Standard Chartered Bank

Standard Chartered Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Standard Chartered Bank Group CEO Peter Sands

Peter Sands

Pros
  • Work-life balance does exist, but there are some individuals who slog like slaves(in 46 reviews)

• Nice working environment inside the company(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance based upon projects(in 19 reviews)

• long working hours, low pay, no recognition at work unless youre an indian(in 15 reviews)

Intern

Project Finance (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat culture,
     friendly people
    Great food at subsidized prices!

Consalmost none. Although it was a little hard approaching senior management

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

Not as much learning as i expected

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffice was nice, salary for intern was standard in China.
    I stayed for only four months so didnt get as much experience, but there are some nice colleagues.
    Time-off was flexible

ConsInternal competition and interpersonal relationship was a bit complicated, considering it's an international company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a little bit more attention to interns. They are more than just low cost labour. Sometimes they can bring value if you use them wisely you know?

Very good.

Intern (Current Employee) London, England

ProsProfessional workplace. Good and friendly people.

ConsWeak Training. No mentors offered.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery good bank to start your career with. Training provided is great.

Consif you want international transfer within the bank, it is not very easy

Good exposure across the footprint of the network within the IG program

Associate Director (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- Good training for international graduates (IG)
    - Emerging market based

Cons- Mixed culture due to large turnover
    - Moderate brand recognition
    - Compensation on par or below par

Good office, many opportunities, but poor management

FI OCC (Former Employee) London, England

Prosgood working hours..average to decent compensation

Consmanagement is very poor and sometimes not competent even in basic banking knowhow

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more...atleast make an effort

Outstanding Firm performance, but lack of career prospects in uk

ProsGood culture and work life balance. Out their value and corporate value in very night priority

ConsOnly focused in Asia, particularly Singapore, hk, India and china. Good career prospective only if you are planning to be an expat

Very mixed experience; loved some parts, hated others.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat work/life balance and philanthropic culture. SCB have a great work life balance, actively encouraging working from home, using all your holiday plus days out of the office volunteering.

ConsConsensus driven environment, difficult to get any major decisions made. Also takes an incredibly long time to make any changes at all. Seems to encourage forward thinking by hiring bright people, only to hinder them at every turn.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower people.

Good bank to work For.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable, with highly skilled employees

ConsLimited presence in Europe, most activities are based in Asia, Africa and Middle east

Not good

(Former Employee) London, England

ProsSome people are great, nice offices in the City, good reputation especially in Asia.

A good focus on CSR and Peter Sands has managed to keep the Bank very profitable during recession.

ConsThe Bank communicates as being a caring employer but it is not. I was made lots of promises about being made permanent right to the end of my last contract then they got rid of me without any interest in the impact it had on me, just because it suited them. And very little notice too!

Fair enough when you are in banking: it's a heartless industry. But usually the package makes up for that. It's the not the case at the Bank as it underpays. Relocation to Singapore is an easy way to recruit and retain though as taxes are so low there, especially compared Western Europe. Be however careful that non-permanent residents and nationals get a mere 3% of additional of cash in lieu of employer pension contributions while the UK pension scheme is fairly good (10 to 14% contributions depending on age if I remember well and if the Bank has not made itself compliant with age-discrimination legislation since I left). The relocation package is a bare minimum too.

There is also a prudent approach to anything and a big culture of engagement and consensus. Good idea but it's taken to the extreme, up to the point of inefficiency. The decision-making process is very slow, if any decision is made at all. Projects are planned at the beginning of the year and there is no departing from those. There is no reward for addressing other matters that pop up in the year, leaving the Bank exposed to non-compliance. The "it's not my role" attitude doesn't help either.

Relationship-based business too. What it means in practice is that anyone who is part of the furniture will have more influence than a more recent recruit. Not very motivating.

Finally, hierarchy thrives at the SCB with a little caste system within it. The lower caste is grades 9 to 5 and the superior ones are in bands 4 to 1. This is to the point that people will talk of graded or banded employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff better. The economy will eventually pick up and the competition will suddenly become very attractive.

Worked for Standard Chartered Bank? Contribute to the Community!