Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 17 January 2015
Updated 17 January 2015

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

work in progress

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a sales professional I feel very comfortable recommending the high quality products in a low pressure sales environment. The products literally sell themselves.

Cons

Very flat management hierarchy, if you are reporting to a superior that you are not compatible with, your kind of stuck.

Exchange policy for bedding doesn't match the most progressive retailer. Customer service isn't keeping up with sales growth

Freedom to help the customer

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management gives you the power to do what's best for the customer

Cons

Lack of communication between Home Delivery and customer service

Get rid of Xogistics

This is a very innovate company. They want to be the apple of beds.

Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back environment. Great work culture. Good staff.

Cons

Parking. Lack of training to the stores. Lack of infrastructure in place during peak season.

Develop on online training portal to help stores and techs.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent culture for employees who enjoy being challenged and rewarded, this company helps change lives!!! Company recognizes sales success with a living wage, and outstanding new products which keep it interesting.

Cons

Retail and extended holiday hours are a drag. Is it useful to open at 7 or 8 on Labor Day and stay until 10 at night? So much for the holiday.

Keep innovating, it is working!! Let go of the over-paid pompous jerks who contribute very little.

Sleep Number is constantly evolving

Current Employee - Sales Expert in Bonita Springs, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Expert in Bonita Springs, FL (US)

Pros

Pay structure allows for the ability to make a good amount of money. The company recognizes success with their "President's Circle" each year and sends them on an all expense paid vacation!

Cons

The manager I had was less than professional and I have met others that were the same. They raise your goals over 30% when you hit them which makes it much harder to hit your commission tiers.

Spend more time with your managers developing the culture that Sleep Number is all about.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Oct 14, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing your feedback and advice. I will pass it on!

A laid back sales experience

Pros

Great work environment. The stores are nice and decent hours.

Cons

Not being able to have outside internet options in store is a drawback. We are adults and should have access to competitor websites for comparison and knowledge.

Keep the sales plans low enough where the sales greyhounds don't stop chasing the rabbit.

Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Decent income, discounts, fellow employees, customers, products.

Cons

Retail hours, no work life balance, Incompetent district Manager.

Realize that the people in your stores matter. Work life balance is important as some of us actually do have family and friends. I have missed several important gatherings since being hired, however, I believe it is our DM that is to blame. Great company to work for overall and very fair compensation for work done and the benefits are not bad at all.

"Easy job"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Low pressure selling process. This product sells itself once the customer experiences it. Great technology and a totally unique customer experience. The attention we give to customers stands out against other mattress shopping experiences.

Cons

Flow of customers can be slow at times. I could work for several days without an opportunity to speak to a customer. The boredom can be overwhelming because you work alone a good bit of the time.

Upper management seems to lack a sense of direction with the companies future. Upper management needs to understand that when they invest in advertising, customers walk in the door....when the advertising back off, so do the customers.

Difficult work environment and no work-life balance.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great line of products. Vertically integrated company with good growth opportunities. New and comfortable facility. Decent benefits with annual bonus payout.

Cons

Very chaotic work environment. Insufficient resource staffing causes excessive work hours. No work- life balance. No confidence in senior leadership team.

Hire more people.

One of the best decisions for my future choosing this company for employment.

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Lawrenceville, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Lawrenceville, NJ (US)

Pros

It's odd to work for a company where you actually speak to your Regional Vice President and he's awesome. Same goes for the District Manager which normally one dreads to see. The commission system is structured to reward you more when you and your store succeed at goals. And the teamwork aspect of the selling process is emphasized greatly. Only have a few coworkers and one manager to answer to is almost like having another family you're a part of. The products and the benefits they offer for sleep are innovative and ahead of the competition. My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry.

Cons

The hours can be long. And sometimes the goals may seem a bit unattainable. The Ups system doesn't always work out in your favor. Stores that don't work as a team will likely have individuals who fail to make months. I have zero complaints about management in all aspects.

Potentially fix the system so former employees who bought beds are considered inner circle. Not all are terminated and most may leave peacefully. It's tedious to ask district manager on a case by case basis when old employees come in looking to replace their old mattresses or purchase for loved ones.

Otherwise keep up the good work!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Sep 26, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your positive comments and thank you for choosing Sleep Number!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos