Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

351 reviews filtered by
3.1
Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • People passionate about what they do and improving the quality of life for seniors (in 11 reviews)

• I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours bad mangement no respect (in 11 reviews)

• short staffed with care managers so we are stressed and over worked (in 9 reviews)

1. Working for them for 6 years

Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Guildford, England
    Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Guildford, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working well as a team. Working with like minded people. Pay structure great and a real chase to grow as a person.

Cons

Lack of progression when you hit a certain point

NEGLECT- patients and staff

Current Employee - Care Giver in Frome, England
    Current Employee - Care Giver in Frome, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people you get to look after every day

Hoping you get to work with carers who care that day

Cons

Bullying attitude from management and upwards
    Intimidation for anyone who dare speak out on bad care, or you get sacked
    If you're the managers friends you can be off sick, if not you're expected in to give it to residents
    Huge staff turnover, young inexperienced staff being taken on to replace those experienced who suddenly leave, often not of their own choice.
    Many unhappy staff, awful atmosphere for residents
    Short staffed, no management support, poor training
    Can honestly say I would not leave my cat there.
    Staff told do not converse with families just be polite hello and goodbye
    Poor food portions for residents, cannot get to patients always in time before they wet, or to give enough drinks.
    Patients are a pound sign now not people who need love
    Wool pulled over some families eyes and staff
    No management support weekends
    Constant agency nurses who don't help carers
    Emergency number left for weekends rarely answered by those on call

Advice to Management

Work in a factory where you don't need to care

staff

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good careing staff and residents

Cons

bad management wages are too low for the work that is entailed

Advice to Management

higher wages to keep the staff you have .less take and a bit omore give and help more staff less agency .would bring less overheads

Never know if your coming or going!

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Life insurance and pension
    Best pay hourly than any other care home I have found.
    Have made good friends and some residents are lovely and down to earth
    Have great nights out (but we plan them ourselves)

Cons

Training is highly inadequate for new starters
    Huge management and staff turn over
    obvious lack of staff but money wise are classed as over staffed leaving care at a poor level for the prices the residents pay.
    Sickness is practically seen as a crime and yet coming to work ill isn't when it could effect the vulnerable people we look after. we try to be responsible and then get a disciplinary.
    Big bosses never happy...always trying to cut corners in the most basic areas of care i.e care staff, meals and fun
    Too much paperwork
    not enough time to do paperwork
    expected to do longer hours with little or no incentive
    they sell a dream which can not realistically be realised at the levels they are expecting with the limited staff they are providing

Advice to Management

Be less greedy and remember what sunrise is there to do.
    provide proper hands on, role play training where people can ask questions and learn the job before being let loose because shadow shifts only teach the job they do not teach the care, expectations, or responsibilities and lead cares do not have the time to do this for you to save you money.

Either come and work a shift or remember what it was like to do the job and see what it's really like trying to care for 60 odd people (with at least 15 of those needed two people) with 3 actual carers and run the dining room at the same time.
    Leads do what they can with what they are given but it is no where near what they should have.
    Thank the lord for agency staff who do the job for twice the wage the normal carers get....now that's fair!

Finally stop being blinded by the sparkle of your visits to communities....we know your coming and the management go out of their way to make everything look better than it actually does day-to-day.

Really sorry to say that I've found the senior management team cold hearted and no idea about employee engagement and treating people as adults

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Processes, systems and making money. There are some fantastic employees wanting to do a great job, all they need us the permission and environment to do great things for the residents and the business.

Cons

Arrogant, no collaboration and not valuing talent within the company. Shocking conversations being had in private by senior managers who should know better!! Certain senior managers are totally deluded about their impact on others and, in their line of work, they should be role modelling a little empathy at the very least.

Advice to Management

Go out and ask people for their ideas and ways of working. Don't think your way is the only way and you know best and don't treat people like idiots by not having open and honest conversations. You might want to review how HR talks to your employees too. Take an interest in your employees, you never know you might just learn something! Set up communities of practice and give your employees a voice, you have some great people working for you.

