State Farm Reviews

Updated 16 October 2014
1,664 Reviews
3.5
1,664 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 98 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 24 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is a great company to work for. With a small-office atmosphere you are really given the chance to connect with your other co-workers. It is also a great feeling to work for the number 1 insurance company in the nation.

Cons

A good portion of the pay is commission, so you never know exactly what your paycheck is going to be. It can also sometimes be stressful to try to meet company goals.

Great sales experience

Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Kent, WA (US)
    Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Kent, WA (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great balance of work and life. Was able to take the time I needed to be with my family. Was fully supported by management at all times.

Cons

Insurance is a tough sale. Many people do not want to discuss insurance or their needs with you. Not a State Farm only issue. That is an industry type compliant.

Great place to work... But pay depends on the agent you are working for

Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Roseville, MI (US)
    Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Roseville, MI (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with a great repore with customers since State Farm has been the industry leader for over 30yrs.

Cons

This all depends on the agent you work for . Usually the bigger agents provide benefits and are usually more patient with employees new to the industry. However new agents have a lot of pressure on their backs to produce this may lead to an uncomfortable atmosphere.

Response Center Technician

Current Employee - Response Center Technician in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Response Center Technician in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This Is a great company to work for. They have excellent pay and a good culture. I started off my first year as a CRC rep and eventually moved up to a Response Center Tech (SF version of a help desk tech) within a matter for 3 years. Best company I worked for so far

Cons

Like with any company especially older and established companies like state farm you will run into a kind of "clickish"circle especially with some of the floor management but nothing that will hinder or impede your work. Also If you don't have a bachelors degree they make it hard for qualified people to move up In some of the mid to upper roles.

Just because someone have a 4 year degree in arts don't mean they would be able to do IT or even someone that's been with the company 30 plus years without a degree don't mean they are qualified for a position just because they've been at the company for a while. Relax some requirements for the mid level positions.

El Paso CRC

Former Employee - CRC CUSTOMER SERVICE in El Paso, TX (US)
    Former Employee - CRC CUSTOMER SERVICE in El Paso, TX (US)

I worked at State Farm part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of work (especially on Saturday) if you are not lazy and afraid of being busy. Avoid clock watching, it makes your day drag. My Bosses were very helpful and answered any questions I had about the company policies whenever there was a question. The best part was the time off for Pot lucks during mandatory meetings which made them welcome. I always enjoyed talking with customers even when they were unreasonable and rude. I will certainly miss the friends I made here. Your career is determined by your own actions and opportunities are plenty. It just depends on how you present yourself to the management who will support your decision to ascend if you have what it takes.

Cons

Clock watchers and lazy people who want to get paid a mint but are either regularly found sleeping at their desk or always just walking around pretending they are the "working" on something then become disgruntled when they get fired.

Love it!

Current Employee - Office Associate in Canton, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Office Associate in Canton, MI (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for State Farm. You get what you pay for and State Farm is definitely worth it! They are right there when claims occur and if it is something the policy will not cover, they work with you to help you find a company to correct the damage!

Cons

Focused on trying to help the customer as much as possible. Just keeping them informed about their coverages and giving them options to change it if they want.

Maybe, they should stop trying to roll out a new system every year and use that money to try to lower premiums for our customers. Other than that, no complaints.

Pretty good overall

Current Employee - Systems Intern
    Current Employee - Systems Intern

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It varies, but I interns are overall pretty free to develop as they see fit.
    Flexible hours.
    A few fun activities throughout the semester.

Cons

Progress can be slow and people in the company often don't email back if you have questions.
    Lots of paperwork to do simple things.
    Lots of restrictions on what we're allowed to do, such as download software on the provided machines.
    Not a ton of feedback, as projects leads often don't have a programing background and you may only be around fellow interns who know as much as you.

I have had a great overall experience working there for many years.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love that they are strong in keeping work life balance and company promotions of doing the right thing.

Cons

I am not fond of the leadership style; feel middle leadership is antiquated and relatively no vision.

Start to hire those people who are less like you. Start filling your weakness with those who have them as strengths instead of more leaders with the same strengths

On-Site Supervisor

Former Employee - On-Site Supervisor (Kelly Services) in Dunwoody, GA (US)
    Former Employee - On-Site Supervisor (Kelly Services) in Dunwoody, GA (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, the building, the amenities. The overall atmosphere was wonderful.

Cons

Supervisors have a few too many employees to manage.

Keep up the great work!!

Excellent employer, cares about employees

Current Employee - Communications in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Communications in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, annual merit raises, annual bonuses, comprehensive benefits package, customer-centered culture that rewards performance, opportunity for advancement. I've been with the company 10+ years and have had many opportunities and job changes that have kept it challenging and interesting. I highly recommend this employer.

Cons

Lack of flexibility in work arrangements, can be difficult to get into leadership, low paid vacation (3 weeks until 15 years). Some areas have highly structured, high stress environment.