Sports Authority

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that (in 55 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoy working at Sports Authority, Corporate office

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Culture is very good, management makes you feel appreciated for your hard work. Very good benefits such as health/dental, great retail discounts, onsite gym, yoga and pilates classes midday, Friday Summer hours program is nice to be able to leave at noon for the mountains, etc. The Employee Thanks program is unique and helps to provide a positive attitude around the office. There is also an active number of sports teams and leagues at SA.

Cons

Some of the software applications should be upgraded or changed.

Keep it up. The message from the top is spot on.

Sporting Goods

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Discount - Fun atmosphere - Its sporting goods after all

Cons

Can be high pressure - Sometimes lack of hours

Improved management and great people.

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with on my team were wonderful. The office culture in Planning, Allocation and Replenishment improved a lot when the upper management changed. There was more attention on training and leadership. The discount is the best in the business. Transparency from upper management had greatly improved. Health benefits were good.

Cons

The pay wasn't great. They are the largest corporate retailer in the Denver area and figure you'll take whatever salary they offer in order to live in Denver. Some systems could use some updating. Vacation is still only 2 weeks for up to 5 years, which seems a little outdated to me. Good work life balance depends on which area you work in.

As a former planner, upper management should let us do the job we were paid for. As planners, we spent a lot of time and did a lot of analysis on monthly retrends and yearly plans. To then get a top down number from someone and be told to put in it with little to no explanation is beyond frustrating. Communication within certain departments was not great. In many meetings, you were put on the defensive instead of it being a collaborative working session.

Blah

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Wilmington, DE (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Wilmington, DE (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount was great

Cons

Loyalty sign ups was a killer
    Favoritism

Okay management

Worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glendale Heights, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glendale Heights, IL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount

Cons

The pay is terrible, the hours suck, the managers are completely clueless and are terrible at their jobs for the most part with a few exceptions. Corporate always is changing the way you do things and they make store policies that you have to follow but yet if a customer calls them and complains about the policy you have to make an exception for them so corporate makes you look like the bad guy for following their own policy. I would never recommend working for this company

Learn how to manage

Everything is about keeping the stores numbers up.

Current Employee - Sales Authority
    Current Employee - Sales Authority

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that. The pay is decent for a retail store. The coworkers are pretty cool and that's pretty much it.

Cons

The goals they set for sales, loyalty cards, extended coverage plans, selling stuff online (AOS) are so unrealistic and out of the employees control. Not everyone wants to buy things online in store when they can just do so in the comfort of their own home. No one wants to give out their email and phone number to get a loyalty card. Which is understandable because thats their private information. The return policy sucks if you dont have a receipt the customer gets the lowest selling cost then on store credit then the customer goes crazy on you. And if you want the full price you have to call an 800 number to get your receipt. Also management sucks they always have their favorites and let them slide with everything. Some managers dont know anything!

Stop the favoritism. Treat everyone equally.

Too Little Too Late

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health Insurance

If you have a friendly store manager they will work along with you vacation and days off. But only if your full time part timers get the shaft

Of course that is just at my location

Cons

If you are familiar with coverage plans and loyalty that companies offer now. Sports Authority takes selling these to customers to a whole new level. They place a lot of stress on Store Manager and below to obtain unexpected to goals that has caused many store managers to be fired because they frauduaulently try to replicate these goals for the corporation. They pride themselves on being a customer friendly store but dont take care of their employees. It is literally a revolving door and no growth within the company. They change the CEO once every two years who then comes in with their own agenda.

With my four years with the company I have been through 3 District Managers and 3 CEOS and 2 Store managers.

Great People.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People and fun. People are very passionate about their job and company. Sports Authority corporate office is a fun place to work.

Cons

A lot of executive turnover and lower level employees are not paid market value.

Fun

Former Employee - Cashier in Wheaton, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wheaton, IL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Pay was decent
    - Managers all cool
    - Co-Workers are amazing

Cons

- The actual work
    - Hours
    - Drama

- Pay some people who deserve it, more.

It's just retail

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

Pros would definitely be the discount. Being able to work and sell sporting goods as well as talk to customers.

Cons

Pay would be the biggest challenge. This goes for regular associates as well as managers. Dealing with old outdated pos systems. Constantly changing priorities and goals.

Update all pos systems and try to get current with other big box retailers. Pay your managers accordingly for the amount of work they do.