Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 17 December 2014
3.1

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Very Boring

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff and other store managers are wiling to help with questions. Customers really loyal to beds and easy to sell using the selling system, no other delivery/ complaint/ return follow up (goes through corporate) just regular friendly follow up after sale. Good Benefits

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals! Company in "aggressive" growth but sales over 400 stores didn't make goals. Blamed marketing but too slow to compensate for the HIGH goals that were distributed by DM. When the goals are determined by DM for each store it's not based on any real percentages from last year, just lofty dreams of company. One month will be 20% above the next 50% above last year and not concise with store size and location. NO TRAINING at all...had to rely on staff (not their job) to train me. Not the best strategy for a company unless it wants the employee to pull the strings of management. Long boring hours.

Have a clear understanding of the business to give realistic goals to DM's. This company makes great money and shouldn't dangle the carrot for their own gain. TRAIN MANAGEMENT, don't have the employees bear the burden plus it demotes the managers role in their eyes.

One of the best decisions for my future choosing this company for employment.

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Lawrenceville, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Lawrenceville, NJ (US)

Pros

It's odd to work for a company where you actually speak to your Regional Vice President and he's awesome. Same goes for the District Manager which normally one dreads to see. The commission system is structured to reward you more when you and your store succeed at goals. And the teamwork aspect of the selling process is emphasized greatly. Only have a few coworkers and one manager to answer to is almost like having another family you're a part of. The products and the benefits they offer for sleep are innovative and ahead of the competition. My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry.

Cons

The hours can be long. And sometimes the goals may seem a bit unattainable. The Ups system doesn't always work out in your favor. Stores that don't work as a team will likely have individuals who fail to make months. I have zero complaints about management in all aspects.

Potentially fix the system so former employees who bought beds are considered inner circle. Not all are terminated and most may leave peacefully. It's tedious to ask district manager on a case by case basis when old employees come in looking to replace their old mattresses or purchase for loved ones.

Otherwise keep up the good work!

Sep 26, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your positive comments and thank you for choosing Sleep Number!

I love working for Sleep Number.

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Employee discounts on beds.
    -What you sell actually helps people and improves lives.
    -Ability to make decent money; even great money.
    -Small staff so it becomes like a second family.
    -Little to no stress work environment when compared to other jobs that pay the same, more, or less.
    -No take home work.
    -Easy to read commissions. No surprises on payday.

Cons

-In the past year store hours on Sundays went from 12-6 to 11-7, taking away more time from family/personal time. I'm sure this works in some markets but in the Bible belt we don't see traffic in our stores until after 1pm and it slows down by 5pm.
    -No matter how much paid time off you have earned it feels like a punishment to take more than an extra day or two off a week because of how aggressive the sales goals are.
    -I would like to see the commission structure not be capped at 8% when you reach 140% to your sales goal. I would also like to see it be the highest tier commission on everything you sold and not an average.
    -I would like to see Sleep Expert's be able to be rewarded with a quarterly bonus. Not as high as the Store Managers but at least something.
    -I would like to see them do a little bit better job at planning sign changes so they don't land on Christmas Eve, Halloween, etc. That is our family time and it would be nice to not be stuck at work.
    -I don't like the UP system and the fact that we get secret shops that potentially cause us to lose out on real customers that are buying.

Keep moving us forward and growing.

Sep 26, 2014Human Capital

I shared your feedback with the appropriate departments here at the home office. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Great Place for A Career!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

If you are interested in improving the quality of life of the your customers as well as that of you and your family, then Sleep Number is a great place to grow your career.

- Uncapped compensation including hourly, commission, and bonuses
    - Fantastic product that actually works
    - Ongoing commitment to new and exciting technology
    - Sales methodology that has been proven to be effective
    - Aggressive marketing
    - High value placed on ethical customer interactions
    - Fantastic balance of team/individual success focus
    - Flexible schedule
    - Vertically integrated company
    - Full health benefits
    - Opportunity for advancement in a growing company
    - Performance-driven rewards like s.w.a.g. and trips
    - Multi-Store Leadership that actually cares about its sales force

Cons

Retail hours can be tough.

Sep 26, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion! Your passion is truly valued, and thank you for choosing Sleep Number!

Changing Lives One Bed At A Time

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products that really help a lot of people. Consantly bring out new innovate products that no other competitor has. My fellow managers in my district are great teammates. DM worked his way up from sleep professional so he has a good understanding of the day today issues a store managers faces. Very supportive.

Cons

Communication between corporate and retail could be better. Home delivery is a mess right now.

Clean up the problems with home delivery.

Sep 26, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your review. I would love to hear some of your ideas to improve communication. Please reach out to [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you!

Culture declining.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The Product changes peoples lives.

Cons

You have to be a skinny white female to get ahead.

Sleep Number is a great company as long as your consistently hitting your monthly goal.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

You can make good money, if there is a Sale or you have a busier location.

Cons

No job security! You have to hit 100% of your goal every month, to be a valuable employee.

Management could help employees reach their goals before their own since their monthly goal is lower. Management should also help in generating traffic into their store!

Sleep Number Manager for 8 Years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is an outstanding company that truly believes in their employees, the product, promoting from with in, and giving people every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

In my time I had 4 district managers. Three were fired while I was there. The fourth fired me. He was inconsistent, although there over 10 years, ignored policy, and used personal reasons to let me go - based on a month my store hit plan.

If you have a district manager you is terminating a large percent of his staff, look at the DM before allowing him to fire more. Also, maybe follow up with some of those that he has fired and find out if he did anything to help them out.

Everything should work, nothing does.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great Discount on beds. Not much management oversight if you're not one of the few bottom performers. However, this also means you don't get time to work on career development.

Cons

Poor leadership follow-through. Changes are not communicated, are compartmentalized, and ever changing. New products launch without testing, troubleshooting is expected to be flawless when the troubleshooting changes daily. Company expects you to post big numbers while providing no support.

The most horrific company from Hell that you could imagine!!!

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, but over priced!
    A lot of great customers.

Cons

Enormous employee turnover at stores...RUN
    Horrible management.....Run
    Uses lies and intimidation tactics......RUN
    Report anything to HR and they share with RM so you get put on black list no matter what.
    This is their mantra....you're replaceable no matter what...even if you did everything expected of you.....RUN
    Store mgrs take every advantage they can and aren't held accountable for anything.
    Ups system is not fair...vacation time unfair and you'll never get it. ...RUN
    Whatever they tell you in interview are lies!!!
    All propaganda...first couple weeks they're decent....then the boom drops...Could write book of cons, but won't. In a nutshell....they only care about the bottom line because of the tremendous GREED....not their employees at all. You could be at deaths door....but get to work....no one to cover...it's your mgr day off.
    If you want a job in HELL...Work for SC.
          You'll be overworked, underpaid and treated like DIRT!!!

ALL OF YOU SHOULD RESIGN and be replaced by HUMANS!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos