Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated 1 March 2015
3.7

Starwood Hotels & Resorts President & CEO Frits van Paasschen
Frits van Paasschen

Pros
  • get to work with many talented people from around the world (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits we get hotel discounts (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was hard because we get so involved with everything on property (in 22 reviews)

• Long Hours, some departments take longer than others for management opportunities to open up (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Marketing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation, unique and luxury brands, intelligent colleagues, fantastic travel perks (better than any travel company and better than most consulting company), and a great addition to the resume (Fortune 500 company). Working for Starwood in a corporate setting is incredibly challenging, but it will get you ready for any other opportunities, even ones outside of the travel industry. You learn to become a very efficient Project Manager.

Cons

Stamford office culture can remind you a lot of college Greek life. If you don't know how to play politics well, it's hard to get noticed for your hard work and get promoted. Most of my colleagues work 70+ hours a week but some departments within Starwood that hardly work 30 hours a week. Compensation should be better as corporate associates live in the most expensive places in US (Greenwich, Stamford, and NYC).

Provide useful training vs. conferences that remind you of pharmaceutical seminars. Hire those with actual hospitality experience, instead of pricey consultants from Bain, PWC, or Deloitte. While Starwood is leading the technology innovation in the industry, properties and corporate associates have hard time keeping up with different initiatives. We simply don't have the resources and men power to execute these awesome initiatives 100%.

No work life balance

Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great hotels, benefits are fantastic and affordable, robust discounts on hotels rooms for personal use.

Cons

Little chance to advance up, average work week 70+hrs not included travel weeks. Upper management does not care about working mothers, take vacation time and you will pay for it and be expected to work during your time off. Leadership is in re-org and not the progressive company that was the foundation it was build on years ago.

Brand Team Member

Current Employee - Brand Team Member in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Brand Team Member in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

matrix organization and a lot of accountability

Cons

less communication between departments, personal growth

employees need to be more motivated time to time

Depends which group you're in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary and work-life balance.

Cons

Poor middle management, poor technology, bureaucratic.

Create a culture of inclusion. Invest in better technology at the corporate level.

Innovative company, smart people -- sometimes too political and corporate

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart colleagues, amazing brands and industry, autonomy/ability to run with ideas, work/life balance, perks

Cons

Unclear career growth, politics, takes too long to get things done in an extremely matrixed organization

Take goal of being "agile" seriously -- why does it take 9 months to hire someone? 60 days to make a decision? Why is fighting for capital dollars so difficult?

Great company that really cares about its associates

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

I can't speak too much to other departments, but my leadership encourages associates and challenges them with new projects beyond standard job roles. Successes are rewarded well. Work-life balance is a priority and 'life' time is respected.

Cons

salaries tend to not be competitive enough for the area

This company has the worst corporate politics. Leaders can't be trusted!

Former Employee - Marketing in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The field, hospitality, some strong brands.

Cons

Leadership. I find it shocking that Fritz has a 90% approval rating. Clearly these reviews are coming from hoteliers that have not spent any time in Stamford, CT (previously White Plains, NY). A good leader should surround themselves with a strong team. That is not the case with this executive team. There is so little respect for the men brought in by the current CEO. I was at a VP level and I can tell you the in fighting between SPG/Global Web, divisional brand teams, global brand teams was extremely unprofessional. It was disheartening to see leaders tear down others on "opposing" teams and only listening to their own staff rather than getting a full view. Leaders tore down the next level down versus building them up. I guess to maintain their own stature Not sure, but I can assure you there are some terrible people in brand leadership positions and heading up the SPG team. I am so glad to be out of that back-stabbing culture with such poor leadership. If you are living the Stamford drama...leave. I assure you there are much stronger options. After 8 years I finally woke up and I am so glad I have a healthy view on what a corporate culture should look like. You will not have that in Stamford.

It was great

Former Intern - Intern in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an Intern they wasted no time making me feel valued at the company. I was allowed to sit in on huge conference calls and shadow employees in various fields; sustainability, digital marketing, social media, etc. The highlight was presenting a mock advertisement for the Global Homepage to the board of executives! Overall it was a great learning opportunity.

Cons

I could have taken on more real-life assignments during the course of the summer. It felt as though they did not fully trust us interns to take on any heavy tasks, even though we were all more than capable.

Upper management was great. Very willing to help.

Behind the times

Current Contractor - Developer in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Contractor - Developer in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's stable for now. Plenty of free parking in the Stamford office. Most people work from home on Fri.

Cons

Technology is 10 years behind the times and initiatives are run by PMs. The bureaucracy and red tape you have to go through to get a browser install is insane. Good luck getting a Mac laptop. No growth if you want to learn any technology.

Expect to be in meetings and more meetings.

Get more Engineers that know technology.

Be forewarned...

Former Contractor - Withheld in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Contractor - Withheld in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The company is a Fortune 500 company and therefore looks good on the resume if you can survive. That's about it.

Cons

Consultants are treated as second class citizens even though you will be told that you will be treated as an employee. What this really means is that you will be undermined, criticized and micro-managed endlessly until found incompetent. The root cause of this are employees who know that there is no consequence to their own incompetence because it can be easily blamed on the consultant. The result is a revolving door of consultants. My best advice is to do your homework before accepting an assignment there.

Look at the turnover rate of consultants working in specific jobs and with specific employees. You'll then see the pattern emerge.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Photos