State Farm

www.statefarm.com

State Farm Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.5 1,471 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education(in 87 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent(in 18 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits(in 33 reviews)

1,471 Employee Reviews

SF is THE Market Leader for P&C, but the New Agent Contract (AA05) can be very challenging ..... Do Your Homework!

Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee)

ProsAgent Compensation is truly uncapped - the harder you work and the more business (and the higher volume you write in ALL lines of business) you write - the more you will make. There is an opportunity to earn a SIGNIFICANT Scorecard Bonus each year. The general public is very familiar with the company, so new agents will have instant credibility and brand name recognition. If you can be a high performer you will be rewarded with trips around the world (Ambassador travel program).

ConsSummary: For the RIGHT PERSON the Agent opportunity can be everything they would want it to be - but I observed in myself and many other agents that it takes an extraordinary amount of focus, organization, time management, and teamwork, along with the ability to continually invest heavily in your business to be a consistent high producing agent.

Details: The AA05 Contact is a GROWTH-BASED compensation plan. SF will guarantee you a base level of P&C commissions, but an additional 3% has to earned / validated every year. This can be extremely challenging based on the market your office is in; or if there any restrictions SF has placed regarding underwriting or rates in your area. Additionally - life events such as the births of children, impaired health or deaths of loved ones, divorce, etc may require time away from the office and may take your 100% attention off of growing the business - which may mean that you will earn less next year than you did this year. The AA05 contract is genius from SF's point of view (because of variable comp you can never relax and be content with your existing book of business), but when it works against you as an agent it can be extremely frustrating!
    As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent. I became divorced during my time in agency, and when I ultimately won full custody of my daughter I ended up resigning from SF Agency a few years later as I found it extremely difficult to be fully vested in growing my agency, and meet my own standards of being a successful father.
    ALSO - if you are considering becoming an agent, DO YOUR HOMEWORK in regards to average premiums in any particular market area, as premiums can VARY WIDELY from state to state, and even within the same state. If I had my size book of business in SC or WV, instead of NC (where my agency was located) - my annual gross compensation would have likely been $50,000 or more higher! Not everyone wants to live in WV, but the difference in premiums (how commissions are derived) can be significant.
    Lastly, as an agent you will constantly be dealing with employees - hiring them, training them, firing them, etc. I would say that staffing issues are a universal challenge for most State Farm agents that want / need to perform at a fairly high level. Just know that on the front end!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider leveling the playing field in regards to AA05 comp - based on market area differences. I was an agent in a small, rural town in NC and there were not any new home communities being built near my office. As a whole people were moving away from my area, not into it. I felt disadvantaged by the SF AA05 agent's comp plan DESIGN because other agents in my state were in higher growth areas, such as the suburbs of Charlotte or Raleigh. When comp is based on growth and the market area has no natural growth, it is much more difficult to continue to grow an agency every year to maintain your standards of income on a year to year basis.

Work for corporate, not the agent

ProsFairly flexible with schedule, good agents can offer a better work environment

ConsIf you work for the agent, you are at the mercy of the agent. Old school agents are typically more laid back. The new agents want results only, and it is not unheard of for someone to be fired within 3-4 weeks if they are hitting their quota. Salary and Commission are determined by agent. You're lucky if you get health insurance. There is also hardly anyway to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe team members are the real people doing the work. They should see some guide of benefit from corporate. They are, after all, the ones building the business. Agents are mostly just a figure,

Great Experience

Claims Processor (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsAwesome team, wonderful work environment. Tremendous room for growth.

ConsI wish i could have stayed longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Shreveport, LA (US)

ProsVery strong company. Will always be a player.

ConsI do not have any cons.

Great learning experience

ProsWork/Life Balance, and excellent open door policy.

ConsNot much excitement around the Insurance Industry, can be boring at times.

ILR Claim Rep

Claims Representative (Current Employee) Richardson, TX (US)

ProsThe benefits are great
    Chance for advancement
    Training was knowledgeable abs advanced
    Bonus structure
    Laid back and not overwhelming
    Family work balance

ConsThe pay is way low for the job we do. They continue to add more work on us but don't pay us for the extra work. Compared to other companies the post should be higher. When wanting to advance in the company it relies heavily in attendance. I've seen people with poor work ethic, sloppy speech but missed only one day get the promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen looking to promote go off quality of work and also the pay needs to be reconsidered for the amount of work ILR does considering we're the first point of contact and do most of the work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company to work for!

Office Assistant (Former Employee) Grand Blanc, MI (US)

ProsFreedom in job, flexible hours, friendly community

ConsBoring, outdated software, Office was sometimes unorganized

Solid

Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsVery flexible hours due to the small offices.
    Good starting pay
    Comfortable Good Base salary
    Keeps you focused because of the commission income.

ConsNot much room to move up. Start out is good, but you can easily make less as time goes on

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't matter since they are franchised, numbers are numbers and they are only focused on agent's numbers. Agents determine the pay so upper management isn't concerned on specific office staff numbers.

Company is very reputable, and financially secure.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL (US)

ProsOffers advancement with company training and licensing. Good benefits and perks.

ConsVery competitive: high goals. Must have knowledge of many products.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focus on clients.

It's not always Cliff Paul and Aaron Rodgers

ProsValuable knowledge, looks great on resume, household brand

ConsTough to get ahead, upward mobility severely limited, compensation plan can be rough.

Advice to Senior ManagementShifting towards the Aspirant program for hiring agents is smart, but not all aspirants are created and compensated equally. Agents have a large incentive to produce aspirants that are competent, why not invest in the aspirants themselves? Professional development and training should be part of a standard program to encourage success of aspirants.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!