Sun Products Corporation Reviews

Updated 11 April 2015
57 reviews filtered by
2.7
Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell
Jeffrey P. Ansell

Pros
  • Great people, excellent company values, good pay and generous benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is incredible here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Corporate doesn't understand the needs at the plant level and often gets in the way of progress (in 10 reviews)

• Being a union seems to have made us a red headed step-child even though we are not problematic (in 4 reviews)

1. machine operator

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

great smelling place to work

Cons

spend too much time on equipment and production and not enough time on employees and their dad to day concerns--they are becoming a corporation and not in the best sense of the word

2. Rewarding compensation, but poor work/ life balance

Former Employee - Contributor, Senior in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Contributor, Senior in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very competitive compensation and benefits package, and company is willing to attract top talent. Company was also willing to invest in operational capacities and new equipment.

Cons

After working less than one year in Salt Lake City, I was told my work and position was moving to Connecticut, a move I declined. It would have made a lot of sense to make this the first stop. The strategy regarding personnel structure seems to be ever changing, and the biggest downside is job security. Some of the upper management team were allowed to act in an unprofessional manner. Literally worked 70-80/week.

Advice to Management

Structure around one location for the supply chain and shed the few who are poor leaders of staff.

3. Turn Over was high: I had three bosses in less than 3 years at the same job....

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Wilton, CT (US)
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Wilton, CT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New building and office space.

Cons

High turn over of staff

5. Slash and Run

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None. Closed a more efficient, modern facility because it was a union facility.

Cons

Vision is cheapest labor and products at all costs!

Advice to Management

Run

6. Good opportunity in advancing career

Former Employee - Temp in Bowling Green, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Temp in Bowling Green, KY (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Good people, good career moves

Cons

Have to go through a temp agency

Advice to Management

Make it easier to move up in career

7. Negativity and disingenuousness run rampant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Good pay and benefits, made some good friends among associates, peers, etc

Cons

Confusing organizational structure, inconsistent and hypocritical implementation and enforcement of company policies by HR and middle management, 12 hour shift schedule, huge turnover

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the floor investigating the disconnect between rhetoric and reality

8. Ideals & Vision vs. Reality

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bowling Green, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bowling Green, KY (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sun Products is a relatively large company and frequently has internal job openings for individuals who are open to career growth and/or relocation. The benefits are above average for the geographic area which I worked in, and the starting pay for hourly associates and upper management are very competitive for the area. Some members of the leadership team are very focused on doing their jobs, developing their direct reports, and are free of self-interest on the job. Sun Products has an excellent safety record in their industry (Manufacturing) and has won some very prestigious awards in this area--safety is definitely part of the culture and is taken seriously. The Senior HR Manager and Maintenance Manager are excellent at this site, as are some of the training staff to name some of the better leaders. Sun also does a pretty decent job of actively recruiting and hiring a diverse workforce.

Cons

Despite paying above-market wages, Sun suffers from very high turnover. A lot of this turnover is in the hourly ranks, but some of it is within the salaried ranks as well. Sun wants to be known as the employer of choice in the area but has a reputation as being a place where cronyism and the old boy network are still firmly in place. Politics? Office/shop floor politics abound here in the leadership and professional-level employees. Initial onboarding program is not structured and peers selected to do the onboarding for new hires do not seem to be carefully screened so you may or may not be properly prepared for your new role...hope that you learn very quickly. A disheartening tendency to look at people, not the process as the cause for all failures on the floor which is an outdated and morale-killing way of 'problem-solving'.

Advice to Management

There is some potential to be the employer of choice in your area since you do offer some good things: diverse workforce, good benefits, above-market pay, and peer training for a longer time for new hires. You have some really good managers who are quietly working at their jobs and are not in the upper management's offices constantly trying to network--notice and recognize the managers who are actually DOING THE WORK rather than the ones who merely talk the talk. Increase upper management presence on the floor and have them listen to the employees; employees do like interacting with their supervisors (for the most part) but also often feel like upper management doesn't listen to them. Look at WHY there is so much turnover, since this is not normal for your industry and perhaps use an exit interview process to ID root causes and then find ways to address them. Some leadership coaching (starting at the department management level) is needed to develop the soft skills of your leadership so they can more effectively handle feedback situations, learn to periodically give praise, and handle conflict situations. Training on basic root-cause problem solving in manufacturing processes would also be helpful for both department level management and first-line supervision so they could learn about the various causes of failures and focus more on actual problem solving rather than finger-pointing which contributes to negative morale and wastes time which could be focused on actually finding the root cause of 'why' and fixing the issue so it does not happen again. Consider instituting a training program for designated peer mentors who will work with new hires to teach them the ins and outs of the company and their new jobs.

9. Sun Products needs act like the small,

Current Employee - Brand Manager
    Current Employee - Brand Manager

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time

Pros

-high caliber colleagues: the company mostly attracts excellent people at the associate level

Cons

-performance: the company is not in a strong position for growth. investment in innovation and brand building is below the levels needed to deliver short-sighted cost targets.
    -targets: business objectives are systematically unrealistic and create a negative working environment.
    -management: leadership at the director level is lacking the experience required to prioritize and win. The company wants to act like a sophisticated CPG (Unilever, P&G), but with significantly fewer resources. The leadership team is not adapting to the smaller, more nimble company that they (claim to) want to be.

10. All Talk and You Must Conform

I worked at Sun Products Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Good money. Learned a great deal and very interesting work.

Cons

Treats you like an outsider. No one really talks to you unless its work related. Everyone must act and conform as they are told or they are out. Senior management is only concerned about how it looks rather that what is actually is and most of the senior management can't even handle the copy machine or pull together a report from excel.

Advice to Management

Open you eyes to the hard workers you have in the rank and file. There is great talent there that is just waiting to shine and if you don't encourage that you are going to lose talent and gain a poor reputation.

11. No formal organized training/ High stress environment

Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees in the office were really sweet/ thoughtful. You can learn how to manipulate Microsoft Office like a champ by collaborating with skilled co-workers. Tuition reimbursement and retirement matching plan were great.

Cons

Health benefits and training are terrible/embarrassing. Also, you will not experience freedom on the weekends. As required, I had to carry the company laptop home on weekends and to church on Sundays to answer emails and make sure that trucks were delivering as expected. Most of the managers are arrogant and need to learn humility.

My biggest disappointment: This is an environment in which people love to gossip and make you look at fault for their problems by "throwing you under the bus" without first checking the facts. Co-workers/people in other departments assume the worst and try to cover their apples by writing an email to your manager/ manager's manager. On these emails, they are trying to get you fired without furnishing proof. Many times, I had to provide proof to managers that the Traffic Department or sales staff were at fault for the very mistakes that they were blaming me. I started experiencing heart pains from all the stress that I was encountering.

In conclusion, if you want to advance here and fit into the culture properly, then you should 1. gossip a lot 2. blame other people 3. Not believe in yourself or you will be labeled as arrogant.

Advice to Management

I am not holding any ill feelings toward anyone. The severed relationship between me and SPC was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Shortly after, I found another company that treated me respectfully and now I have the best manager that I could ever ask for.

If you are experiencing the same problems, you might also want to sever the relationship with SPC and enjoy freedom again.

Sun Products Corporation Photos