Stream Global Services

Updated 17 October 2014
2.8

Stream Global Services Chairman & CEO Kathryn Marinello
Kathryn Marinello

Pros
  • My role was odd, supporting both top execs and mid-level call center folks (in 18 reviews)

• Once you are past the entry level stuff (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No employee can manage a family or a life working at this call center (in 19 reviews)

• There are no raises just a bonus that less than 5% of employees ever reach (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Good career opportunities and pay

Current Employee - Direct Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It has a good career ladder and friendly supportive people aswell as an attractive bonus package for hard workers

Cons

Can be boring at times and people are packed into the centre like sardines and it can make time drag in

tech support

Current Employee - Tech Support Professional in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Tech Support Professional in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you can have as long as calls as you want the people are great. you don't have to deal with the billing and other issues

Cons

convergys took over the company and running it into the ground. it was way better as just stream i think, but it is a call center! I enjoyed the android operations systems tech support and fixed many issues. to bad they think that you are just a number even if you perform very well, you are all the same and very disspoable.

Good to have in your CV

Current Employee - Customer Service and Technical Support Representative in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

just good to acquire experience as the rest you have no benefits other than you wages around 20.500 year

Cons

no benefits other than basic wages, lots of better companies around, if you have a choice don't work here.

WRSC

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn a lot about the cellular industry. Potential to make lifelong friendships. Relaxed work environment for the most part. If you're lucky enough to have team manager that likes you and values your work ethic they will truly fight to get you what you need.

Cons

Inconsistent. Management seems somewhat engaged with concerns of employees but does very minimum to resolve issue. Like most places corporate jobs "drinking the kook-aid" is the only way to improve your everyday work experience. Incentives are constantly changing and metric seem almost impossible to meet at times. Too many stipulations associated with rewarding non-salary employees

Good job for the right person

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Lots of positive feedback: If you do well, you'll be rewarded for it with recognition and other little prizes. This is one of the biggest things I miss about working there.
    -Lots of people: Working in such a large company you can meet some really cool people, I made lots of friends, and lots of people, myself included, meet girlfriends/boyfriends/future spouses there.
    -No physical work: As someone who has back problems, being able to sit all day is pretty nice
    -Some opportunity for advancement: They will tell you that there's lots of room for advancement, but as someone who was a very successful employee in my position, I never saw any potential to further my career there.
    -Lots of early morning and late night shifts if that's what works for you
    -Work by yourself: You're able to work by yourself for the most part and not rely on your coworkers to make sure your job is done properly.
    -You will always know exactly how you're doing. The company was great with communicating to it's employees on how they are doing, if you need to cut down on your breaks or get your handle time down, you will know exactly how much to the second.
    -If you do well you can pick your own shift, which is pretty great

Cons

-Big changes with very little notice: contracts will end or be significantly changed with very little notice. Hours cut or changed, jobs outsourced to other, cheaper, locations, and being thrown from one position to another with little or no say.
    -Extreme hours, lots very early, very late, or overnight shifts. Often you are forced to work these shifts and have no say. Once showed up to work only to be told that I was hours early and am now working until 1am. Other times I was given only days notice that my shift would now start at 6am and my days off would be changed from sat-sun to tues-wed.
    -They often lie about what the job entails. For example, I was told that my my position would not involve pushing sales at all, only to find out that almost the entire job was sales based.
    -Very little communication. You never really know what's going on with the company.
    -Lots of people: Just as I met lots of really cool people there, I also met a lot of really awful people
    -Work by yourself: As much as this can be a good thing, there's also a lot of pressure because if you make a mistake, no one can bail you out and you will be entirely at fault.
    -Very little pay and poor benefits

Good company before the buyout. No idea now.

Former Employee - Computer Services Coordinator in Eagan, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Computer Services Coordinator in Eagan, MN (US)

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My role was odd, supporting both top execs and mid-level call center folks. The power and autonomy of the role were great, and the things I learned from some execs and from an international collection of IT experts were invaluable. I also had a small taste of working in Information Security, which was fascinating.

Cons

Like many companies we were stretched thin. The people were reasonable about not calling me on nickel and dime concerns, but when anything was down (weekly) I'd get calls anytime. For execs I was on call 24x7x365 for more than a year. Also I suspect many jobs have been and will be moving away from Minnesota since the buyout.

Rotate on-call times and always hire at least two IT guys per group to ensure real time off. Eventually I was able to trade with my more experienced coworker, but it was a very tiring first year. Also be sure to spend enough time and cash up front on infrastructure before filling a 300-seat building, to avoid frequent down-times. Our WAN - upon which everything depended - was a nightmare for the first few months in Eagan, and took a year to become reliable. Oof.

Great Place to Train and Get Experience

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers good training for entry level workers. It has a professional organizational structure and there can be excellent advancement opportunities for hard workers. The work can provide a strong technical background and experience if someone is willing to put in the time to study and learn from co-workers.

Cons

The work can be stressful after a while, with long hours on the phone and strong focus on performance measures. If someone doesn't like sitting all day and talking on the phone for an eight hour shift, he or she could get burned out. There are also expectations for performing to certain standards consistently.

Remember to treat each employee as an individual, even while trying to hold everyone to standard requirements.

Herded like cattle!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Call center and customer service experience
    SOME of the people you meet

Cons

Treated poorly by management
    Promised growth opportunities that never happen
    Grossly underpaid

Typical Call Center

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glace Bay, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Glace Bay, NS (Canada)

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easily obtainable jobs for those with limited education. Good for the local area. Some opportunities for internal job advancement,

Cons

Under-paid for work. Schedules are not flexible. Limited training, a lot of scenarios that you will come across are not explained well during training.

Great working environment

Former Employee - MS Technical Support Specialist in Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Former Employee - MS Technical Support Specialist in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work, fair salary, personal growth, great team

Cons

After 3 years of working there the project was canceled

More practical training for technicians and others working there, not just from the literature

Stream Global Services Photos