SunTrust Reviews

Updated 14 September 2014
Updated 14 September 2014
2.7

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 40 reviews)

• The job as a Branch Manager did not allow for work life balance (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

It got me to where I am now

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist II  in  Ocala, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist II in Ocala, FL (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for less than a year

Pros

Consistent Salary, Benefits, "any monkey could do my job"

Cons

Was told that any monkey could do any of our jobs. Existed in an environment where all of my co-workers were in fear of losing their job. Goals and numbers existed purely for corporate because when it came down to it....the numbers would get fudged at the branch level so that people kept their jobs. Management did not care about your personal life. If you were sick they said work through it if you bothered to come in, if you didn't bother to come in the rest of the staff would have to struggle with short staff, no one was ever called in to cover.

I don't know where to begin. It was a toxic environment and I felt immense relief after leaving there. This is not coming from a person that didn't meet their goals (I met and exceeded mine every month), this is coming from a person that had to exist in a branch where I was the ONLY one with a college education and I wasn't the branch manager (not that I wanted to be), but I would have hoped to work with a team of competent people in a business that handled peoples financial lives.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They have great training programs in place. The trainings still benefit me in my new job. They have a strong brand name.

Cons

They are sales focused to the point of stressing branch personnel. Being short staffed is the order of the day. Even if you short staffed you still need to produce...and that's straining. Management believes it's always right - so you can never make any suggestions. Low paying high stress job

Listen to employees and not selectively listen to those who tell you what you want to hear.

Being A Teller at SunTrust

Current Employee - Teller 1-3
    Current Employee - Teller 1-3

I have been working at SunTrust part-time for more than a year

Pros

To begin with, the starting pay is reasonable(at least for me), as many of you tellers are now sellers, that means meeting your monthly and quarterly goals you'll get a little bonus per quarter...but! Business hours are great and holidays paid.

Cons

Thinking that there is a ladder to climb, you'll dreaming! Instead, because of many personal banker's goals are too high...they are leaving their posts for lesser goaled-positions like teller-css, The company doesn't promote from within so there is NO encouragement to seek promotion and there are people working there for almost 30 years doing the same thing!!! Licensed and non-licensed bankers have the same goal, that is not fair!!!! No raise!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to start with

Former Employee - Teller III
    Former Employee - Teller III

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employees, good branch locations, nice benefits, good client-base, not nation-wide

Cons

Low pay, not a lot of promotions or growth opportunities, Upper Management needs to be more involved to produce better results, not nation-wide.

Be nicer to employees, communication is key! Explain things more than just expecting results, stop changing things before we see how they work out.

Too conservative

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

Regional bank with great client care

Cons

Skeleton staffed and too little ATM machines

Listen to your employees concerns

FSR position inside retail store, teller work with sales goals

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative

I worked at SunTrust full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun working with retail customers.
     Busy, not boring. Despite online banking many people enjoy banking in person.
    Starting salary is reasonable but you need the commission.

Cons

Sales pressure. Work hours for instore branches are poor, start late and end late. Recommend jobs at branches outside retail stores.

Hated to resign

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits,work life balance, paid holidays.

Cons

None, none, none, none, none.

A Great Tradition No More

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SunTrust still has a good name in the marketplace and some very fine people working for them on the front line. Benefits are still competitive, and despite the general perception that bankers don't make much money, there are still plenty of well-paid positions. They provide a good work environment and there are still some people in the company that put the customer first. Time off is fairly generous and in most cases, employees are even required to take one continuous week of vacation per year as an audit control.

Cons

SunTrust essential sold its soul about the time it merged with Crestar - their local appeal and custom service is gone. Everything has become cookie cutters and committees. Hyper-vigilance in areas including risk management, compliance and cost control are slowly eroding the staff's capacity to meet customer needs. Outsourcing of customer-facing functions is damaging the company's brand, and outsourcing generally is running off talent and leaving those that remain demoralized. Benefits are slowly being cut back and in some cases, the company is escaping pension obligations with outsourcing. Promotions have been hugely curtailed with new "substantial change in job obligations" requirements. Post-it notes have been banned. Many managers believe that they know everything and that employee input in policies and procedures is not necessary or helpful.

Don't outsource customer-facing positions if you care about your brand. Encourage your people to speak up and encourage your managers to listen to them. You have outsourced so many functions so quickly that you have completely overlooked significant compliance and liability risks that are created simply by having certain functions performed by third parties. Go easy on the initiatives - the employees are already fighting to make time to serve their customers.

Great experience. Sorry I left.

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

Great company. Excellent benefits.

Cons

None, great place to work.

Great Advancement Opportunities, but the retail side is tough.

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

I like the Company's purpose. Client focus.

Cons

Overwhelming amount of tasks. Too many changes are creating too many things to do and people feel overwhelmed.

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!