Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money(in 5 reviews)

• Your communication skills increase dramatically(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions(in 19 reviews)

• Commission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day(in 14 reviews)

Hardest but absolutely the BEST thing I could've done for myself.

Independent Contractor (Former Employee) Grove City, OH (US)

ProsIncredibly hard working, motivated, and positive co-workers and management. Incredible sales experience. Sell 3 months out of the year, recruit and train the remaining 9. Consistent and daily support and coaching. Move as a group.

ConsMust make a large sum of money to profit and sustain you for the remainder of the 9 months you are not being paid. Cold calling for 14 hours a day can be difficult.

Real Deal about Southwestern Advantage

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYour communication skills will enhance incredibly, your network with other people will grow, your resume will improve and you'll stand out amongst your peers

ConsIt will be very challenging for you, travel away from friends and family during the summer

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly recruit someone if you truly believe that they will do well. The more honest you are on the front end the easier it will be to train someone for success in the program.

Be Ready to Work... A lot

Student Dealer/Direct Sales (Current Employee)

ProsOverall, it was a good experience. I learned a lot and finished as a top first year employee and even got the President's Club award.
    You have the opportunity to make a lot of money.
    It looks great on your resume.
    All expenses paid vacation for top performers.
    Got a lot of job offers from sister companies after I graduated college, but I didn't want to make a career in this type of environment.

Cons100+ hour work week if you want to be successful.
    Cult-like company culture (But a lot of good people).
    A lot of employers have never heard of the company, so you need to spend a lot of time explaining it on future interviews.
    The exaggerate how good their company looks on a resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management does a good job at training and keeping employees motivated. They just need to better explain that the job is very difficult and go into more detail on the day-to-day before hiring people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I will give you words of encouragement.

Book Slinger (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros- I made over 45,000 dollars gross, and 20,000 net in the entire 3 summers that I worked with Southwestern.
    - You get the right foundation of sales experience before you graduate, hence learn how to be a professional at a very young age.
    - Your communication skills increase dramatically. This is overlooked by almost everyone who work there.

Perspective as a (now) recruitment consultant:
    - you are set apart by other candidates because it shows that you are ambitious, a risk taker, and an effective communicator.
    - You are able to demonstrate innate ability and knowledge of sales, meeting KPIs, and business development.
    - Your student/sales manager will always provide a positive reference as long as you finish the summer.
    - Looks good on your resume in ANY discipline/industry.

Hardcore Truth about business:
    Southwestern WILL sugarcoat A LOT to recruit you. DO NOT take offense to this because at the end of the day they are trying to proactively recruit young, motivated students to put money into their own pockets, but at the same time provide an opportunity for you.
    This program is a "BUSINESS BOOT CAMP." You work extremely, incredibly hard but you will mature above and beyond your other peers. I can promise you that. If you have breezed through life without any worries about the future then I forbid you to sell books.

ConsThere has been enough cons on this website already, but the biggest red flag at the company has been their recruitment strategies.

Managers: Please stop sugarcoating information to prospective students - you're doing an incredible disservice to yourself and piling up on the already bad reputation that we have on most campuses. Most of the time you don't actually have faith in your own rookies so why in the world did you recruit them. Quality vs quantity please.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo NOT stick around with Southwestern for more than 1 year after you've graduated. This will work against you because companies will not acknowledge b2c as professional experience. You will still most likely work as a junior sales person and never move into management position at any companies simply because SW is b2c. Please keep in mind and don't let your ASL or DSMs convince you to stick around for a long time.

I learned more with Southwestern than I did in college.

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

Pros-Earn what your worth
    -awesome incentive trips
    -great people and leaders
    -opportunity for promotion
    -real-world experience while your in college
    -opportunity to work a lot of hours

Cons-Away for the summer
    -No guarantees

Advice to Senior ManagementSouthwestern isn't for everyone and the management thinks the students should do it all the way through college and beyond. I honestly believe that every student in college with a good work ethic and drive wouldn't be able to spend their summer in a better way, however I don't believe it is a 4 year program for everyone.

Best College Experience in the United States!

Field Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsWorld-class sales and management training. Phenomenal mentors. Incredible opportunity to develop skills, habits and attitudes that opened many doors after leaving Southwestern!

ConsHard work. Sacrifice summers. Freedom and flexibility to determine own schedule. Requires an individual to continually test mental and emotional boundaries and step outside comfort zone.

Opportunity mixed with difficulty

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Westfield, NJ (US)

ProsLearning practical strategies for discipline is fantastic, the communication coaching and experience is vital for success post-graduation. Real-life expectations, no babying, no guarantees and no limits. Learning how to overcome problems and maintain a positive attitude. Developing leadership skills. Amazing experience to put on a resume, though I don't intend to work for anyone else ever. This company started me on the entrepreneurial path to success and the principles I learned here will stick with me for the rest of my life. The senior management invests a ton of emotional energy in each student who works there and they have helped me to define a purpose for my life, set goals to get there and break those goals down into action steps. Plus I get free career counseling for life. I can only imagine where I would be if I had not made the decision to take a huge risk and go work HARD not at a job, but on myself.

ConsNegative perception of MLM companies by some people in society.
    Takes a lot of pain to grow.
    I have worked every summer, though that is hardly a con, since otherwise I would've wasted them hanging out with friends and not growing.
    Money is not guaranteed, you earn what you're worth.
    Raised expectations of my potential make every other job seem quite pale in comparison. (Hard to go back to a Mitsubishi after you've driven a Cadillac.)
    This job is NOT easy. If you are not willing to work hard and grow, you will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementI respect and admire you all so much. Thank you for doing what you do and for helping young students like me to grow and develop our potential. I know of many students who say their lives were changed through this program.

best sales experience while in college

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslearn to work hard
    self motivation
    prospecting
    approaching
    sales cycle
    build own client base
    learn how to take rejection in sales

Consmust be willing to work hard to get results!

This experience changed my life-seriously

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsI interned with this company for two years in college and worked for them full-time for an additional two years. I could go on for days about the amount of growth you receive from this experience-both personally and professionally. It is a challenging work environment that helps you to exemplify your true work ethic to future employers through the experience you're able to put on your résumé. You also receive hours of thorough sales and management training that makes you more knowledgeable than most sales people with 15 years of experience. You develop an international network, travel the country and the world, and are lead by mangers who truly care about your goals, growth, and success.

ConsAs for the summer internship, it is the single best opportunity for motivated college students. It is work-based, so if you work harder than everyone else at your current waitressing job, you will most definitely excel at this if you apply the same work ethic.
    The only "con" I experienced was that as a Corporate Recruiter, I struggled to maintain a good work-life balance and felt the need to constantly work around the clock. Other than that, yes it is a very challenging work environment but that is where the growth comes from. If work was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be called work!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep continuing to grow and adapt to the changing times!
    Listen to your ASLs, FSLs, and CRs for valuable feedback! "Times" are not the same as they were "back in the day" when the DSMs were selling.

Could not have challenged myself more or put myself in the company of greater people. Game Changer.

Student Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsExtensive and continuous personal growth and improvement.
    Build a deep foundation of skills and character
    Supportive and encouraging environment of coworkers so will challenge and encourage you
    Great opportunity for financial gain

ConsVery challenging and truly requires exceptional work and commitment
    Not glamorous
    Requires moving to a different state for the summer (negative for some)
    Not conducive for maintaining romantic relationships without much sacrifice and understanding

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your employees, they are the future makers of America

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!