SmartBrief

SmartBrief Reviews

Updated Apr 01, 2014

SmartBrief President & CEO Rick Stamberger

Rick Stamberger

Better than it should be

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is an ambitious company, both in the company-wide goals and in the day-to-day life of the employees. People who work here tend to be competitive and highly-motivated, and the management expects people to work hard and smart to succeed. This place is a meritocracy.

What SmartBrief does (publishing enewsletters for trade associations) is fairly boring, but that doesn't seep into the workplace. The people here are energetic, the opportunities for development and advancement are plentiful, and there are tons of perks (lots of happy hours and parties, trips and events, sports teams, and the ever-publicized free beer machine).

ConsThere are a lot of workplaces where you can "coast." This is not one of them. There are metrics on everything, and you are constantly compared both to your colleagues and to yourself (what you did last week, last month, last year).

You won't be able to impress your friends and family with where you work, because none of them have ever heard of SmartBrief. You won't be able to brag about what you do all day, because it's universally hard to explain to outsiders.

This doesn't seem like a company that you can grow old at. It's a small company, with a finite number of available positions, so it's hard to get promoted beyond a certain level. Even when positions are available, they tend to recruit senior-level candidates from the outside. SmartBrief loses good employees to better offers fairly often.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's obvious that there has been an effort to make improvements, especially around communicating changes and internal information, and in providing training. Don't rest on your laurels. Continue to push these efforts. There is no excuse for a company this small to do a poor job in communication, education, or integrating/orienting the workforce.

Fully satisfactory

I have been working at SmartBrief part-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmartBrief has fantastic company culture. Senior management is brilliant and coworkers are friendly, entertaining and make the office an enjoyable place.

ConsThere are not many opportunities for career growth.

Invaluable career experience

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great culture that encourages collaboration and professional development. A great place to start for entry level positions and mid level management.

ConsGetting promoted beyond the mid level management is not impossible but extremely difficult. The common turnover deals with entry level positions with a few management positions. VPs and Senior Managers tend to get hired from the outside. I'd advise a new employee to consider their time at SmartBrief to have the shelf life of 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the communication about larger goals that transcend beyond the quarterly check ins. Many managers lack true leadership to expose and guide to the larger goals at hand.

Sales

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time

ProsThis is the best time ever to be selling digital advertising and SmartBrief is great in the sense that you get an unprecedented amount of responsibility so early on in your career-- if you work hard, it will pay off and there is uncapped commission which really is rare these days. We are working among some extremely talented people and everyone should take advantage of their willingness to be a mentor-- especially recent grads- you'll learn a lot.

The office environment is great- everyone really gets along and recently SmartBrief started a softball team so it's a great way to spend more time with people in other departments. This summer each department has been hosting their own happy hour for the rest of the company, which has been a lot of fun.

It's disappointing to see so many complaints about HR- it seems like some people forget that as we expand into a larger organization, we also have to go through some learning curves. In the past year HR has brought on an incredible talent team, and it is amazing to watch the change in how we go about bringing on new talent, as well as developing the talent already here at SmartBrief. Whether you take advantage of it, that is up to you.

ConsThere is low pay for entry level positions until you get promoted into an AE role and can start making commission- but if you bust your ass for a year then it's totally worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart being harder on people who don't make their quotas-- there should be no excuse, since they set them.

SmartBrief...great company, great culture!

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmartBrief delivers and excellent product for B2B advertisers that yield results. In the crowded B2B world, email is king and SmartBrief has that figured out.

Professionally, the company has 2 high quality modern offices--DC/NY, with a great culture and a real understanding of work/life balance. Nobody is looking over your shoulder. There is an inherent trust that we are all adults and we are all self-motivated and that we want to do a good job. So if you have to stay home to meet the cable guy, that's ok. Do your job, get online and work as if you were in the office. No problem.

ConsThe organization is a bit too flat. It is great for young people, but hard to grow the more senior you are in title/experience. When you've gotten all you can out of the organization you need to look outside for the next opportunity. I have seen excellent talent walk out the door due to limited opportunities.

As with many a small company, the growth opportunities are limited so you have to be prepared to check your ambitions at the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove people around. Foster talent, spread the wealth, but don't be afraid to make unpopular decisions. Ask the hard questions. Stay engaged.

Unfortunately, SmartBrief suffers from a lack of decisiveness. For a small company decisions are not made quickly and employees suffer as a result. Further, there seems to be a small committee of a few who make all of the decisions without proper checks and balances.

Keep on doing what you are doing

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmartBrief is a great company that is moving from a start-up atmosphere to a maturing organization. I see lots of growth and development opportunities for myself and others in the future.

ConsManagement has been too patient with poor performers. I am writing because some recent reviews here are totally unfair. I recgonize the people who wrote some of them; they were poor performers who were dragging down the rest of us and are now anonymously griping about a really good company and raising issues that don't exist. Why don't you take a look in the mirror instead of lying?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood faster. We're behind you.

Great for new grads, not for long-term employment.

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time

ProsSmart people, fun culture, good life/work balance.

ConsDisorganization, incredibly high turn-over rate, compensation not equal to work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR - start doing exit interview to find out how to reduce turn-over rate! Incessant turn-over makes everyone's job harder and less pleasant.

Best Company That I Ever Worked For

Account Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing place to work, phenomenal culture, flat organization where your ideas get heard and your work contributes directly to a growing company. Right product, right time. Employees genuinely care about one another to the point where it feels like your colleagues are extended family.

ConsCan't really think of any cons. Great benefits and tons of perks. If I had to pick something they could add, offer gym memberships for all employees, but that's far down on my list.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Only if you cannot find a job somewhere else

I have been working at SmartBrief

ProsThe office is pretty cool. Upper management pacifies employees with free beer and free coffee. Everything is new, so I cannot say anything bad about the office. Most people would be cool with working in our office.

ConsPoor pay, poor treatment of women, no training, and management by intimidation. You will not advance your career to the next level working here. Do not even try. Many are people talking about quitting and looking for another job. They will make you sign a non-compete so you cannot work anywhere else. Most of the people who quit have to lie and say they are going back to school just to get away from them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry talking with your employees. You might learn something.

SmartBrief has poor benefits for women, but you get free beer!

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at SmartBrief full-time

ProsSmall company, so you get to know everyone. The location is in the center of the city. They have a nice outdoor balcony. There is a Starbucks next to the building so you don't have to walk that far.

ConsManagement does not know what they are doing. Employees receive almost no training and are expected to know what to do. If you do get hired, just plan on eating pork and beans for dinner every night, or living at home with your parents, because you will not make enough money to live.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally no benefits for pregnant women, but you serve up all the free beer anybody wants. That speaks volumes, about what you think is important. You should really be ashamed.

Worked for SmartBrief? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SmartBrief reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SmartBrief CEO Rick Stamberger. All 28 reviews are posted anonymously by SmartBrief employees.