Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 13 November 2014
3.1

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture declining.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The Product changes peoples lives.

Cons

You have to be a skinny white female to get ahead.

Sleep Number is a great company as long as your consistently hitting your monthly goal.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make good money, if there is a Sale or you have a busier location.

Cons

No job security! You have to hit 100% of your goal every month, to be a valuable employee.

Management could help employees reach their goals before their own since their monthly goal is lower. Management should also help in generating traffic into their store!

Sleep Number Manager for 8 Years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is an outstanding company that truly believes in their employees, the product, promoting from with in, and giving people every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

In my time I had 4 district managers. Three were fired while I was there. The fourth fired me. He was inconsistent, although there over 10 years, ignored policy, and used personal reasons to let me go - based on a month my store hit plan.

If you have a district manager you is terminating a large percent of his staff, look at the DM before allowing him to fire more. Also, maybe follow up with some of those that he has fired and find out if he did anything to help them out.

Everything should work, nothing does.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great Discount on beds. Not much management oversight if you're not one of the few bottom performers. However, this also means you don't get time to work on career development.

Cons

Poor leadership follow-through. Changes are not communicated, are compartmentalized, and ever changing. New products launch without testing, troubleshooting is expected to be flawless when the troubleshooting changes daily. Company expects you to post big numbers while providing no support.

The most horrific company from Hell that you could imagine!!!

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, but over priced!
    A lot of great customers.

Cons

Enormous employee turnover at stores...RUN
    Horrible management.....Run
    Uses lies and intimidation tactics......RUN
    Report anything to HR and they share with RM so you get put on black list no matter what.
    This is their mantra....you're replaceable no matter what...even if you did everything expected of you.....RUN
    Store mgrs take every advantage they can and aren't held accountable for anything.
    Ups system is not fair...vacation time unfair and you'll never get it. ...RUN
    Whatever they tell you in interview are lies!!!
    All propaganda...first couple weeks they're decent....then the boom drops...Could write book of cons, but won't. In a nutshell....they only care about the bottom line because of the tremendous GREED....not their employees at all. You could be at deaths door....but get to work....no one to cover...it's your mgr day off.
    If you want a job in HELL...Work for SC.
          You'll be overworked, underpaid and treated like DIRT!!!

ALL OF YOU SHOULD RESIGN and be replaced by HUMANS!

First five years was great last two a nightmare. TOO much stress... threats constantly!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people sleep better. No other ++++

Cons

Too much pressure, corporate never happy, you can seel over quota, but they are still not happy because you did sell certain items. Always lieing to employees about advertising or when things will occur. No promotion path.

Fire Regional VPs they are all liers and never have an answer.

Very, very, very boring and bad.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

If you like living in a fantasy land and like being a yes man or women it's the place for you.

Cons

One of the most horrible retail chains out there. Advertisment and smoke and mirrors are what make it stay afloat but that won't last forever. People will find out that it's only an air mattress that is still subject to mold like it's always been at a ridiculous price. Mattress has no support whatever. They now have upper management posing as managers and salespeople to leave positive comments on sites such as this. This is a fact. Some people are not able to get out that easily so they have to stay a bite their lip and say yes , yes, yes all day long. Their sales pitch is canned and they fail to tell you that although you can return your product you have to pay $200.00 to have it picked up that's after paying $180.00 to have it delivered. If you ask certain questions they will answer but you have to know to ask them or they wont offer the info. Stay away, stay far, far away.

It is much too late for any advice they seem to enjoy their self destructive ways. If there would be one piece it would be to look into the way Regional and District managers handle things. Out of control and no one to stop them.

Experienced Sales Professionals, Don't waste your time.
    This Job is for kids.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping people get a better nights sleep is probably the best thing about working at Sleep Number. Working at Sleep Number helped me appreciate my previous sales job and helped me with my decision to go back. Thank You Sleep Number.

Cons

Very poor pay for all that you are required to do. $9/hr plus a 2.5%commission of sales to hit $50,000 or more in bed sales. Poor management and lack of corporate training. You are required as a sales person to clean bathrooms, dust, vacuum, clean windows, change light bulbs, change beds, change in-store signage, count inventory, pass audits, maintain paperwork, self train, and sale beds, pillows, blankets, sheet sets, etc.., for $9/hr and a 2.5% commission. The kicker is that you can earn an 8% commission if you hit 130% of your monthly goal. Sarcastic Wow! Don't waste your time with this company. Oh, forgot to tell you that Store Managers sale against their sales reps and also have a quota to hit, however they do not earn more than 2.5% commission. So to me their isn't any motivation to move up into management. Benefits are less than ideal, especially medical. You pay 100% of your doctors bill until you reach $2500 throughout the year before the company will cover a measly 80% of your doctors bill. Pathetic.

To upper management, train your store managers to train their new sales reps. Give realistic expectation on pay and benefits. Store managers need to work their shifts and provide support to the store and their team, not sale against them. Pay more commission, a 2.5% commission rate is insulting, especially for a product that's marked up 400% or more. Thank you for helping me realize what my real sleep number is, a 35, as in 35% commission for everything I sale. Now I can "Sleep Well". ;)

Unrealistic goals/tasks from out of touch Corporate Management

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Good employee discount program and potential to make decent money, although commission percentage is not the best unless you greatly exceed your goal for that month.

Cons

Canned sales pitch with little room for your own personal style.....even though they tout the "make it your own" philosophy, they really don't want you to deviate from their script. It is also the worst Ups System I have EVER worked under....with this system, it is possible to work an 8 hour shift and not speak to s single customer while watching your coworkers get all the sales that day.

Have an honest discussion with the people in the trenches...throw out some of the meaningless tasks (Hot/Warms, etc.) and allow the talented sales professionals you hired to actually show you what they can do when they aren't required to perform like trained parrots. Re-evaluate your Ups system.....it is very discouraging to work your full shift and not have any customers of your own while watching your coworkers sell. 2.5% is a VERY low commission rate.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Aug 28, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! I am passing your comments about the ups system, commission, and sales process to the appropriate teams at the home office.

not a customer friendly store

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

retail hours - unreal goals that are not reachable - keep sales from making too good of a paycheck

Cons

retail hours - unreal goals that are not reachable - keep salespeople from making too good of a paycheck

Stop treating employees like dirt and increase the commission.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos