Social Security Administration

www.ssa.gov

Social Security Administration Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
  • Work life balance is great if you don't care about salary(in 16 reviews)

• Benefits were great and flexible work schedule(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • 500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector(in 6 reviews)

• Promotions are hard to come by because of budget issues(in 6 reviews)

Great place to work, A relatively lowkey, low stress environment. Never take work home.

Benefit Authorizer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

Prosflexible hours, no dress code, promotion potential, good benefits, great union,

ConsBA job can be difficult, training is long.

For the most part, I like to work for this agency as it allows me to help people.

Senior Case Technician (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe flexibility, leadership, and available training's are great.

ConsThe are various cons in this agency, but growth would be the main one if you don't have connections. In spite how great employee you are, chances to be promoted are slim and none if you don't have connections.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should not be able to prevent employees from being promoted to a higher position just because they don't want to lose a certain employees, due to their excellent performance. I have been performing above and beyond management expectations, but I am having hard time to be promoted because according to my director, I am his the best employee, which he can't even imagine to lose. This is totally wrong.

Excellent Federal employer with high pay rates and room for advancement

Senior Case Technician (Former Employee) San Bernardino, CA (US)

ProsFlexiplace (their version of telecommuting), great office morale, monetary awards.

ConsDifficult to get hired unless you know someone, are related to someone or have veteran's preference.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good overtime poor work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsEasy to work overtime on weekends and also can have credit hours when you don't have enough leave for time off

ConsDealing with career government employees can be frustrating. Fixing their mistakes. also had abestos in the building

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who do the work

Just ok

Decision-writer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Prossalary and benefits were generally ok; co-workers were nice

Conswork VERY repetitive; not much work-life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on improving morale among employees

Working for the Govenrment is not all it's cracked up to ber

Attorney Advisor (Former Employee) Toledo, OH (US)

ProsStable, great benefits, easy work

ConsBoring, unfullfilling work, can be very political

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Limited upward mobility

Claims Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe job is local & excellent pay. Flexible work hours. You can start from 7-9 am and then do your 8 hrs. Small to medium size office environment. They offer "credit hours" which you can earn instead of overtime pay up to 24 hours per pay period and it can be used in lieu of your annual or sick pay.

ConsLimited promotion opportunities. If there is an opening, and if you were not already asked to apply by management or is favored by management, applying is a joke. The postings are required by law to appear impartial, but management already knows who they want to promote. Promotion openings are not true opportunities, just a formality for management to select who they want to move upward. Lots of political games and favoritism. There is no short term disability pay since short term disability taxes are not taken out of our pay so if an employee does not have enough accrued annual or sick leave, it will be unpaid leave unless others donate their time to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer promotional opportunities to other qualified candidates instead of just your "protege" or friends. The open secret promotion process is creating resentment & dissentions amongst your subordinates.

Lots of work

Claims Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat office environment, Exciting, Demanding, opportunity for advancement

ConsNot enough staff to handle wok load

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good

Senior Security Analyst (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

ProsPay is good. Below market rate. Stress is low. High job security because most people want to make more.

ConsPeople are very cliqueish and like to hook up their friends. There is a fiefdom culture here that is encouraged in all levels of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great Stable Career

Title XVI Claims Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGood benefits, plenty of training and plenty of flexibility.

ConsSome difficulty dealing with emotions experienced with disability claims. Sometimes it felt like holding people back rather than helping.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management was great. I had no complaints.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!