Sports Authority

www.sportsauthority.com

Sports Authority Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers (in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Busy at times, but lots of walking around aimlessly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed working with co-workers. Fun environment if you enjoy any of the products that sports authority sells

ConsTime off must be requested via computer system, many store managers creates difficulty and miscommunication

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter connection between store managers...each manager seemed to have a different idea and vision of the store. Makes it difficult for employees to go extra-mile or put forth best effort when not sure what to do

Good first experience

Cashier (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIf you like sports and can talk about them, it will be easy to give customers the product they want.

ConsEverything was good, no cons.

it was good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

Prosit was a good work experience as a student

ConsI had to work some late hours

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to do better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed My Time With The Company.

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Gastonia, NC (US)

ProsEasy to advance at store level. Rewarding experience to grow and learn about the sporting good retail business.

ConsCoupon/Cash Cards. Customers always had issues with getting items and cash cards not working properly. Another Issue is the signing of the store locations. It was always done at the last minute and no one really wanted to execute the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to cash card issues and prevent customers from abusing them. The pay was really good.

Decent place to work

Receiving Associate (Current Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsProcesses

Semi-Hostile Management Style
    Truck Schedule too close together
    Uniform
    Work Schedule

Very good yet incredibly boring.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Warwick, RI (US)

ProsI loved working in Team Sports, loved helping customers and being able to use my sports knowledge in an effort to help customers. They dont ask much from associates other than to simply approach customers and at least try and make some sales, which is not terribly difficult when people are mindlessly staring at random products. Loved the benefits of working there, good hours, great managers.

ConsIncredibly boring when no.customers are present. Often spent my time playing street hockey in the aisles or bouncing tennis balls for hours. Had a 36 hour sale once and had three customers come in.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket better.

Felt Betrayed From Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun coworkers...it was easy to make friends, good
    Environment, and decent hours. MOST of the managers were nice and cared for your safety. There was a manager who made sure my ride came to get me at night and for the most part everyone asked me how my day was going. They seemed to care for my well being. SOME.

ConsWhen I first started, everything was fine. I was hired as seasonal but was brought back a few months later as permanent work. When I came back management was a little different which was not an issue to me since it looked like they promoted from within the store! But things quickly turned bad.

I was mainly the closer and had to take care of the fitting rooms and clothing. There were NO REGARDS to what time you left. Your shift might say 2-1030 but be looking at getting off around 11 or 1130. I was constantly doing overtime because we all had to leave the store together, which meant EVERY department needed to be clean and ready for anyone to leave. I don't mind overtime here and there but not every night. If we had someone coming in from HQ to check out the place, then expect to be there until midnight because they clean the night BEFORE. instead we should have the whole week leading up to clean or just keep the place looking good all the time. Too much scrambling.

When I was told that I was going to learn to check when it got busy, I was excited since I have never used a cash register before!! But that quickly went away when I needed help on the register. One manager was so irritated with me asking ONE question about a return that she just gave me SO MUCH attitude and basically rolled her eyes at me...she didn't help me at all and I just asked another cashier who was very helpful. I never went up to her again for anything after that.

I realize most stores have this policy where we are not allowed to confront someone who is stealing but my coworker and I caught someone and did what we were told and that was to give GREAT customer service and we constantly checked up on the person ("Are You Finding Everything Ok?"
    Do You Need Help?" Etc.) to show them that we were being attentive. We communicated this to other employees and management so we all knew what was happening. Of course the guy walked out with merchandise because we don't call the cops or whatever. So that night when we were all discussing the situation, one of the "lead" cashiers made a Snarky remark that if we had given the guy good customer service then he wouldn't have done it. Needless to say she was trying to assert herself where it wasn't needed and throughout my stay at Sports Authority she made more comments like this directed to me.

The breaking point for me was when I almost got 3 write ups in ONE WEEK. My first was when my drawer was short some small amount and the second was when my drawer was short again...which I felt was suspicious since the "lead" cashier seemed to have it out for me but managers know best. Then my third almost happened when I accepted a store coupon without attaching a receipt...I wasn't told I needed to do this and was basically interrogated about who told me it was ok to not attach a receipt!! I felt horrible but I told them who trained me (which training was literally 30 minutes) and they had to talk to the person about what I did. They said they'll let it slide this one time but next time id be written up!! After that I never wanted to cashier again.

It was sad because I really had my heart set out for this place and it hurt me to give my 2 weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get everyone on the same page and try to be more diligent on training! If you're willing to write someone up that's new for something they weren't taught, then there's a flaw in the system. Change is good but if one person is this way and another is that way then there's so balance. Also find people who are willing to help. No one new wants to feel like they're being a pain or bother for asking questions!! Also there should be a daily check list for everyone to do so that people aren't stuck in the store before an auditor until midnight cleaning. If it was a daily thing then the night before someone from HQ comes in, it should just be the finishing touches.

The experience was very good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe prose are there is a Flexible staff, with a very good good atmosphere, and lots of team work. Very cooperative leadership.

ConsThe cons to working here would be the salaries are not competitive for a career, unless you climb the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep all staff happy and wanting to strive for a great store.

Typical retail job, good if you know and love sports

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood customer service, fun atmosphere

Consforced too conservative dress, forced upsell

ok place to work at

ProsGood employee discount and the hourly pay is above minimum wage plus commission to give employees incentive to sell more

Consinconsistent work schedule and hours, will have 40 hours one week and 24 hours the next

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!