Sony Online Entertainment

Updated 22 February 2015
2.6

Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley
John Smedley

Pros
  • It's game development, so that's always a little more fun and laid back than other companies (in 7 reviews)

• At least it's a fairly stable job that allows you to enjoy living in San Diego (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too far removed from the actual development process to understand its huge flaws (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management had no idea who you work (workflow) or some of the abuse you put up with dealing with customers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Artist Intern

Former Intern - Internship in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Internship in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had great colleagues, wonderful sense of community amongst junior + senior level artists, pretty nice physical environment.

Cons

The upper level management gets political and managers seem to sit around at times. There seems to be a lack of mobility (from my point of view), always had work assigned like trying to keep us busy, even though at times the work seems trivial. .

Inform employees more about what's going on in the company and not just treat artists as a separate entity from management and the corporate world.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Game Designer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Game Designer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management really cares about the employees. Lots of talented developers. You can get exposure to many different areas of the business if you put some time into it. Strong history of promoting from within.

Cons

Company often over-reaches on the number of projects in development at a time, or under-values the specialized knowledge and skills required to succeed in new areas. Doesn't leverage the inherent strengths of their tech and platform to make easier wins.

SOE gave me a shot with no experience and promoted me through six positions in five years!

Former Employee - Game Designer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Game Designer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was great Upward Mobility, the Benefits were the best in the business, upper management is very Friendly.

Cons

Compensation is fairly low for the industry but not the worst esp in Austin.
    Company just changed hands so there are some uncharted roads ahead.

Good People, Long Hours, Decent Work

Current Employee - QA Tester in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people who are very passionate, close-knit groups, and generally willing to share information within the company if asked.

Cons

Long hours, upper management can seem out of touch, scheduling can be a mess.

Try to avoid last-minute scheduling that results in calling people in only to find they can't do their job because they're waiting on other teams that aren't coming in that day.

Good people, poor management, terrible decisions

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There some pros to this company
    Most employees are very nice
    You don't have to dress up to work
    It's a game company

Cons

While there are a few pros there are quite some cons

Expect to be overworked
    Most people (while nice) have no idea what they are doing
    Upper management and the CEO are all part of the same "boys club" and they will protect themselves above anything else
    Lack of focus in production phase: teams will change priorities week in and week out, causing unfinished and broken features

To Columbus Nova. Even though I just been laid off this is not s review made to be vengeful. This is my honest opinion. While I agree with some of the layoffs decisions if you looked hard enough you will see that Smedley and all his little buddies are the one that survived while adding no value to the company.

SOE-now Daybreak Games

Current Contractor - QA Tester in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - QA Tester in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

San Diego is a great city. Many times there was very little work so we just browsed the web or did whatever. The work is usually pretty easy and the environment was pretty relaxed. They did have great people working for them and I was lucky to learn from them.

Cons

Most employees are temps, even after years of working there. Salaries are way below industry standards. There is no job security. I was laid off twice in 3 years. Management is really bad and mostly apathetic. You are encouraged to "stay in your place." There is almost no chance for advancement. The game ideas and general direction of the company were decided by incompetent fools, at best.

They need management to be people who actually know and care about video games. All of marketing is terrible. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They don't know the products and their target market. Most of their marketing stunts are total failures and quite embarrassing to the rest of the company.

Great work environment; no room for advancement

Current Employee - QA Tester in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment is incredibly friendly

Cons

No room for growth within the company
    Pay is very poor
    Very top heavy

Hearing that I'll never get a pay increase in my first week is very rough to hear.

Nice People Who Are Too Accepting Of Mediocrity And Nepotism

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The expectations are very low and you'll often be play testing games. Most people are very nice.

Cons

Game team leadership has an abundance of arrogance and elitism.
    Game teams hire their friends and ignore talent from other departments.
    Compensation is well below market.
    No stock options or grants.
    No opportunity for advancement (no one is let go for poor performance).
    It's easy to pick up bad habits as management resists change.
    With little to no coding standards, the game code is a mess.
    The company is continuing to downsize as players leave EQ and EQII.
    Significant use of contractors.

Eliminate under performers and promote those who excel.
    Develop a company wide coding standard and enforce it.
    Bring back the internship program, particularly for designers and developers.
    Stop over promising to customers.
    Substantially raise hiring standards and compensation.

unstable

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment

Pros

huge profits flowing in from the robust online gaming community. enthusiastic teams that enjoyed both developing as well as playing the games with the community.

Cons

there is an insider's club of the original founders and development team that receive funding and support for their projects even past the viability of the game.

consider spending more on organizational development and team building between the development teams and the headquarter support functions

Sony Online Entertainment Photos

View of the Sony Online Entertainment headquarter office located in San Diego, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.180)
SOE Lobby