7. Life Changing Experience

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sunrise is a great place to work mainly because the residents we look after are so amazing. They all have stories to tell from amazing lives, have a sense of humour and even when they are a bit challenging at times it usually ends up in a laugh. It doesn't feel like going to work just to a large family home.

Cons

The job itself is great but the amount of paperwork that has to be completed due to legislation is ridiculous and takes the gloss off what is a great job.

8. "Sunrise Senior Living an awesome, warmly and wonderful family to be"

Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England
    Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working at Sunrise Senior Living because of the foundation belief. I feel this is heavenly. Furthermore, the mission statement, principles of service, the core values and the team member credo makes me feel comfortable and fulfilled in serving our residents.
    The residents are just so sweet to be with them. My co-workers are a formidable team. Together we form a wonderful family. Am always full of smiles, joy and fulfilled just to know that I can make a difference and put a smile on someone's face.
     I have been away from them for a couple of months due to sickness. Am amazed with the support and encouragements I have been receiving from the residents, management and co-workers. I am always emotional when am visited, receive cards and flowers from them, to the extent that I have been taken out for dinners organised by staff. I feel so humbled by these gestures of love. The management has always been in touch with me. This family is so special to me.
     I was amazed to receive a letter to acknowledge the long service I have been with Sunrise Senior Living. Hard work, commitment, dedication and passion is awarded at Sunrise Senior Living. In addition, to the remunerations i.e wages, pension, etc one is recognised for any extra effort made both for the residents as well as to members of staff i.e in form of shopping vouchers, soul and heart notes. I love this.

Cons

The main challenge has been the frequent changes of management. I guess it is unavoidable in a changing business environment. This however, has had an impact on some long term stay residents even some members of staff leaving. I believe there should be a balance on profit making and the Welfare of the residents.
    There has been challenges on annual leave approvals. At the beginning of the year everybody is requested to apply for the year. At times, it a problem to get approved on the specific times that one would like to have the time off due to lots of applications on that period. I do appreciate the challenge of satisfying everyone but at the same I recon that our residents have to be served at the highest standard possible to provide the quality of life.
    Apart from the basic training provided, I wish other extra relevant courses solicited by individuals could be allowed to enhance their job performance.

Advice to Management

Care staff turnover is too high that sometimes leads to some other few remaining team members being overworked in turn leading to being off sick. This disturbs residents and work flows. Members of staff should be encouraged to do some extra activities for themselves supported by Management i.e dance clubs, swimming clubs, dinners clubs etc for team building
    There should be a very clear chain of command. Instructions from so many people confuses and puts strain especially on the care staff. For example, the Lead Care Manager instructs the Care Manager the task to be carried out, the Nurse may come to give more instructions on another task, before the tasks are completed may be the Activities Coordinator requests another task to be done by the same individual. Before long the General Manager or Deputy Manager asks for an urgent task to be done.

9. not a nice company

Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

residents are the only nice thing about sunrise shame really could be such a nice place

Cons

resident treated like crap by staff and management do nothing i reported people nothing got done every thing gets swept under the carpet manager treats staff like crap dare you be off sick or need an operation you get sack or threaten to be theres so much i could say but this company does not care the are so greedy all they care about is money they do not care about residents or staff and never will could not stand it no more and left after 3 years of hell

Advice to Management

wish some would give them a wake up call or a good kick up the a

Working with a mixture of bright and beautiful staff and residents

Current Employee - Care Manager in Westbourne, England
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Westbourne, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like being able to choose what i want to wear to work instead of wearing a uniform, embracing a caring homely atmosphere, instead of an institution.

Cons

The stresses of day to day, Clashes in the care station, between management and care staff and the familiar feeling of being short staffed.

Advice to Management

push the core values of the company and team credo more as these are not seeming to be upheld as much as they used to.

All show

Former Employee - Care Manager in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot really place looks great but that's about it

Cons

High staff turn over always short staffed and pressure put on staff to work overtime the slated for being off sick for probably doing too many hours Too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging cliques and treat your staff as you would like to be treated without us workers you would be jobless

Sunrise Senior Living Photos