Sunrise Senior Living

Updated 29 October 2014
3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • People passionate about what they do and improving the quality of life for seniors (in 10 reviews)

• I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there was a lack of communication from management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for them for 6 years

Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Guildford, England
    Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Guildford, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working well as a team. Working with like minded people. Pay structure great and a real chase to grow as a person.

Cons

Lack of progression when you hit a certain point

Life Changing Experience

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sunrise is a great place to work mainly because the residents we look after are so amazing. They all have stories to tell from amazing lives, have a sense of humour and even when they are a bit challenging at times it usually ends up in a laugh. It doesn't feel like going to work just to a large family home.

Cons

The job itself is great but the amount of paperwork that has to be completed due to legislation is ridiculous and takes the gloss off what is a great job.

Really sorry to say that I've found the senior management team cold hearted and no idea about employee engagement and treating people as adults

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Processes, systems and making money. There are some fantastic employees wanting to do a great job, all they need us the permission and environment to do great things for the residents and the business.

Cons

Arrogant, no collaboration and not valuing talent within the company. Shocking conversations being had in private by senior managers who should know better!! Certain senior managers are totally deluded about their impact on others and, in their line of work, they should be role modelling a little empathy at the very least.

Go out and ask people for their ideas and ways of working. Don't think your way is the only way and you know best and don't treat people like idiots by not having open and honest conversations. You might want to review how HR talks to your employees too. Take an interest in your employees, you never know you might just learn something! Set up communities of practice and give your employees a voice, you have some great people working for you.

"Sunrise Senior Living an awesome, warmly and wonderful family to be"

Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England
    Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working at Sunrise Senior Living because of the foundation belief. I feel this is heavenly. Furthermore, the mission statement, principles of service, the core values and the team member credo makes me feel comfortable and fulfilled in serving our residents.
    The residents are just so sweet to be with them. My co-workers are a formidable team. Together we form a wonderful family. Am always full of smiles, joy and fulfilled just to know that I can make a difference and put a smile on someone's face.
     I have been away from them for a couple of months due to sickness. Am amazed with the support and encouragements I have been receiving from the residents, management and co-workers. I am always emotional when am visited, receive cards and flowers from them, to the extent that I have been taken out for dinners organised by staff. I feel so humbled by these gestures of love. The management has always been in touch with me. This family is so special to me.
     I was amazed to receive a letter to acknowledge the long service I have been with Sunrise Senior Living. Hard work, commitment, dedication and passion is awarded at Sunrise Senior Living. In addition, to the remunerations i.e wages, pension, etc one is recognised for any extra effort made both for the residents as well as to members of staff i.e in form of shopping vouchers, soul and heart notes. I love this.

Cons

The main challenge has been the frequent changes of management. I guess it is unavoidable in a changing business environment. This however, has had an impact on some long term stay residents even some members of staff leaving. I believe there should be a balance on profit making and the Welfare of the residents.
    There has been challenges on annual leave approvals. At the beginning of the year everybody is requested to apply for the year. At times, it a problem to get approved on the specific times that one would like to have the time off due to lots of applications on that period. I do appreciate the challenge of satisfying everyone but at the same I recon that our residents have to be served at the highest standard possible to provide the quality of life.
    Apart from the basic training provided, I wish other extra relevant courses solicited by individuals could be allowed to enhance their job performance.

Care staff turnover is too high that sometimes leads to some other few remaining team members being overworked in turn leading to being off sick. This disturbs residents and work flows. Members of staff should be encouraged to do some extra activities for themselves supported by Management i.e dance clubs, swimming clubs, dinners clubs etc for team building
    There should be a very clear chain of command. Instructions from so many people confuses and puts strain especially on the care staff. For example, the Lead Care Manager instructs the Care Manager the task to be carried out, the Nurse may come to give more instructions on another task, before the tasks are completed may be the Activities Coordinator requests another task to be done by the same individual. Before long the General Manager or Deputy Manager asks for an urgent task to be done.

not a nice company

Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

residents are the only nice thing about sunrise shame really could be such a nice place

Cons

resident treated like crap by staff and management do nothing i reported people nothing got done every thing gets swept under the carpet manager treats staff like crap dare you be off sick or need an operation you get sack or threaten to be theres so much i could say but this company does not care the are so greedy all they care about is money they do not care about residents or staff and never will could not stand it no more and left after 3 years of hell

wish some would give them a wake up call or a good kick up the a

All show

Former Employee - Care Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a lot really place looks great but that's about it

Cons

High staff turn over always short staffed and pressure put on staff to work overtime the slated for being off sick for probably doing too many hours Too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Stop encouraging cliques and treat your staff as you would like to be treated without us workers you would be jobless

Working with a mixture of bright and beautiful staff and residents

Current Employee - Care Manager in Westbourne, England
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Westbourne, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like being able to choose what i want to wear to work instead of wearing a uniform, embracing a caring homely atmosphere, instead of an institution.

Cons

The stresses of day to day, Clashes in the care station, between management and care staff and the familiar feeling of being short staffed.

push the core values of the company and team credo more as these are not seeming to be upheld as much as they used to.

I was belittled by my manager and shocked by lack of care.

Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Oxshott, England
    Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Oxshott, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for my first full time job.

Cons

My manager called me stupid, then when I got upset, had a go at me for being upset.
    A lady was left waiting ages for toilet care - It was my first day and I was concerned she was being left for ages so I went to her and she screamed at me.
    You need a thick skin to work in care - and I have since moved on.
    In the assisted living restaurant I felt more like I worked as a waitress on the Titanic First Class Lounge.

Don't belittle your staff, consider what they are saying.
    Spend less time in the restaurant preparing things to be perfect. - I know perfection is a good thing but it honestly took every last ounce of joy out of me.

Experience of working as a qualified nurse.

Former Employee - RGN
    Former Employee - RGN

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable surroundings for seniors and good team support.

Cons

Insufficient staffing to provide consistently high quality care as advertised.

Too concentrated on profit, not enough on welfare of residents

Former Employee - Care Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the care workers were great, a nice environment, residents were amazing to talk to. A mostly nice mox of activities, opportunities to get out with the residents

Cons

Low pay, low staff levels often lead to being asked to work longer hours despite having worked all day. High expectations with little help to reach them.

Increase pay, increase staffing levels

Sunrise Senior Living Photos