Steinhafels

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary Steinhafel

Good Company

Home Furnishing Consultant (Current Employee) Madison, WI (US)

ProsGreat people
    Make $30,000+ a year working part time if your good
    Family owned
    Free lunch on Saturdays (and not just subs and pizza... Good food!)
    Flexible scheduling

ConsAlways work weekends
    Top earners are less likely to receive disciplinary action for breaking floor rules.
    Acceptable performance standards must be met each quarter.
    HAVE to sell protection plans and design packages. It can be stressful!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Sales Associates to leave early from time to time without any of the guff. We work on 100% commission, if a customer hasn't walked in the store in 2 hours why are you keeping us all? Be creative and make up fun furniture /vendor knowledge games or store tagging challenges to determine which employee(s) of the handful inquiring, gets an early out.

Little Value in Employees

Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) Waukesha, WI (US)

ProsThe flexibility of scheduling was nice. Networking provided through employment as excellent.

ConsTreatment of employees was sub-par. An inability to hear a good a idea and test it out, rigid environment to work in where change was slow. Constant turn-over an moving of management.

Pretty boring work, sales employees often created messes just to make the sale and then expected customer service representatives to clean it up and deal with angry customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the employees you have more.

Great place to work!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI (US)

ProsSteinhafels is a well run, family owned company. They give their employees lots of tools to do their job well. If you have the skills, you can make really good money.

ConsNo benefits for part timers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is too busy to be saddled with training new people. They are constantly getting pulled in 50 different directions. They need to assign a dedicated trainer on the sales floor.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great work environment

ProsA great work/life balance. Still has a lot of the benefits of a family owned business---you are actually a person here. It's nice to work in a store that customers love so much....Owners and directors are personally involved and know the sales team on an individual basis.

ConsCross team communication can be a challenge.

Exceptional company great pay, great balance

Corp Office (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI (US)

ProsFamily "engaged" owned company. Owners remain close to the business and seek to understand issue that affect associate experience

ConsCompany growth is dependent on execution and buy in of strategic plan

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage and listen to associates

Typical furniture sales

ProsSales people have opportunity to make money in furniture stores
    Recognized name
    Good benefits

ConsHigh Pressure
    Ever increasing hours
    Little home time

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up a bit on employees. People are starting to burn out

Tired of the meat grinder.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI (US)

ProsGood pay for a retail job. The job is to meet and talk to new people every day, so can be a lot of fun.

ConsSales management. They believe in the meat-grinder approach to staffing with motivation through write-ups. The bottom 20% of each department gets a warning or a write up every month (whether they've hit their minimums or not) as "performance management." Also, commission-only sales so you always feel the need to watch your back. If that weren't bad enough, the Steinhafels want their *salaried* managers to sell a third as much as salespeople, pitting the management against the sales force, so you again have to watch your back. Even the top salespeople don't feel appreciated by this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't take any suggestions seriously anyway. ESPECIALLY not from a salesperson.

Interesting summer job

Laborer (Former Employee)

ProsRespectable company, employee discount, flexibility with schedule

ConsPoor communication from upper management to outside employees, early start time for outside work

Advice to Senior ManagementMust do a better job communicating to the laborers if something needs to be done a certain way and by a certain time.

Excellent company to work for

Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) Waukesha, WI (US)

ProsVery good leadership
    good pay and benefits
    Many perks

ConsCan not think of anything
    Sales is commission pay but that is expected

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job

Comfortable, social environment but very high sales expectations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kenosha, WI (US)

ProsStore environment is beautiful, very well-cleaned and designed. Good employee discounts on furniture. Company will spare no expense to make sure the employees are given what tools they need to complete their job to the best of their abilities.

ConsWork atmosphere is negatively competitive due to sales quotas and poor market. Some on the management team try to rule with an iron fist.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more positive feedback and encouragement, acknowledge jobs well-done. Use constructive criticism along with professional respect that can promote personal growth rather than turn employees off.

Worked for Steinhafels? Contribute to the Community!