Steven Madden

Updated 17 October 2014
3.2

Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld
Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun, great associates, great discount, free shoes, store contests, (in 9 reviews)

• amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to get raise, not always best upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

a learning experience

Former Employee - Receptionist Executive Assistant in Long Island City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Receptionist Executive Assistant in Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (less than an year)

Pros

personal growth and experience to move forward in a better position

Cons

training and management, the way new employees are treated almost like they are bullied

when conversation are had with human resource it needs to be handled accordingly

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Long Island City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most amazing internship. The internship was about 8 weeks long, 9am - 6pm (long hours but I was busy the whole time). I was not just given "busy work" - was able to contribute to the team I worked with. Very friendly and helpful co-workers.

Cons

Corporate office is located in Long Island City, Queens - so the commute was a little rough.

Great customer service experience which provided me with experience

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The ease of selling such a strong brand, bonus's for managers who ran successful store and the employee discount we all pros. There was also a great connection with corporate decision makers in the New York office.

Cons

The time off policy would effect you social life since there were very strict restrictions about working on weekends and during the peak holiday season. The company also required there associates to perform their own store inventories.

Consider more opportunities for leadership outside of working the store. I know there are limits since the corporate offices are in New York but there are ways of expanding such as account reps who deal with department store in select regions, more trainers within your districts and encouragement for managers to relocate to the corporate office.

very satisfied

I have been working at Steven Madden

Pros

Company is on the move

Cons

Company is growing very fast

Terrible management and very much a high school popularity contest.

Former Employee - Stock Associate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Steven Madden part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discounts on shoes, plus a free pair for every new season. If working in sales, the job is commission based.

Cons

Management lacks consistency, fraternizes with employees, and multiple cases of sexual harassment not taken seriously when HR was informed. It has an extremely high school politics atmosphere. Hours are cut for sales associates if they don't meet sometimes very high goals in sales.

Take a closer look at the store managers and assistant managers you are hiring.

LIC Corp Office

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Long Island City, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Long Island City, NY (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free breakfast on Friday! Salary positions, learn a lot, meet a lot of ppl, get to work in the city for shoe shows and get to travel out of town to ATL, Vegas, and Chicago sometime

Cons

Micromanaged, work overload, not enough pay, no place to grow, very cliquish, must kiss up to get promoted, a lot of false promises

Create a development plan, pay more money

Need better management !

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden part-time (more than an year)

Pros

GREAT DISCOUNTS! 50% OFF , 65% OFF DURING CHRISTMAS, AND FREE 75$ GIFT CARD FOR CHRISTMAS, LETS NOT FORGET "MADDEN MONEY!"

Cons

I worked in the NYC SM for 2.5 years. I always met sales goal, never called out, never late. One of the Managers because I wasn't his "favorite" he never used to give me more than 14.5 hrs. (happened with alot of my other coworkers) he then would hire other Sale Associates and give them Full Time instead of giving anyone else who been in the company for longer. No room for growth what so ever unless you one of the management favorite… BTW Min wage plus commission if you don't sale.. you then would have a horrible check!

STOP FAVORITISM !

intern

I have been working at Steven Madden

Pros

Great company and willing to help you succeed.

Cons

No cons I love this company

Colorado owned Steve Madden Independent

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Access to fashion trends and great boot styles. Access to store management technique and overall great experience in a small locally owned company. You will learn a lot about sales psychology and marketing techniques. You will learn how to deal with difficult personalities.

Cons

Awful management. The owner is not someone worth working for. Terrible attitude. Hides behind the facet of "helping his employees with anything they need." Constantly puts employees in tears with brutal management style. Extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. Extremely high turn over rate. Few last longer than 6 months. Long hours, sometimes 12-13 hour shifts @ $8 an hour, %5 commission.

Learn how to manage professionally and appropriately and perhaps you won't have such a high turn over rate. Make people want to be there instead of hating their jobs. Try a less brutal/abrasive approach to teaching your employees how you want them to perform. No one likes working for a tyrant.

Enjoyable experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, fun, great merchandise, company values, great staff

Cons

Not too much room for promotions when in school, also hard to balance both.