Sports Authority

Updated 28 October 2014
Updated 28 October 2014
2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that (in 55 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

So Far So Good

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with cool people. Always doing work, which makes time go by faster.
    Training is fast and easy. Was put right to work.

Cons

Minimum wage, no real complaints at this time.

Could Be Better

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For anyone who enjoys sports, and has some knowledge about them, it's definitely a good job. You are given multiple resources for increasing your knowledge in a variety of areas, and you're rewarded for doing that training (special discounts).

Cons

The company, as a whole, is incredibly disorganized. There is no focus on new hire training, the directives make no sense half the time, and we end up having to do completely unnecessary work. The loyalty rewards program that is so integral to day-to-day operations, as we're made to believe, could be designed to be better and more convenient for customers (and therefore employees who have to deal with the unhappy/annoyed customers).

With company for 2 years

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Willowbrook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Willowbrook, IL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always busy. Would work in footwear, apparel and at cash register all within one shift. Great staff. Long hours on feet. "Spiffs" or commission earned from selling insoles and other monthly specials. Some included were specific socks, treadmills, or sporting equipment.

Cons

Minimal room for growth. Poorly staffed at some times. Required to obtain customer emails and to sign them up for loyalty programs, which many people would turn down. Reviews and sales count on obtaining this information

Minimize gossip and favoritism. Add other sales tactics opposed to loyalty program

A good experience

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Its a great company they always push you to improve your numbers

Cons

Something are hard to sell if you live in a area where they dont spend a lot of money

Good Temporary or Student Job

Current Employee - Department Lead
    Current Employee - Department Lead

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is good at cost plus 10%. Working with sporting goods is a plus. Management is often flexible with schedules, which can be handy if you are a student or have another job. I enjoy most of my coworkers.

Cons

Expectations are not clear. Many managers are not skilled in their jobs, which causes teams to be not motivated. Another side effect is the lowering of morale. How many hours you get really depends on how busy the store is. Our payroll is small because we are slow meaning that a lot of the sales team only works a couple of 6 hours shifts per week.

Communicate with your store level employees better. Provide more opportunity for training and advancement.

Adequate minimum wage job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greeley, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greeley, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with school schedule.
    Good training

Cons

Little incentive to move up.

Provide better sales perks

Sales Authority

Current Employee - Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good job to sharpen your retail sales skills. The company also offers a great discount for their employees. If you love sports, then this is a great job.

Cons

With most retail jobs, your work/life experience is difficult to manage. You work long hours and almost every holidays. The compensation is not good unless you are upper management.

Tasks outweigh on-hand help

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fun environment
    - Good location
    - Benefits packages
    - Training programs

If you're into sports and looking for a part-time job, especially as a student in college, this is a good start. Most of the staff are friendly and try to keep the workplace fun.

Cons

- Very early hours (3am-11am shifts, typically)
    - Not enough staff
    - Not much cross-department training
    - Demands from upper level corporate management look at what stores need to do across the board, rather than looking individually at each store to see where problem areas lie

We ran into an issue where we weren't making our sales goals, and therefore hours for all employees were cut. The issue was when big department changes would occur, our store was responsible for getting the same amount of work done in the same time as stores with lots of help and extra hours. It became a game of picking what was important on a day-to-day basis, and trying to do the best for each day. Inevitably, if you did tasks A through X, you wouldn't hear, "Congrats on getting A through X done with such little help." You'd hear, "Why aren't Y and Z done," and then be brought into the back for a scolding.

Every associate, in my department and others, complained about not having enough time and support to do anything, and when it would get brought up in floor meetings, it seemed to be brushed off in the hopes it would magically change.

- Don't get upset at a department because you have to come in and help them to finish a task. Get upset at the instructions for being too much for that department to handle with their on-hands in the first place.
    - Spend more money on extra help before you need it. Having available associates on the floor in every department at all time and in those early mornings where merchandise and planograms are being worked is a necessity. Even if you don't have the money to spend, increasing that productivity early on will actually make you more money because people will enjoy shopping there more.

Not a bad place to work in between other jobs

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Great in store discount, cost plus 15%
    Online discount of 25% off
    Not hard work

Cons

Average first job or second job pay, can't live off it
    Not a lot of room for growth
    Company policy to make everyone work the day of thanksgiving and Christmas , also makes you work two days before and after each holiday. They threaten to fire you if you aren't okay with it
    District managers need to be nicer and not wreck the store if it's not up to their standards
    Always end up staying longer then your shift

Fix hours, pay a little more and don't tell me people when they can and can not take off if more people are needed make room in payroll to hire more.

OK, if you want to have a chill job

Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, great discounts, about 45%-70% depending on the product. Good if you just want to make a little money while you go to school, not too demanding. Also Decent sales experience. As long as you talk to the customer and ask them questions on what they need, give them something you think will help you'll do fine. Your number really don't Matter until you become a leader.

Cons

When season hits you typically stay until 2 in the morning picking up the store. On Black Friday we spent the whole night before organizing. Just to stay the next night until 3 in the morning cleaning it all up. ECP is annoying because they are always on top of you to sell it, and you get a sense of accomplishment when you do, but then you begin to realize that sense of accomplishment is out of fear of not selling ECP and the managers getting on your case. Not because you got some reward. So you begin to get annoyed when they bring it up. If you want to make money here you have to have another job period. Most associates besides the Leaders get no more than 18 hour work weeks and I believe this to be due to the high amount of associates.

higher Pay, Less Associates to accommodate higher amount of hours per associate. This will bring turnover rates down.