Susser Holdings

Add Photos

Susser Holdings President & CEO Sam L. Susser

Sam L. Susser

4 yrs here

ProsCompany growing fast and management is very smart and company is in very good hands.

ConsDifficult to balance work and personal life here. Salaries are low but stock/bonus make up for it.

No Allegiance And Office Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Corpus Christi, TX (US)

ProsStock Options. Nice break area with free fountain and wide coffee selection. Corporation based out of Corpus Christi.

ConsLots of inner circles and office politics. Poor leadership. People put in management positions based on seniority over qualifications. Lots of late nights and weekend work due to poor management.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overworked, Underpaid, and Unappreciated

Fuel Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) Corpus Christi, TX (US)

ProsYou get the title of a king, but the salary of a pauper.

ConsThe company notoriously works on a "seniority" style of promotion rather than by merits or qualifications. Being thrown under the bus daily, upper management completely ignores all HR cases filed.

Team members are barred from moving into any upper management areas. We were quick to understand that this department had no future beyond the job we had. Further team demoralization occurs and any sense of employee empowerment is gone. Micromanagement is constant.

They fire college degree employees after they implement and automate systems. Then they make those same employees train their replacements with high school/GED qualifications. This way they can work them more hours and pay them less. Employees are undervalued immensely.

This position also requires weekends and holidays to work. Work-life balance is almost impossible as the job requires 6am to 2pm work and rotational shifts until 11pm some days.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need better leadership and conflict management training. They also have to pay their employees better. Most importantly, they have to understand the value of their employees. I guarantee an internal or external HR audit with current employees would help them understand the grievances of those that work there and shed some light on improving employee retention and satisfaction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back environment, Strong equity share program (long term)

ConsCompensation and benefits, work/life balance

It is a geart company to work for.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Corpus Christi, TX (US)

ProsThey have a yearly company picnic.

Consopen 24hrs a day 7 days a week

Disrespectful customers and staff, constant work without breaks, and low pay.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX (US)

ProsIt's a job. You may be able to earn enough money to get to work the next day, ad infinitum.

ConsThe customers treat you like dirt, and most of your coworkers are probably going nowhere in life. As assistant manager, you are blamed for every discrepancy in the cash register, no matter who was at fault. And the stores don't follow company policy, because they make you personally pay for shortages, but they keep overages.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste your time recruiting from good universities unless you plan to start graduating students out in corporate. No self-respecting person with a future is going to work in an environment as demeaning and degrading as one of your stores.

The company has tried to nickel and dime me, even though I work hard and play by their rules.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX (US)

ProsTution Reimbursement
    Flexible with school schedule
    Can work as much or as little as you want if your a good worker

ConsBring in senior management who "knows everything," but really has no idea how the company works, Senior management belittles those below them, management is fake and holds empty promises, expects the world for minimum pay, does not reward those who work hard more than those who just clock in

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make sure Divisional Managers especially in the Lubbock area are trained properly, because what I have experienced their makes me actively looking for work else where if it wasn't for the tution rembursment I would have been long gone!

Overworked and Underpaid.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Corpus Christi, TX (US)

ProsPeople you work with are nice

ConsNot much career growth , long hours, under appreciated

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees before making and drastic changes

Good Pay, Horrible Enviroment

Cashier (Former Employee) Harlingen, TX (US)

Pros- Good Pay
    - Some people are laid back

Cons- Poor Management
    - They use you if you let them
    - Managers and works get to close
    - Unrealistic Expections
    - You can miss days or be late as long as you are friends with the manager
    - Other works are lazy
    - Most customers have very little patience

Advice to Senior ManagementManage the store.

IF you wanna work for little money and unvalued stripes is your place to work

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsYou can get full time hours... You can become a manager fairly easy

ConsHours can fluctuate, NO breaks or lunches are ever given,And you are not appreciated, The pay rate is very low for the kind of work we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to become involved on how employees at all stripes stores are being treated . Appreciate your employees more. Raise the pay rate. Value your workers then maybe there wont be so much employee turn overs.Most people who work for stripes end up quitting cause they feel underpaid and unappreciated

Worked for Susser Holdings? Contribute to the Community!