Smithsonian

Updated 8 December 2014
3.8

Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough
Wayne Clough

Pros
  • It is quite an interesting place to work with behind the scenes understanding of what happens in the largest museum complex in the world (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits after two years of employment and committed people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a chance for full time position (in 5 reviews)

• Huge bureaucracy, it takes a long time to process any new plan (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, great people, WONDERFUL experience

Former Employee - Video Production Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Video Production Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Smithsonian

Pros

-the people are VERY friendly and will go above and beyond to help you out in any way possible
    -you will learn something new and fascinating every day that you work here
    -very rewarding and rich experience

Cons

-they don't pay very well
    -I was only there for the summer
    -The few weeks of the festival are VERY hectic and time demanding

Very positive internship experience at CFCH

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Center for Folklife & Cultural Heritage is a great place to intern, works on a wide variety of projects (in addition to the annual Folklife Festival). Interns are given challenging, intellectually engaging work. Area of focus depends on your supervisor.

Cons

After a wonderful internship experience at the CFCH, I was disappointed that there aren't many opportunities for interns to transition into employment. It's a fairly small Center, most staff are experts in their field and there are few entry level positions.

Excellent Federal position

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible project work, decent resources available, good employee socialization and recognition experiences. Plenty of opportunities to collaborate across departments and teams. The mission of the entire organization is strong and embedded in almost everything being done. Lots of chances to explore partner organizations in the area due to strong and long standing relationships that are very reciprocal.

Cons

Slow moving entity, it takes a long time to get to completion and many of the steps seem related to ingrained process versus project need. I sensed that some (not all) people were clock in/clock out types with little passion for the work being done but that's the curse of government work. To become proficient in the systems and work, one may need to work here for a few years, this applies to leadership as well - in other words, new leaders or supervisors may spend a lot of time acclimating to the new roles at the cost of providing leadership in the moment.

Processes could be streamlined.

Great experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Smithsonian part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very collegial work environment with extremely smart people. Work-life balance is fantastic. The agency values learning and diversity. Benefits are also good.

Cons

Takes a long time for things to change, though I think this is true of most government agencies. Pay is not as good as private companies, but still much better than most government agencies.

Great Team; So-So position

Former Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Smithsonian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Manager was pleasant, helpful. Department, located in Natural history museum, consisted of intelligent, friendly scientists. Great coworkers; close to Metro station.

Cons

Not much room for advancement if working in administrative field.
    During summer months its hard to find a quick place to eat lunch due to the summer crowds.

15 years middle manager

Current Employee - Technical in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Technical in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Smithsonian full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunities to work on global projects and collaborate with internationally celebrated artists and scholars.
    Good benefits and some great colleagues.

Cons

senior management disconnect from reality. Serious organizational flaws. Senior level bureaucrats get promoted to positions they cannot perform. Lousy pay

Graduate Level Internship

Former Employee - Curatorial Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Curatorial Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Generally nice people to work with. Curators can often come with egos. Good collection, but not the best.

Cons

Often have to deal with bureaucracy. Change moves slow. Technological aptitude is a not very high as many employees have been there for a long time and don't learn new tech. Moral can be low due to low wages, poor advancement.

If you primarily focus on expanding/growing the art collection, the employees will be left behind and leave for different opportunities.

Fantastic but certain museums need better leadership

Current Employee - Scholarly Studies Fellow in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Scholarly Studies Fellow in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Smithsonian as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent resources, and some of the most knowledgeable and sharp scholars that exist.

Cons

A little too much red-tape and overkill with policies and procedures; I know it is intended to accurately spend donor and constituent money, but it ends up wasting enough full time employee time that it isn't worth it. Expedite processes!

Leadership, time management, and conflict resolution training should be a priority for those in charge of people. ("people" includes fellows and interns too!) Lack thereof reduces morale (Not in my position, but in the full-timers that I know)

A little boring and a lot of old male academics...

Current Employee - Anthropology Department in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anthropology Department in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Smithsonian as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was great to be able to go on tours of the collections and be around tons of intellectual powerhouses. Some of these people literally wrote the book on the discipline.

Cons

Being cooped up in an office on the top floors of the Natural History museum could get very isolating. It was also difficult to be around so many tenured members that were very much stuck in their ways of doing things. The average age of the department was over 60 and male which made it a very masculine, conservative environment to work in. Also, all the internships are unpaid.

It might have been nice for the interns to have more abilities to connect with other departments (or really for all the departments to work together more).

My experience interning at the natural history museum was good, extremely relaxed, and I had a lot of independence

Former Employee - Smithsonian in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Smithsonian in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent managers, cutting-edge research, very relaxed workplace, people who tend to be good at what they do (at least in the research department) with a lot of creative staff. A lot of museum perks - roaming around, free imax tickets.

Cons

Pay is pretty low, there isn't much guidance - at least where I was working, but that can be good too. The office we were in was pretty terrible, and the internal network (in terms of data storage and access) is pretty difficult to deal with and very disorganized.