Spectra Energy

Add Photos

Spectra Energy President, CEO, and Director Greg Ebel

Greg Ebel

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Spectra Energy as a contractor

ProsGreat company culture and they are competitive with pay and opportunities.

ConsIt is better if you are not a contractor. Then its much like family.

Mechanical Engineer in Training

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Fort Nelson, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSpectra offers great opportunity for hands on experience. Working at field operation locations is a huge benefit to gaining great work experience.

Benefits and pay are on par with industry.

ConsSpectra struggles to attract senior personnel due to perceived "undesirable" locations in Northern BC.

Great place to work

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Proswork life balance is great

ConsI don't really have any cons to list

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Positive overall

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSpectra Energy has a good corporate culture. It invests in its employees, and has a relaxed work environment. The work life balance is good with the flex hours program where you can get every other Friday off.

ConsThe career progression can be slow. Management wants to be 110% sure that someone will excel in the role before they make the move. It can be frustrating waiting for the next promotion.

OK For A Big Company

Senior Lead Project Engineer (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Spectra Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsSpectra is an established big company with big company benefits. A leader in natural gas storage and a major player in natural gas transportation.

ConsSpectra is a big company. Some of the internal groups tend to try to act like a small company when in fact the big company layers of bureaucracy and politics exist and are in full effect.

Job security

Senior Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat safety culture .... ok ok

ConsLooking for safety perfection.....ok ok

Safe for women and children - not so good for your career

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Spectra Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsStable
Stress Free
Pleasant office environment
Little travel

ConsDead end
Below Industry Average Pay
Not a "Real" oil and gas company

Advice to Senior ManagementSo much of what your perception of Spectra Energy will be - will depend on your Job function and what you are looking for in your career overall. If you want safe, stable and stress free - this is your place. If you are looking for big money and gaining skills that the market will highly value - look elsewhere.

Spectra Energy is a company that is way too overstaffed, has below industry average pay and fairly dead end as far as skills you would gain that would be transferable even to other oil and gas operating companies. It offers a sheltered, safe and stable work environment that would appeal to women and older workers but probably not to those looking for the oil and gas payoff you would find in other companies in terms of skills, experience or money in the industry.

If you are serious about a career in the oil and gas industry, Spectra will get in you the door. But it will also waste your time if you allow it.

Look somewhere else you can find better

Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsSome people are pleasant to work with

ConsEntire company is made up of all contractors. Rarely do you meet someone who is a permanent employee. When traveling you are expected to pay for all expenses and wait 2-3 weeks for reimbursement from your staffing agency. Job will always be contract so hardly no one goes permanent. Insufficient training and the moment you speak your concerns or have ideas there immediately shot down or in my case invite you to corporate to teach them how to do your job responsibilities and then be laid off 2 weeks later.no real direction, aging workforce, not organized at all. The will assure you they don't do politics but trust me it's there. If u like traveling and feeling like your job is never complete then this place is for you. Salary is way below industry pay because they factor in traveling costs as apart of your salary. Traveling that they enforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you come to someone and ask ways to make things more efficient then to turn down there ideas because you do a group vote who are made up of people not comfortable with changes then look for better ways to manage. Industry is always changing holding back talent because some people are uncomfortable or have egos shouldn't be giving there opinion. Also nothing more cowardly when u schedule a meeting to talk about concerns then cancel it and then keep rescheduling only to drag it out because u know they are being laid off and then say yeah we'll talk about it when I get back the very same day you are laying them off and slipping out the back door with your tail between your legs is cowardly. Yea....sure you don't play politics. Cough cough

Great Culture

SummerAccounting (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spectra Energy as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople, culture, work/life balance, 9/80 work weeks

ConsOpportunities for advancement, salary, dull and repetitive work

Good company for a first job

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spectra Energy as an intern for less than a year

ProsCompetitive pay
Will negotiate more if they really want you
Great coworkers, employees
Opportunity to travel A LOT if you so wish
Benefits are great

ConsSometimes not the projects you want to work on, and it's difficult to request something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your younger employee's talents!

Worked for Spectra Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spectra Energy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Spectra Energy CEO Greg Ebel. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by Spectra Energy employees.