Sports Authority

Updated 19 February 2015
Updated 19 February 2015
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount (in 59 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Part Time Gig

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Fun Atmosphere, good management and generally a fun place to work if sports are something you're into.

Cons

The way they allocate products, at least in my district is poor. Some stores get all the good stuff, while stores like mine are sent all the region's clearance products. This makes it difficult to help customers find what they need.

Consider giving more attention to the stores who need it.

Great

Current Employee - Associate in Mesa, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Mesa, AZ (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

It's awesome the people are great and so is the discount

Cons

None everything has been good

Merchandise

Former Employee - Merchandise in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career. Great Co-workers. Also a great discount.

Cons

Lack of pay. Poor communication from upper management. Lack of reward programs.

Better communication.

Wonderful

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

Easy, great co-workers, worked in the tech center and learned new skills to help me do my job quicker and more efficiently

Cons

The only down side, as with all retail stores, is some times customers can be rude and do not understand they are not always the priority at the moment.

Wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, a great summer job. I was able to work when I wanted but still have flexibility for working on weekends and nights

Cons

Poor merchandise selection, diappointed customers. Lots of the merchandise got shipped out of our store only to be requested the next day or week. Sidewallk sales in the middle of summer were really just time wasters moving everything in and out

It is a completely pleasant experience. its like working with a family in a very fun enviroment

Current Employee - Cash Lead in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Cash Lead in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

the are very flexible with the schedule. I have never been denied for time off. They are great about letting associates get the hours they want to work.

Cons

The management team sometimes doesnt work as hard as others. I feel as though they barely even work 40 hours and its not consistent

Store managers need to work a bit harder and push associates to do better. instead of delegating tasks, maybe they should also be involved on the sales floor.

A perfectly fine temporary job.

Current Employee - Sales Authority in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- The vast majority of the people you work with are awesome, including the managers. There's a laid-back feeling when it's not busy that promotes a pretty inclusive feel.

- Flexible hours and they're very accommodating with school and other activities.

- The discount is by far the biggest benefit of working here. It can be over 50% on some items (not most), so buy up while you work there.

Cons

- Pressure to sell Extended Coverage Plans (ECPs), which are typical of most "protection plans" in that they're only worth it around 10% of the time so they're basically just pure profit for SA. The employee has zero incentive to sell them other than getting management off your back.

- I have no idea how more people haven't figured out you can get cheaper and better products on the Internet, and they'll actually be available.

- How do you know someone is from corporate? They'll tell you 12 times while you're helping them (I work near the headquarters). And as can be expected with the higher-ups in a big box retailer, they are hilariously out-of-touch.

I'm a lowly sales associate. I have no stake in the success of the company, so I don't particularly care about the ECP or AOS goals. It's not the store managers' fault, they're all doing their best to motivate us, but we see through it. Give us some incentive - ANYthing.

Also, FitFinder is virtually useless and I hope you all learned your lesson on Sheex.

Okay starting point

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Richfield, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Richfield, MN (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mostly good, positive, mature people
    Decent pay for right after high school

Cons

Corporate management is always breathing down your neck for seemingly no reason. High pressure, low reward.

Focus on what really matters.

Company Trying to Make Money for Investors... So Sell Extended Warranties, Or Else!

Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Torrance, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All around friendly co-workers, many of whom I'm still in contact with today
    There were some decent employee promotions in the Sportmant days (those pretty much died off when Sports Authority got bought out)

Cons

Constant, insistent pressure to sell extended warranties, SPIFFs and other add-on items. If you don't meet sales goals, you get written up and your hours get slashed. Why the relentless pressure? Back in 2006, investment firm Leonard Green & Partners did a $1.3 billion leveraged buyout of Sports Authority hoping to grow the brand. In eight years since the buyout, the company has under-performed and lagged in growth (maybe cuz customers are being haggled to buy a bunch of add-on crap they don't want).

I'll give management some advice, but first they have to agree to purchase a 2-year ECP, some socks and three other add-on items.