Spansion
www.spansion.com Sunnyvale, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Spansion Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Spansion – Austin – “Spansion B4”

Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert

John H. Kispert

Pros:
  • "Also, there was a good work life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs"
    in 5 reviews
  • "no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you can make your manager happy, you get promoted quickly and paid well.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are very nice here.
Pay is good for Sr. level and above.

ConsStressful, no work life balance. A lot of politics. CEO seems don't care about his employees, too many cuts. High turn-over.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are the most valuable assets of a company. That's the reason why a lot of startups do well at the begining, then fall apart when the top management gets greedier and greddier.

Fantastic for very many years but too many layoffs

Module Shift Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Spansion full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are. Mature systems in a mature fab and everything is in full production mode. Lots of very intelligent, creative engineering talent here. Everybody there knows their job and do it exceptionally well. CEO did a remarkable job post bankruptcy especially keeping the company profitable.

ConsEcho what somebody else said about little to no opportunities for growth in management specifically. Every upper level manager has been there for several years making it difficult for anybody to take those positions. Aging work force although not sure if that's a bad thing. Bonuses were an interesting exercise in futility. There didn't seem to be much visibility to what exactly needed to be done to get them. Forced distribution for employee ranking (quarterly and annually), while a common thing for most companies, didn't make much sense for a company that already had an extremely lean work force. They've gutted so many employees that most of the "low performers" were really average performers that just got screwed by the idea that a company has to have 10-15% of the employees be ranked into the lowest performance tier.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the forced distribution. There's not much point in gutting the company any more. Bring in and mentor younger talent.

Great until the Chapter 11

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood salary, CEO is excellent

Conshard to lose so many friends

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the people side of things - new products are cool, but they are made by your people

Have made too many cuts.

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat, employees, technology and business strategy. Recent Fujitsu acquisition will extend life of Fab, increase revenue and expand product portfolio.

ConsVery low on employees, limited career opportunities, very little L&D outside of the Fab. Mid level management does not seem to be focused on the long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employees

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Spansion

ProsGood salary , Everyone is nice , Not much pressure.

ConsNo passion to work in such place, can not growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider have more training or technical forum to engineer.
Face to face communication with engineers.

New Grad only!!!!

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people to work with. Not much of red tapes.

ConsToo many VPs doing who knows what and getting all the credits Too many fires to put off. No promotions or career opportunities. Laying off senior people to hire cheap labor seems to be the trend of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a different job!!! Micro managers not leaders.

Laid back... high attrition

Product Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion full-time

ProsVery laid back. Salary is par with industry. My manager sincerely values my skills and makes an effort to promote my career growth.

ConsThe employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs. Which is one of the main reasons for the high attrition rate.

Politics is also rampant as you go higher up in the ranks.

Cafeteria is dead, building is old, IT infrastructure and systems are vintage.

Pay is good but management is falling apart

Technical Support Analyst - I (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay makes it work going to work, the people that work with you and in the FAB are friendly enough. The career options are great if you stick around long enough. Some of the employees have been here 30 years, and if you want it bad enough you can get to where you would like to go.

ConsEveryone is just friendly, no one speaks too much, they act like ther're abused animals that cower at the first sign on human interaction. My direct supervisor is spineless and does not find it necessary to stick up for our team.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better accolades when they are deserved, care for the people that work for you, and if you don't understand the job your employees do, don't assume to tell them how to do it. The disconnect between the employees on the lower levels are substantially greater than anywhere I would like to work.

engineer

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 8 years

Prosthe company is employee friendly

ConsIn a wrong market.
not enough technology advantage over competitors

Didn't like it too much

I have been working at Spansion for more than a year

ProsI had a job that paid ok

ConsDidn't like it and they didn't help me grow

Worked for Spansion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spansion reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Spansion CEO John H. Kispert. All 101 reviews are posted anonymously by Spansion employees.