SunGard

SunGard Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros:
  • "flexible work times, easy work environment, good salary, good work life balance"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Very flexible work environment with relatively low workload stress"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "unless you're upper management or sales you won't be raking in big bonuses and perks but they are there"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Very fragmented structure with multiple business units , complicated communications"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Financial Software Intern

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Oxford, England

I have been working at SunGard as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly and relaxed work environment. For people who have a passion for technology this is ideal.

ConsSlightly steep learning curve. On a business park so also not particularly sociable.

Avoid like the plague!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at SunGard as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFree breakfast on a Friday, global experience, looks good on your CV. Some very interesting clients. Lots of FTSE 100 company's and Fortune 500 client exposure.

ConsMicromanaging to the extreme from the US and tactical. There was no strategic thinking. Heavily sales focused. Before joining I looked at the reviews on glassdoor and ignored the advice given. If you are a focused seasoned professional do not join this company as you will regret it. The US heavily micromanage and do not appreciate professionals who are qualified in their field of expertise. It's tactical fantastic, think about today and not tomorrow. Very political, only the US are looked after. Outside of the US different rules apply and you have no say or opinion. If you challenge the US or voice an opinion you will be viewed as a threat to the US who do not have a clue about strategy and are behind the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the deadwood and the yes men. Review your employee Retention and the reasons why there is a high turnover of good experienced staff.

Neutral

Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at SunGard full-time for less than a year

ProsLife balance, Environment, opportunity, senior management, Travelling

Conscareer development,food,weather,no more cons,lack of comminication

Opportunities but challenging to work in

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat opportunities to shape your career, lack of micro management, truly international business with great travel options

ConsInternal structures lacking, no management time to support staff, communication failures throughout the business

Sales Manager Northern England

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Manchester, England

I worked at SunGard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat facilities and mostly very astute people. Good vision and energy to achieve. Truly market leading as a non manufacturer specific supplier. Multiple value streams and routes to market.
UK wide coverage and work placement options.

ConsUS employment legislation is very different to the EU. Unfortunately, the senior US management do not understand the implications.
Putting revenue before customer requirements is a dangerous practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more genuine autonomy to non US locations.

the right mix

Marketing Executive (Current Employee)
City of London, England

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than a year

ProsThe right mixture between the great company, challenging role and the professional and supporting people. Great experience personally and professionally. Superb opportunity to learn and develop at a varied, complex and diverse organisation.

ConsYou need to be adaptable to change as the organisation is changing continuously.

sungard systems ltd employment review

Software Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at SunGard full-time for more than 10 years

Prosoptions for working overseas exist

Consvery limited opportunities for career progression

Stable but not much fun.

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at SunGard

ProsPay is good if you are loyal and professional
Good perks
Excellent offices in London
Very nice and friendly atmosphere in the office.

ConsOutsourcing at its worst.It is astonishing how badly internal processes are broken due to the bad outsourcing attempts.
Once you reach the top in your product line you will be better off looking for your next position outside the company than hoping for an internal transfer.
Very fragmented structure with multiple business units , complicated communications.
Constant management/strategy changes with little visible effect that don't help the morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it less bureaucratic and ensure policies and rules are not counter productive.

A good place to work at, mostly for junior jobs.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at SunGard

ProsThe benefits are very good and there is an overall good feeling and support during performance of tasks. For the more junior roles, people get a lot of support and can spend the appropriate time learning the taks and responsibility.
Atmosphere wise, the atmosphere is fairly relaxed, it is quite easy to get help and advice from other people around you.

ConsIt is sometimes too segregated, there is very little cooperation between product lines and it is very difficult to move between product lines.
Once an employee achieves the most she can advance in the London office of the respective business unit, the almost natural progression is to use this professionalism in other business units. this is rarely done in Sungard, there is no benefit to applying for a role from within sundard than from without.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Sungard is huge and should have better cooperation and support between business units.

Part-Time

Part Time Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at SunGard

ProsGood environment with opportunity to meet nice people. A flat hierarchy structure giving all employees direct approach to managers and directors.

ConsDifficult to grow to an appreciated level. Very large organisation and all employees are helpful. However, very competitive and demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with all different levels of the people in the organisation. The more integrated the company the better operations will be.

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunGard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SunGard CEO Russell P. (Russ) Fradin. All 227 reviews are posted anonymously by SunGard employees.