Sonoco Products
www.sonoco.com Hartsville, SC 5000+ Employees

Sonoco Products Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Sonoco Products – Hartsville – “Sonoco Statue - People Build Businesses”

Sonoco Products Chairman, President, and CEO Harris E. DeLoach Jr.

Harris E. DeLoach Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great management, employees are empowered, very open atmosphere, fantastic people, very competitive pay"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Small town cliques within employee base"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Hartsville is a small town with very little to do outside of work"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a critique of the entire company; worked for Sonoco on-site at another company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary/benefits package was above average.

ConsMany companies have a salesperson "managing" employees. I have never understood this - being good at sales usually does not go well with being able to manage others. Only about 5% of any sales people I've dealt with have been decent managers. Plus, in this particular situation, the salesman was one of the poorest sales people I've worked had the misfortune of working "with" - poor understanding of the business and company we were associated with, worked off-site so usually MIA, condescending, untruthful (and bad at keeping track of his lies), etc. The other employees on-site were always worried about losing their jobs, and completely self-serving. Collaboration is a big buzz word - that's all it was there. Lots of lying and back-biting, in addition to purposeful non-sharing of information. No one wanted to work as a cohesive group.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales people are horrible general managers. If you have employees that are not on-site, have the managers check in with employees. It is not the employee's responsibility to initiate all contact. I was once told that if my manager hadn't heard from me, the assumption was "no news is good news." Sounds like a manager who's on top of things!

Great challenge

I have been working at Sonoco Products as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent working environment and stable company

ConsThere are no significant disadvantages

Hard working people that feel like family

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEven thought the company is large, team work and collaboration are the norm. people genuinely care about each other and the company takes good care of its own.

ConsI hadn't worked for a company the size of Sonoco before. Sometimes the bureaucratic methods are hard to work through.

asbestos infested, terrrible place to work

I have been working at Sonoco Products

Proslong lunchs, lots of breaks

Consmangaemant, pay, peoples, work environemnt

Advice to Senior Managementwake up

You can do well - for a while.

Plant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood opportunity early in your career - gives you the opportunity to build your resume which you will need when you finally realize there is a better world outside.

ConsCulture is bizarre at times - senior management says the right things- then behave exactly the opposite of what they say. God help you if you are a manager of an operation and someone gets hurt - it's as if you held the employees hand and told him to injure himself... The witch hunts are frustrating and I've seen several very good managers fired over the years for purely political reasons - people who were excellent at their jobs, but HR people didn't like them because they voiced their opinions too openly.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you phage good people working hard in your operations at all levels - and have more respect for them and what they contribute. If you want to know about a particular plant, spend more than 5 hours a year there -

A Close Knit Familiy

Line Mechanic (Former Employee)
Devens, MA (US)

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time

ProsEveryone is always willing to help each other out!
A safe working environment is extremly important to not only management but all it's employees.

ConsWork losd is controlled by one contract at our location

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways listen to questions being asked by employees and make sure you get answers!

Great Company looks positive for the future

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiversified, solid leadership and opportunity for growth

ConsI don't really have any negative things to say

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going in the direction you're going, doing a great job

Overall a good company

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Hartsville, SC (US)

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 8 years

Pros"Small town" feel as you have opportunities to get to know peers across company. Current senior leadership has an interest in the well being of employees. Opportunity to quickly get responsibilities and grow.

ConsCompany has a history of downsizing and layoffs. The soon-to-be CEO (when current one retires) is only bottom line focused with not much regard for employees. Quality in some divisions is ignored with plant managers cutting corners. Matrix structure can be very frustrating when trying to satisfy 2 managers with competing objectives. Not a lot of opportunity to advance as company had all but stopped allowing transfers to other locations. Ok opportunities for hourly/craft personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees.

High Burnout

Production (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits good, high quality employees, people that care about doing a good job. Corporate culture is positive and some very good production environments exist in other geographic areas so it can be done.

Consexpect to give up either sleep or a family life. Unreasonable hours due to poor workforce mgmt - exempt lower level work excessive hours week after week without appreciation, compensation, or comp time. Time off is taken away with no notice or care People are so burnt out that it is impacting plant safety. Harassment is swept under the rug. Management refuses to address the issues because they themselves aren't impacted.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that people won't continue to give without getting something in return. Excessive hours lead to safety violations and turnover. Harassment should never be tolerated.. Audit plants to make sure they are following company culture of making Sunoco a good place to work and advance. Make it a company policy people are treated well.

Losing it

Technical Manager (Former Employee)
Hartsville, SC (US)

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTypically top player in their market

ConsCan not compete in a competitive market

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are cutting cost at the expense of not providing service to customer

Worked for Sonoco Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sonoco Products reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sonoco Products CEO Harris E. DeLoach Jr.. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Sonoco Products employees.