State Farm

www.statefarm.com

State Farm Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.5 1,480 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 88 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights
1,480 Employee Reviews

SF is THE Market Leader for P&C, but the New Agent Contract (AA05) can be very challenging ..... Do Your Homework!

Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee)

ProsAgent Compensation is truly uncapped - the harder you work and the more business (and the higher volume you write in ALL lines of business) you write - the more you will make. There is an opportunity to earn a SIGNIFICANT Scorecard Bonus each year. The general public is very familiar with the company, so new agents will have instant credibility and brand name recognition. If you can be a high performer you will be rewarded with trips around the world (Ambassador travel program).

ConsSummary: For the RIGHT PERSON the Agent opportunity can be everything they would want it to be - but I observed in myself and many other agents that it takes an extraordinary amount of focus, organization, time management, and teamwork, along with the ability to continually invest heavily in your business to be a consistent high producing agent.

Details: The AA05 Contact is a GROWTH-BASED compensation plan. SF will guarantee you a base level of P&C commissions, but an additional 3% has to earned / validated every year. This can be extremely challenging based on the market your office is in; or if there any restrictions SF has placed regarding underwriting or rates in your area. Additionally - life events such as the births of children, impaired health or deaths of loved ones, divorce, etc may require time away from the office and may take your 100% attention off of growing the business - which may mean that you will earn less next year than you did this year. The AA05 contract is genius from SF's point of view (because of variable comp you can never relax and be content with your existing book of business), but when it works against you as an agent it can be extremely frustrating!
    As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent. I became divorced during my time in agency, and when I ultimately won full custody of my daughter I ended up resigning from SF Agency a few years later as I found it extremely difficult to be fully vested in growing my agency, and meet my own standards of being a successful father.
    ALSO - if you are considering becoming an agent, DO YOUR HOMEWORK in regards to average premiums in any particular market area, as premiums can VARY WIDELY from state to state, and even within the same state. If I had my size book of business in SC or WV, instead of NC (where my agency was located) - my annual gross compensation would have likely been $50,000 or more higher! Not everyone wants to live in WV, but the difference in premiums (how commissions are derived) can be significant.
    Lastly, as an agent you will constantly be dealing with employees - hiring them, training them, firing them, etc. I would say that staffing issues are a universal challenge for most State Farm agents that want / need to perform at a fairly high level. Just know that on the front end!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider leveling the playing field in regards to AA05 comp - based on market area differences. I was an agent in a small, rural town in NC and there were not any new home communities being built near my office. As a whole people were moving away from my area, not into it. I felt disadvantaged by the SF AA05 agent's comp plan DESIGN because other agents in my state were in higher growth areas, such as the suburbs of Charlotte or Raleigh. When comp is based on growth and the market area has no natural growth, it is much more difficult to continue to grow an agency every year to maintain your standards of income on a year to year basis.

Customer service representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Springfield, MA (US)

Prosgreat people to work , and good place to advance career if willing to stick it out for a few years

Consmay have to deal with very cranky people which can ruin days. Also lots of tedious work to be that can get old after a while

Work for corporate, not the agent

ProsFairly flexible with schedule, good agents can offer a better work environment

ConsIf you work for the agent, you are at the mercy of the agent. Old school agents are typically more laid back. The new agents want results only, and it is not unheard of for someone to be fired within 3-4 weeks if they are hitting their quota. Salary and Commission are determined by agent. You're lucky if you get health insurance. There is also hardly anyway to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe team members are the real people doing the work. They should see some guide of benefit from corporate. They are, after all, the ones building the business. Agents are mostly just a figure,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, but rewarding.

Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat company, great work environment, comfortable atmosphere, great peers, good benefits and room for growth.

ConsExtremely long and tidious training.

Long-term Employee

Coordinator (Current Employee) Dunwoody, GA (US)

ProsFinancial strength, employee growth and development and work environment.

ConsLocation, and traffic to commute to work

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employee recognition for going above expectations

Great Experience

Claims Processor (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsAwesome team, wonderful work environment. Tremendous room for growth.

ConsI wish i could have stayed longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job!

Review

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Shreveport, LA (US)

ProsVery strong company. Will always be a player.

ConsI do not have any cons.

Great learning experience

ProsWork/Life Balance, and excellent open door policy.

ConsNot much excitement around the Insurance Industry, can be boring at times.

Great company to work for!

Office Assistant (Former Employee) Grand Blanc, MI (US)

ProsFreedom in job, flexible hours, friendly community

ConsBoring, outdated software, Office was sometimes unorganized

Great experience when in school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat people to work with.

Consvery strict company and demanding .

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!