SuccessFactors

Updated 21 September 2014
3.3

SuccessFactors President, Cloud & On Premise HR Mike Ettling
Mike Ettling

Pros
  • ment proviuded (phone, Ipad etc), ability to work from home, and some good people (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • SAPs purchase of Successfactors has negatively impacted Work/Life balance (in 22 reviews)

• SFSF is a pay-for-performance company so one of the key tasks is setting and achieving specific goals each year (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work but fun times

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in London, England

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People,
    Lots of Travel,
    always evolving technology

Cons

Lots of Travel,
    some of the people,
    work life balance can be difficult

Not what they say on the tin - ensure you deep dive at interview stage!

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Knowledge of cloud indisputable
    Some great people
    Product is great and pretty

Cons

Middle management needs an overhaul, you are not a start-up anymore! Limited understanding of true leadership as oppose to tactical management.

Work-life balance very poor and unaddressed

Listen and learn, take out your ear-plugs.

Life after SAP acquisition

Current Employee - Pre-sale  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Pre-sale in London, England

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast product development and time to market

Cons

Bureaucratic, multi level management structure with micro management tendencies and a lack appreciation for cloud culture.

Adopt the cloud culture!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Regional Sales Manager

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth opportunities in the HR/Talent Space. Product is very good. Working from home culture is excellent. Management all industry heavyweights and very supportive. Fantastic on boarding and very high earnings potential.

Cons

Too many new Sales People and not enough Sales Management in place to support growth but this is changing. Lots to learn and takes time to get to fully ramped - 12 mths plus

Keep up the good work and we need more of you to reduce ramp time. Need to plan more for 12-24 timeframe not just this and next qtr.

Some needed context from a long timer...

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

In short my time at SF has been the best experience of my professional life. Many would feel the same about their time at SF, even those that have gone to the competition.

The simple fact is the company is in a state of perpetual evolution. Lets be honest and gain some perspective here... Any company in this economy, much less high-growth and recently public ones, are either evolving or being left behind. Lets not take this too personally. It's obvious that corporate evolution results in individual pain but let's not throw a tantrum over it.

Yes there is "Oracle-ization" going on. Some might call that Maturity... particularly those that buy their exercised options and/or shares on the open market... As of the date of this posting ALL option grants are worth something because the stock is trading at $9.23 and is above the highest strike price that I am aware of. Many people on Glass Door have and will continue to benefit financially from the very decisions they are bitching about which amazes me. You can't have it both ways, so deal with it and move on.

It’s easy to hate Oracle when you work for the little guy, but look around Silicon Valley and name a more successful company that has retained the familial start-up culture 100%. Even darlings Google and Apple aren’t the same companies they were at inception. If SuccessFactors is making moves to grow out of the awkward, inefficient, and in many cases unprofessional behaviours of a start up, then good on them! I’ll be cheering from the sidelines as I watch the SFSF stock price climb and competitors fall off the map or get gobbled up.

I realized I am better suited for the start-up phased business and I do not begrudge those that are more suited for the public/corporate environment. I'll simply focus my time and energy on the new thing that grabs my attention and deserves my passion while the newbies make SFSF more and more profitable. I'll be extactic with the financial security of SFSF cushioning the risk of the next start up...

Cons

Ironically communication is the biggest challenge at SF. In short there is constant communication of the trivial, infrequent and inconsistent communication of the meaningful, and a bit too much gloss for some of the internal communication. There was a time when a new leader brought words like "cadence of reporting and communication", but it really turned out to be monthly half day meetings where the team reported to that leader what they’ve been doing. From what I hear this may have changed to where team members are actually collaborating on projects... Let’s hope so.

With this said, I do appreciate the dash of reality in the all hands meetings where the challenges we/any company faces is presented. Actionable short, mid, and long term planning then needs to be communicated clearly, owned by individuals, and followed up with progress reports at the next meeting. Similarly long-term company strategy could use a consistent format and communication... "Today we are a square but we are going to evolve into a rectangle on our way to being a trapezoid in 5 years... "

1) When EVERYTHING is moving at a million miles an hour, take the time to communicate and re-communicate the meaningful. Check in to measure understanding formally and informally. And continue to ask for feedback and new ideas.

2) The macro environment is one that all businesses have to deal with, but few SF competitors have the foundation, resources, talent, and drive to keep up ... much less breakaway. Let's leverage our sustainable competitive advantages to own this market while others are struggling to survive.

3) Let’s learn from our customers and do the things that our highly successful customers are doing. My stock would LOVE to see the multiples our customers are seeing... If we even pull within 10% of Oracle’s Market Cap all the “Oracle-ization” whining will turn to cheers!!!

Start up gets acquired...

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Company, Innovation at the speed of light. Needs more process to be oriented, which it will be now that SAP has acquired. Pure SAAS company with alot of room to grow.

Cons

Leadership is lacking since SAP acquisition. Work and workplace are very hectic, but that is slowing down since SAP aquisition.

Lead Integration Consultant

Former Employee - Lead Integration Consultant
    Former Employee - Lead Integration Consultant

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company with a lot of upside. The benefits are great.. especially the bonus. SAP acquisition means more opportunities. Flexibility and virtual work environment.

Cons

Not so much.... but SAP acquisition also presents some challenges and could see so restructuring. The training and education reimbursement programs could be improved.

Great Company!

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant  in  San Mateo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in San Mateo, CA (US)

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work - great people!

Cons

Busy - as field employee, sometimes feel disconnected from org

Lost momentum after acquired by SAP

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be great culture. Dedicate Engineers, Sales and Supports. Very business driven. Customers are happy with our produce and service. Flexible work from home schedule.

Cons

Technical debts. Data center operations lack of automation, not like a real cloud company. Bureaucracy brought in by acquired company and SAP.

Get rid of a few rotten tomatoes. Lead SAP toward Cloud business rather than got dragged back by SAP legacy. Investing on tech infrastructure more.

It Will Be Different, That Won't Be Bad (If You Can Tolerate Change)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time for more than a year

Pros

beautiful digs, smart, caring people. A special cultural legacy left by company founder. Generous perks. Casual environment. Pride in product. Inspiring colleagues.

Cons

Continued SAP integration pains, difficulty getting information. Networking essential to getting your job done. If you were used to having everything spoon fed to you, get used to the new navigation methods.

Communicate directly and tangibly. Too much abstraction leaves employees wondering what it has to do with them. Be as transparent as possible. Lack of transparency (this means everyone) leads to mistrust, gossip, lowered morale as a result of people feeling left in the dark or left out.

Worked for SuccessFactors? Contribute to the Community!