State Street

2.7
1,353 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Good work life balance with potential to work from home or create a flexible schedule (in 128 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 39 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 55 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointed at the general lack of recognition

Current Employee - Mug in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Mug in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Nice people to work with and the canteen is very good.

The benefits package is quite good.

Good facilities for cyclists, runners etc.

You can learn a lot to begin with depending on the department you're in.

Cons

There can be excessive unpaid overtime - not suitable for anyone in a relationship and/or with children.

Showing ability or talent can be to your detriment as a lot more responsiblity and expectations are put on you without being promoted to that level or getting any remuneration or recognition for it. Their pay structure is very poor. Salaries are very low and there's little opportunity for promotion.

We've had zero pay rise for the last two years. Not even a pay rise to match inflation, nothing, a big fat 0. This was despite doing good work and working unpaid overtime that cut losses and expanded our capacity to take on more business. Furthermore bonuses are extremely low. I got a "Above and Beyond Award" and a "Street's Ahead Award", which was nice. A pat on the back is always appreciated but never seems to be converted to any form

Their elaborate appraisal system is fundamentally flawed. It penalises those who excel and encourages below average efforts. At the annual appraisal, an employee is given a score from 1 - 5 depending on their performance, however a manager is not allowed to give any score other than a 3 (average). There are a very limited number of 2s and 4s to give out across the board, thereby the distribution of scores fits a tight distribution curve. This means that those who perform well above their remit exceeding all their performance goals are give a rating of average rather than good or excellent, while those who are below par are also given a rating of average. The result is that those who put in the effort are disheartened and demoralised, and employees generally start to disengage from the whole process. Performance review time in State Street is not a happy time.

Not a career but a job. Career progression is woefully lacking.

A colleague said to me, "State Street is a place where careers come to die". Unfortunately there's a large element of truth to what he/she said.

Reward your employees who work hard and show loyalty to StateStreet, or they will simply leave and not come back. You'll earn a bad reputation and soon you'll not be able to attract anyone of any merit to come and work for you. Also the talent

Furthermore stop telling us a load of bs the whole time. You might find that honesty would be appreciated. You'll achieve nothing by insulting our intelligence.

When its good, its alright, when its bad, it is hell.

Current Employee - Corporate Actions Processor in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Corporate Actions Processor in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Best reason to work for State Street is the free gym membership and the canteen which serves low price meals. I guess the communication is good and they do have some good programs. The people are ok to work with however our department lost a lot of experienced employees due to other companies offering more money. State Streets answer was to do nothing and not adjust the pay structure. This has led a number of staff questioning if they will remain at State Street after the bonus is handed out. If they pay rise and bonus is poor, I can see that State Street revolving door to keep on spinning.

Cons

Poor pay that does not get reviewed with Market standards. Most employees paid £4-5k what they would usually get elsewhere. Poor Bonus despite our CEO telling us we are showing record profits and this is confirmed by articles in newspapers about how poor the bonus structure is. Our management structure is poor, whereby people promoted are not really known to be good managers. I would say possibly 2/3 out of 8 managers you can have are poor, lack direction and dont know what the word support means.

My advice would be that State Street has the potential to be a great company to work for. All the elements are there however you must raise your pay and you must raise you bonus structure. Unfortunately, Barclays bank, Blackrock, CitiBank and FNZ are already stealing the most valued employees from our department. I would begin to rethink the tactics since you are wanting to look to become the best in the market. It wont happen with temps who are promoted after they have a glittering career doing all the simple tasks.

Decent Compensation, Good Benefits, Arthritic Management

Former Employee - Managing Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Managing Director in London, England

I worked at State Street

Pros

Good Compensation and benefits packages for all employees irrespective of rank, including health care etc.
    International mobility for those that want it

Cons

No chance for advancement, senior jobs are kept for the buddies and god help you if you want to break into it.
    Bad communication culture

Let up and coming talent come through and mentor them, not putting them down
    Improve communication and let people know what decisions are being made and why

State Street- Not the best; Not the worst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Very large organisation with scope for movement across investment management services and beyond
    Friendly, relaxed environment to work in

Cons

As a long term contractor, there can be limited opportunities to develop skills outside of those used in day to day functions

Upper management need to understand the day to day implications of their ruthless cost cutting initiatives of the past few years

Potential to be so much more

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Recent upturn in client focus due to market downturn. Overdue but the opportunity to start focusing on quality rather than 'ticking the boxes' is positive. Watch this space.

