Spansion

Updated 3 December 2014
2.7

Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert
John H. Kispert

Pros
  • Also, there was a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs (in 5 reviews)

• no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Returning employee with total of 17 years of service

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Friendly co-workers and a lot to learn if you want to. Good Sonic Boom Wellnes program for employees

Cons

The annual target profit sharing percentage is never achieved due to many management factors, normally you can get from 70% to 80% of the target.

Every employee should get the full target profit percentage allocated by the company for the quarter

Change is in the air

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some of the best, smartest, most capable people I've met in my working life. The current executive management has taken a struggling company and made it a lean, efficient and thriving entity. My middle management is fair, hard working, and works wonders with very limited resources.

Cons

We're in the midst of being acquired by another company which will result in a shake up of executive and middle management. I'm afraid the management style is about to revert back to what it was after spinning off of AMD, which was out-dated and not employee focused. I found it to be an unhappy and unhealthy working environment back then.

Don't ruin the company with archaic attitudes towards employees and the workplace. Learn what it takes to retain talent in the modern workplace, empower people to achieve excellence and recognize their accomplishments.

Application Engineer

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Spansion full-time

Pros

I reccomend especially Application Engineer positions because they are very important for daily promotion and solution development. In general, we always have a problem with the resource of Field Application Engineer and it directly impacts on business.

Cons

You can get multi-culture environment because we collaborate globally for example solution developments, new product spec difinition and homepage design.

Need to consider both short term (daily promotion, technical support, etc) and long term strategy (roadmap, target market and position.)

Decent place to work with decent pay

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was pretty good set hours.

Cons

Much of the middle management needs to step aside and make room for some younger and smarter people.

A company culture that promotes respect and cooperation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Spansion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Constantly innovating technology. Very focused on customer satisfaction. Always willing to go the extra mile.

Cons

Very slow to change the things that don't work. Lots of resistance from old timers. Does not seen to have consequences for bad actions or decision.

The reality on the ground seems very different from what upper management sees. Like they are sheltered from the truth. Need more honest middle managers.

Death to Spansion

Former Employee - Product Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Product Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No Pros left.. The "people first, products and profit will follow!" culture which Jerry Sanders developed for years has been snuffed out.

Cons

No one left except losers and control freaks. No employee incentives plus ENDLESS penny wise pound foolish cuts = imminent failure.

Give up. The key to earning wealth is for everyone else to make a lot of money too.

Tech Support Analyst

I worked at Spansion

Pros

Benefits were good. Fast paced environment. Many opportunities if individual is eager to learn.

Cons

People had no social skills. Very intense and micro managed. Job turn over high. No job stability. Saw many being cut so others would benefit.

Need to allow workers to grow with job by allowing then to cross train when seeking others advanced opportunities. Less micro manage and more collaboration rather than segregating.

It's an OK company to work for but they pay new hires better than long-term employees

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance is about the only good thing anymore

Cons

Each individual is doing the work of 4 people and more is being asked from them every quarter. Cost cutting has gotten ridiculous with the age of the equipment - it has to be fixed or replaced

Recognize people who have stuck it out all these years, went to school and got the degree that was asked of them and attended all classes given by the company and adhered to their rules

Could be better!

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

Smart Management, good people, and pay is okay.

Cons

Lack of resources, very process oriented, and very little to no internal growth opportunities

Horrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Spansion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, campus is clean.

Cons

Management overall is horrible, especially around finance and HR.

Spansion Photos