Symantec

3.2 1,430 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

1,430 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies"
    in 167 reviews
  • "Good colleague relationships, location work environment"
    in 99 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF"
    in 58 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good employer, ethical and employee focused. Always seeking to improve for benefit of employee, customer & shareholder

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits package. Stable company. Great Portfolio of products. Company is constantly seeking to benefit needs of customers with employees and stakeholders.

ConsSometimes cumbersome processes. A lot of change has occurred recently and there is a need for a period of stability to allow employees to focus on performing in the market place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on driving agility to respond to needs of market.

1 + 1 = 1?

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome great people and great products. Good pay, benefits and facilities. A large and dedicated customer base, who are enthusiastic about their products.

ConsCreated one devalued organisation from the merger with VERITAS. A lack of understanding of the Enterprise market. Constant changes at VP and above, with each one coming in and having their grand vision, which was a parody of the last! It was like groundhog day.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate clearly defined business units aligned for each of the major customer groups, e.g. Consumer, SME, Enterprise, SI's/Partners. Align departments within each, with clear accountability at the top of each. Structures are confusing and over complicated.

Lots of talk about change, but disappointing results

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSymantec brand probably isn't going anywhere.
Work-life balance is good on our team (though I know that's inconsistent).
Company has some exceptional talent.

ConsLots of needless process and paperwork. Every FOSS usage (including upgrading to a newer version of an existing package which may have security fixes) requires legal approval, and there's myriad different systems for tracking work. Some pieces of work are tracked in 4 different places

We've heard a lot about how the company structure has been altered to give line employees more power and decision making authority, but we've not seen the actual results of that.

The office systems (coffee machines, lifts, air conditioning, ventilation) are all notoriously unreliable and in some cases unsafe.

And what was this CEO nonsense supposed to be? What's Mike Brown going to do that's different?

Advice to Senior ManagementDemonstrate that you can actually listen to employee feedback by making changes based on employee feedback.

Toxicity ruins what could be a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities for travel, and you get to work on relatively cutting-edge technology. If you're happy to be misogynistic, racist or homophobic then you'll likely enter the old-boy's club and therefore be treated fairly well.

ConsIf you're not in the old-boy's club you'll often be given the harder projects that they did not want to take for fear of failure. Because the more toxic people are high achievers, management will offer no support and will consistently fail to address issues of bullying, homophobia, and racism for fear of losing them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the toxicity and ineffective management, even if it means admonishing your star performers.

A good company in the past, the future is uncertain

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salaries compared to other local companies, friendly environment, many different job opportunities

ConsSome software is very old and obsolete, bad management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in Research and Development, try to increase employee satisfaction avoiding unfair annual reviews based on bare numbers

Many years of great expierence and then redundancy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsed to be a great company with great people and products!

ConsOrganisational changes were done without thinking through, letting great people go , not so great people stay , decision were based on personal relationships not your merits, leaving lots of people unhappy, lost faith

Advice to Senior ManagementStart changes with the management!

A good place to work but facing some tough challenges

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople - intelligent, excellent team spirit, loyal to the company, innovative ideas, passion for the for the organisation, want success and to for the company to be a great place to work.
Good brand, easy to attract and retain people.

ConsVery sales focussed which drives the culture and behaviours.
Lack of structured career development across the board.
Could do much better in the area of reward and recognition across the total employee population.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the employees who are still with the organisation - they have seen significant and often painful changes over the past few months, picked up additional work as a result of the downsizing and are not always rewarded or recognised for their loyalty and contribution.

Good Company< great people

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Reading, England

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, great atmosphere, relaxed

ConsCareer development, Rewarding, Pay and commision

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer development and reward employees who stand with company even in hard times

Used to be great, but really gone down hill over past 2 years and on a crash course it'll take a miracle to avoid

Account Director (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary above average and good benefits
Good working environment and lack of politics
Decent work/life balance
Still have a few leading technologies
Good brand recognition

ConsTerrible decision making and senior leadership
Almost all top talent left/leaving
Strategy and product roadmaps too far gone to be rescued

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to start with a clean sweep of management and start again, and recruit strong people from outside the business instead of always promoting from within, despite the fact the people are totally unqualified for the jobs they're given

Hectic but good

Gloucester, England

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Pension, Varied Work, Excellent Line Manager, Cutting edge technology, good compensation, regaular appraisals
I was always busy, never had time to clock watch, months flew by.

ConsExtended hierarchy meant you felt a long way from the top both in terms of management and physically.
Decision making could be protracted and painful.
A lot of changes at exec level meant the corporate message could be a bit vague and inconsistent although it felt to me like Steve Bennett looked like he was going to really improve things

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Symantec CEO Michael Brown. All 1,430 reviews are posted anonymously by Symantec employees.