Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle

Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Working with a mixture of bright and beautiful staff and residents

Care Manager (Current Employee) Westbourne, England

ProsI like being able to choose what i want to wear to work instead of wearing a uniform, embracing a caring homely atmosphere, instead of an institution.

ConsThe stresses of day to day, Clashes in the care station, between management and care staff and the familiar feeling of being short staffed.

Advice to Senior Managementpush the core values of the company and team credo more as these are not seeming to be upheld as much as they used to.

All show

Care Manager (Former Employee) Southampton, England

ProsNot a lot really place looks great but that's about it

ConsHigh staff turn over always short staffed and pressure put on staff to work overtime the slated for being off sick for probably doing too many hours Too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Advice to Senior ManagementStop encouraging cliques and treat your staff as you would like to be treated without us workers you would be jobless

Too concentrated on profit, not enough on welfare of residents

Care Manager (Former Employee) Southampton, England

ProsMost of the care workers were great, a nice environment, residents were amazing to talk to. A mostly nice mox of activities, opportunities to get out with the residents

ConsLow pay, low staff levels often lead to being asked to work longer hours despite having worked all day. High expectations with little help to reach them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay, increase staffing levels

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was belittled by my manager and shocked by lack of care.

Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) Oxshott, England

ProsGood pay for my first full time job.

ConsMy manager called me stupid, then when I got upset, had a go at me for being upset.
    A lady was left waiting ages for toilet care - It was my first day and I was concerned she was being left for ages so I went to her and she screamed at me.
    You need a thick skin to work in care - and I have since moved on.
    In the assisted living restaurant I felt more like I worked as a waitress on the Titanic First Class Lounge.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't belittle your staff, consider what they are saying.
    Spend less time in the restaurant preparing things to be perfect. - I know perfection is a good thing but it honestly took every last ounce of joy out of me.

Experience of working as a qualified nurse.

RGN (Former Employee)

ProsComfortable surroundings for seniors and good team support.

ConsInsufficient staffing to provide consistently high quality care as advertised.

Not good at all.

Wellness Nurse (Former Employee) Manchester, England

ProsI enjoyed working in our Reminiscence dept. as Wellness Nurse. I miss the Seniors, Lead Cares and Care Managers since I have left.

ConsI had a really bad experience with a Co-ordinator in our dept. I was disbelieved in a very bad situation in which I had been bullied..

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always take the Co-ordinators word as the truth in a situation.

activities and volunteers coordinator

Activities and Volunteers Coordinator (Former Employee) London, England

Prosvalues, resident centered care, fabulous home, the whole concept sounded perfect place to work and develop a career

Consbully managers, uncaring HR, failed to deliver

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to the staff and not just the general manager in perticular the ones that use bullying tatcts to get what they want, listen and listen some more

sunrise

Concierge (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat company to work for. Supportive and upward mobility potential.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Learnt the art of management game playing.

Reminisence Coordinator (Former Employee) Winchester, England

ProsSalary
    Nice buildings
    lovely coincerge
    Furnishings
    staff sometimes get free pizza

Consoverworked
    unrealistic targets
    stressed staff teams
    Disorganised
    Reactionary organisation
    nepatism

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit general managers with clinical experience. Coordinators in Asssited living and Rem have the toughest jobs. Remember them when you are introducing yet another report you desperately need. This takes them away from the core business activity of care. Celebrate and use staff skills.People lose heart when you bring outside experts into the community and overlook the qualified staff you have.

Encourage staff not to work excessive hours. This is demoralising, unsafe and affects health. You will lose good staff.

Deal with the daily corporate bullying that is endemic in the organisation led the example of the most Senior HR person. This is destroying your business and costing you money.

I wanted to use my skills in dementia to improve the lives of seniors. A promise wa given that I could share some of my research with the US. This never materialised and I never got to use my skills so I have left to go to an organisation that has embraced them, We have achieved in less than two months full NHS support to roll out the findings of this research. Sunrise you missed out.

Great company with many great employees!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Residents and a great team. Everyone pulled their weight even when things came up.

ConsThere was clear division in teamwork between units. People felt under appreciated when working with another team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote unity. It'll provide a better work environment.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!