State Farm
www.statefarm.com Bloomington, IL 5000+ Employees

State Farm Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

3.5 1,279 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

1,279 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education"
    in 76 reviews
  • "Work environment is good as well as other employees were great to work with"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Agents are considered "independent contractors" with no benefits but are treated like "employees"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Employees, while they used to welcome the extra pay, feel the work-life balance is skewed to work life"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good, Stable Company

Quote & Bind (Current Employee)
Dunwoody, GA (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent benefits
Multiple areas to work in
Good company culture where positivity and respect for others is promoted
Diverse workforce

ConsI would say the the ability to move around is limited and restricted by the 12 month incumbency period applied to most, if not all positions. It restricts movement of qualified candidates to new, better positions. The mentality and teaching from management and HR of 'be patient, more positions will become available' is annoyiong to hear when you're trying to move up to a better salary and/or position.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away or make exceptions to the 12 month incumbency period that is used (even though sometimes the rule is broken for some). It restricts consideration of internal candidates that would otherwise fit available positions.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at State Farm part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat hours, great pay, greater benefits all up front immediately after training. Awesome co-workers. Fun work environment.

ConsNot much to report. They really focus on your growth within the company.

Experience was pretty good.

Producer (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsThe job offers great flexibility for vacation time or time off needed for any personal reasons. For the most part, great work environment. I would recommend it to anyone.

ConsThere is really no room for growth. Not too many people start and end their careers as insurance producers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really

Continuously learning and never at a loss for work

Agent Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood source of income, I love assisting people in a field that is needed and is rewarding.

ConsConstant number driven atmosphere with corporate.

Great Company to work for!

I have been working at State Farm

ProsFlexibility, earning potential, team environment

ConsCan be solely commission based

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the team members that run your agents offices.

Great Company - ignore the nonsense

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGREAT benefits.
Performance raises
Company bonus
Christmas presents
CCC Sales call center part time positions (in other locations) can create full time income.

ConsSome of the workloads/schedules are egregious. It can cause work/life to be out of balance. In some areas the care for the individual is gone, they have so many people looking for work sometimes you can feel devalued.
Company restructuring can make things very volatile.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhones have to be answered by people. People have to have lives, rethink your schedules to accommodate more back to back days off and less 10 hour weekend days that include both Saturday and Sunday. Happy employees make for stable, hard working, lasting employees.

Excellent experience at State Farm

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Bloomington, IL (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Team
Good work/life balance
Short commute
Great community

ConsCareer advancement
No other employment opportunities in the area. So you will be moving there just for State Farm.

QA tester

QA Tester (Former Employee)
Bloomington, IL (US)

I worked at State Farm as a contractor for more than a year

Prosgood pay with good benefits, flexible hours and schedule .

ConsToo long and unnecessary meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementMay be shorten the meeting time.

Culture change underway from family atmosphere to white collar assembly line.

Salaried Professional (Former Employee)
Midwest City, OK (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDue to a massive reorganization, tens of thousands of employees are being displaced or replaced in the next 3 - 4 years with 30,000+ employees ending up in 4 main hubs, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix and Tacoma. This represents an incredible opportunity for those under 30 looking to get your career started. You do not need very much work experience to get hired at this company just the requisite skill sets needed for a given position. Career advancement opportunity in these 4 cities should be substantial. I enjoyed 25+ years at State Farm before being displaced and loved working with great, capable co-workers.

ConsSince this is a mutual organization (i.e. not a stock company), upper management is not accountable for company performance as the "Board of Directors" is a rubber stamp for any and all organizational initiatives. Management is mostly inbred, and middle management has reached positions in departments that they don't have actual work experience in resulting in very poor policyholder customer service. Top Executives have lifetime job security, and some of the finest leaders have unfortunately retired or left the company in the past few years.The company is poorly directed at the top as there is a figurehead Chairman (his selection based on his family heritage). The backbone of the company is a large, professional, outstanding and loyal long term tenured employee group, about 20% of the Sales Agents (and their Team Members) bring in 100 % of the new business. Neither of these two groups have had much (if any) input into the re-engineering of State Farm, and that is shameful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek advice from employees that actually carry out the company's mission everyday instead of creating hundreds of Analysts that capture the production metrics of ill conceived processes that should never have been implemented if employees had been allowed to envision what's best for our customers. Mr Chairman, PLEASE RETIRE! Mr CFO, you are a brilliant person, but you have decimated this company and it's culture. Your penchant for SIGMA SIX lean processes would be great in a manufacturing organization, but I fear you have endangered our great employees livelihood and are heading the company to DEEP SIX. A relationship business cannot thrive on production numbers and metrics.Time for you to go sir! Board of Directors, your are the weakest link in our organization, stop being a rubber stamp for the CFO and Chairman's Office and actually show some thoughtful leadership and oversight for a change!

A family oriented company.

CSA (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at State Farm is like working for your family. They care about you as if you are their flesh and blood. They want to see you succeed, and they will help you reach your goals any way they can.

ConsThe hours can be long, and sometimes your heart aches for your customers when you feel you have done everything you can do for them and it isn't enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to ask your employees how their day is going, whats going on in their lives. Learn about THEM. Learn about their lives. How they are doing outside those office doors affects job performance. sometimes just knowing someone cares can really boost morale and quality of work load.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Farm reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for State Farm CEO Ed Rust Jr.. All 1,279 reviews are posted anonymously by State Farm employees.