State Farm Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014
1,561 Reviews

3.5
1,561 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 88 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

not bad

I worked at State Farm

Pros

not a bad company to work for

Cons

personal growth is relatively minimum

Customer Service Rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Earning potential was unlimited with bonus structure

Cons

Not much room for advancement in Agents office

Agent team member

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Office culture. Room to learn.

Cons

Have to deal with frustrated clients sometimes

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefit. Nice working environment. nice coworkers. Family oriented.

Cons

I do not find anything bad

Solid company going through some rough changes, but hiring, and has lots of opportunity.

Current Employee - Claim Representative
    Current Employee - Claim Representative

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

One of the best insurance companies to work for. Generally family oriented. Good pay and benefits with lots of opportunity IF you are willing to move or you live in an area that has a hub. Company supports continuing education and community involvement. Customer service is high priority. Company hires high quality employees and encourages long-time careers.

Cons

Company is going through lots of change and is moving operations and claims to large hubs. Work-life balance used to be very reasonable but is unbalanced now with all the changes going on. Work load is unmanageable and customer service is suffering.

Hire some temps or independents to get the company through this transition. Long-time, loyal, hard-working employees are suffering as is customer service. The ultimate goal is to improve customer service with the new model, but the company is going to lose customers and employees during the transition and the company reputation and ratings may suffer.

GOOD OVERALL EXPERIENCE OVER THE YEARS

Current Employee - Insurance Account Representative  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Insurance Account Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best part of the job is the relationships you build with clients. Some become like family. The office atmosphere is family like although some of the other reps can be really be underhanded.

Cons

Very little benefits because you are actually hired by the local agent. Luckily, I did get retirement for some of the years employed as well as medical reimbursement. Very little options for promotions.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Claim Processor  in  Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Claim Processor in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice facilities, paid vacation, good benefits, free access to state farm park for Bloomington, IL employees. They encourage employees to pursue Insurance education and will pay for the classes.

Cons

sometimes it feels as though management isn't listing to the employees. If they have a plan they don't want any negative feedback.

Company going through a lot of changes right now and it can be frustrating when management makes decisions without thinking about how it will actually work in the real world. It puts a lot of stress on the people who work with customers. My advise would be to take more time speaking with the employees who work with customers on a daily basis. If something is working don't waste time trying to redesign the process.

I've enjoyed my 5 years here.

Current Employee - Claim Service Assistant  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Claim Service Assistant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work-life balance; benefits are good. I like the changes that are taking place, but believe they could have been better executed.

Cons

Flexible work arrangements are nonexistent. Office culture may vary by department and manager. Opportunity for growth is limited.

Speak to your first-line employees before changing the workflow and process of those employees. What sounds good in theory does not allow play out well in practice.

Great company

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Job security
    Pay
    Benefits
    Advancement opportunities

Cons

Work Load can be heavy

Great Company but can be very different agent to agent.

Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER
    Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Build great relationships with customers, grow in your community, feel purposeful. Work/life balance of a regular 9-5. Uncapped commission.

Cons

The market area / agent you work for will determine how big your commission checks will be. Large rate increases and mass cancellations makes selling the value of State Farm difficult. You have to be a little greasy to be successful.

Updated policy provisions, guidelines, and rate increases are driving away long-tenured Mutual customers. Service and Claims only get you so far when Company X right down the road offers a much lower rate for the same coverage.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!