Sony Online Entertainment

Updated 22 September 2014
2.6

Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley
John Smedley

Pros
  • It's game development, so that's always a little more fun and laid back than other companies (in 7 reviews)

• At least it's a fairly stable job that allows you to enjoy living in San Diego (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too far removed from the actual development process to understand its huge flaws (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management had no idea who you work (workflow) or some of the abuse you put up with dealing with customers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Support Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, excellent review system during first 3 months

Cons

Got laid off, but kind of the nature of the beast working as a contractor.

Have more people like Jeff Bard

Good.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good work hours.
    Reasonable connection with community.

Cons

Couldn't stay for longer. Minor disagreement with higher-ups.

Look into the trenches more.

A good place to start

Former Employee - QA Tester  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - QA Tester in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

You are well-treated. Even as a contingent tester, you are invited to go to all the special outings with the team, and are fed during crunch time, and are even given one-on-ones with your supervisors. Additionally, it's a good way to get noticed by higher ups and move your way up the ranks.

Cons

The pay is not great. And sometimes it seems harder than it should be to get hired on from being a contingent employee, even if your work is outstanding. This has more to do with budgeting than anything else, but it is nonetheless a detriment.

Also, get ready for A LOT of crunch time, as is standard in this industry.

Keep your employees more well-informed. Feeling more connected encourages communication, which fosters good workflow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great people, horrible middle management

Former Employee - Game Master (Graveyard Shift)  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Game Master (Graveyard Shift) in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

this could be a great place to work if you are an excellent networker.

Cons

do not start in qa/cs these jobs go nowhere.

Great People, Great Games

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment for more than 8 years

Pros

The people here are creative and excellent to work with. I loved my time there and would work there again if I were not in the wrong city. I felt that I was able to move up the ladder at SOE. Passion and drive are not frowned upon (at least not by the people I worked with). The upcoming games look excellent and I think only the sky is the limit for the company.

Cons

Sometimes the overall strategy can take a 2nd place to last minute ideas and changes that should be given more time to percolate. They have made some awful mistakes int he past, but I honestly believe they have learned from them and are on a better footing for the future than they were in the past.

worked on the web design team

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

really great benefits, medical etc. that also included things such as free life drawing classes for artists. Really fun projects and titles to work with. Got to work with other talented artists and devs. The web design management team at the time was supportive and not political at all. I'm not sure that I can say that about other departments.

Cons

the design team needed more power to run their department and sometimes marketing would be allowed to run design projects badly. On my way out though it looked like this was less and less the case.

They were a little slow to embrace changing web technology and we would still get hampered by having to do things like make sure all projects worked in IE6 and this was in 2008.

They definitely need to trim their losing titles and get some better products out.

Definitely bureaucratic at times.

don't let bad management stay too long. All in all though great people, great work, great resources and a talented team. I did see some promising titles just sink after a lot of hard work.

Employees are NOT NPCs!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at SOE are so creative. Working with the game designers and the artists was quite a kick.

Cons

The team I worked on pretty much ran on long hours, insane deadlines, and incompetent incomprehensible management. The throw the phrase "crunch time" around like it's breakfast cereal, then take off on their own multi-week vacations.

Hire some? Consider replacing most of your directors and all of your VPs with someone who actually knows and/or cares that SOE is a BUSINESS.

Okay start, but don't stick around

Current Employee - Game Designer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Game Designer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's pretty easy to get an entry level job
    You have a decent chance of getting an apprenticeship for code/design/art/sound
    It's pretty laid back

Cons

Management has absolutely no clue who's good and who's bad
    Takes forever to get promoted, if you do
    Nepotism rules all, so playing politics is better than being good at your job
    Be ready to be micromanaged to the teeth

Find some way to figure out how to judge your employees properly. Nobody likes to see someone with less experience and less talent get promoted while they are stuck stagnant because someone doesn't like them for whatever reason.

Remove the nepotism and judge based on performance.

Good start, but probably nowhere you'd want to stay.

Current Employee - QA Tester  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Tester in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time

Pros

SOE is a good start to the gaming industry through their internship programs. They also seem to keep their contract workers and hire them on full-time. They provide decent project completion bonuses for the big ones, and direct management cares about their workers.

Cons

Certain pet projects of upper management wind up having fairly significant changes demanded left and right - even on a friday afternoon the weekend before a beta launch. There seems to be a consensus among some employees that upper management makes very questionable decisions, particularly in regards to priorities. Too often, there would be a demand for a feature that imposed significant code change which would put the project months off schedule, and yet we'd be expected to somehow keep the schedule regardless.

Make the marketing department talk to developers and qa before they announce upcoming features and release dates. Some features they think aren't much require significant code change and provide a long stressful hassle for the development and qa teams that could be avoided, or at least improved, by better communication.

A great company to work for and great mentors

Former Employee - Environment Artist  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, it is a very friendly environment to experience the life of a game artist. The people you work for and with are fun to be around and you can tell they love what they do. It is an all around creative environment where any kind of game artist can be inspired and learn important industry skills.

Cons

Hardly any cons. Sometimes the break room was out of a particular kind of tea or coffee, but this is bad only if you're picky.

Keep doing what you are doing. Whatever it is it seems to be working.

Sony Online Entertainment Photos

View of the Sony Online Entertainment headquarter office located in San Diego, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.180)
SOE Lobby

+ Add Photo

Worked for Sony Online Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!