Sun Life

Sun Life Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor

Dean Connor

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, nice clean offices"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Sensible business decisions, great people"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "once you hit mid career, opportunities for advancement evaporate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I really enjoyed the people I work with and the Sun Life culture.

I have been working at Sun Life full-time

ProsLeadership had an open door policy and was easy to access. I had the opportunity to learn many new things and learned how to navigate around a large organization to get things done.

ConsMy challenge was when our leader changed everything changed. The whole team was scared and worked hard out of fear. This was not a positive environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to address why there is high turn over in a department and figure out the truth. If someone is not suited for a role every effort should be made to find that person a role within the organization.

Great place to work

Senior Stop Loss Underwriting/Risk Assessment (Current Employee)
Windsor, CT (US)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpen, inclusive, exciting (as only an underwriter could understand), smart peers, upper management.

Conscommunication could be better betw management levels, major changes (regional or., system and pricing methodology) changes tend to occur near or at 4Q business cycle. Sun Life- this yr- seems to be addressing this (ie, thinking ahead).

Great Compagny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

ProsLove the cultural change Isabelle Hudon brought with her (QC) , and I believe cie will grow in a near future

ConsA lot of work impartition is being done to India, which reduces the # of jobs in canada and complicates communication for administrarion level jobs

A company who practices the "work - life" balance structure

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a very stable company that has been regarded globally as one of the MOST SUSTAINABLE COMPANIES IN THE WORLD. Compensation package is very competitive and can even exceed your expectations that is why they have a very low turn-over rate.

ConsIf you work as a Financial Advisor in the company, your income will be dependent only on your sales production which is through commissions. But income based on commission can be unlimited depending on the work load you are exerting.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that they also should come up with a committee or a department who handles the issues and concerns of the Financial Advisors with their direct Field Unit Managers in order to have a check and balance in implementing policies on promotions.

Sun Life is a great place to work if you can manage the politics.

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment. Great people to work with.

ConsVery strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to feedback and recommendations from your employees. Some points are very valid and applicable if you listen.

HR

Rather Not Say (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, nice clean offices

ConsFavouritism, if your liked your golden, if not your dead in the water. Work loads to high, very reactive. Senior managers all located at a different location and have no idea what's going on at the other site.

Talented workers leave for more challenge and advancement

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work-life balance, excellent educational opportunities, excellent benefits

ConsNo way to advance for the individual contributor . Talented, and hard working people are often overlooked for promotions, and leave in order to advance. Hiring managers outside of claims are pompous and narrow minded .

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectives come from Canada, and don't always transfer well to the US market. Get out of your glass towers and talk to the Minions.

A dysfunctional company from the view of a Financial Advisor

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExpanding their branding ( a lot of household recognition). Gave a number of perks/promotions to increase productivity.

ConsAn unnecessarily complex commission structure and seemed to hire sales managers without any management experience/qualifications. Equated sales prowess with being a good manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the complexity of commission payments. Improve training to sales force staff.

A good place to work over all

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge company with lots of room to grow or move sideways to other departments. Compensation package is fair, with extra pay if you surpass your metrics.

ConsToo many changes in the Group Benefits call center leave you feeling tired out. Yes, for any job you need to accept change here and there, but at this call center...they are far to common. High turn-over.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a little restructuring of the upper Management. Might help things along.

Great work environment and great work-life balance!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsTeam, Culture, Pay, Flexibility, Work-Life Balance

ConsAdvancement, Weak collaboration, Work silos, Stringent processes

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Lotus Notes.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!

Sun Life Videos

Sun Life – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are We’re Sun Life. We’re a leading international financial services company, building on our strengths for nearly 150 years. Our objective is to deliver the best customer experience at every touch point, in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Life reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sun Life CEO Dean Connor. All 252 reviews are posted anonymously by Sun Life employees.