SunTrust

www.suntrust.com

SunTrust Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 40 reviews)

• The job as a Branch Manager did not allow for work life balance (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

SunTrust is a great place to work, we are like one small family working in a large organization.

Business Banking Relationship Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsLarge organization with small family feel and great benefits. Compensation is also very good. Employees are always getting continuous training to improve their skills at every level.
    My work is made easy because tough and important decision are made locally with access to top executives to help make client transactions go smoothly.

ConsThere are not challenges working at SunTrust.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in moving the company towards the right direction. Change for the better is always refreshing.

Teller I

Teller I (Current Employee)

ProsRequired trainings and use of verbiage ensures a professional feel to the overall organization. Very beneficial from what I've heard about other banks that almost throw you out to the wolves immediately.

ConsDepending on branch you may have extremely high volume of customers and responsibilities with a salary/pay that does not match the job performed. The trainings also have to be done while at work in "down time" which is not an issue if you're at a slower branch. But if not good luck. Incentives were not the best but I heard that was changed a month or so after I left.

A quality company suffering from top heavy Atlanta management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsThey will treat you with respect. The training is pretty good; as are the salaries and the benefits. The company enjoys prestige and recognition in the markets where it operates; working for SunTrust will be a source of pride. There is a strong sales focus, but this is typical of the industry. The technology and systems, while still not top of the line, have been greatly improved.

ConsThe company is very top heavy, with excessive layers of senior and middle management in Atlanta. Typically your local manager will have little or no authority, and all decisions must go up the ladder through various layers to someone in Atlanta whom you will probably never meet in person. That someone will change often, leading to inconsistency and uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate at least two levels of management between the CEO and the sales force in the field.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

to much pressure for sales

Teller II (Current Employee) Port Charlotte, FL (US)

ProsI love being a teller. Great benefits. They work with your schedule. Co workers wonderful

ConsThey push sales and referrals to the extent that they could lose more tellers. Even if you do a great job, still not good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont push so hard. Recognize good help and let them work at their own pace. Not even with company 1 month and they start pushing you to get referrals even though you haven't completely learned the position

ProsConvenient locations. Great hours. The staff is nice.

ConsThe increased expectation in sales vs service

Product Development Manager

Product Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance. The technical and development teams are pretty solid. Teammates are willing to share their knowledge and help bring teammates up to speed. Allow work from home depending on your Manager, but most that I have worked for were more than flexible with my schedule.

ConsJust like most companies once you are internal, pay increases are consistent with industry standards. Therefore, you are force to think about opportunities outside of the Company to seek higher pay increases.

Steady work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsVery flexible work environment with telecommuting an option. Good compensation package for this area.

ConsChange is too slow to occur. Outsourcing has become the answer and in doing so, quality has diminished.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit opinions from internal staff with external experience.

PB3 SunTrust

PB3 (Current Employee) Rome, GA (US)

ProsCompany provides Web-based Training aides, Role-play and Classroom instruction, and On the Job Training are all provided within 30-days of hire. Good benefits package.

ConsSales quotas that are difficult to meet, must reach 95% of quota to attain a 50% incentive check anything less than a 95% attainment results in zero incentive/bonus payout.

Great place to work

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsFlexible hours
    work-life balance
    Good pay
    Many opportunities within different line of businesses

ConsLess budget for training
    Slow to respond to market changes due to heavy regulations
    Regional so less opportunities to relocate to other parts of the country

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in training and human capital
    Allow innovative ideas from bottom up.

Great people, but confusing

Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsWonderful people to work with. Very smart, nice, kind to each other. Extremely flexible work from home options, good salary and benefits, treat interns very very well. The innovation services program is making drastic leaps forward in terms of changing the company for the better.

ConsPeople are both micromanaged and not managed at all to the point of inefficiency and costly. Many people feel that they are extremely unproductive because getting things done requires permissions, and permissions take days or weeks to get; therefore stalling that work. People are also scared of their jobs being outsourced, especially in the technology sectors.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe flag says SunTrust should be client first at all times. Remember that the teammates cannot put the client first in their heads and hearts if they are not being taken care of by their employer.

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!