Southern California Edison

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros
  • Company has great work-life balance, usually many opportunities to volunteer (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent pay, great benefits, professional development opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard work is not rewarded but if you are buddies with Senior Management you are set maybe (in 14 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company to work for!!

Office Assistant II (Former Employee) San Clemente, CA (US)

ProsI was blessed to work for SCE for over 6 years at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station. Edison provides excellent health insurance benefits, 401k and pension, paid sick time and generous paid vacation, all major holidays off with pay, including the Friday after Thanksgiving! How many companies do that?! I loved the 4-10 schedule, the all-inclusive environment, the ongoing training and self-improvement opportunities, and many other perks too numerous to mention. I would still be there if they hadn't closed San Onofre. Even when I lost my job they were generous and gave me a severance package and extended health insurance coverage. I can say with all honesty that it was the best job I have ever had!!

ConsSome of upper management liked to micromanage, and they took safety to the extreme. For example, a couple of employees tripped and fell while talking on their cell phones, so the entire plant population was forbidden from walking while using their cell phones! Also, minor injuries were blown completely out of proportion; i.e., several employees were stung by bees and were basically told that they could have somehow prevented it. Not!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage; don't punish everyone for the mistakes of a few. Focus on building up your employees and they will reward you with loyalty and excellence. You have been given the responsibility and honor of carrying this historic company into the future - be worthy of that legacy.

Everything has been going well.

Intern (Current Employee) Rosemead, CA (US)

ProsMany branches spread throughout Southern California provide plenty of opportunities in various locations. The salary is excellent (as are the benefits) and org units really tend to work well together and have good rapport with one another. The company instills a great culture of safety, and the work-life balance is fair.

ConsAn IT department was recently outsourced, which leads to concerns over job stability for others.

System analyst 4

Prosgood compensation, people, work and industry

Consmanaged service will take over IT

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SCE work review

Storage Engineer III (Former Employee) Rosemead, CA (US)

ProsSCE was a great place to work. the culture leadership and environment.t was excellent

ConsThe only cons was the IT Position been outsourced but the environment was great

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Excellent career experience

Project Manager (Former Employee) Rosemead, CA (US)

ProsGained knowledge and expertise during 15-year career with Southern California Edison

ConsUnfortunately my employment was severed along with several others during company realignment

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch company and industry expertise was eliminated. Please consider re-hiring some of this great talent you helped train and cultivate.

Nada

ProsGreat if you like outsourcing your job

Consthey like to outsource your job

Excellent work environment but totally incompetent management in all levels of IT

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Rosemead, CA (US)

ProsState of the art technology, no stress, reasonable benefits. The motto in IT was, "we spend money to make money"

ConsUnbelievably incompetent management in IT. Comparable only to Nuclear Technology management which managed to destroy a fully functional nuclear power station. Sycophancy, nepotism and plain corruption present at all management levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management are beyond help. Hopefully the Regulators will wake up one day and audit this den of thieves.

Great Pay, but Stuck in the Stone Ages.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Irwindale, CA (US)

ProsYes, all the reviews are correct. The pay is great , benefits, and there are opportunities for training and affinity groups . This place is good if you're an intern, or ready to retire , not if you're trying to expand your career .

ConsEVERYTHING moves slow, from processes to technology . There isn't much room for creativity and innovation since everything is defined by a set process. The IT department laid off 600 people as a result of the transition to managed services this month. Rumor has it that SCE as a whole will continue with lay offs in 2015.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out if the stone ages!!! The world of technology is changing fast and we need to catch up . If not, we're going to get crushed

SCE/ Good paying job/benefits

Meter Reader (Current Employee) San Jacinto, CA (US)

ProsPAY AND BENEFITS Only some good people working there to become friends with but very few

ConsTo many managers/ They stress safety to much so employees don't want to report any injuries. If they do they get scolded and less $ for your bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

Mixed, lately cons outweight the pros

Project Manager (Current Employee) Rosemead, CA (US)

ProsAwesome benefits, flexible work schedules. The company is spending a lot of efforts on management training and supports development and training

ConsThe company is going thru business transformation as management is trying to counteract business pressures from alternative energy sources leading to loss of customer base and pressures to re-engineer the grid to allow electricity to flow both ways ... generating plant sending electricity thru the grid to customers and now customers supplying electricity back to the grid. Business Units are looking to restructure operations and are pursuing outsourcing strategies displacing long and dedicated US workforce with off-shore opportunities to cut costs. Most long term employees have entitlement attitudes and management encourages employees to challenge management creating often difficulties for managers that came from outside to make lasting changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith push to move the company to increase profitability.... consider polling employees if they would consider salary and benefit cuts over outsourcing strategies.

Worked for Southern California Edison? Contribute to the Community!