Symantec

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.2 1,580 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 192 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 64 reviews)

1,580 Employee Reviews

I would gladly work there again

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsGreat atmosphere, great trainings, great support, great customer focus, great product, great reference, fantastic kick-offs in Las Vegas

ConsLots of compliance trainings, very American culture, lack agility to develop products

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more agile and innovative especially for mobile security, and consumer data privacy....

Needs to invest in the future.

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsGood compensation, good products, broad base of customers. Talented dedicated people to work with.

ConsLacks direction for long term goals. Slow to market with new technology, lacks customer and business intelligence, driving growth is difficult. Customers are not clear on the Symantec offering. Very little room to grow professionally.

challenging, stressful and too disjointed.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsCompany still recognised as a global leader and still is a great job if you want to progress in your career. Also many employee rewards available including pension, den plan and gym membership.

ConsCompany is still in transition and the morale has dropped through the roof especially with management lacking direction. Also Symantec think they are something like Microsoft and Apple when they are clearly not. Still a lot of work and progress to be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance is non existent and with this, many employees are leaving for competitors in droves. At this rate they will struggle to get talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment. Nice balance between work and life.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Reading, England

Proswe can feel the team work here. Team is as one, and all work to go further.

ConsEventually the promotions... but its the normal in big teams.

Promotion, raise, then was asked to leave

UK Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsTONS of training constantly thrown at you and the culture is very much 'in the trenches'. From my experience, the departments worked really well together. Super friendly and inclusive, would definitely recommend working there. Above average wages, great pension.

ConsDespite working well together, management higher up seems to insist on getting involved with micro details and constantly moving the goal posts. I was given a promotion and a few raises before being asked to leave because my performance was poor. Literally I was given a bonus and a raise a week before.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and trust that the people you've hired are good at their job.

Good work-life balance and learning opportunities, poor management decisions and planning

Anonymous (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsThe company invest a lot in training and learning, overall pretty good salary ( if you are in the right role) and work-life balance, possibility to buy discounted company shares, gym allowance, pension, health & dental insurance. There is a opportunity to work from home. Work colleagues are generally nice and helpful, good office atmosphere.

ConsA lot of business units work in silos.The company is very american-centric and a lot of important decisions are being done in US. Poor Senior Management planning, politics, favouritism - it is all about who you know and relationships you have at the senior management level. The Senior Management create unnecessary duplicated roles/teams and then let people go. Frequant layoffs. 2 reorganisations/layoffs in less than one year.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to sort your planning out. Reoganisations and layoffs every year will not do any good for the company!.

Something to always remember

MSS Security Engineer (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsSymantec Teaches professionalism. Nice building. Indoor facilities (GYM), Located in a beautiful place.

ConsPoor staff, egotistical, unvoiced opinions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management required for MSS for the UK.

1 + 1 = 1?

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSome great people and great products. Good pay, benefits and facilities. A large and dedicated customer base, who are enthusiastic about their products.

ConsCreated one devalued organisation from the merger with VERITAS. A lack of understanding of the Enterprise market. Constant changes at VP and above, with each one coming in and having their grand vision, which was a parody of the last! It was like groundhog day.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate clearly defined business units aligned for each of the major customer groups, e.g. Consumer, SME, Enterprise, SI's/Partners. Align departments within each, with clear accountability at the top of each. Structures are confusing and over complicated.

Lots of talk about change, but disappointing results

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsSymantec brand probably isn't going anywhere.
    Work-life balance is good on our team (though I know that's inconsistent).
    Company has some exceptional talent.

ConsLots of needless process and paperwork. Every FOSS usage (including upgrading to a newer version of an existing package which may have security fixes) requires legal approval, and there's myriad different systems for tracking work. Some pieces of work are tracked in 4 different places

We've heard a lot about how the company structure has been altered to give line employees more power and decision making authority, but we've not seen the actual results of that.

The office systems (coffee machines, lifts, air conditioning, ventilation) are all notoriously unreliable and in some cases unsafe.

And what was this CEO nonsense supposed to be? What's Mike Brown going to do that's different?

Advice to Senior ManagementDemonstrate that you can actually listen to employee feedback by making changes based on employee feedback.

A good employer, ethical and employee focused. Always seeking to improve for benefit of employee, customer & shareholder

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood benefits package. Stable company. Great Portfolio of products. Company is constantly seeking to benefit needs of customers with employees and stakeholders.

ConsSometimes cumbersome processes. A lot of change has occurred recently and there is a need for a period of stability to allow employees to focus on performing in the market place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on driving agility to respond to needs of market.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!