Southern California Edison

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros:
  • "Benefits are fairly good, work/life balance is manageable, meet a lot of good people"
    in 30 reviews
  • "This company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Not a great environment from upper/senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Different place to work these days

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary and benefits are among the best

ConsReductions in force leave you wondering who is next

Arcane/Inappropriate/Inequitable/Impractical IT Employment Practices

Cybersecurity Specialist (Current Employee)
Baldwin Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat resources enable many opportunities. Other than how I was treated after the hire of new management that blatantly favored "their own" employees, SCE allowed me to make unprecedented breakthroughs in my line of work that are widely recognized by cybersecurity professionals, worldwide and for which opportunities I shall be eternally grateful. Unfortunately, executive management is so detached from any perception of key IT practices that they have little notion of proper IT management methods and no one in a subordinate position are incentivized to point out problems. The recent (since the deadly 2012 shootings at the IT facility) Executive Open Forums and similar initiatives may create a communications bridge between staff and management that should eventually reap positive results, particularly for IT.

ConsExtraordinarily prone to cliquish management styles leading to crass favoritism and subsequent punishment of the unfavored. E.g., Several "Chairmen's Award" recipients violate company stated values of behavior completely beyond the view of executive management. Current practices do not acknowledge to possibility of, let alone detect nor deter, sociopathic personalities.

Executive management perceives IT specialists as interchangeable with other non-IT roles. E.g., the stated policy for advancement has employees transferring to unrelated departments (i.e., utility industry 100 year traditional pre-IT "cross training" model) while IT specialists' career paths would not have them transferring even within IT.

Executive management perceives IT specialists as commodities and have no awareness of any extraordinary employee accomplishments unless the employee is "favored" by middle management which typically doesn't happen, as lower management levels fear being outshined by subordinates.

Advice to Senior ManagementExposing Chairmen's Award candidates to anonymous line employee vetting/comments may enhance the program's legitimacy and value. Allow only one employee comment per candidate to avoid negative "bombing."

Immediately invoke a program that encourages, recognizes and rewards "IT industry leadership" behavior, especially when recognized by non-company IT industry entities (contractors, vendors, industry groups, etc.,). Implement an IT advancement program that takes into consideration typical IT career development and paths as separate from "traditional" back office and field occupations. (Hint: There are reasons people go from the field into IT, but usually, not the other direction.)

Involve third party HR analysts to annually review IT staff accomplishments to ensure equanimity within IT to discern practices of favoritism. Use as a success metric whether the program reveals tendencies toward favoritism.

Changing the general "It is what it is." defeatist approach to IT management to a proactive "It shall be as it should be." attitude toward IT development and implementation will go far toward reversing the chronic trend toward devolving, ineffective, IT capabilities. Eliminating quid pro quo modes of decision making that seems endemic to public and semi-public organizations should be addressed.

Southern California Utility (SCE)

Project Analyst (Former Employee)
Irwindale, CA (US)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis company offers good benefits and some longevity if in the right department. There are plenty of knowledgeable employees who are willing to share information.

ConsThis company has been going through massive layoffs for the past 18 months and plans to layoff more employees in 2014. Be careful when applying for position, especially in the customer service unit. Also, excessive nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional in-depth human resources training is critical, especially with regard to labor laws and employee relations issues. If the training is comprehensive and Enforced this will certainly uplift moral and foster trust between employees and management.

Good place to start a career, a bad place to stay and grow.

Financial Analyst I (Former Employee)
Pomona, CA (US)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are fairly good, work/life balance is manageable, meet a lot of good people. A good stepping stone of a place to start a career.

ConsTerrible company culture. You only get promoted if management has an incentive. My direct managers were micromanages, arrogant, and rude. They only kept promoting the same people every year behind the scenes without even announcing to anyone in the group. During the mass layoff period in 2013 many bad "managers" unfortunately were able to maintain their jobs when they should have been shown the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let incompetent people manage professionals. Just because someone is due for a promotion don't force them into a managerial role if they have no management skills.

It was a great job while it lasted

Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee)
San Clemente, CA (US)

ProsGood Salary
Great People
Good Benefits
The location was great and I very rarely hit any traffic
Many Job Opportunities

ConsOn June 7, 2013 Our corporate Management made a decision to shut down San Onofre. The power plant is now in the process of decommissioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe part of the workforce

No more long term CWA

TSP4 (Former Employee)
Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsGreat opportunities for career growth

ConsSaid they were going to hire me on fulltime and took so long they were in a hiring freeze

SCE needs to do some soul searching

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEmployees are generally well paid and benefits are decent.

ConsApply your "values" and "code of conduct" equally. Favorite employees and ones that are related to management or who are in relationships with decision-makers should not be exempted. This is the perfect plan to lose credibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice to management, the IMT report published on May 2012 contains all the steps that SCE needs to improve itself. This was done after the Rivergrade 2011 shooting. Telling employees that improvements will be made means nothing if there are no consistent action following that. Former employees should leave SCE feeling proud that they have contributed to this once "awesome" company. Those days are long gone, now they leave frustrated and resentful.

New College Grads DO NOT wok here. Toxic, bullying environment. Senior Management is political and full of favoritism.

Energy Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
Rosemead, CA (US)

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary and benefits are good.

ConsDo NOT work in Energy Supply & Marketing. Stay away from the Energy Contracts group as our new Director that came in after the reorganization is very political and promotes his 'boys and girls' and your performance is irrelevant. You will not like working here unless you kiss his ass and all his people's asses. All the recent college grads finished their rotation and left after 1-2 years. Do not even waste your time at this company as it is a unhealthy work environment where politics decide your fate. I am leaving this crappy company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are arrogant! Run it like a business and not a political chop shop where performance reviews are based on how well you suck up. Clean up the politics by starting with the Director I listed above or watch all your best people leave. Duh your so arrogant do you really care anyways?

Going in the wrong direction.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay, benefits, and work-life balance..

ConsPoor senior management. New leadership cleaned house taking out talented and intelligent leaders and replace them with novice puppets because they could pay them less and provide less benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and not just the ones that are your long time buddies or come with a lower price tag.

A company that values their employees.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits, great people to work with

ConsVery political, upper management only keep their favorites

Worked for Southern California Edison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southern California Edison reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Southern California Edison CEO Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger. All 286 reviews are posted anonymously by Southern California Edison employees.