SuccessFactors

Updated 16 December 2014
3.3

SuccessFactors President, Cloud & On Premise HR Mike Ettling
Mike Ettling

Pros
  • ment proviuded (phone, Ipad etc), ability to work from home, and some good people (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • SAPs purchase of Successfactors has negatively impacted Work/Life balance (in 22 reviews)

• The company lost its focus & agility post SAP acquisition (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work but fun times

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in London, England

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People,
    Lots of Travel,
    always evolving technology

Cons

Lots of Travel,
    some of the people,
    work life balance can be difficult

Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth opportunities in the HR/Talent Space. Product is very good. Working from home culture is excellent. Management all industry heavyweights and very supportive. Fantastic on boarding and very high earnings potential.

Cons

Too many new Sales People and not enough Sales Management in place to support growth but this is changing. Lots to learn and takes time to get to fully ramped - 12 mths plus

Keep up the good work and we need more of you to reduce ramp time. Need to plan more for 12-24 timeframe not just this and next qtr.

Not what they say on the tin - ensure you deep dive at interview stage!

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Knowledge of cloud indisputable
    Some great people
    Product is great and pretty

Cons

Middle management needs an overhaul, you are not a start-up anymore! Limited understanding of true leadership as oppose to tactical management.

Work-life balance very poor and unaddressed

Listen and learn, take out your ear-plugs.

Life after SAP acquisition

Current Employee - Pre-sale in London, England
    Current Employee - Pre-sale in London, England

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast product development and time to market

Cons

Bureaucratic, multi level management structure with micro management tendencies and a lack appreciation for cloud culture.

Adopt the cloud culture!

Some needed context from a long timer...

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

In short my time at SF has been the best experience of my professional life. Many would feel the same about their time at SF, even those that have gone to the competition.

The simple fact is the company is in a state of perpetual evolution. Lets be honest and gain some perspective here... Any company in this economy, much less high-growth and recently public ones, are either evolving or being left behind. Lets not take this too personally. It's obvious that corporate evolution results in individual pain but let's not throw a tantrum over it.

Yes there is "Oracle-ization" going on. Some might call that Maturity... particularly those that buy their exercised options and/or shares on the open market... As of the date of this posting ALL option grants are worth something because the stock is trading at $9.23 and is above the highest strike price that I am aware of. Many people on Glass Door have and will continue to benefit financially from the very decisions they are bitching about which amazes me. You can't have it both ways, so deal with it and move on.

It’s easy to hate Oracle when you work for the little guy, but look around Silicon Valley and name a more successful company that has retained the familial start-up culture 100%. Even darlings Google and Apple aren’t the same companies they were at inception. If SuccessFactors is making moves to grow out of the awkward, inefficient, and in many cases unprofessional behaviours of a start up, then good on them! I’ll be cheering from the sidelines as I watch the SFSF stock price climb and competitors fall off the map or get gobbled up.

I realized I am better suited for the start-up phased business and I do not begrudge those that are more suited for the public/corporate environment. I'll simply focus my time and energy on the new thing that grabs my attention and deserves my passion while the newbies make SFSF more and more profitable. I'll be extactic with the financial security of SFSF cushioning the risk of the next start up...

Cons

Ironically communication is the biggest challenge at SF. In short there is constant communication of the trivial, infrequent and inconsistent communication of the meaningful, and a bit too much gloss for some of the internal communication. There was a time when a new leader brought words like "cadence of reporting and communication", but it really turned out to be monthly half day meetings where the team reported to that leader what they’ve been doing. From what I hear this may have changed to where team members are actually collaborating on projects... Let’s hope so.

With this said, I do appreciate the dash of reality in the all hands meetings where the challenges we/any company faces is presented. Actionable short, mid, and long term planning then needs to be communicated clearly, owned by individuals, and followed up with progress reports at the next meeting. Similarly long-term company strategy could use a consistent format and communication... "Today we are a square but we are going to evolve into a rectangle on our way to being a trapezoid in 5 years... "

1) When EVERYTHING is moving at a million miles an hour, take the time to communicate and re-communicate the meaningful. Check in to measure understanding formally and informally. And continue to ask for feedback and new ideas.

