Sogeti

Updated 26 January 2015
Updated 26 January 2015

Sogeti Chairman & CEO Luc-François Salvador
Luc-François Salvador

Pros
  • Decent benefits (150% 401k match, 12k Tuition Reimbursment, Training Opportunites) (in 29 reviews)

• Time-off for work/life balance is one of the best I have seen (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus program seems to have taken the place of raises (in 18 reviews)

• It seems that we always talk about Solutioning and practices but end up doing staff augmentation (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company if you want to grow

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Sogeti full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are the type that places emphasis on learning and growing and being patient with your salary increases, sogeti is a good company to work for. The benefits are good - 401k match of 100% up to 6% of sal + 5 weeks vacation once u hit 7 years of experience. No insurance premiums to pay, but high deductible. HSA can help cover but deductible exceeds max allowed HSA contribution.

Cons

There will be times when you get paid less than your client peers or even direct reports at client. That can be frustrating! You will have to work with management to roadmap your salary adjustments over time. Wont happen in one shot.

Have to prove yourself by being actively involved in unit activities , proposals and certifications. 9-5 folks will find this extra work annoying and will not grow or get rewarded as much.

No bonus program is perfect, but there are instances where for the same person doing the same job with progressively greater responsibilities gets paid less bonus each year because upper management is fiddling around with the job title...this happened 4 years in a row. Similarly the main bonus program doesn't directly tie to things the consultant can control - bill rates(affects profit contribution), otace that make up big parts of the program.

Great if you want to be a consultant

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Sogeti full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, good bonus structure - there seem to be many opportunities here if you want to be in a consultant role and work in multiple places.

Cons

You are expected to sell yourself to current and potential clients, which can be tough for an IT person

Good Company To work Mixed with Politics

I have been working at Sogeti

Pros

Salary/401k/Bonus, Leave structure is good.

Cons

Politics/Lack of transparency, Units do not interface with each other.

Delivery Executive

Former Employee - Delivery Solutions for MS and MC In ITIL, AD and AS in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Sogeti full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good collaborative environment, with openess to learn through my experience

Cons

Very rigid timeline and had to work daily 16 hours for commitments without sizing efforts.

Great people, bad policies

Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Sogeti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The compensation is okay, a little below market. The 401k is fantastic. The lack of health insurance premiums is nice. Everyone I worked with was great, including the clients and management.

Cons

Company is not concerned with employees, they are just a head count (Local management is great, corporate is awful).
    The health insurance deductibles are too high (way too high).
    Training is awful, you must do all training using their programs and after business hours and you must bill 40 hours so if you want to advance you have to put in over 40 hours. Also, if you want to take any external training, you have to pay for it yourself and hope the company will compensate you for it.
    Corporate has no idea what their employees need or what they are doing, they just keep changing things "for the better" by increasing deductibles, removing benefits, removing training opportunities, and generally making processes more difficult.
    Bonus system is awful, convoluted, and don't expect your due bonus if you leave. They will actually pay you your bonus and then take it out of your bank account. In my mind, this is illegal and tantamount to stealing. This happened to me and I never gave them permission to remove funds from my bank account. If they found that they over paid me, they should have sent me an invoice with the charges that I needed to pay back, not just take the money from me. The deposit wasn't even pending anymore. They literally took money from my bank account without ever getting consent from me.

Fix your systems and processes and stop changing them. Offer better health benefits (the no premiums sounds good, but it really isn't since the deductibles and out of pocket maximums are so high). Change the bonus system to be purely individual performance based and pay your bonuses! Also, stop advertising a $20,000 bonus, that is a flat out lie. So few people ever have the opportunity to get a bonus like that. It hurts your hard workers to have them come in and think they might get a big bonus only to find out it is actually impossible for most employees (literally impossible).

A 20th Century IT Company Operating in the 21st Century

Former Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Sogeti

Pros

Great consultants who you can learn a lot from. Work life balance was good. Excellent 401K, training opportunities, and tuition reimbursement. Counselor program was a nice touch. Great job to get experience and then move on to bigger and better things.

Cons

As I said in my title, Sogeti is a 20th century IT company. They have no concept of what people want and expect from this type of workplace. They talk a great game but they are all about the bottom line. All their decisions reflect this. The bonus program is arbitrary and unless you bill at least 90% of the time on time and materials projects, it is unattainable. Comp time exists but is so difficult to get that its almost like not having it. The management and account executives seem unable to get any new interesting projects so they settle for staff augmentation and putting consultants wherever they can bill just to get ATO (at the office) numbers down. The pay is less than subpar and coming in as an entry-level hire, I probably would have been better off working in retail and biding my time for a better offer. Every college entry hire that joined in my three years left for something bigger and better.

Stop acting like you are such a great, cool, and hip company. You are a staffing company with bad management and a faulty operating model. Pay people. Stop diverting pay to 401ks and high-deductible health insurance. Having an employee appreciation week where we get some headphones doesn't make up for paying someone with a masters degree less than a Walmart manager (no offense to Walmart managers). You have some of the most talented, personable, and smartest consultants act like you want them to work for you instead of just filling a spot until they go on to something bigger and better.

Incompetent, useless senior management

Current Employee - Manager Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Sogeti

Pros

Generous with company cellular and laptop

Cons

Incompetent useless senior management failed to provide consultants with good project engagement.

Great place for consulting non-mngt professionals!

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Sogeti full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, mix breed of fortune and mid size client, flexibility, benefits, counselor program, non-management consultants, tenure

Cons

Growth into mngt, stagnant compensation, promotion and raises out of sync, politics, favoritism, words out of sync with actions, on the ground ethics low

Practice what you preach, release professionals with pride as they are your future clients

Good place to get started

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Sogeti full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's what you make of it. A lot of access to learning and many ways to get involved with the company and take initiative.

Cons

Very hard to get a bonus. The pay is below the national average for the position and does not adjust based on cost of living for each city. Each unit is different. Some units are better than others. I have found that my particular unit was not close to management.

Try to form a closer relationship with the consultants.

Knowing the trade-offs at time of hiring it can be a good place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Sogeti full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is opportunity for career advancement, and opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies. Single biggest advantage is "bench" time of receiving a paycheck between projects.

Cons

The paycheck is smaller than other companies to compensate for the cost of bench time. The structure for allocating bonus is completely screwed up. Everyone is unhappy about 2015 pay raise, or lack thereof. Moral is declining rapidly.

Think strategically, and expect to spend money in a strategic plan, rather than worrying about the short term margin.