Cons

Fragmented departments. Seems a bit like mission impossible at times, unless a solution path to a problem is clearly defined they all seem to disavow all knowledge or ownership.
    Over abundance of middle management & VPs -hampering effectiveness.

Slow down with the outsourcing! The middle management & VPs that are executing it are flying by the seat of their pants & not planning out the details. Keep the focus on the client & what they need, not just the SS bottom line.

State Street - lots to learn

Current Employee - Operations Associate in City of London, England
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in City of London, England

I have been working at State Street

Pros

There is a good mix of people, from all walks of life. From my experience I'd say that 90% of my colleagues are an absolute pleasure to workwith, they work hard and during times when the chips have been down it's been the morale of my colleague and everyone pulling together that has got everyone through it. State Street is also a good place for opening doors for peopl who have had no experience or exposure to the world of finance. To be honest the good points are easily counted on one hand - on a plus note ,they are "trying" to improve things.

Cons

Where do I start...number one downside is the systems!!!! You find you spend most of your day shouting, yelling screaming at your computer. For a company which prides itslef on being the biggest lender, it could do whole lot more work on system developement sand improvements. Another major downside is upward progression - there is very little, you often feel that you have to wait for someone to move up before any kind of opportunity occurs for you to progress, I know this view is shared by many on my team - and as it continues year after year, it increases resentment.

If a good is done well, you should show some form of appreciation or gratitude. Sometime all it takes is a "thank you"!!!

Big enough to slowly drown in, unless you die of frustration first.

Former Employee - Fund Analyst - Trustees in London, England
    Former Employee - Fund Analyst - Trustees in London, England

I worked at State Street

Pros

The size of the company means there are opportunities to move internally both domestically and internationally.

Cons

State Street is one of the worst companies I have worked for in terms of employee benefits and perks. The company is extremely aggressive with cost-cutting to the detriment of its' employees.

Stop outsourcing non-core activities (facilities, IT etc) to the detriment of service quality. Be reasonable with salaries.

Depends what department or manager you have

Current Employee - Officer in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Officer in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on what manager or department you are in, the experience can be very rewarding. In my 4 years here, I've worked with some really fun, sarcastic, smart and interesting people. Seriously, everyone I've worked with at State Street is so dramatic and sarcastic and I enjoyed it. If you put in the work, if you drink the "kool aid" you'll get promoted.
    Flex time. Work from home, 4 day work week. The company (again depending on department) is very flexible.
    Diversity. State Street loves diversity. If your gay, black, purple, transgender, identify as a turtle, you'll be welcomed with open arms. No one cares, nor should they!
    Its easy to apply to different internal jobs at State Street. If you hate your job, wait a year and post for a new internal position. State Street likes promoting from within.
    The people. You'll meet some great friends.

Cons

Pay is so low compared to industry standards. I left State Street for a 40% raise.

Pay industry standards so the young smart people don't leave to your competitors.

Intern

Current Employee - Undergraduate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Undergraduate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at State Street as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities to interact with employees and get a feel for a possible department that would be a good employment fit.

Cons

Some tasks are tedious and isolated.

Heavily dependent on your group.

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are great which include time to work from home.
    Many of the people are very nice with executives and leaders very accessible.
    The benefits are excellent and the website is well designed and easy to use.
    A good starting point for someone wanting to a career in the financial industry.

Cons

The pay isn't very good at all. On the low end of industry standard.
    Strange working hours can make it difficult to have a personal life.

Reconsider the compensation packages to become more competitive within the business community.