2) The macro environment is one that all businesses have to deal with, but few SF competitors have the foundation, resources, talent, and drive to keep up ... much less breakaway. Let's leverage our sustainable competitive advantages to own this market while others are struggling to survive.

3) Let’s learn from our customers and do the things that our highly successful customers are doing. My stock would LOVE to see the multiples our customers are seeing... If we even pull within 10% of Oracle’s Market Cap all the “Oracle-ization” whining will turn to cheers!!!

A community divided..

Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Successfactors under the watch of Lars was an amazing, high energy atmosphere that had a vision. Let's say things haven't been the same since the SAP acquisition. There are a few people from the SF days who are still with the company but all seem to be leaving one by one. The South SF office is really nice with lots of space for one to function and there's free food and snacks most of the time. Comp and benefits are above average vs. the industry and most people are nice.

Cons

SAP management has taken over and they either 1) have no clue about what made Successfactors so successful or 2) have a clue but have their hands tied due to other quantitative initiatives or 3) fail to see any issues or problems within the organization. There are so many layers of management that nothing gets done or approved in a timely manner (ie: taking 6 mo - 1 yr to backfill a role. Which leads me to the next issue: teams are almost never properly staffed AND trained in a way where they understand the product. This holds true in areas such a customer support to product management. Just because you're adding headcount (coincidentally all from INDIA) doesn't mean that they are suitable to do the job as they lack the soft skills needed to deal with American customers. In addition, management expects that a mere 2 weeks of rag tag (non-existent) training programs will get these trainees up to speed and working on levels as a tier 3 support associate

Properly staff your teams with qualified individuals and stop taking the cheap way out by hiring overseas. Issues hardly get resolved by them which leads to a disgruntled, dissatisfied customer. Train up and promote within. I've seen too much talent leave the organization within the last year. Metrics are cute, since they quantify goals, but how you react to those not so great metrics is indicative of your success. Be transparent and talk to your customer success teams, product managers, consultants and engineers and ask them what you can do to make their jobs easier.

Very Good LIFE

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

such a good company for freshers ... talented people and very helpful people all around.

Cons

not yet any... good gud.

doing very goood...

great place to work

Current Employee - User Experience Design in South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - User Experience Design in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work environment, great leadership in product management and engineering, beautiful office space in South San Francisco with a spectular view of the Bay, if you are a good performer SFSF will take care of you financially with bonus and stock options

Cons

company culture is changing due to SAP acquisition

Don't introduce SAP processes to slow innovation

Comfortable place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flat office culture. Communication is much easier. Flexible working time. Everyone owns his/her responsibility.

Cons

Average salary is not very high. But working load isn't always very tough.

Was the best company I've ever worked for -- then we got bought by SAP

Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a few fantastic employees left from our pre-SAP days, and I love working with them. The office is also pretty cool, and there's plenty of flexibility in when/whether to physically arrive -- working from home is fine.

Cons

Now that we've been bought by SAP, the true decision-making happens in Germany, despite the fact that SAP has historically failed in the Cloud. The Works Councils have a strangle-hold on the company, so there's little correlation been performance/experience, and professional opportunity. SAP had layoffs earlier this year, and the determining factor seems to have been whether or not the employee was German: U.S-based team members almost all got sacked, but our colleagues in Germany held onto their positions, or got transferred within SAP. Thus, the decision-makers are almost completely insulated from the consequences of bad decisions. Most of the SuccessFactors employees who were with SuccessFactors when we got bought by SAP, have fled (probably less than 10% remain).

Lars was right. The only way SAP will succeed in the Cloud long term is if you keep the Cloud business separate from the legacy on-premise business. Stop putting the folk who have failed in the Cloud in charge of the folk who have succeeded -- that's a sure fire way of getting us to leave for other companies -- and you paid billions for us. I'm on Glass Door today because I've finally had enough, and am researching how much I should I ask for in my next job (I've already interviewed with the hiring manager, and am meeting with HR tomorrow).