Stop & Shop

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker

Carl Schlicker

Pros:
  • "Union benefits for part time workers and pretty flexible hours"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Flexible hours they can be understanding of students needs and change in schedules"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Workers struggle for years in getting a full-time position from a part-time position"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Low pay, weather you have experience as a cashier or not you start off with minimum wage"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company but too top heavy.

Full Time Meat Clerk (Current Employee)
Everett, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's a full time job if you are lucky enough to get promoted. The benefits are excellent. 4 weeks vacation. 9 sick days and 3 personal holidays. The pay is decent considering what I do. I get to meet ALL types of people which are 95% nice. I work with a good crew in the meat room. My boss is AWESOME. The working conditions are not bad.

ConsUpper management are not personable with employees, almost like robots. How much does it take to say good morning to people? Not too much room to move up in the company unless your life revolves around the job. Work 6 days a week even though Sunday is time and a half. The mood in my store is very miserable but I try to make the best of it. As far as having a life outside of work......When my time is up it's back MY LIFE. I don't really associate with too many co workers because everyone LOVES to gossip just like anywhere else. My advice to any high school kid or 18-20 something is don't get stuck unless you want to become a manager and really enjoy dealing with people day in and day out. DON'T GET STUCK.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat happened to having a personality and actually treating your workers like human beings. Don't get me wrong though. There are excellent Store Managers and Assistants out there but the team I have now are not likeable people besides 2 of them. Don't demand respect if you are not going to give. I've been told for the past 7 years that they want me to be a Meat Manager but they just tell me that to keep me around. I'm not dumb. As far as walking up to the office I feel that I couldn't talk to my Store Manager because I don't think he knows how to handle tough situations. In closing, just show us some respect and don't be so negative.

Working for Big Brother

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time for more than 8 years

ProsReasonable pay, ok benefits, good learning experience

ConsMicro-managing and you don't have authority over what you assume you would

Advice to Senior ManagementA department is only as good as ALL of it's employees.

its alright...

Front End Cashier (Current Employee)
New Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 5 years

ProsOnce you are hired very flexible. You can change when you can work and they have to make that work due to the union. The people I work with are amazing and you will make a great amount of life long friends. The customers are alright, work is very easy. Paid vacations and sick pay is great.

ConsThe managers stress way too much. Its a good job for high school and college kids who need flexibility but the managers act like this is your career when its just a job to you and its annoying. Managers also seem to think you are dumber then you are no matter what. Hard to move up and when you do the pay raises slim to none.

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out.

Good customer service

Cashier, Floral, Bakery, Gmhbc, Overnight Crew Member, (Current Employee)
Vernon, CT (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat management, friendly and helping environment!

ConsSometimes people power trip! And sometimes you get rude customers you just don't know how to deal with!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive reviews on your employees! Help them advance through out the company! Don't sit in your office all day! Become one with your customers and employees to create a happier environment! Not all stores do this. Communication also lacks In this company at times and can be upsetting given certain situations.

Not awful, not great

Cashier (Former Employee)
Somers, NY (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for less than a year

Prosfriendly coworkers, pretty easy job

Consangry customers, management does play favorites, gossip goes around

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone fairly.

Stop and S hop

Stock Person (Former Employee)
Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits for part time workers.

ConsThere are some people that don't pull their weight.

Pretty decent part-time job, but not many opportunities for advancement.

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 5 years

ProsI enjoy working at my Stop & Shop. The fellow employees are really nice, and you can usually get as many hours as you'd like provided that you push to get trained in as many departments as possible. The benefits are hard to beat with paid vacation, sick days, personal holidays, time and a half on Sundays and holidays. Most of the management team is usually pretty easy to talk to, even if they don't have enough power to truly change anything.

ConsThe union makes it impossible to get rid of bad employees. We've had people come to work stoned, and/or drunk on a regular basis, but unless they are caught red-handed the union will not allow us to do anything about it. You basically can't get promoted unless you are willing to move to a different store every two years for the rest of your career here. If you get promoted in-store (and by that I mean front-end supervisor) your pay doesn't really go up enough to balance the increased responsibility and you have no means to control your employees. Corporate is pretty out of touch of what goes on in the stores, but when they come to visit, they don't really bother to try to find out. They glad-hand the management, and then tell them to cut hours. It's not worth the gas money for them to come out.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the quality of who you hire, and promote those among your company that work hard. No appreciation leads to poor morale, and lazy employees. If you want to know what's going on, come up to the employees one-on-one during your visits and really talk to us. We love to gossip, and we know what's really going on. Trust me, it'll be more accurate than your yearly surveys.

Good job and you get to work with your coworkers!

Cashier (Former Employee)
Union, NJ (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for more than a year

ProsAverage pay
Manager is kind
Working with other nice employees

ConsHard work ( but that is how every job is nowadays)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

great

I have been working at Stop & Shop

ProsAmazing people, customers and co workers

Conslots of work with little help

worthwhile

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
South Setauket, NY (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 5 years

Prosflexible schedule. good money for minimal work.

Consmanagers breathing down your neck. make it more serious than it is.

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stop & Shop reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Stop & Shop CEO Carl Schlicker. All 278 reviews are posted anonymously by Stop & Shop employees.