employee - Sleep Number Sleep Associate  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Sleep Number Sleep Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Above average pay
    Generous commission structure
    Great health insurance

Cons

Not concerned with health or safety of employees
    High stress environment
    Financing offers not comparable to competitors

Listen. Try to help employees meet standards instead of weeding out good employees with unreasonable expectations. Maybe a weekend off now and then?

The most disappointing, disconcerting and painful experience of my career.

Former Employee - Sleep Professional
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Pros

The products are amazing and they are of great value and great benefit to consumers. Product innovation is stellar. Benefits are good.

Cons

Store Manager did not foster an environment of growth, did not implement company vision. The manager was not present - physically or mentally - much of the time (lack of support & guidance). I felt de-valued, demoralized, marginalized and exploited quite often. A co-worker and I had a conversation with DM re: abuses that went absolutely nowhere. As long as the numbers are there, management doesn't seen to care. I felt over-worked, under-appreciated and discounted even though I brought a lot that was positive to the position (customer service excellence, new ideas). There was a lack of communication, poor training and feedback, and abuses of scheduling and policy. I came into SN excited, thinking I'd found a home; but endured behavior, including unethical behavior, that no employee should have to endure. I left without finding a new position because my health and well- being were paramount and I was tired of being in distress. Also, in re: to goals, you only make serious money if you hit 120-140%+ of goal - often double digit increases and not necessarily reflective of economic factors. There are realistic goals and then there are fantasy goals. I also believe that a Store Manager should manage & lead, not be in competition with subordinates - the culture and sub-culture leave a lot to be desired. There is more I'd like to convey, but unfortunately, I would be writing several pages and I don't believe it truly matters because we're "replaceable".

Take a look at some of your Store Managers and if Sales Professionals come to the DM or call corporate, be willing to listen and take a look rather than focus solely on numbers/dollars. If you want to be a great employer as well as a great brand, you've got some work to do, in my opinion.
    Management needs to execute the corporate Vision which, I believe, would create a more harmonious work environment at store level and positively impact morale and productivity.

Wonderful learning experience

Current Employee - Human Capital Business Partner Intern  in  Irmo, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Human Capital Business Partner Intern in Irmo, SC (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great plant atmosphere with an engaging workforce

Cons

No big issues other the factory not getting much exposure in the communities

more local radio promotions. Get out in the communities in Salt Lake City and Irmo. Many people do not even know they are there.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!