Standard Chartered Bank Reviews

742 reviews filtered by
3.5
Standard Chartered Bank Group CEO Peter Sands
Peter Sands

Pros
  • Work-life balance does exist, but there are some individuals who slog like slaves (in 67 reviews)

• Work life balance as they have flexi hour with good working environment (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Work can get a bit hectic, sometimes difficult to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• long working hours, low pay, no recognition at work unless youre an indian (in 15 reviews)

1. Satisfying

Former Employee - Secretary to Regional Head UK & Europe in London, England
    Former Employee - Secretary to Regional Head UK & Europe in London, England

I worked at Standard Chartered Bank

Pros

Friendly, forward thinking, pushed staff to achieve

Cons

Very busy, not enough admin staff

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff for their achievements and hard work and listen to their concerns about work overload

2. Operation chartering banking agencies insurance transportation

Current Employee - Ships Chartering in London, England
    Current Employee - Ships Chartering in London, England

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank full-time

Pros

Hope to be improved to live better life work hard and trust

Cons

Experience is a must to start new job and the best way for success education english speaker computer skill

Advice to Management

Nice to work hard

3. The people are nice, but the workload is appalling. Infrastructure not great. Pressurised. Weak management.

Current Contractor - Administrator in London, England
    Current Contractor - Administrator in London, England

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. The people are very nice & haven't met a horrible one yet. They will try to socialise with you and are inclusive. They put up with me ranting sometimes and haven't fired me yet. They have a good canteen which is heavily subsidised. They encourage you to stick to the working hours of 9 - 5 even if you're on a daily rate like me. There is a good Support Network online where you have good, visual training.

Cons

The workload is extremely heavy and I work like a robot all day, and still don't get it all done. There is pressure from the head of the team to get things done quickly. It is slightly hierarchical there. The atmosphere is bland and formal and I don't feel like I can be myself. Even though people are nice, the managers don't really care if you're overloaded don't do anything about it. So are they really that nice? No. I have had to learn a lot of new skills and haven't had good training, which is a big challenge for me. There are people sitting around me who quite obviously don't have much to do but seem to get off scott free.

Advice to Management

The management should listen to staff when they say they have too much work and should do something about it. They should spread the workload more fairly between PA's and Administrators, and support staff and even give support type work to non-support staff who clearly haven't got much to do. For example the BCP/emergency arrangements could be dealt with by junior managers or non-support staff, instead of being old fashioned and piling everything onto the administrators. Leaders of teams need to act and speak up to their seniors to make important changes and make things better for staff, instead of being cowardly. Internal post needs to be delivered more than once a day. The photocopiers need to change so that they don't time out everytime you photocopy something. The videoconferencing system should be made more user friendly. The e-pro system should warn you before it times out. The system for travel should be improved - once an e-pro is approved it takes too long for the final air ticket to be issued so that on a Friday you could lose the travel booking. Eradicate the travel data protection/declaration form before you get set up with a CWT profile. It's impossible to find it as a new starter on the website, no helpline to ring, it is not necessary. The infrastructure needs to be improved generally. I have worked at numerous companies over the last 10 years and this bank is bureaucratic which is frustrating. Cut the bureaucracy please.

5. Says one thing does another

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Standard Chartered Bank (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a holiday camp, do the bare minimum and you still get paid

Cons

No career progression, no pay rises and lower than market rate, lacks management

Advice to Management

Start taking the code of conduct seriously - its not just a ticking the box exercise. You wonder why you are making losses start reviewing the rationale for business trips, expense claims and also vendor invoices.

6. Not bad but could be better

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank

Pros

Good work life balance- ability to work from home although can include unsociable hours given its a global business
    Inclusive attitude from managers
    Nice people

Cons

Salary and bonus is way behind the market
    Everything is decided by committee and nobody takes ownership
    Incredibly bureaucratic

7. Times are changing

Current Employee - Personal Assistant/Coordinator in London, England
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant/Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank

Pros

Great values, that are communicated well
    Good benefits
    Flexible working encouraged
    friendly culture
    Opportunities to travel and change departments

Cons

Hierarchy reigns
    Staff losing faith in management - however a new CEO has been announced, a new FD was appointed last year
    Little investment in IT systems and space (hot desking and working from home because there's no room in the office)

Advice to Management

Dont cost-cut to the point that your employees are working with substandard systems

8. Career limiting if you are considering venturing into a specialist area.

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank

Pros

Job stability; specially suitable for generalists.

Cons

Career limiting for someone considering a career in a specialist field. You become more of a generalist without having much expert knowledge in any specific area.

9. I worked in Standard Chartered Bank for short time as an assistant.

I worked at Standard Chartered Bank

Pros

The best reason I worked there is the atmosphere in the office. All staff in the office are equal, and they are very kind to each other.

Cons

I have to assist a lot of people and take various tasks. This means that I have to learn a lot of new things quickly, which is very challenging to me.

Advice to Management

The staff should improve their efficiency of working.

10. Compliance manager

Current Employee - Compliance Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Compliance Manager in London, England

I have been working at Standard Chartered Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

30 day holiday, work from home,

Cons

Unreasonable targets, lack of career opporttunities, unprofessional HR system

Advice to Management

Consider being taken over as share price is on its knees and your time has come

11. Changed for the worst

Former Employee - Wholesale Bank in London, England
    Former Employee - Wholesale Bank in London, England

I worked at Standard Chartered Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bank has the right footprint and the prior model would work if they went back to it.
    Good chance to work abroad

Cons

A lot of Investment bank hires in managerial roles taking the money and having unrealistic expectations.
    Bank is rapidly losing its DNA

Advice to Management

Go back to the old "here for good" SCB model which has now become here to get whatever I can for myself over the last couple of years

Standard Chartered Bank Photos