Sonoco Products

www.sonoco.com

Sonoco Products Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Sonoco Products – Hartsville – “Sonoco Statue - People Build Businesses”

Sonoco Products – Hartsville – “Sonoco Statue - People Build Businesses”

M. Jack Sanders

Pros
  • Sonoco offers many positives which include opportunities for advancement, access to senior management, and good pay for the area (in 6 reviews)

• Great management, employees are empowered, very open atmosphere, fantastic people, very competitive pay (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town cliques within employee base (in 5 reviews)

• Very disrespectful to upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience for me. Have to be willing to go, do, learn, risk.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIn operations, you have great opportunities to learn multiple facets of management and technology. Wear many hats. Have to focus, prioritize. Learn to juggle.

ConsSame as the pros if the challenge is not to your liking.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot enough appreciation for the field. Co is at risk of freezing up decision making at the lowest level because of too constant micro managing.

Awful. Simply awful. The kicker is it doesn't have to be this way.

Technician (Current Employee) Canton, OH (US)

ProsPay is above average. Great if you enjoy a lot of overtime hours. Safety is important to the company.

ConsIn a single word. Management. I have a very hard time believing and trusting just about anything I hear from upper management down to plant level management. Loads of overtime and bosses who seem to enjoy issuing write ups and punishment for minor infractions and some cases no infraction at all other than filling a quota. I regret every day of my life i spend in this place. Yes I know then find a new job. I'm working on it...

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce overtime. You're killing us. If safety is so important why am I and my do workers working 7 days a week with 12s peppered in? Hire competent managers and supervisors. Have some sort of system for raises. More transparency. Everything is a big secret that "came from corporate".

Good Internship

Student Intern (Former Employee)

ProsI had a great work environment for my first engineering related work experience. I was able to work directly with the scientists and felt like part of the team.

ConsSometimes there wasn't much work for the interns to do which resulted in slow work days. Not as high paying as similar engineering internships.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crappy place to work for the most part

Press Operator (Current Employee) Franklin, OH (US)

ProsGood benefits and good pay. People I work with are pretty friendly, Practice safety and really seem to follow through when you come up with ways to do it better.

ConsThis place has no culture or morality policies. The supervisor's are two faced and there always seems to be some drama going on, mainly started by the supervisors who talk about things they shouldn't be talking about to other employees about other peoples situations. Very disrespectful to upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart doing your job, deal with things you know are happening.

Underbid, Lie, Stall and in the end never deliver

ProsGood opportunity early in your career - but once you have started to learn the difference between wrong (Sonoco way) and right - you will find it is time to move on.

ConsFrom day one - Sonoco sets its employees up to fail. They won a contract at a large CPG company by underbidding the competition - knowing full well that they could not deliver on what that contract without hiring additional staff to service this major account. This never happened, so the entire time the management is saying - yes we can deliver X on that schedule, they know it is impossible.

When that rubber meets the road and the client calls them on their inability to deliver on time on budget - those same senior managers take responsibility for the issue and simply hang the lower level employees out to dry

Advice to Senior ManagementStart being honest with your clients - and spend what it takes to hire enough people to do the job properly.

Good job, good pay, without college degree

Machine Operator (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN (US)

ProsReally enjoyed the team aspect of working here. Good vacation and insurance. Very good pay for employees compared to other companies in the area.

ConsSame thing every day. Everything based on efficiency, no room to think. Management always needing the "numbers" to improve. Nothing wrong with that, just not very fulfilling as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as more than just a number.

Good

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGood training and leadership developement

ConsThe work hours are excessive 12-14 hour days in busy season

A truly great company to work for if you enjoy getting rewarded for hard work.

Logistics Professional (Current Employee) Hartsville, SC (US)

ProsAn excellent company to work for if you have any interest in Manufacturing, IT, or logistics.

ConsI would definitely prefer a better location for their headquarters.

Manager

ProsFlexible place to work as the Operation Manager is not on site all the time and when they are Corporate has them in so many calls and meeting they truly can not focus on managing their staff or plant. Any member of our staff can fly below the radar and get by doing very little with no true accountability for it. If someone is looking for a place to slide by, then they should look into working at the Portland facility.

ConsMinimal pay for the hours that you put in as a staff. Benefits are middle of the road at best. Leadership at the plant levels, in Portland anyway, are a joke at best. Favoritism, Sexism, Racism are then norm. Old school they say, you bet! One day our team is going one way, the next, in another direction. Just seems like little to no business plan as long as we hit the numbers. Oh and safety it is important but when incidents do occur be ready for pressure to be applied to cover it up or make sure it wasn't work related.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore like advice to Corporate here: get some help into the Portland facility to dig into what is truly going on there. Talk to former employes at both the hourly and salary levels. Do a deep dive as it is not going to be an easy task finding out what is going on and people that will talk. Still willing to give Sonoco a chance, however way too much of the former companies mentality at this facility.

Stepford wives club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSonoco has lots of cash and spends capital appropriately. Upper management is very good at financial management.

ConsMiddle management is very insecure based on lots of change and uses politics to position and insulate themselves out of fear. Business skills are not really valued unless you're one of the boys. Hartsville is bad place.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to understand what's really happening in your business and how talent is being disenfranchised. Your one size fits all talent assessment model is EEO friendly but not serving you well.

Worked for Sonoco Products? Contribute to the Community!