Steven Madden

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld

Ed Rosenfeld

Pros:
  • "Fun, great associates, great discount, free shoes, store contests,"
    in 8 reviews
  • "amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Hard to get raise, not always best upper management"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good work experience

Production Assistant (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden as an intern for less than a year

ProsPaid internship! Paid hour lunch.

ConsLong hours and commuting.
Cliques.

Busy all the time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Steven Madden

Prossell more shoes- make more money

Consnot a lot of hours

Fun place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden part-time for more than a year

Prosamazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically.

Consnot the best compensation, good for a college student

Advice to Senior Managementpay your employees more!

Definitely a competitive environment, but all positive!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time for more than a year

ProsInsofar as working here, the company really takes care of their employees. Having been working here the past year, there has been a lot of growth from within the company. As for promotions, if one's numbers show in black and white, there is no reason (aside from availability of position) for them not to be promoted within the company.

Amazing discounts help as well!

ConsHours can be straining at times, especially for students who work here to support themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a suggestion forum for employees to place their input. As great as the company is, there is always room for improvement.

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Steven Madden

ProsAmazing and friendly place to work

ConsVery by the book

Not somewhere to stick around for the long run

Member of Management Team (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time

ProsThis was a great stepping stone, they give the management staff free reign creatively and it pays off when the stores do well. The commision rate earned by management and full time employees was good considering the price of the product.
The co-workers for the most part were great we all got along very well and enjoyed working together. They tend to hire people who are sales driven and the environment in the stores reflects that.
For a company that still has leaps and bounds to go it helps that the customer's are great, very passionate about the product and from a commission standpoint the product sells itself!

ConsThe pay was well below market value given that this is a globally recognized fashion brand. The company is owned and operated in Canada by people who have no real sense of today's retail market who really need to get with the times. They are unable to keep good staff because they are not willing to compensate talent accordingly - undervalued employees and gossiping is something you will find in every single store location.
When I was hired here I trained myself and used what I had learned from previous companies I had worked for to make sure I was successful given the limited training that was provided to me.
There was no growth above being a Store Manager no matter what positions they said they would "create" - it was evident because the "district supervisor" was not actually fully integrated into the role, having to manage new store openings and work 12 hour days to keep the stores in the GTA from "falling apart" because they didn't seem to trust the employees that were there.
The supervisor for the GTA was completely overwhelmed by the pressure put on them from upper management (head office) to the point where they regularly had nervous breakdown's and crying fits in the stores. This individual is under qualified and far too emotionally involved in their role making them difficult to approach and impossible to respect.
They lack in proper HR practices in relation to how they screen potential candidates and why they choose to let people go.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs mentioned above, upper management (eg. Director of Retail & CEO) need to get with the times. They need to appreciate the talent that they have in the stores and value their skills not only from a development and advancement standpoint, but with financial compensation (throwing free shoes at people does not pay the bills) .
INVEST IN PEOPLE - take the risk instead of treating all of your employees like they can be replaced without a care, it would create better moral in your stores and would guarantee to boost revenue.
Fire or demote the GTA supervisor, they are a ticking time bomb - and it doesn't represent the brand well.

Loved the company originally, just many changes lately

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours, company expanding so more job opportunites (country wide), awesome coworkers, fun atmorsphere

ConsEven with new stores opening left and right, it's been hard to move up at the retail level. Many district changes, making it hard for your work to get noticed. Not much opporunity for pay increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your retail management! Notice when things get done. They're the backbone of this company.

Not a bad company

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time for more than a year

ProsGives alot room for creative insight. I work really close with corporate even as an assistant manager

ConsThey picked a pretty unorganized SM for our location

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor who your store managers are more closely. Its hard to do all of the work and the SM get credited for it

A start point leading you to better!

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)
Long Is City, NY (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time for less than a year

ProsThe perks for employees discount would be the discount which is 50% off and having access to merchandise that aren't held in any other store. Working on Bleecker Street gives to perks to the neighborhood discount with other retail stores.

ConsThe cons are there is much growth within the company. You work every Saturday which is required of the management team until taken off which falls under you time off. Great thing to take from working here is the push it gives you. You learn how to manage quickly as well as being more direct.

Nothing Spectacular

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden part-time for more than a year

ProsFairly straightforward duties, money is great during the holidays

ConsThey do not promote internally, very unprofessional environment

Worked for Steven Madden? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steven Madden reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld. All 58 reviews are posted anonymously by Steven Madden employees.