Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

"Sunrise Senior Living an awesome, warmly and wonderful family to be"

Current Employee - Lead Care Manager  in  Wolverhampton, England
    Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love working at Sunrise Senior Living because of the foundation belief. I feel this is heavenly. Furthermore, the mission statement, principles of service, the core values and the team member credo makes me feel comfortable and fulfilled in serving our residents.
    The residents are just so sweet to be with them. My co-workers are a formidable team. Together we form a wonderful family. Am always full of smiles, joy and fulfilled just to know that I can make a difference and put a smile on someone's face.
     I have been away from them for a couple of months due to sickness. Am amazed with the support and encouragements I have been receiving from the residents, management and co-workers. I am always emotional when am visited, receive cards and flowers from them, to the extent that I have been taken out for dinners organised by staff. I feel so humbled by these gestures of love. The management has always been in touch with me. This family is so special to me.
     I was amazed to receive a letter to acknowledge the long service I have been with Sunrise Senior Living. Hard work, commitment, dedication and passion is awarded at Sunrise Senior Living. In addition, to the remunerations i.e wages, pension, etc one is recognised for any extra effort made both for the residents as well as to members of staff i.e in form of shopping vouchers, soul and heart notes. I love this.

Cons

The main challenge has been the frequent changes of management. I guess it is unavoidable in a changing business environment. This however, has had an impact on some long term stay residents even some members of staff leaving. I believe there should be a balance on profit making and the Welfare of the residents.
    There has been challenges on annual leave approvals. At the beginning of the year everybody is requested to apply for the year. At times, it a problem to get approved on the specific times that one would like to have the time off due to lots of applications on that period. I do appreciate the challenge of satisfying everyone but at the same I recon that our residents have to be served at the highest standard possible to provide the quality of life.
    Apart from the basic training provided, I wish other extra relevant courses solicited by individuals could be allowed to enhance their job performance.

Care staff turnover is too high that sometimes leads to some other few remaining team members being overworked in turn leading to being off sick. This disturbs residents and work flows. Members of staff should be encouraged to do some extra activities for themselves supported by Management i.e dance clubs, swimming clubs, dinners clubs etc for team building
    There should be a very clear chain of command. Instructions from so many people confuses and puts strain especially on the care staff. For example, the Lead Care Manager instructs the Care Manager the task to be carried out, the Nurse may come to give more instructions on another task, before the tasks are completed may be the Activities Coordinator requests another task to be done by the same individual. Before long the General Manager or Deputy Manager asks for an urgent task to be done.

not a nice company

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Banstead, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

residents are the only nice thing about sunrise shame really could be such a nice place

Cons

resident treated like crap by staff and management do nothing i reported people nothing got done every thing gets swept under the carpet manager treats staff like crap dare you be off sick or need an operation you get sack or threaten to be theres so much i could say but this company does not care the are so greedy all they care about is money they do not care about residents or staff and never will could not stand it no more and left after 3 years of hell

wish some would give them a wake up call or a good kick up the a

All show

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a lot really place looks great but that's about it

Cons

High staff turn over always short staffed and pressure put on staff to work overtime the slated for being off sick for probably doing too many hours Too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Stop encouraging cliques and treat your staff as you would like to be treated without us workers you would be jobless

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was belittled by my manager and shocked by lack of care.

Former Employee - Health Care Assistant  in  Oxshott, England
    Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Oxshott, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay for my first full time job.

Cons

My manager called me stupid, then when I got upset, had a go at me for being upset.
    A lady was left waiting ages for toilet care - It was my first day and I was concerned she was being left for ages so I went to her and she screamed at me.
    You need a thick skin to work in care - and I have since moved on.
    In the assisted living restaurant I felt more like I worked as a waitress on the Titanic First Class Lounge.

Don't belittle your staff, consider what they are saying.
    Spend less time in the restaurant preparing things to be perfect. - I know perfection is a good thing but it honestly took every last ounce of joy out of me.

Working with a mixture of bright and beautiful staff and residents

Current Employee - Care Manager  in  Westbourne, England
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Westbourne, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like being able to choose what i want to wear to work instead of wearing a uniform, embracing a caring homely atmosphere, instead of an institution.

Cons

The stresses of day to day, Clashes in the care station, between management and care staff and the familiar feeling of being short staffed.

push the core values of the company and team credo more as these are not seeming to be upheld as much as they used to.

Experience of working as a qualified nurse.

Former Employee - RGN
    Former Employee - RGN

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Comfortable surroundings for seniors and good team support.

Cons

Insufficient staffing to provide consistently high quality care as advertised.

Too concentrated on profit, not enough on welfare of residents

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the care workers were great, a nice environment, residents were amazing to talk to. A mostly nice mox of activities, opportunities to get out with the residents

Cons

Low pay, low staff levels often lead to being asked to work longer hours despite having worked all day. High expectations with little help to reach them.

Increase pay, increase staffing levels

Not good at all.

Former Employee - Wellness Nurse  in  Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Wellness Nurse in Manchester, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed working in our Reminiscence dept. as Wellness Nurse. I miss the Seniors, Lead Cares and Care Managers since I have left.

Cons

I had a really bad experience with a Co-ordinator in our dept. I was disbelieved in a very bad situation in which I had been bullied..

Don't always take the Co-ordinators word as the truth in a situation.

activities and volunteers coordinator

Former Employee - Activities and Volunteers Coordinator  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Activities and Volunteers Coordinator in London, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

values, resident centered care, fabulous home, the whole concept sounded perfect place to work and develop a career

Cons

bully managers, uncaring HR, failed to deliver

Please listen to the staff and not just the general manager in perticular the ones that use bullying tatcts to get what they want, listen and listen some more

sunrise

Former Employee - Concierge  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Concierge in London, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for. Supportive and upward mobility potential.

Cons

None that I can think of.

none

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!