State Farm

Updated 5 March 2015
1,984 Reviews
3.5
1,984 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,090 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

not bad

I worked at State Farm

Pros

not a bad company to work for

Cons

personal growth is relatively minimum

Great company with excellent values that truly cares about customers and employees alike

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Uness you work in a production environment, like Claims or Underwriting, you have an awesome work/life balance. State Farm gives their employees great benefits. A 401(k) AND a pension. Dental, Vision, Life, Health, Tuition Reimbursement, adoption assistance, and others that just aren't on the top of my mind at the moment. Excellent opportunity for advancement, career development.

Cons

If you work in a call center for State Farm, you have a very different experience. You still have great benefits. Even if you only work part-time, you still get paid time off, health, life, vision, dental, tuition reimbursement - the works. However, your work/life balance is significantly degraded in comparison to other positions in the company. The work also can get very mundane and boring. Still a great company, and really still good jobs, just not as good as the rest of the company enjoys.

Reposition yourself to move faster. The company needs to be more proactive and less reactive. The company culture needs to be shifted a little to embrace change a little more easily.

Great Company with long term Career Options

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is a great place to build your career. It has great benefits, defined pension plan, compensation is above the competetive range for similar jobs in the market areas. You can decide to switch your career while continuing to build on your benefits.

Cons

State Farm expects top professionalism, if you are someone who is always late, makes up excuses or tries to get out of work, this is not the place for you.

Continue to build an environment where employees love to work everyday.

Great Position

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great environment, plenty of learning. agent is great to work with in our brand new office.

Cons

I was very disappointed to learn, that when working for an independent agent, that you are responsible for purchasing your own health insurance and you have absolutely no type of benefits.

There really isn't any info to share with upper management. I work for an independent agent who is opening her own office, so even though the name is a big name you're working for a small business.

Amazing opportunity to grow both professionally and personally.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in River Edge, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in River Edge, NJ (US)

I worked at State Farm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for State Farm for 2 years and left to go to graduate school. The agent I worked for (Anita DaSilva) is extremely knowledgeable and caring. She will support and teach you all the skills you need to know to be successful. An extremely wonderful person to work for and should feel blessed if you have an opportunity to work for her and for this business. State Farm has amazing travel opportunities and supports your career as well as encourages professional growth. If you're willing to work hard and practice the patience needed to stick through the education and training process (which are skills needed for any job in order to be successful) you will "reap the benefits" at the end. Like any job, you get out what you put in. A great learning experience.

Cons

Success comes easy for those who puts in the hard work and studies to pass exams for different licenses; however, it takes time to get there! Be patient.

None. Keep up the good work!

Agent life!

I have been working at State Farm (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome biz. Great support. I took the time to look into being an agent and it has gone well.

Cons

Need more leeds. The management makes us pay for leeds and our own overhead. Advertising would help.

Support more leeds

I have had opportunities to move up in State Farm. It is a very good strong company to work for.

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Benefits package and time off is very good once you have been working for State Farm for more than 5 years.

Cons

Work Life Balance isn't what it used to be.

State farm agency is a very demanding environment. The pay is average.

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Good work environment.
    Many resources available.
    Ease of communication between departments.

Cons

The pay is low considering much of the company's success depends on the success of the agencies..
    Little to no benefits

Not much chances to advance other owning an agency,

Interning at State Farm was an excellent learning experience.

Former Intern - Agent Intern in Jupiter, FL (US)
    Former Intern - Agent Intern in Jupiter, FL (US)

I worked at State Farm as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoyed my summer internship at State Farm where I was able to grow and contribute my skills in a professional setting.The experience offered personal growth and a solid work-life balance. I was able to ask questions and learn something new each day.

Cons

Overall I enjoyed my experience at State Farm. Despite my positive experience, I did not gain full exposure to the more than one many facets of business they operate in.

I generally agree with the management strategy implemented at State Farm Insurance but I would suggest a more organized internship program with specifically detailed responsibilities and learning practices for entry level workers.