Sports Direct

Updated 17 December 2014
2.2

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• As it was my first job, and i was still at school, I was given flexible working hours around my school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • you have a zero hour contract so you can never guarantee whether you will have work (in 19 reviews)

• Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

overall

I worked at Sports Direct

Pros

flexibility of hours
    valuable skills gained

Cons

pay rate
    shift patterns are awkward

basic competency interview

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (less than an year)

Pros

not much to be honest

Cons

long hours, do not speak to anyone in a professional manner

There should be no swearing when talking to others managers or staff members.

Co-Workers Are Great, Perks Are Lacking

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Denton, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Denton, North West England, England

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

During my time at Sports Direct I have found that the best things about the job are the Zero-hour contract, which for me as a student allows me to work as and when I'm available (after school, school holidays etc) and also to take time off whenever I need it such as for exams and holidays with my family. Another great aspect of Sports Direct are the people. Even when the hours behind a till are starting to drag on a little there's always a friendly face next to you to make you smile.

Cons

Every now and then the customers can be rude, however I'm sure this is an occupational hazard for anyone in retail.

Increase pay from minimum wage. It isn't easy working six hours non stop 5 days a week and the pay should reflect this. The employee discount is pretty much non-existant, even with a valid pay slip and being on the only day of the week when the company gives a minimal employee discount I have been refused by stores as I don't work for that particular branch. Ideally the discount would be extended to 7 days a week and some form of proof other than personal information about my earnings should be given out to allow access to discounts.

Casual Assistant

Former Employee - Cast in London, England
    Former Employee - Cast in London, England

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible, no contracts, work whenever they need you to, some really nice, young staff

Cons

supervisors/managers can be rude and unprofessional, favouritism, often driven by sales they don't really care for you. I have seen staff upset because of the way managers/ supervisors treat them. No training provided staff can be thrown into the deep end quite quickly. Only have discounts on certain days which may be days you are not working

connect with staff, provide training, have a better attitude

Possible the worst company on the high street

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hard to think of a pro for sports direct. The only good thing that unites the workers is a hatred of the place

Cons

Awful training, terrible attitude from management towards breaks, zero hour contracts are a joke, whats the point of asking a worker their availability for shift if you are just going to be put into the rota at anytime

Treat workers as people, take time to listen to them, organise shifts better

Absolute joke.

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

When the stores busy, your always on your feet, management were friendly at interview stage, meet a lot of new friendly people, and it's a good start to improving customer service skills

Cons

Zero hour contract, they call you in when they feel like it, sometimes they text you your shift hours and when I texted I never got a response, then I got a text the next day telling me that I was due in at 12, I had 1 hour to get ready and get to work, they treat you like slaves, especially if your at a young age they expect you to run around for them. Tasks don't vary much, always doing the same job each shift and when the stores not busy then it gets very boring and your shift drags. No breaks unless you have a 6 hour shift and the pay is low and not worth it.

Treat staff with a little more respect, better organisation would be great, and increase in pay.

Worst employer I have ever worked for!

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There isn't anything best to describe about this company. They are just greedy.

I worked 2 years for this company MBA graduate and they treated me like crap... This message to those who sit in HO.

I saved thousands for this company and guess what i got? incentive cut, bonus removed without reason plus manipulated my hard work and took 1 more additional days of pay. They adjust the payments and manipulate as per Area Managers instructions...

Area Managers do not even have courtesy to face the fact instead they cut your hard earned money...

Ho instructions..... you know who you are and you took my hard earned money.

Such a unethical company..

I feel pity for those casual staffs....

Cons

Dealing with benefit scums (Sports Direct attracts such people) those who live with tax payers money and shop at Sd. You do not know hard work and what does it mean.

Company Values:Poor very unprofessional.

Office Culture: Those who sit in HO and in training department they think they know it all. Guess what you haven't worked in professional environment and you do not know what is professionalism means.

Sitting at HO doesn't mean you know everything. Respect others values, backgrounds and their history before you make any judgement.

Don't be too smart because you work at HO.

Learn how to deal with professionals... If you do not know then learn from others experience....

HO Training department they think they are too smart and know it all... you wish..

open your eyes and go and work in the shop... then go and right what you have seen and what you have faced..

I have never seen a company which is so greedy.

poor business ethics, but can be used as a means to pay bills

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Bristol, England

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working hours, friendly staff, promotion prospects

Cons

minimum wages, minimum breaks, maximum workload.

treat casual staff more like you treat management staff, there is a large divide.

fantastic and rewarding, don't believe everything you read

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the rewards of working your way up in a company , hard work yes, long hours of course, but as with everything worthwhile in life what you put into it you get out of it, if you want an easy life do not work for sports direct, you want to work and earn beyond all expectations then this is the company for you

Cons

only negative here is people that don't want to work for a living and think that the company owes them

I enjoy being kept busy but Sports Direct constantly run at 100mph

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The fast pace means you're constantly busy, whether you're serving or merchandising or doing little important jobs. The staff are great and the management are ok. Most of the time you're left to your own devices which shows a certain element of trust. Very flexible hours.

Cons

Communication is poor, staff are expected to take on more responsibility than they deserve, heavy emphasis on add-on sales and own-brand promoting takes away some of the fun from natural customer interaction. Very few staff get promoted from zero hours. Very poor health and safety.

Don't be a bully. Some managers take the hard line on poor add on sales which leads to demotivated, miserable staff. Lead by example; take more responsibility with training staff instead of leaving them with part time staff who won't train new people properly.