Sobeys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin

Marc Poulin

Pros:
  • "friendly environment, flexible hours, clean"
    in 7 reviews
  • "the company has excellent health plan that not only full time but part time employees can benifit from as well"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "no employee discounts, it would be nice to have a"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Not alot of freedom, and there are some very foolish policies handed down from head office that you MUST follow(same I'm sure with plenty of places)"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people to work with, hard work appreciated.

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time for more than a year

ProsSobeys prides itself on customer service so the staff generally speaking are really nice people to work with. Management is constantly looking for ways to improve and grow. Opinions of employee's are taken under consideration and valued.

ConsMy biggest complaint with this company is their weird rule about employee's drinking water in front of customers. Some stores policies are that employee's aren't allowed to drink water on the floor at all. Other stores allow this but never in front of a customer. You can see how this could be difficult, especially during busy seasons. There are times you get no opportunity at all except during a break.

One employee was telling me that in the Bakery they aren't allowed to drink at all and at times she gets so thirsty she'll drink the yellowish water from the sink that has a sign specifically saying not to drink that water.

I've worked with Sobeys twice. Once when I was a teenager. At that store we were allowed to drink but then they changed the rule and we weren't allowed. I talked to my Doctor and he wrote me a Doctors note saying for health reasons (which I won't list here, and which he didn't list on my note) I should be allowed to drink at the Cash register. The Manager of the store and the Front End manager met with me in an office and asked me what health reasons those were. I told them. Then I was told "Doctors note, or no Doctors note, it's store policy and you're not allowed to drink water at the cash."

Being a teenager at the time I did not recognize what just happened. I was probably lied to about store policy because if it couldn't be worked with then why was I asked what my health problems were? To this day, I still suffer from the same issues and constant thirst. I try not to drink in front of customers, however I've grown up and I don't allow myself to suffer from their policy and I drink when I have to regardless if a customer is there with me. I haven't been caught doing this yet.

Sometimes we are told it's not "safe" to drink at the cash register for fear of spilling. However this issue only ever comes up if someone has been caught drinking in front of a customer. This issue also comes with a veiled threat how we are lucky to be able to drink on the floor and not all stores allow this so we have to be careful not to abuse the privilege. We also have to keep our water bottles hidden at all times. If it's all about safety then why do those other things matter? Also all the other major retailors in the area trust their employees not to be so clumsy.

I guess what this is all boiling down to, I feel Sobeys feels that the customer is more important than an employee. At somewhere down the line those in charge have got it in their heads that it's bad customer service for an employee to drink something in front of a customer. In the end, the customer comes first.

Sobeys is constantly working for better customer service. This great pro is also a con. Sometimes Sobeys will bend over backwards and take abuse from customers. I haven't experienced this myself but I've heard horror stories from other employees.

Sobeys only offers 32 hours a week at the most.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to train supervisors a little better before letting them out on the floor.

Overall good experience, worked part time during school

Produce Clerk (Former Employee)
Moncton, NB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time for less than a year

ProsWorked with great people. Hard work appreciated. Upper management was approachable, understanding, knowledgeable. Great company values. Occasional food provided such as pizza, chips, new product. Safe and comfortable working environment.

ConsSome unorganized management, the usual employee disagreements and drama. Worked most weekends. Inconsistent scheduling; short and long shifts, morning, day, evening. No procedure for day off requests. No store discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen relationships with entry level employees - recognize employee potential

Easy work

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee)
Invermere, BC (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time

ProsEasy work, always something to do

ConsVery boring, sometimes very repetitive

Sobeys

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sobeys

ProsGood first job. Learn the basics of working in a team

ConsUnorganized, do not tell you exactly what to do.

Advice to Senior Managementmore organization

Average place to work

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Sobeys part-time

Prosvery friendly working environment. offered flexible hours

Consnot much room to grow in the company

Good work environment

I have been working at Sobeys

ProsGreat place to work. People are great and always available to help. The work environment is good. This is a great place to work.

ConsI can't think of any cons. Maybe the small town where is located could be a con since there is not much to do, that would be the only con I could think of.

Best job I have ever had.

full time selector (Current Employee)
Oromocto, NB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWages are the best around for this work there's alot of people working so good chance of working with your friends. Opportunity for advancement and great benefits.

ConsLabour intensive when you first start. Management is an extreme pain to deal with. Only one shift available for the most part.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your going to push engagement and stress the fact that your trying to make our jobs better dont actively make them worse.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Front end (everything), floral, catalog

Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunities, was able to move around in different departments

Consnot paid enough to deal with old customers. not treated with respect from customers.

Adequate work environment.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Fredericton, NB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Good benefits
- Good people
- If you are willing to roll up your sleeves, you will be recognized and rewarded in time.

Cons- Conditions may depend on which store you are working in
- Management culture can seem a bit inflexible at times

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff a bit better. You don't treat them poorly, but, you don't treat them great either.

Strong Company with a Great History!

Manager (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is constantly striving to improve. The number of exciting developments even within the past year show that the company continues to push the envelope.

Other points:
- The company give career growth opportunities to employees (including myself) even when they know that the person would need to develop more in a few areas before performing at peak levels
- I work with a fun team which works towards a common goal
- Friendly, respectful atmosphere
- Strong management (within my department)
- Strong core values

Cons- Communication from managers to teams is not strong across all teams which seems to lead to situations where not all people in a meeting start with the same knowledge
- There seem to be pockets of employees that are not totally engaged which downgrades the work experience of others around them

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive in letting the world know about the great things the company has done. There are many leading edge initiatives that have been launched through the company's history that did not get "boasted" about to those that do not follow the industry.

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sobeys reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sobeys CEO Marc Poulin. All 105 reviews are posted anonymously by Sobeys employees.